Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

hope 50 mph rc sled

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 08:19 PM
TechyJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hope 50 mph rc sled

hurricane-fibers

I think you win the best sled maker award!

Nice video - wish mine could plow through thick snow like that!

Which of your sleds do you think has the best drive train (speed and torque) - Gear or Pulley?

I am still kicking the idea of changing my Rev XP to use pulleys - by the way, thanks for the pulley and belt info. There is not much room in my Rev XP and I thought the pulley would be more condensed. The one big problem I am facing with my design is how to gear it down enough since the space is small. I'm thinking 3 pulleys in a V configuration?
Old 02-17-2010, 02:59 AM
hurricane-fibers

TechyJoe

Thanks
I am playing with the idea of trying a nitro one again LOL

now as for the sleds
I would have to say they are both the same I have tested belt and gear with the same set-up and both have taken it like a champ
I had the gps in it and at 3/4 power I got them up to 46MPH then it just starts to get all squirly haven't had the right snow conditions to let it all out LOL
in the Rev XP I would go with a gear drive set-up you can get smaller gears or you could always use a belt drive from an HPI on road car that is one of the first ones I used.
they are smaller and would probly fit better in the Rev.

I was looking for one of the rc polaris rush really want to build one of them up LOL.
If there is anything else you would like to know or need help with just ask.

Hurricane
Old 02-18-2010, 01:18 PM
drz400thumper07

Hey hurricane,

First of all Ive been following your posts for a long time now, and have been really impressed with the work you do and the performance of your sleds. Ive been working on a polaris rush since december, id be really interested seeing what you could do to one of them. So far im running a reedy radon 17t 540 size motor to a belt drive similar to your new bright setup (thats where i got the idea). i tried it with a mamba 25 esc and himax brushless motor and it didnt seem to have the power i was looking for. Id like to see it go even half as fast as one of your set-ups.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:29 AM
fathead45

wow that thing is cool.

i have 2 of the polaris rush rides. they have them at radioshack in town for 40 bucks each. i have 2 of them right now. im putting a brushless in one of them. if your wanting one for that price hit me up and we can talk about it b/c i would love to get some hop up parts that you make like the suspension. my email is matt @ Schoolhouseelectronics.com
Old 12-15-2010, 01:14 AM
hurricane-fibers

Bump
Old 12-15-2010, 06:56 AM
urjustamemory

wow, I wish I could make those parts lol. I am really loving the front suspension on the yellow one.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:38 AM
hurricane-fibers

OK I will be posting here again when the new sled is done so keep watching for it
I am also going to put a hero cam on it so you get to see just how fast and how much it likes to wheelie.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:28 AM
tman52748
My Feedback: (1)

Sweet, can't wait to see the new setup.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:02 PM
hurricane-fibers

Ok a lot of people are asking about measurements so in-case I did miss some here is a few for you.

The belt i use is 3/8 wide by .200 pitch main pulley is 40 teeth and pinion pulley is 10 teeth i believe the belts i got were 50, 55, 60, teeth.
the big pulley has a 1/4 bore and the pinion pulley had a 3/16 bore drilled to 5 mil for the motor.
The belt idler pulley i made to use for a 3/8 belt I used 1/4 x 3/8 bearings for it so the inside of the pulley is 9/16 round and the lip on the edge to keep the belt in line is 3/4 an it is 5/8 wide total.
the steering blocks are 1-1/8 high 3/4 wide and 3/8 thick with a 1/4 inch hole drilled as close to the one edge as possible for the arm that holds the ski.
the suspension arms are 5-5/8 center to center of the rod-ends, the steering arms are a bit longer they are 6-1/4 center to center of the rod-ens they need to be like this so
all the geometry works right and keep the ski's straight through the suspension travel.
The steering horns you need to make sure that where the arms connect to the horn from the center of the shaft that holds the ski is only 3/4 of an inch or the arms will hit the tunnel when the
suspension is fully compressed.
the long trailing arms that hold the ski's and bolt to the sides of the sled are 1-5/8 long that is from the center of the rod-end with a 15% bend one inch from the end.

If there is anything else let me know

Thanks
Hurricane
Old 01-23-2012, 04:58 PM
sokey70

Quick question Hurricane, how did the pinion work on the motor shaft if it was drilled out to 5mm? Aren't most motor shafts 3mm?
Old 01-23-2012, 06:50 PM
hurricane-fibers

No I use motors with 5 mil shafts the other
Ones always break they can't take the torque or
Handle the power needed lol
Old 02-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Brushlessed
My Feedback: (2)

I was really surprised reading this and watching the video that the plasitic didn't rip right out. You mounted everything to the plastic without any metal backplate, I ripped many things apart doing that.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:57 AM
hurricane-fibers

alexjschauer :

I have really put some of my sled's through some ruff stuff and I find as long as everything it true and straight I haven't had a problem yet LOL
the mount for the rear suspension I have made lager just in case.
I got some new additions for my shop I will be posting a picture tonight when I am done I have made a new custom piece that I will bet everyone will want if they have
one of these new bright sled's

Hurricane
Old 02-25-2012, 02:39 PM
sokey70

Where's the pic - I wanna see the new part?! My parts came today for my MXZ from Hurricane - all look like excellent craftsmanship!
Old 02-26-2012, 06:25 PM
hurricane-fibers

Ok well I have had a lot of people asking me about the rev xp so here is what I have gone an done today.

now these are just the test drive's for both the rev-xp and the mxz i'm going to put some relief notches in them yet and end plates to help guide the track
and help if any snow get's in there.
I am also waiting to get a new 1/4 ball nose end mill so I can make the slots deeper these were done with a 3/16 end mill but as I say its just a test.
the new tool I got is a indexing rotary table this is what i needed for making the slots perfectly spaced around the pulley.
So I guess let's see what I can do with this smaller sled I got some really good idea's for it but you will just have to wait an see as it gets built.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:29 PM
sokey70

Hooray! This is awesome! Those drive wheels will be so nice and modding the smaller sled will too because it's more available! Most excellent! Will you be starting a new thread for the rev xp?
Old 02-26-2012, 06:34 PM
hurricane-fibers

Ya I probly should LOL
Old 02-26-2012, 06:36 PM
hurricane-fibers

Ya I probly should LOL

an hey sokey70 let's see some pic's of your build and how is it going ??
Old 02-26-2012, 07:36 PM
sokey70

Unfortunately not much. Mostly getting bits and everything organized to do it. My wife works Saturdays and we have a 4 month old so time is limited. Hopefully within the coming week is can make some progress. I will post pics for sure!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:50 AM
sokey70

Here is a little update - got the front suspension and servo mount in - all went quite smooth!
Old 03-03-2012, 05:43 PM
subcaptian

Looking nice sokey! I home my front susp. can look that seamless when I get to it. I'm just making a few more tweaks to the rear before I move on.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:06 PM
sokey70

Thanks but all credit goes to Hurricane - i bought the fabbed parts from him and they are excellent! Well, I guess I can take a little credit installing them lol. Here is the latest - motor mount installed! It is coming along nicely.

Hurricane - any news on the Rev XP? I am excited to see what you do with the rear suspension and tranny!
Old 03-04-2012, 12:39 PM
subcaptian

*double post* sorry guys.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:50 PM
sokey70

Small update

I put a Tacon 2230kv motor in my sled for testing and it ran great! I only have grass to drive it on but couldn't wait, it was on 2s and was quite quick too. Look for pics and some vids when the snow flies!

I also thought I had someone to cut/machine some aluminum for the smaller Rev XP - if anyone can do it, let me know!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:13 PM
darkchylde415
My Feedback: (1)

Ok has anyone heard from bill I am trying to get my sled ready I gave up on all other Rc I can afford the travel for racing so just gonna play with the sled, I enjoy doing the building. Have been following his threads to a couple yrs now and even ordered some parts last yr then made the mistake of never getting them. I have tried pming and emailing with no luck. I know I could follow his build and do the track right but I have no way of duplicating his hubs for the gears or the steering knuckles. If anyone could be any help or give me any other ideas on how to mount the gears and what not. I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks shane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.