Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum vs. Futaba?

Old 02-23-2012, 07:51 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum vs. Futaba?

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: fragile

After the DSM 2 Fiasco and a clever cover-up with a misleading 100 transmitter video,
I would stay clear of this brand!

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_nUL...141E4DF96A79F2
There is no DSM2 fiasco. This is just a load of BS. We have been flying DSM2 for years, in New York State, without issues. Brownouts are not crashing airplanes. If they happen at all they are one second events and usually the result of inadequate batteries, for the most part. JR/Spektrum products are just as reliable as Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics, etc..

DSMX is an advancement but it has not replaced DSM2. Since new equipment is DSMX, DSM2 will be phased out, but I do not see anyone rushing to replace DSM2.
I would guess. Some people will defend their ''Old Technolegy'' to the death. If DSM2 was better, then Spectrum would not gone to a Hopping scheem ... YA THINK!
I think that you are a very misinformed Brand Zelot. You are helping no one by spreading baseless rumors just to promote your favorite product.

I have used Futaba products for over 30 years and I have nothing against their 72Mhz or 2.4 radios. I switched to JR/Spektrum when 2.4 first came out as did many in my RC club. We have not been sorry that we did that. We have many experienced pilots, like mysely, who fly Turbine Jets and large, expensive Aerobatic planes, on DSM2 and DSMX, without issue.

If you don't like JR/Spektrum because a friend told you not to use it, then don't use it. If you are paid by a vendor to spread rumors then I feel sorry for you.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:57 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

I had 100's of flights on turbine powered aircraft using DSM2 since 2008 without even a hiccup. What gives u the idea that Futaba has a better link? Because it hops frequencies? At least with Spektrum you have a device that can give you an idea of how good the link is. Futaba has no such capability unless you're running a powerbox and then you can check Futaba fades.

Mike

Some people are just luckyer than others I would guess. Some people will defend their ''Old Technolegy'' to the death. If DSM2 was better, then Spectrum would not gone to a Hopping scheem ... Would They. Look Out ...
Boom, Bam, Crash ... Another Smok'en Spectrum Hole. Sorry LOL

LOL.....good one!

If Specktrum was so good, why do they keep re-inventing their 2.4 tech?
DSM, then DSM2, and now DSX....what's next HMS-Titanic2?
Did Apple come out with I-phone 4 because I-phone3 didn't work? Technology improves constantly, an argument could be made that Spektrum reacts to the market and implements new technology quicker than some of it's competitors. They're in business to get you to buy the newest, latest and greatest. That's how companies survive.

BTW, are you guys over 12yrs?

Mike
Is this about to degenerate into a "Mine is Bigger than yours" debate?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:03 PM
HoundDog

After the DSM 2 Fiasco and a clever cover-up with a misleading 100 transmitter video,

Check this out:

There is no DSM2 fiasco. This is just a load of BS. We have been flying DSM2 for years, in New York State, without issues. Brownouts are not crashing airplanes. If they happen at all they are one second events and usually the result of inadequate batteries, for the most part. JR/Spektrum products are just as reliable as Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics, etc..

DSMX is an advancement but it has not replaced DSM2. Since new equipment is DSMX, DSM2 will be phased out, but I do not see anyone rushing to replace DSM2.
I would guess. Some people will defend their ''Old Technolegy'' to the death. If DSM2 was better, then Spectrum would not gone to a Hopping scheem ... YA THINK!
I think that you are a very misinformed Brand Zelot. You are helping no one by spreading baseless rumors just to promote your favorite product.

I have used Futaba products for over 30 years and I have nothing against their 72Mhz or 2.4 radios. I switched to JR/Spektrum when 2.4 first came out as did many in my RC club. We have not been sorry that we did that. We have many experienced pilots, like mysely, who fly Turbine Jets and large, expensive Aerobatic planes, on DSM2 and DSMX, without issue.

If you don't like JR/Spektrum because a friend told you not to use it, then don't use it. If you are paid by a vendor to spread rumors then I feel sorry for you.
BuschBarber Look in the earlier post but to bring ya up to speed. In a 9 week period I witnessed and experianced 1 of 13 Spectrum 5,6, or 7' just loose all contact with tha receiver and crash the airplanes. Like flying airplanes with spectrum radios or "RETRACTS" there those that have or will have a gear up Experiance ... CRASH. It's inevitable because of the implimatation of the 2.4 Ghz Spectrum ... i.e. only 2 channels and no hopping ... if it was a good system they would have no need of the Spectrum 8. Now (In another Fourm on RCU) people are reporting problems using the old recievers with the new Radios. Apperantily backward compatibility wasn't such a good Idea. Steve Jobs new that, else there would be a lot more Macintosh's around. Backward compatibility only stiffles the groth of a better system. You only have to look at Microsoft to understand ... but it does improve the bottom line.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:07 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing has changed since the first postings made shortly after Spektrum introduced 2.4.
Those who could not grasp how the new technology works, ran helter skelter trying to guess why their experiences were not positive .
The posting seen in this batch of drivel show that very clearly
Old 02-23-2012, 08:08 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Check this out:

BuschBarber Look in the earlier post but to bring ya up to speed. In a 9 week period I witnessed and experianced 1 of 13 Spectrum 5,6, or 7' just loose all contact with tha receiver and crash the airplanes. Like flying airplanes with spectrum radios or ''RETRACTS'' there those that have or will have a gear up Experiance ... CRASH. It's inevitable because of the implimatation of the 2.4 Ghz Spectrum ... i.e. only 2 channels and no hopping ... if it was a good system they would have no need of the Spectrum 8. Now (In another Fourm on RCU) people are reporting problems using the old recievers with the new Radios. Apperantily backward compatibility wasn't such a good Idea. Steve Jobs new that, else there would be a lot more Macintosh's around. Backward compatibility only stiffles the groth of a better system. You only have to look at Microsoft to understand ... but it does improve the bottom line.
Wow, I'm out of here, I'll send an interpreter in for the rest of you fellows.

Mike
Old 02-23-2012, 08:20 PM
HoundDog

Check this out:

BuschBarber Look in the earlier post but to bring ya up to speed. In a 9 week period I witnessed and experianced 1 of 13 Spectrum 5,6, or 7' just loose all contact with tha receiver and crash the airplanes. Like flying airplanes with spectrum radios or ''RETRACTS'' there those that have or will have a gear up Experiance ... CRASH. It's inevitable because of the implimatation of the 2.4 Ghz Spectrum ... i.e. only 2 channels and no hopping ... if it was a good system they would have no need of the Spectrum 8. Now (In another Fourm on RCU) people are reporting problems using the old recievers with the new Radios. Apperantily backward compatibility wasn't such a good Idea. Steve Jobs new that, else there would be a lot more Macintosh's around. Backward compatibility only stiffles the groth of a better system. You only have to look at Microsoft to understand ... but it does improve the bottom line.
Wow, I'm out of here, I'll send an interpreter in for the rest of you fellows.

Mike
Mikey, Mikey, Mikey. Don't go away MAD. U arn't listening. My statements come from my personal observations ... Not hear say or the like. If you refuse to belieave that so be it ... Sorry if I offended your EGO.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Extra Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll bet sp~rektrum has now caused more plane wrecks than 72mhz ever did. And at a record speed. Just another company hurrying to market sub par/sub quality products and rushing itself to inevitable death testing its "better than" attitude on all the fools who rushed in. I love Horizon Hobbies, but all this just because they wanted to have a radio line so they can compete with the Hobbico/Futaba/Greatplanes giant. A little of the blame to all involved.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:52 PM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: rmh

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

If you're getting true brown outs then its a power problem not a radio problem and you will get that with any radio system if you don't provide adaquate power input.

True. But not all radios have the same threshold or reaction to a loss of voltage. If a low voltage ''brown out'' can be induced by normal flight operations versus the low voltage being due to an actual battery problem (loss of charge, depletion, pack damage), then those are fundamentally different situations and to say that all radios are susceptible to brown outs is not particularly meaningful. In addition, some radios are also capable of warning that the voltage is getting dangerously low before it actually causes a loss of control.
Noyt exactly- the typical problem is NOT voltage getting low but instead, the the current demand -(peak current demands) depresses the voltage below operating threshold
NO radios detect that .

A convenient excuse. Quantify the current demand please. I think you will find its not as demanding as some would have us believe.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:53 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

I had 100's of flights on turbine powered aircraft using DSM2 since 2008 without even a hiccup. What gives u the idea that Futaba has a better link? Because it hops frequencies? At least with Spektrum you have a device that can give you an idea of how good the link is. Futaba has no such capability unless you're running a powerbox and then you can check Futaba fades.

Mike

Some people are just luckyer than others I would guess. Some people will defend their ''Old Technolegy'' to the death. If DSM2 was better, then Spectrum would not gone to a Hopping scheem ... Would They. Look Out ...
Boom, Bam, Crash ... Another Smok'en Spectrum Hole. Sorry LOL

LOL.....good one!

If Specktrum was so good, why do they keep re-inventing their 2.4 tech?
DSM, then DSM2, and now DSX....what's next HMS-Titanic2?
FASST, FASSTEST, FHSS
True advancements on a solid baseline technology, unlike Specktrum's DMS, then DSM2, and finally DSX, a parade of fixes and patches.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:01 AM
rmh

ORIGINAL: TimBle

ORIGINAL: rmh

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

If you're getting true brown outs then its a power problem not a radio problem and you will get that with any radio system if you don't provide adaquate power input.

True. But not all radios have the same threshold or reaction to a loss of voltage. If a low voltage ''brown out'' can be induced by normal flight operations versus the low voltage being due to an actual battery problem (loss of charge, depletion, pack damage), then those are fundamentally different situations and to say that all radios are susceptible to brown outs is not particularly meaningful. In addition, some radios are also capable of warning that the voltage is getting dangerously low before it actually causes a loss of control.
Noyt exactly- the typical problem is NOT voltage getting low but instead, the the current demand -(peak current demands) depresses the voltage below operating threshold
NO radios detect that .

A convenient excuse. Quantify the current demand please. I think you will find its not as demanding as some would have us believe.

Be serious - you apparantly still do not understand the relationship of load to voltage depression-
Old 02-24-2012, 04:20 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

futaba by far this a better system that was built for r/c planes, specktrum in my opinion is junk that has crashed more planes than futaba. check the stats.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:44 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Threads like this are such a waste.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:06 AM
rmh

ORIGINAL: blhollo2

futaba by far this a better system that was built for r/c planes, specktrum in my opinion is junk that has crashed more planes than futaba. check the stats.
Stats?
the ramblings seen here are hardly stats .
Old 02-24-2012, 06:22 AM
grimbeaver

I don't understand why Spektrum has to make so many different receivers and why they need satellite receivers. Perhaps they should focus on making one rx correctly rather then having dozens of rx in different sizes. I have a DX8 and an Aurora 9. Everything just seems simpler with my Aurora 9 and it will continue to be my primary radio.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:24 AM
abcarr711

This has gotten way off base. This thread started with an issue regarding DSMX/DSM2 AR8000 intentionally mislabeled by Horizon Hobby/Spektrum. A plane crash using a mislabeled AR8000. And a question about if anyone else had seen this issue. I have seen responses from someone that obviously works for Horizon who did a little more research on my issue, yet no one ever responded to the mis-label and the potential for things to get mixed up. No info on technical bulletins advising this was a potential issue.
To me, and I am the one that started this thread, this remains the issue. Very bad marketing and excuses from Horizon Hobby, poor judgement in customer service by not even acknowledging my letter of concern or replying to it. And the fact that they are labeled DSM2 when they are actually DSMX and are not compatible with each other? Come on.
Stick with the issues here. It is not about why the plane crashed, although I do feel the receiver mismatch is most likely the issue. To me it is all about customer service and the way it was handled. They accepted no responsibility for any of it with the exception of admitting the AR8000 was labeled wrong because they had not made the announcement of the DSMX system.
I remain very disappointed and looking elsewhere due to their state of denial that this is actually an issue for several people, not just me.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:38 AM
garywaters
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Guy’s

I started in the hobby only a few years back.

My first Radio was a DX5 then move up to a DX 7 now I have the DX8.

None of my Spektrum Radio’s lost link to the airplanes.

Last year I did change out my 4.8V packs for 6V packs, just to be on the safe side.

I’m a little bit disappointed with HH not having knowledgeable staff answering the phone.

I have gotten bad information on the phone many times. 

ON the other side
When I send in my Rx they check it out for free and update it if needed.

So they are trying hard and most of the time good service.

I say,,, fly with whatever works best for you .

And most of all ....don’t believe in everything you read on the internet.

Good Luck,,,

Old 02-24-2012, 06:51 AM
Paul_BB

Looks like the 2.4 technology is not that miraculous, or at least not mature.
I'll wait another couple of year before dumping my good old FM radios.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:05 AM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Abcarr711-

If you have an attorney friend who is able to write a letter on your behalf, you may find that indemnification against collateral damage is not protected when the company is negligent in any way as to cause your crash. It is worth sending a letter to recover losses in the crash...be sure to itemize your losses.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:15 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"I’m a little bit disappointed with HH not having knowledgeable staff answering the phone."

The moral of that story is "you get what you pay for".

I worked in a local hobby shop after my retirement; Pay was minimum wage, so most the the employees were kids, that knew little.

Les
Old 02-24-2012, 07:44 AM
zebt66

Last Saturday similar thing happened to me. I am using a DX7 Remote with a AR7000 DSM2 Receiver with a satellite. I had just bought a RC Guys Super Decathlon from a local member at the club. He was flying that plane with his Futaba. All i did after i bought it was changed the receiver with my AR7000. Did all the flights checks and Range checks, Every thing seemed good. All my connections had a clip on it. Well about after 5 minutes of flying, i lost complete control over my plane, i had people witness it. I basically saw my plane coming into a nose dive from a real high Altitude with me having no control over it. Well the plane was trashed. First flight and that much damage really freaked me out. Costed me a lot of money. 

I called horizon hobby they told me they don't cover any damage to my plane. They asked me to send my Engine (Evolution 40GX), DX7 controller and AR7000 receiver in for service. I mailed it out Monday and they had it Wednesday. I got a Email from them saying they received my mail. Well i think there is some thing wrong with there check in procedure. This is what i got from there electronic department:

"Your product to be serviced (request XXXXXXXX) has been received by the Horizon Hobby Service Center.  The following items were checked in to the Service Center under the associated work order(s):

Work order C836614:
Items List:
 SPMDX7 1, Spectrum DX7
 SPM9545 1, DSM2 Remote Receiver
 SPM9521 1, Spektrum 1500mAh NiMH Tx Pack
 SPM6070 1, **REORD SPMAR7010  

........................................."

Why does it say REORD SPMAR7010? That shows me there was some thing wrong with my receiver and that it locked out? Manufacturer defect? If it was, i would like to get some kind of a discount on my next plane...which i already ordered a H9 27% Extra 260 from horizon hobby 2 days ago. I mean i lost a $1500 plane because of some thing wrong with the receiver....i am just wondering!!! 

Old 02-24-2012, 07:56 AM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

I have been using spektrum equipment for 5 years with zero loss in planes due to the radio system! I bought a dx8 about a year ago and started adding telemetry modules to my planes and that is when I found that many of my planes had inadequate batteries on them! I had voltage drops as low as 4.6 volts in flight so I started replacing the nimh batteries out with high discharge life batteries with 20-30c discharge and the voltage drops stopped on all my planes except one. I found that I had a defective switch that was creating the voltage drop on higher loads from digital servos on the plane and after the replacement of the switch the problem disappeared. I am a big fan of telemetry and believe it may have saved me one or two planes! If you are too cheap and do not use telemetry and you lose your plane to a re-occuring radio issue then the crash is "YOUR FAULT" for being a cheap arse!!! I do have to admit the satelite extensions from of all places, hobby king are much better made with thicker wire and or insulation than oem spektrum extensions!
Old 02-24-2012, 08:09 AM
ackroyd
My Feedback: (8)

Its all about trust and confidence in the radio system, and thats all very subjective.

I had a Spectrum DX7 and after a few AR500 issues, I lost confidence (and a few planes). After loosing confidence in a radio system, even through 99.99% of the time i had no issues, it is very hard to trust it again.

I switched to Futaba (S-FHSS) and now have 100% confidence.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:29 AM
eddieC

Abcarr711, it sounds like HH is getting off cheap, don't let them. They admitted the mislabeling, so it's entirely their responsibility. Bringing a substandard product to market is becoming accepted, and we need to reverse the trend. So they contend the mislabeling is human error? Fine, cover the loss HH, you're selling lots of product, covering one incident shouldn't be a problem. Oh wait, there were hundreds of 'human errors'? Then maybe this isn't the business to be in, it's that or increase your insurance level, cuz you're going to need it!

If you have an attorney friend who is able to write a letter on your behalf, you may find that indemnification against collateral damage is not protected when the company is negligent in any way as to cause your crash. It is worth sending a letter to recover losses in the crash...be sure to itemize your losses.  

I'd follow up on this! 

Old 02-24-2012, 09:34 AM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

I fly spektrum and i can pee this high up a tree.
I fly futaba and I have to sit to pee.
If you cant pee higher ill sue you .
Old 02-24-2012, 09:57 AM
eddieC

mighty9,

You obviously haven't been the victim of grossly substandard products or service, and I hope you never will. I also hope you educate yourself on abusive and fraudulent business practices. Unethical companies, insurance companies and their defense attorneys love people like you.

My brother was a victim of medical malpractice, was subsequently disabled and lived the rest of his life in pain. He didn't want people thinking he was 'cashing in' on the injury. It contributed to his early death. He followed doctor's directions after the injury, didn't realize he was being patronized until the statute of limitations ran out. He was worked by the system.

My apology, hijack over. Back to your previous programming...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.