Community
Search
Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

Brian Taylor 81" Mosquito

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 08:18 AM
Rogue Wolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brian Taylor 81" Mosquito

Good Day All

After many years of having the BTMosquito plans and bits sitting under the bed, I finally decided to build the thing, I wasthinking of installing a couple of saito 4 stroke engines. Since I bought the plans, engine technology has changed somewhat. While searching the web for a suitable power plant for the model, I came across the RCVSP range,I hadn't heard of, let alone seena RCV-SP motor before.

The plans recommend two .40 to .50 cu. in. 4-stroke engines, the wingspan is81" / 2.057 m, not sure what the completed weight is supposed to be. My query is, will the RCV60-SPproduce the power required to fly the mosquito comfortable, with suitable power to get it out of trouble if needed.

Regards
Richard
Old 10-29-2010, 02:25 PM
mboland

Default RE: Brian Taylor 81

The RCV SP motors are very strong but not very fast.

By this I mean, they pull like a freight train, but at a scale like speed.
As an illustration, I had a 120SP in a very heavy TF corsair (6kg), swinging a 4 blade 15.5" x 12" prop at 5.5K
I thought it was going to be a missile across the sky but was very surprised when lifted off at a very sedate scale like speed.
I was then concerned that I did not have enough power and was waiting for it to fall out of a loop. I need'nt have worried, it just hauled that 6kg around at the same speed whether I was going straight up or straight down.

And they sound great.

I currently have a 61SP I am fitting to a SeaFury, currently with a 15.5" x 12" 4 blade (yes, the same size as the 120) which it is managing to spin at 4.2K, which was very surprising. I will probably trim it down to pick the revs up towards 5K before flight, but it looks nice and scale on the aircraft.

Building ductwork for cooling is going to be the next challenge.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:53 PM
PeterF

Richard,

You may like to take a look at my build log of my BT Mosquito that I am building with 2 x RCV60SP engines.

Unluckily I have not yet completed the build so I can not report on performance but it may give you a couple of ideas about fitting the RCV engines into the model.

Best of luck whatever engine you decide on.

[link=http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14905&PN=2]Peterf's 81" Brian Taylor Mosquito Build Log[/link]

Peter.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Rogue Wolf

Good Day Guys

Thank you for your replies, I'm new to this field of model engineering. I bought these plans and several others about 20 years ago, since then I've been building scale warships.

As with the model ships, scale speed is what's aimed for, but it's always nice to have alittle in reserve just in case (not that important with ships, you may need it to out run an angry duck though). And it would be nice to fly with a scale prop fitted. I hate the look of a fairly large model flying around with pop sticks (ice cream sticks)as propellers, it just looks wrong. The other thing I dislike is the high pitch scream of a two stroke (no offence to two stroke flyers), it just doesn't sound right in a classic war plane, you need the deep purr of a four stroke. Do these engines have that sound.

I saw your build log, that's what has got me asking about these engine, never seen thembefore. The mosquito plans I've got, look the same as yours, looking at your build log,yours is the PR XVI, the plans I have show both the Fighter and Recon/Bomber versions (I've also gotthe canopies for both versions), I haven't decided which version I want yet, but I'm leaning towards the fighter with has always been one of my favourites.

It's the research that makes the build interesting.

Richard.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Joe Lott

Richard,

Don't know how much this will help, but here is my experience with the 60SP. When I purchased my first RCV engine, a 120SP for a very heavy TF Corsair, mboland eased my mind. He was correct in that the SP series of engines have an extreme amount of "pull". Large loops are not a problem.

I was so happy with that engine that I bought a 60SP for a .50 size Zero. The Zero weighs in at 7 lbs.-8 oz. and I'm turning a 15.5x13 APC bobbed to 14" dia. for ground clearance purposes. The 60SP turns this prop at 4200rpm with the big needle set a few clicks rich of max. rpm. On takeoff it takes about half a circuit to get up to speed, where I then throttle back to half throttle. Half throttle is where I run the engine, throttling up for loops or any manuver requiring a gain in altitude. I added flaps to the little Zeke to slow it down for landings as it's tough to slow it down with that big prop, even at idle. Add flaps. It sure helps!

Another thing, these engines are pretty stingy with fuel, which is nice.

Good luck,
Joe
Old 02-26-2012, 09:10 AM
PeterF

Well, many months after replying to this question I have finally made the maiden flight with my BT Mosquito with 2 x RCV60SP engines.

Details can be found on RCScaleBuilder [link=http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14905&PN=1&TPN=16]Peterfs 81" Mosquito build log[/link]

In summary, the model weighs 17 lbs 12 oz dry and fueled up 18 lbs 14oz. The engines are RCV60SP and they are from about 2001 - they have been sat around for a long time before being used. They have the Weston UK in cowl silencers. I made the maiden flight with the 16x12 APC 2 blade propellors running up to about 5,300rpm on the ground and there was a lot of thrust, top speed was good but a bit down on expectations. Next flight will be with 15x14 APC 2 blade props to see if I can alter the balance between thrust and speed. The take off run had plenty of acceleration so I have some margin for lower thrust.

I was always a little concerned but people have quoted 9lb planes being flown well on an RCV60SP so I kept these in my model even when I had some doubts and it has paid off, they are completely hidden in the cowls.