Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Gasket Materal

Old 02-23-2012, 05:51 AM
Patrick F
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasket Materal

Since parts for older engines become harder and harder to find does anybody know either the thickness for GASKET material on lets say an OS .61 Hanno or YS .61 Long or short stroke or what type of material can be used to replace the original gasket.

Thanks Pat
Lasercut USA
Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Jim Oliver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gasket Materal

Lots of modern engines don't use gaskets for backplates and the like. YS did use paper gaskets for the regulator housing; thicker than typing/copy paper, more like manila folder paper.

On the rare times that I need to have a gasket for a back plate, or such, I make it from a sheet of typing or copy paper; could use a piece of "heavy duty" aluminum foil.

Jim
Old 02-24-2012, 04:20 PM
DougC1

ORIGINAL: Jim Oliver

Lots of modern engines don't use gaskets for backplates and the like. YS did use paper gaskets for the regulator housing; thicker than typing/copy paper, more like manila folder paper.

On the rare times that I need to have a gasket for a back plate, or such, I make it from a sheet of typing or copy paper; could use a piece of ''heavy duty'' aluminum foil.

Jim
Not an expert by any stretch, but as Jim says, I've used the "manila folder" thickness paper successfully for backplates quite often. The "Renew your Subscription" inserts stapled into many magazines are my gasket material. Also, I'll lightly coat my fingers in wheel bearing grease and put as little as possible on the gasket prior to installing (ie, wipe it all off). Makes me feel better about the gasket, but also makes removal later a little easier.

Doug
Old 02-24-2012, 11:59 PM
Roguedog

As far as the answer to the orginal question, I went and got out a 61SF-RF gasket kit and with my calipers measured the the back cover gasket at about 0.25mm. I next measured some used gaskets and it appears they squish down to 0.15mm.

I also use the vanilla envelopes, playing cards, cereal box cardboard.

What ever i use i always make sure to coat the gasket with some type of oil to make the engine easy to disassemble if needed.

Bryan

Old 02-25-2012, 04:18 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As of last year YS Parts still sold gaskets for the 61.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:25 AM
RAYTELI
My Feedback: (113)

Loctite makes a gasket eliminator 515 sealant, part #51517. Fills gaps to .010 inches. Cures in 1 to 8 hours. I've used in in place of paper gaskets that are no longer available. It's also a strong adheasive, so don't go overboard with the application. I had a back plate that was almost impossibe to remove because of the excess sealant that got between the backplate and crankcase.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:48 PM
epr3

I have used index card stock to make gaskets and have had good results