Community
Search
Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Return of Lunchbox..

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Hwa224

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Return of Lunchbox..

Broken parts beside body mounts, wire springs, and plastic body:

1) lower shock eyelets (due to bad crash and bad driving)
2) lower front arm, but still works and is being used, even though I have replacments.
3) servo. ditto with stupid driving. plastic servo gears broke before anything else did.
4) Counter gears due to the use of bearing grease that was based on mineral oils any such lube will deform the plastic gears over time. Mine did enough to the point that my gearbox was making noise going in reverse. Thankfully, replacing those gears was extremely inexpensive.
5) Front wheel. The collar that holds the bearings popped off, basically, which is what had started me on the whole wheel and tire hunting spree from 2 pages back.

BTW, I would never recommend the direct aluminum body mount replacements as they place the next weakest link in the chain to the chassis itself. Better mounts exist. (Don't ask, just read 1-2 pages back please.)

Also, the LEXAN body itself tore up in about 12 different places. I fixed up the body and reinforced it by applying a layer of Amazing Goop on the inside. Now all's well. The Lexan shell has a flexible shock absorption property to it and the worst crashes do nothing but scrape the outside, which is acceptable.

My LB is dialed in. The only thing I worry about ever is losing body clips for when my LB does bad skids on the sides when it tips over.I've lost a total of about 4 of the red replacements that I had bought. Every now & then I'm lucky to be able to find them in dirt when I look, but now I just don't even bother. It is what it is, as they say.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Hwa224

ORIGINAL: Scratch2k

OK, I understand, and I think I know where I've been having trouble, i'm finding it difficult to find wheels which accept the 5x11x4m bearings because most of the 2WD vehicles I've seen still use a hex shaped hub on the front (which spins feely around bearings connected to the steering knuckle).
Are you sure about that?

It seems like Traxxas electic vehicles are FWD, which is why they have the drive wheels/12mm hexs on the front.

Anyway, I've mentioned the tires and wheels I've tried about 1000 times in the past ten posts. But I'll mention them again: The wheels are from the Traxxas Jato.

When you google that up, you'll find a host of other tires and related models. The wheels on the Traxxas Jato (which is a nitro truggy, I think) are 2.8inch Overall Diameter. But there are buttloads of 2.2inch wheels that would fit the LB too with those HPI adapters. You just need to make sure that the drive wheels accept 12mm hex (most do) and that the non-drive wheels fit the bearings and that the tires are close to what you want as far as overall diameter goes. LB stock rims are 1.9 inch and tires are about 4.3 inch.

So far I've tried/own the Traxxas 2.8 twin spoke wheels and the Proline Desperado wheels.

If I may make a suggestion: Try the twin spoke wheels with Proline 2.8inch Dirt Hawgs (for Traxxas wheels). You'll need to buy them seperately and them glue them yourself.

The Dirt Hawgs will be smaller and thinner than the stock. But not by too much, and they are supposed to be long-lasting tires with a lot of grip.

I've used the Traxxas Victory tires, which are good but are not bound to last with their tiny thin little treads. The Victories are slightly smaller than the Dirt Hawgs for 2.8 rims.

If you do go for the 2.8 rims, make sure your dampers are good. With **** dampers on, your LB will drive in a chaos with the smaller tires. With good dampers on, you'll find that LB is fun to drive and the steering is slightly more responsive. Plus, I think the 2.8 rims, especially the twin spoke are damn handsome.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:25 AM
Scratch2k

Thanks Hwa224 for that explanation again, consider me double educated.

I'm going to go for two combinations, both your suggestions.

These:
Front: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=L5KMJ302&P=7
Rear:http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=L5KMJ102&P=7

and tires to fit:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=L5DU1402&P=ML

and then some ready glued Desperados:
Front: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBMHG&P=7
Rear: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBMHJ&P=7

In addition to the adapters:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=L5N05702&P=6
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=L5N05502&P=V
and Tower suggests these, not sure why:http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=L5N06002&P=V

How's that look? That will give me some options to switch between wheels to fit out my sons Lunchbox with some alternative wheels too.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:13 AM
Timmy2Tracks

I run the aluminum body posts, and they are great., but like Hwa said, they will put the weak point onto the chassis. Tamiya makes you buy the whole parts tree, and it isn't that cheap. The best bet to avoid the broken posts or chassis is to simply run a basher lexan shell. The lexan shell absorbs a lot of shock when you flip. I think I got mine for $10 or so.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Hwa224

Scratch2K - you got it. EXCEPT for the 3rd link. The seperate Dirt Hawg tires are for 2.2 inch wheels not the 2.8. Get the 2.8 Dirt Hawgs for the Traxxas style beads, which Proline makes now.
When the Traxxas Victory tires wear down, I'm going to bake them off and buy the Dirt Hawgs III.
I found out why I was slipping and spinning out so much. I suggested in another post that it was probably due to the nonsticky ceramic grease. But it was completely due to the LB stock tires. They're crap.
One word of caution, Scratch2K: The Dirt Hawgs are about 4.0 Inches OD, whereas the LB stock are 4.3. If you mind that your LB will look less like a Monster truck van, then do not buy the Dirt Hawgs. Otherwise, if you think slim is IN, then you're going to be quite pleased. Ultimately, I like my LB with the twin spoke wheels and smaller 3.8 Victory tires. And again if you don't have good dampers don't even think about moving away from the large squishy stock!

POSTEDIT: Seems those HPI washers would be a good idea. Truth is, even with the adapter collars the front wheels have a bit of a wiggle to them. Very small. I ran mine without. But have sometimes placed tiny washerrs by the lugnuts to tighten everything up. Not sure if those HPI washers will fit, but you'll want to use something like that to remove the slop.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Scratch2k

ORIGINAL: Hwa224

Scratch2K - you got it. EXCEPT for the 3rd link. The seperate Dirt Hawg tires are for 2.2 inch wheels not the 2.8. Get the 2.8 Dirt Hawgs for the Traxxas style beads, which Proline makes now.
Good pick up, thanks for noticing that. Tower doesn't have Dirt Hawgs in 2.8 (not premounted) so I have decided to go with Street Fighters, so then I'll have a set of Desparados for off road and the Street Fighers for on-road. The Street Fighers will probably look even less monster trucky but I don't mind the Lunchbox having a distinctive and different look.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Hwa224

The Street Fighters look like great on-road tires. and Ido believe they'll look marrrrvelous on the LB.

I've never seen the LB with on-road tires before. Should be interesting.

Meanwhile, I'm considering selling my Proline Trencher tires on Desperado wheels, as they look good but they're too big and kill the handling too much to be genuinely fun.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Hwa224

To add a few corrections:

ORIGINAL: Scratch2k

OK, I understand, and I think I know where I've been having trouble, i'm finding it difficult to find wheels which accept the 5x11x4m bearings because most of the 2WD vehicles I've seen still use a hex shaped hub on the front (which spins feely around bearings connected to the steering knuckle).
You were right!

I haven't tried it on the LB but others have been successful in adapting some sort of Traxxas steering knuckle that is a carrier for 5x11 bearings and that has axles in them with the holes which hook into 12mm hex which themselves rotate.

I'm talking about these assemblage of parts:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSGZ7&P=M
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJK54&P=M
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNMR8
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHFS7&P=M

The advantage of the above setup is that 1) you'd be able to use any drive wheel and wouldn't have to worry about any distinctions here or there, and 2) you'd be able to rotate tires, if say the fronts are better than the rears or something and you need more traction in the rears.

Again, I haven't tried out the above setup but it may work for the LB. Seems to be complicated but it may be worth the effort to try out.

Another correction I'd make is that there is a distinction between the Proline Dirt Hawg tires. The one I'm interested in is the Dirt Hawg 2s, not the Dirt Hawg 3s. These different Dirt Hawgs have different tread patterns as well as tire widths.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:36 AM
lunchie

anyone fitted king blackfoot wheels?
those chrome ones look goooooooood.
put some dirt hawgs on maybe?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:13 PM
lbshelfqueen

i really really need those alloy uprights.. any idea where i can get some?
Old 03-10-2012, 10:55 PM
lunchie

well i'll get mine built if i ever get my stuff from tower...

its been nearly 3 weeks now and still no package! AAARRRGGGHHH
Old 03-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Timmy2Tracks

ORIGINAL: lbshelfqueen

i really really need those alloy uprights.. any idea where i can get some?
Here ya go, my man. They make nice stuff, and ship qucikly.

http://www.junfac.com/shop/index.php...0b73b415f1513b

Old 03-11-2012, 07:51 AM
lbshelfqueen

i love you. thanks mate
Old 03-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Timmy2Tracks

ORIGINAL: lbshelfqueen

i love you. thanks mate
I love you too, you know, in a fellow RC'er way. Not, ya know....

(Their rear shock mount is worth grabbing while you are ordering. Worth every penny.)
http://www.junfac.com/shop/index.php...roducts_id=419

Old 03-13-2012, 05:44 PM
LBXnut

Bought a GoPro the other day and mounted it inside my Lunchbox. Here is a short video I made with it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESOsUeqHUBU[/youtube]
Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 PM
lunchie

finally got my parts from tower today. built up most of the kit.
just have to make up the wheelie bar brace and mount the 3rd shock.
then ill give it a test run...
the body is a work of art for me who hasnt held a paintbrush in anger in 20 years.
i went with a yellow ovr white paint shceme.
i think the rears are too stiff though. may put in some old losi springs and see how they go.

my 5 year old wont beleive his eyes on his birthday! cant wait to april 1st so i can drive it. (i mean give him some instructions on how to drive it) hehe.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 PM
lunchie

whoa double post..
Old 03-14-2012, 10:39 AM
StevenJV

Hello folks,

22 years ago I had a Kyosho Turbo Optima, that I even raced locally growing up. I guess those vintage cars are out of my price range now according to what I see on ebay...oh well.

But a lunchbox aint and they are fun without even driving 'em. Always wanted one and so now I'm going to get one, build it and let my 2 young kids break it for me to fix and upgrade.

Can you take a look at my buy list and comment please.
Radio & receiver seem like a deal with what I could quickly review and find. Any problems with it mating to the stock lunchbox ESC?

Do you have a battery/charger option for me at hobby partz. That way I can purchase and save on shipping from them.

I'm a little bit in tech shock with how things have changed and trying to catch up, uffda, but a fun lunchbox is a good way to introduce my kids to the hobby.

<colgroup><col width="81" style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2872;width:61pt" /> <col width="64" style="width:48pt" /> <col width="497" style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:17664;width:373pt" /> </colgroup>
SUMMARY
TRUCK 109.98 tower
Battery pack 7.99 Tower Hobbies NiCd 6-Cell 7.2V 1500mAh Stick Standard
Battery Charger 26.99 Tower Hobbies AC/DC Peak Charger NiCd/NiMH
BEARINGS 9.95 VXB
RADIO 39.95 Hobby Partz FlySky FS-GT3B Digital 3ch 2.4ghz TX & RX LCD Transmitter & Receiver
-15 tower discount

Steven in MN
Old 03-14-2012, 11:44 AM
magic2002

ORIGINAL: LBXnut

Bought a GoPro the other day and mounted it inside my Lunchbox. Here is a short video I made with it.

haha cool, I have a gopro too, gonna have to mount it inside too sometime...

here is a video I did with my gopro on a stick..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOLprEnAiIM[/youtube]

Old 03-14-2012, 02:49 PM
lunchie

I got the onyx 3000mah nimh pack. Probably better than the nicad batteries. Lunchboxes need a bit of weight in them so the nimh is a better choice.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Scratch2k

ORIGINAL: StevenJV

<colgroup><col width="81" style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2872;width:61pt" /> <col width="64" style="width:48pt" /> <col width="497" style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:17664;width:373pt" /> </colgroup>
SUMMARY
TRUCK 109.98 tower
Battery pack 7.99 Tower Hobbies NiCd 6-Cell 7.2V 1500mAh Stick Standard
Battery Charger 26.99 Tower Hobbies AC/DC Peak Charger NiCd/NiMH
BEARINGS 9.95 VXB
RADIO 39.95 Hobby Partz FlySky FS-GT3B Digital 3ch 2.4ghz TX & RX LCD Transmitter & Receiver
-15 tower discount
Don't forget a servo, you need one for steering. I use this one in my lunchbox and it's never had a problem:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVW07&P=ML

I'd also get at least 3000mah nimh as suggested by lunchie, that will give you 40-45 minutes of run time and a little extra weight down low which is important for the LunchBox.

I'd also spent a little more on a charger now, get one which is capable of charging LiPo's so when you decide to go brushless you wont have to upgrade your charger

Battery:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXUP0&P=ML

Cheapest LiPo capable charger I can find with a quick search is:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAGUG&P=ML

So maybe a little out of budget, but remember if you go for LiPo's later on you will need to a new charger and the one you listed above will be useless.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Hwa224

StevenJV,

I definitely agree with others here. Do not buy the charger and the battery you have in your cart. The mah of the battery you chose is way too low, if I may say so. 1500mah is going to give you brief run times.

Go for higher capacity. And better yet go for a charger that can charge lipo batteries, which doens't mean you have to buy lipo batteries just yet, as most lipo chargers also charge Nimh/Nicd batteries.

Recently, I purchased a Lipo charger and two Gens Ace 40c 5000mah lipo batteries. Which means my 2 3800mah Tenergy Nimh batteries and Tenergy smart charger are going to be useless to me. Which means, the money I spent on these (a little over 70 dollars combined) could have been used to purchase the lipo charger and lipo batteries. I'm basically buying things twice. (And lately I've been selling stuff to recoup some of the money back to pay for the upgrades.)

This hobby is so engaging you'll want to upgrade eventually and when you do, you will have the charger ready for you.

The FlySky is a solid choice. You'll be able to buy extra receivers for $7.50 shipped. Can't beat that!
Old 03-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Hwa224

LBXnut,

You should post your video on Youtube. It reminds me of this video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h51lqGxmBhk[/youtube]

Talk about a chipping paint job, right? But I love the sound his LB makes when accellerating.

-

lunchie,

Nice to read you finally got your parts in. I hope you and your children enjoy the LB!

The suspension should definitely be softer than what you seem to have. Dampers don't dampen a thing if the suspension and the springs are so stiff!

Old 03-15-2012, 04:27 AM
StevenJV

Thank you for reviewing my post fellas with such detail.

Thanks for the servo reminder and the comments about the battery/charger. Good to know the controller is a solid choice too.

My updated list after review:

<colgroup><col width="100" style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3555;width:75pt" /> <col width="64" style="width:48pt" /> <col width="782" style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:27818;width:587pt" /> </colgroup>
SUMMARY
TRUCK 109.98 Tower
Steering servo 11.99 Tower Futaba S3004 Standard Ball Bearing Servo
Battery pack 19.99 Tower DuraTrax Onyx NiMH 6C 7.2V 3000mAh Stick Standard Plug
(15.00) Tower discount over $125
Battery Charger 49.70 Hobby Partz Thunder T610 NiCd/MH(1~18 cells) & LiIo/LiPo/LiFe: 1~6 series Balance Charger/Discharger w/ LCD Display+Auto-Fan
BEARINGS 9.95 VXB

Old 03-15-2012, 08:04 AM
Hwa224

I believe with the T610 charger, you'll need to buy a power supply seperate.

I myself recently purchased the Thunder AC6.

The AC6 comes with the power cord. The difference between them is that the AC6 charges at 5 amps max doesn't come with built-in fan and so it's cheaper. (The Thunder T610 charges at 10 amps max which makes it relatively future proof if your batteries ever get bigger.) I haven't received the AC6 yet, but I believethe AC6 comes with an array of connectors which includes the Tamiya/molex connector, whereas the T610 comes with bullet plugs, and so you'll have to either solder the molex yourself or buy the Tamiya connector with 4mm banana plugs seperate or get that style of bullet plug and solder it onto your battery.

Tamiya connector:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thunder-tamiyaconnector.html

The AC6:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

If I'm honest, I'd rather have purchased the T610. But I will be charging my batteries at 1c, and for a 5000mah LIpos that = 5 amps. So I'll be good for now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.