Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Tiger moth

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Tiger moth

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 06:03 PM
SCOTT42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Tiger moth

Hello all, I have acquired a very nice Great planes Dehaveland Tiger moth, I hope to get started on it this week. I will be powering it with a OS 1.20 surpass 4 stroke engine, not sure which servoes im useing, but will have it figured out soon I hope. Im gonna do my best to post this build as I go so please stay tuned. Any thoughts or recomendations before I get started? I would love to see photos of some thats been built and learn what I can about it. Thank you Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96583.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1733108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73006.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1733109  
Old 02-27-2012, 07:48 PM
lear31A
My Feedback: (123)

Default RE: GP Tiger moth

what a great airplane! I have recovered mine blue and silver. Love it! I have an os91 surpass and it is more power than it needs.....
Old 02-27-2012, 08:38 PM
grimmy55

make sure you cover it in solatex or koverall to give it that correct look I,ve done mine in the yellow with all the markings the gauges on dash I did the surrounds in brass as well as compass used eyelets for instruments and beat them flat to give them the proper look ,,,would sell my Tiger for all the tea in china mind you I don,t fly it often to scared i might have a mishap and waste all those hours and hours of work which I dont think I have the patience to repeat on another one ,,I,d post pictures but dont know how to maybe one day some one will explain
Old 02-28-2012, 08:21 PM
52larry52

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scott42, I also have a Great Planes Tiger Moth ARF, unbuilt in the box, part of my kit/ARF stash that I will build "someday". Maybe if you start a build thread I will be motivated to assemble mine. Model Airplane News did a review on this ARF in thier march 2002 issue and noted an error in the top wing assembly instructions. If you have access to this old MAN issue you might want to read it before you start glueing parts. (error has to do with setting the dihedral on the top wing).
Old 03-04-2012, 08:12 PM
scrambow
My Feedback: (3)

Great airplane. I've had mine for about 5 years now and it is always a pleasure to fly. I have a Saito FA82 in mine and it is more than enough power. I fly with 60 size GP floats and it has plenty of power off the water as well.

The 120 will be heavy and too much power IMHO. The real moth flies slow and graceful and the FA82 does just that. I fly around on bout 1/3 throttle and rarely go full power.

Scrambow
Old 03-06-2012, 04:53 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my favorite planes, been flying it about 5 years with a Magnum 91 which works perfect. Just used standard servos, flys great, and looks good in the air, lands slow. The 120 will work fine, weight is not a problem with all that wing area.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:35 AM
BountyHunter51

What a great find!
I flew mine with an OS91 Surpass and found it to be a nice combination.
I sold mine a couple of years ago and have always regretted it. I'd jump at the chance to get another NIB Tiger Moth.
Cheers!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:12 PM
SCOTT42

Thanks guys, Ive not been able to get started on it yet. Once I get a couple of repaired planes out of the way Im gonna get started on it. Ive got all my gear ready to go into it, just got to do it.