Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Side Pocket Article

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Side Pocket Article

The Wing Mfg Sport Canopy was used on quite a few models in the RCM plans catalog. Revenger, Side Pocket, Double Eagle (60 & 40 versions I think).

Jim
Old 03-03-2012, 05:11 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David: Good to know that canopy will work with your plans of the SP.

Jim: Equally good to know that the canopy is the same for the Revenger. That model is on my radar!

FB
Old 03-03-2012, 02:31 PM
abozzie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like I wasn't taking many pictures at the time I was flying the Side Pocket and Hammer and the ones I did have were pre-digital. The original SP finally met its demise in early 2000 and the second one was build over the next winter. The original had a build up canopy using bulkheads and stringers covered with chrome covering. Two wide red stripes were added to the bottom of each wing and a large red band on the aft fuselage to help with orientation. Pulling up hard and sending all the controls hard over would make the plane snap into some pretty wild flips and rolls.

I purchased the Wing canopy and cockpit for the second one but the metallic blue top over white bottom covering was used again.

The Hammer is shown on a set of "snow floats" in Jan 2000. Not much trouble picking this one out in the sky.

A couple of more pictures of SP #2 modifications to accept an extra landing gear mount ahead of the wing and custom wing fillets. Duct tape in picture is wrapped around tank to help pull it out. I also noticed that the entire plane was treated with balsarite and perforated with pin holes prior to covering. This was done with three pieces of 1/4 dowel taped together with a pin set in each one. It takes a bit of time but the end result is a good bond for the covering and no bubbles.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73098.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1734605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30850.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1734606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71553.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1734607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57700.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1734608   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43231.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1734609  
Old 03-04-2012, 07:26 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AB,

Smart looking SP you have there. Sorry that your first one met an untimely end, but glad to see that you built another one! Thanks for posting the pics!

FB
Old 03-04-2012, 09:01 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: abozzie
Pulling up hard and sending all the controls hard over would make the plane snap into some pretty wild flips and rolls.
I knew there was a good reason why I liked this airframe! I hope to make some further progress on the CAD this coming week. Have a couple of days off.

I purchased the Wing canopy and cockpit for the second one but the metallic blue top over white bottom covering was used again.
AB, that is a cool looking cockpit in the second picture. Worth keeping a partly cleared canopy with those innards! Was it offered by Wing Mfg. at the time?

The Hammer is shown on a set of ''snow floats'' in Jan 2000. Not much trouble picking this one out in the sky.
Nice - another design I happen to have spent some time working up (see pics). I like the idea of a pipe down the top deck on this one. Sarpolus was quite forward thinking at the time when he designed this one. Was yours the Hammer 40 or the original 25? Looks like a 40. I enlarged the original 25 ever so slightly below for a piped 25 or even 28 RE (I have one of these on its way...[8D]). A 40 size with an OS 40 VF would be just the companion to the SP. I think both planes have similar moments and aspect ratios.

Thanks for posting the pictures!

David

Mmm... no uploads at the moment... first time this ever happens... not!

Name:	Tr49436.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1734855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56360.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1734856  
Old 03-04-2012, 01:48 PM
abozzie

ORIGINAL: doxilia
AB, that is a cool looking cockpit in the second picture. Worth keeping a partly cleared canopy with those innards! Was it offered by Wing Mfg. at the time?
The innards were also from Wing Mfg. A rather simple polystyrene cockpit and a heavy paper instrument panel if I recall.

ORIGINAL: doxilia
Nice - another design I happen to have spent some time working up (see pics). I like the idea of a pipe down the top deck on this one. Sarpolus was quite forward thinking at the time when he designed this one. Was yours the Hammer 40 or the original 25? Looks like a 40. I enlarged the original 25 ever so slightly below for a piped 25 or even 28 RE (I have one of these on its way...[8D]). A 40 size with an OS 40 VF would be just the companion to the SP. I think both planes have similar moments and aspect ratios.
I looked again and the plans came in 20 & 40 size. This was a Hammer 20 from Flying Models (Plan CF637 published 7/83). Myself and a fellow flyer built two at the time and flew some tight formations with them...when I think back, other flyers tended to land when we started beating up the field in close formation. I went from an Enya .25 to a Enya .29V at some point, but don't recall what happened to the plane. My friend put a .35 in his to keep up and that resulted in a high speed elevator flutter, loss of elevator and a lawn dart into the ground. The balsa used along the hinge line was just too soft as well for the extra speed.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:53 PM
mercura

Just come across this in a copy of MA. Only photo I have seen of this design.

Name:	Yu63527.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	1820696  
Old 11-15-2012, 06:43 PM
doxilia

That is cool! Thanks for posting. Finally we can confirm that the Hip Pocket was a reality. Even mentions John's excellent plans,... If we could only source those plans...

David
Old 11-15-2012, 08:44 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Hey mercura, like David said "thanks for posting!"

It looks like it was setup for an RE Engine like I thought.

It’s time for its own thread! We now have more contact info on this plane.

Thanks Bud!

By the way do you have the whole article? oratleast just theauthor of the piece?

Old 11-15-2012, 09:30 PM
doxilia

The wing and stab look to have the same planform as the Side Pocket. Even the aspect ratio of the model looks similar - large span, shorter fuse. RE setup indeed.

We'll have to carry this over to your new thread Paul.

David
Old 11-16-2012, 05:38 AM
mercura

The article was by Ron Van Putte, he was reporting on the 1985 Nats for MA (Dec 1985)

Dave