Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Great Planes 25% Pitts M-12s 3D

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Great Planes 25% Pitts M-12s 3D

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Wilki01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes 25% Pitts M-12s 3D

DLE 55
Old 03-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Saito_56
My Feedback: (17)

OK, here is another question. I got the cowl lined up, the cowl attached, without the muffler, just to get the mounting points set. I noticed that the engine appears to extend out the front of the cowl a lot. I know on the round cowl planes, it is suppose to be out a little more. But this looks way to far out. I have 3" standoffs, what size did you use, and how far out is your DLE past the cowl? I have a 2 1/2 " set of standoffs, so switching them out would be no big deal.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95657.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1572689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64890.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1572690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31627.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1572691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91813.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1572692  
Old 03-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Wilki01

I just measured mine, same as your 1 1/16th from the cowl.

Name:	mk27173.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	1572778   Click image for larger version

Name:	kf13231.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	1572779   Click image for larger version

Name:	bg93195.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	1572780  
Old 03-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Saito_56

OK, I was too use to planes where the prop just cleared the cowl, I have heard that the Pitts, and YAK's etc. need more room between prop and cowl for better air flow. Just wasn't too sure if it was enough, or too much. Thought I would check before I start cutting on the cowl.
Did you use the Baffle on the front of the cowl?
Old 03-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Wilki01

Yes I did, mine ended up just a little off center but nobody will notice..lol

Name:	nl30642.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	1572782  
Old 03-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Saito_56

Yeah, if they are looking that close they could loose a nose! I just noticed your in Canada, are you getting any flying in, or is it too cold and too much snow still?
If you ever get down to Florida near Daytona let me know, I can get you in to our field! Thanks for the pictures and help.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Wilki01

No problem on the help, if I can answer any questions feel free to ask. I also don't mind posting pictures either. As for cold and snow, it has been a long and very cold winter here. I finished my Pitts in the fall just in time for the winter and I cannot wait till spring. Thanks for the offer, I may have to take you up on that one day..
Old 04-05-2011, 09:52 PM
stanordave

They work!

Trying to shorten the field assembly time, I made some pegs out of CF and heat shrink to hold the cabanes on. Tried it today and they worked great! Put the Pitts through a pretty good regimen of KE snaps and KE loops, tumbles, lots of KE, and purt near every standard maneuver. After landing the pegs hadn't budged. (I use a similar setup to hold on the hatches of my 50cc planes and never had a problem). Assembly time is around 5 minutes now..

Just get some CF (not sure of the size but probably around 2mm) and shrink some heat shrink to give the fuel line something to hold onto.. I CA'd the ends w/washers that go on the cabane side. Insert and push enough to make the fuel tube compress a little bit. Initially I used to layers of shrink tube but the holes in the metal part are smaller than the ones in the cabanes so went with a single layer. THe ones in the picture have been shortened to about 1/2 the length you see)

Name:	Sq46438.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1589968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46386.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1589969  
Old 04-09-2011, 10:26 AM
edp
My Feedback: (5)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you guys think my Moki 2.1 with a Mejzlik 20x10 will fly this bird. I fly pattern so hovering and 3D are not a major concern. I have a good engine that needs a home. I got tired of flying the GP Extra 300s (1/4 scale) and sold the airframe.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:20 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Questions for those that have this aircraft and are flying it regularly: How is the airframe holding up & how are the stock landing gear holding together?

I have had a number of requests for replacement aluminum gear sets and this seems to indicate that the stock gear is problematical. The attachment area for the gear also appears to be too weak for regular flying. Easy fixes for both but aggravating to need to do. I am about to make a few more sets of gear so PM me if interested.

To see what they look like visit my site here: http://bliksemseplek.com/images/m12/lg3_lg.jpg

Bliksem
Old 04-27-2011, 02:36 PM
stanordave

I've had zero problems w/the airframe. The stock LG looks fine. I did replace the landing gear plate and made it a bit sturdier.

Also re: previous post. The CF pegs on the cabanes worked loose at the front so had to use nut/bolt on the top/front of each. Still using the pegs on the other 6 holes.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:51 PM
MaxxGS
My Feedback: (3)

There are five of us in a local club that have this plane and one of the five flew his plane this past weekend, (Not me) This pilot could not have landed this plane any better. His landings were text book style landings. Unfortunately his gear is showing problems and is delaminating. The remainder of us who are still in the building stages are not willing to take any chances with the gear that has been provided.

Great Planes told me there is an improved gear that will be offered to people who are having problems. I was also told the next batch of planes will also include this improved landing gear and will have some differences in the fuselage were the landing gear mounts. Again I was told these are improvements and no other details were given, they would not elaborate. I was pleased to hear Great Planes is working to provide a different landing gear and is working to improve the product.

By the way the pilot who flew his plane this past weekend is close friend and has many years of flying and he is enjoying the plane very much.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:35 AM
Flyinhi1

I'll add my latest experience with mine here. Last weekend I, too, ripped one of the gear out on landing which caused a flip at the end.
I believe that the soft foam wheels GP provides with the kit were a big factor as they don't seem able to handle any side-loading. It looks like the tire shifted on the hub and caught the edge of the wheel pant, locking it up. Consequently, the gear was easlily ripped free from the rediculously inferior LG plate. After the gear folded back the back of the wheel pant proceeded to penetrate he bottom wing covering and a "bubble" out the top of the bottom wing covering also. There is a couple days work now to be done rebuilding the entire bottom aft cowl area (woodwork/sheeting/shaping, covering, etc), replacing the wheels with Dubro (should have done this in the first place), rudder tip repair (from flipping over), replacing broken prop, wing covering repair and engine clean-up. But my LG doesn't look like it's delaminating, at least. Yeah, I'm kinda p.o.'d about the whole thing.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:14 AM
stanordave

To repair my gear, I ordered the blue covering then removed the balsa from the bottom of the nose and used a hacksaw to cut the LG plate out. Replaced it w/some hardwood and added bracing wherever I could. I put the gear back on then put new balsa on, not bothering to cut holes for removal (although I did note where to cut holes if I ever need to remove the gear). After recovering, it's solid. I even pranged it hard when landing nose down and - no problem. If it delaminates - will be jumping on that GP gear replacement offer!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:31 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: edp

Do you guys think my Moki 2.1 with a Mejzlik 20x10 will fly this bird. I fly pattern so hovering and 3D are not a major concern. I have a good engine that needs a home. I got tired of flying the GP Extra 300s (1/4 scale) and sold the airframe.
It depends on how you thought the Extra was with the Moki. Not sure of the weight difference between the two airframes, but there will be a big difference in drag. Big round cowl, another wing, cabanes, and interplane struts. That's why bipes always seem to need a little extra in the power department.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:30 PM
edp
My Feedback: (5)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

mrbigg

That was my thinking also. I'll find a new home for it somewhere.
Thanks,

Old 06-05-2011, 09:04 PM
kochj

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX6KgFpYpKk

This guy flew the heck out of this plane...
And then landed quite hard....seemed to hold up good...

I was suprised the plane didn't split....
He was WOT almost the entire flight!..
Old 06-17-2011, 07:50 PM
mstcitabria73
My Feedback: (1)

Just finished the build on a GP Ultimate Bipe/DLE 55 and would really like to have the Pitt's helmut head for my pilot. Tried to order thru GP but they are unavailable unless you buy the complete Pitt's ARF kit. If anyone in this thread knows where there is one available plese let me know, thanks.......

Old 06-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Guerra
My Feedback: (48)

I’m on my second fuselage due to the landing gear failure. I put balsaply doublers on both front and rear formers. I also glued balsaply cap strips over the upper outside landing gear plate area. And finally, I soaked the entire assembly with thin CA. Hopefully this will hold during a normal cross wind landing. See attached picture. Any word on the timing for the next generation having landing gear assembly modifications??

Name:	Sq48226.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1629821  
Old 06-30-2011, 10:35 PM
stanordave

I would have replace the LG plate itself w/some good quality ply but, if you didn't, maybe a metal plate between the gear and ply to stiffen/strengthen it?

Haven't had a single problem after I replaced the LG plate in mine w/marine ply and adding gussets. It is a poorly made area on the plane fer sure.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:16 AM
abood

ORIGINAL: Guerra

I’m on my second fuselage due to the landing gear failure. I put balsaply doublers on both front and rear formers. I also glued balsaply cap strips over the upper outside landing gear plate area. And finally, I soaked the entire assembly with thin CA. Hopefully this will hold during a normal cross wind landing. See attached picture. Any word on the timing for the next generation having landing gear assembly modifications??

regarding gears failure ,I use some carbon strands to hold the legs to gether and relieve the pressure on the plate .

I used this way on my .40 glow edge I flew it many times withe hard landings with on issues until i crashed it .

Old 08-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Guerra

How did you attach the CF strips to the gear??
Old 02-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Spridal

Any updates on the landing gear issue? I'm thinking about picking one of these up but wanted to know if the gear issue has been resolved.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:08 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

AFAIK there has been no changes. I have helped a number of others with metal landing gear and modifying their aircraft with proper plywood replacement to ensure survival of props, etc.

This is an awesome flying plane but has a glass jaw with stock landing gear and weak airframe in the landing gear area.

GP has done themselves a disservice IMHO in trying to squeeze the last few pennies of profit from this ARF. Then again often the production products from Chinese manufacturers are inferior to the test products supplied to their customers for testing. We, the end users, are caught in a vise between the promise and the reality. My guess that GP is certain of the quality based on the prototypes but the manufacturers are doing both the contractors and end users in by supplying a sub-standard product.

Would I buy another? Yes, if mine came to untimely end.

Bliksem
Old 03-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Guerra

This is what I did to my second replacement fuse:

1.Guerilla glue balsaply doublers to the front and rear formers. You’ll need to make four doublers parts, left/right for front and left/right for rear. The fronts will be a pain to reach but the Guerilla glue provides relaxed set time allowing you to center the doubles where needed. Glue the fronts one night and do the rears on the next night. See picture at post 244.

2.Guerilla glue “hobbyply” braces topside of landing gear plate. Glue these at both ends outside from the two blind nuts securing the landing gear. The landing gear plate fails in this area due to weak landing gear plate and design lacking metal L brackets. See picture at post 244.

3.Soak the entire landing gear assemble with thin CA. Soak the plate, formers, and anywhere else you can reach. Use an entire large bottle of CA and apply several coats. Let dry for a few days, and hope you survive the CA fumes.

This was a little effort that took a few minutes over several nights, and I have not had any problems over the countless landings, some good, some not so good. I think it was worth it since this plane flies very well.

BTW, my first fuse landing gear plate failed on the third crosswind landing. Hobby Services replaced it at cost after I complained

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.