Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

Skidoo Rev XP snowmobile hop-up

Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

Skidoo Rev XP snowmobile hop-up

Old 02-27-2012, 03:18 PM
sokey70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Skidoo Rev XP snowmobile hop-up

Lookin good guys. Techyjoe - what thickness is that aluminum motor mount? 1/16?
Old 02-27-2012, 03:49 PM
hunternaf

Hopefully, because of my perpetual laziness, one and a half to two weeks.

You are a whole lot further than me, I bought 2 of these snowmobiles shortly after I found this thread, ran them around the backyard track a couple of times and put them back in the boxes, now I just read about them here. Gary
Old 02-27-2012, 05:40 PM
sokey70

My hood is stuck in the very front - tips on popping it off or removing it?

EDIT - Found a screw lol
Old 02-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Brushlessed
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: subcaptian

I thought of that too, but I realized that when the suspension is pushed up, the track goes straight to the drive wheel, and it doesn't touch the swingarm. Although, in the event that does happen I am going to be rounding the edges down so it slides over it. It's easier to see when the suspension is actually mounted, and at the rate I'm going that should be done soon if my supplies can be kept in stock, eg. nuts, washers, allthread, aluminum strips to support the tunnel, and so on. Hopefully, because of my perpetual laziness, one and a half to two weeks.
Haha!!! I'm sure you'll get it all figured out. I just spent 5 hours on my R/C sled, but now I need to spend a little time getting my big sled ready to go, we are supposed to get 12-16" over here in MN tonight!!! That would be fun with R/C!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:39 AM
subcaptian

Ya, over the past 2 days we just got like 14 inches of snow, and it's snowing outside right now pretty hard! Need to finish this! Oh, and I completely finished the rear suspension, just need to stop out at Morgan's Steel and pick up the aluminum. Next up, motor mount and belt drive, and the track drive wheel. Hurricane-fibers, any tips on this part?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:31 PM
TechyJoe

Sokey70

The aliminum I used for the prototype is .032. I use this to prototype because I can cut and drill it easily using my dremel. For the real motor mount, I plan on using .025 (thicker) brass sheet. This is thick and strong but cuts easy with the dremel.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:05 PM
sokey70

ORIGINAL: TechyJoe

Sokey70

The aliminum I used for the prototype is .032. I use this to prototype because I can cut and drill it easily using my dremel. For the real motor mount, I plan on using .025 (thicker) brass sheet. This is thick and strong but cuts easy with the dremel.
Good to know, thanks! Does the brass cut fast than aluminum with the dremel but still hold up fine? I just got my sled all apart last night, now I'm working on a similar mount but am only planning on pullies. Also installing Hurricane's setup for the MXZ - too many projects.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:18 PM
subcaptian

Am I the only guy that uses 1/8th aluminum?
Old 02-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Brushlessed
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: subcaptian

Ya, over the past 2 days we just got like 14 inches of snow, and it's snowing outside right now pretty hard! Need to finish this! Oh, and I completely finished the rear suspension, just need to stop out at Morgan's Steel and pick up the aluminum. Next up, motor mount and belt drive, and the track drive wheel. Hurricane-fibers, any tips on this part?
Lucky!!! The ocean currents are bringing you all of my snow!!! (An insane amount, if I'm correct!!!!) We are getting a major spring storm here. The jet stream finally changed.
How much snow have you gotten this year?!?
Old 02-28-2012, 02:31 PM
subcaptian

Probably close to two feet, maybe 18-20 inches. I'm on the Kenai Peninsula, we have mountains on all sides that block most of the snow. But, a little south of me, in Anchor Point they have 4 foot drifts of pure powder. Lets see, if I took my REV down there, thats 28 scale feet of snow!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:03 PM
sokey70

Nothing big but i test fit a 5x11 bearing tonight and it fit perfect. I plan on using 2-3 on each end of my track wheel shaft. I'm also in the process of making a hub like Hurricane's to hold the track wheels and mount it on 5mm steel rod.

Hurricane's
Old 02-29-2012, 09:59 AM
TechyJoe

sokey70 and others

Guys
Using just pulleys on the Rev-XP will probably not work very well. The space available will not provide enough clearence for a large enough spur pulley to convert the motor energy into enough torque to turn the large track.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:19 AM
sokey70

Boo, not even a 10 and a 40? That would give me a 4:1 ratio.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:15 AM
TechyJoe

sokey70
If you can get a 40 tooth spur pulley to fit the space, it will most likely work ok. Do you have a pulley in mind with that many teeth which will fit the space? If so, I'd also be interrested in this.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:19 AM
TechyJoe

Also FYI
The original stock Rev-XP gear ratio is about 8:1. The mods I made in the early part of this thread reduced that to about 4.2:1
Old 03-01-2012, 07:15 AM
sokey70

I was going to get one from [link=https://sdp-si.com/eStore/]SDP/SI[/link] like [link=https://sdp-si.com/eStore/PartDetail.asp?Opener=Group&PartID=8054&GroupID=347]this[/link]. From what I can tell the flange diameter is about 30mm which will be a little large so i was going to just trim it down. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but these look like they will work to me.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:33 PM
sokey70

Techyjoe - I saw that you replaced the Duratrax springs with the stock ones. I just installed the same shocks on my front suspension and as-is they compress nice but the rebound from the spring is horrible - the shocks stay about 3/4 compressed. By doing the stock spring did you find it stiffer and better for this?

Also, I have a motor mount in the works along with pulleys and a belt. This is getting fun, just when the snow is melting...
Old 03-07-2012, 05:52 AM
TechyJoe

sokey70

Yeah, the springs which came with the Duratrax shocks were way to mushy and the weight of the body really dropped the shock down below where they should normally sit so I replaced them with the stock springs. The stock springs may be a bit too stiff but they work better than the Duratrax ones (something inbetween the two would work best).

Winter is over here for me so I'm busy working on other projects (cars, boats, planes etc.). Please post the some pictures of your design and the components you used - I look forward to seeing it.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:50 AM
TechyJoe

Hi everyone

Another season is here and I've been working on a few more upgrades.

I recently added some rail extenders to the track assembly. I had some trouble with the track slipping off the back wheels while performing sharp turns at speed. The rail extenders will stop this from happening.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61948.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1829522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17854.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	1829523  
Old 12-13-2012, 08:02 AM
TechyJoe

Motor upgrade

I've also been continueing to work on that motor upgrade. I would like a little more speed and power so I've been trying to figure out the best way to fit in a full 540 brushless.

I scrapped the pully idea. This was cuasing to many problems with binding etc.

So, I went full circle back to the modified gear systems. Here are my steps:

1) I purchased a 3mm reamer/tap kit from the local hobby store.
2) Drilled 3mm threaded holes into my motor to fit the existing gear housing. The holes are 7mm from center.
3) Used the threading tap to add screw threads to the holes
4) Cut a large slot into the top of the chassis tunnel so the motor has room to fit in.
5) Now the gear housing will need to be beefed up and re-inforced like I did for the Himax motor so the torque does not rip it apart.
6) I'll be adding some fiberglass to fill in the slotted area around the motor to seal everything off.

Here are some pictures of my progress so far.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60716.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	1829547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu63864.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	1829548   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz66889.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	1829549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz72985.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	1829550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs95190.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1829551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fv26182.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1829552  
Old 12-13-2012, 05:39 PM
trx young gun

Very nice, i have been making me a snowmobile as well it has a 3000 kv brushless motor and aluminum upgrades.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Burnsy895

Hey TechyJoe,

saw your videos on youtube for this and got interested and it brought me here,

Have a quick question first, I just got one of these for christmas and had it out in mildly soft snow and the power was weak, then it just quit, was wondering if you could let me know what could've gone wrong? the skis still turn and the motor will move an inch and a bit but theres little to no whine in the engine when im trying to get it moving. was looking for some insight

also was wondering what it would cost to do all of these upgrades to mine and how much work and skill it would take, 17 year old kid here with not much skill in these machines but enjoy when things move quickly and this is truely a slowmobile

Thanks and keep this thing going, it looks like it will be a total blast

Merry Christmas

Old 12-26-2012, 11:47 PM
trx young gun

Bernsy you need to take out all the electronics and if you want power with very little time hook a big motor to your gearbox, change your servo this all will cost you under 90 dollars or less if you do brushed.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:51 PM
ScoobySting

Techy,
First off, thank-you for some insight on your XP mods. Read from end to end. Also thank-you to all others her who contributed valuable nfo, and I will try to mod my XP sleds with what I've found. I will post a new thread as I go on thru the paces. I was not sure what brushless/ESC combo to start with, since it is rather a small cab with limited space, and don't want to punch too many holes in the chassis for strength. If I'm correct, the best size to for is 480, right? And using the traxxas/RR pinion setup should work? No premature wear as I understand? The next thing I'll look into is servo size. Was looking for as much power possible that squeezes between the shock mounts. Will try variations on the track mods here too. Thanks again guys!

S
Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 AM
TechyJoe

No problem ScoobySing

Glad I (we) could help. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Anyone's information on making these things better is welcome.

Yes, 480 should mount right up. Do not go crazy with the kv rating though (4000kv+ is too large a rating). 2300-3300 is best. Remember, the lower the kv, the more power but the slower it will go and vice a versa.

Here is some extra info I have found on ESC selection:

I have tried several:
1) Castle Sidewinder,
2) Associated SC700
3) and the Traxxas Velineon.

What I have found is all but the Traxxas seem to hiccup and stutter some at vehicle startup using a 11.1v lipo. I'm not sure why but my guess is that they cannot supply/dissipate enough current correctly to get the large track going. All seem to work fine when using 7.1v lipos but you will want the extra cell and voltage for more speed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.