Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 03:41 PM
barnowljenx

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread

This thread is getting more and more interesting as more Vanquish owners start to put their experiences in.  I'm learning quite a lot about setup just reading what you guys are doing.  Interestingly, Arch's point about increaing down elevator throw is what I tried and it does make a difference to me.  I had not thought about reducing expo so will try that next on down ele and see what it does for me.

I find that the Vanquish snaps quite slowly and so it is quite easy to stop it after exactly one turn.  I always find that it then is off heading and I am assuming that is correct as I've read that you always lose direction after a proper stalled snap rather than a glorified aileron roll.  Am I right in thinking this?
Old 03-02-2012, 08:25 PM
mxcop114
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: danamania

This was my first model without fixed incidence wings. When I maidened on my own, I thought it required a bit of up trim. I did move the battery packs back an inch or so from the recommended starting CG balance point in the manual and this helped with pitch trim. After a few more flights, I was fortunate enough to have two FAI level pattern pilots put four trim flights on. They did not find the amount of up trim remarkable and we did not reset wing incidence (from 0.4 deg). My question is how much up trim did you need to dial out the dive? It might help others to know in deg. or mm at the elevator? Just a thought.
I have hardly no up trim on mine. I have my incidence at .6, this allows me to run a slightly forward CG which I think makes the plane break better in snaps and spin entry. I'm using Thunder Power G6 Prolite 5000s and have the batteries as forward as I can get them, the front outside corners are actually touching the wood on the sides of the tray. Just for reference I have a 1% down elevator downline mix, the only other mixing I'm using at this point is rudder/aileron +1% on left rudder. I have a very slight push while inverted. I'm so happy with this plane, for a wood ARF that is very affordable I don't think it can get much better. I have seen where a couple people have said the plane lacks some rudder authority but I haven't seen anyone try adding anything to the plane, maybe a cantalizer ( I call it a Trojan Helmet ) like Dave Lockhart and some other guys use on their planes would help a little? I also see where guys have added depron on the wings of their planes to act as SFG's, I'm sure with some additions the plane would meet the needs that some people say it lacks. My guess is if guys are running these things on their planes that would mean their plane may be lacking some rudder authority too? Anyway, I fly at the Ocean County Modelers field all the time, come on out some time and I'll let you fly mine and show you my setup.

Lee
Old 03-02-2012, 08:33 PM
mxcop114

ORIGINAL: barnowljenx

This thread is getting more and more interesting as more Vanquish owners start to put their experiences in. I'm learning quite a lot about setup just reading what you guys are doing. Interestingly, Arch's point about increaing down elevator throw is what I tried and it does make a difference to me. I had not thought about reducing expo so will try that next on down ele and see what it does for me.

I find that the Vanquish snaps quite slowly and so it is quite easy to stop it after exactly one turn. I always find that it then is off heading and I am assuming that is correct as I've read that you always lose direction after a proper stalled snap rather than a glorified aileron roll. Am I right in thinking this?
What aileron travel are you using for your snaps? I have mine set for either 25 degrees, elevator is 9 up 11 down, rudder is 20, this is for snaps only and the plane snaps very fast and doesn't lose lose heading much at all. The most important thing I have found to get this plane to snap well is a slighty forward CG and I have the incidence at .6 which helps in not making it feel so nose heavy, I'll have to put the plane on the balacer and see where I'm at.

Lee
Old 03-03-2012, 05:27 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I rechecked my incidences again with a new incidence meter, I borrowed one (Keith) then decided I needed one hangar 9 angle pro, it read .5 on wings and 0 on stab so dont think it was a bad incidence meter, going to try and fly it again today, and just play with the CG and see what happens
Old 03-03-2012, 07:15 AM
mxcop114

ORIGINAL: jetmech43

I rechecked my incidences again with a new incidence meter, I borrowed one (Keith) then decided I needed one hangar 9 angle pro, it read .5 on wings and 0 on stab so dont think it was a bad incidence meter, going to try and fly it again today, and just play with the CG and see what happens
The Torque motor is 575g and the power 160 is 650g, my guess is your batteries may be slightly heavier too, just keep moving them back I'm sure you'll find the sweet spot, I only have a couple clicks of up trim.

Lee
Old 03-04-2012, 12:04 PM
jetmech43

Well moved the packs back it did help some but still wanting to dive, im think of adding 1 to 2 degrees neg in the stab, hope the will cure the problem
Old 03-04-2012, 02:51 PM
burtona
My Feedback: (50)

I'm thinking it won't help. There's no substitute for getting the CG where you need it IMO.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:18 PM
jetmech43

well I did the 45 degree upline an rolled innverted and it droped like Arch said
Old 03-04-2012, 03:52 PM
mxcop114

ORIGINAL: jetmech43

well I did the 45 degree upline an rolled innverted and it droped like Arch said
Don't change the incidence on the stabs, it will throw everything off on the plane. I use the same method Arch uses, here's more detail on how to do it. Fly level into the wind, pull 45 and make sure you establish a perfect 45 upline at full power roll inverted, the plane should travel a couple hundred feet then gradually start dropping towards the canopy. If the plane starts dropping towards the canopy right away you're to nose heavy. Once you get this set right you should be able to fly level inverted and have a slight push to maintain inverted flight, again if you have to push a lot you're nose heavy. From the sounds of your discription of your plane I think you are still to nose heavy, keep moving the battery back until you can do these tests and get results that I have discribed above. The Vanquish is one of the best flying pattern ships I've flown, I have flown both wood and composite high dollar planes and regardless what some people may say I feel when set up properly and in the right hands it can be very competitive against any plane out there. Keep us posted on your progress, I know when you get it right you're gonna be very happy.

Lee
Old 03-04-2012, 04:25 PM
jetmech43

ok will keep playing with the cg
Old 03-05-2012, 05:03 PM
jetmech43

I did notice the blue white and magenta color blends with the sky making it harder to see
Old 03-06-2012, 03:45 PM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

Since no one else has mentioned it, these are back in stock at Extreme Flight as of March 5th.

Jon
Old 03-06-2012, 03:50 PM
lee101

very nice plane to fly
Old 03-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Hokie Flyer

Jon,

Welcome to the Dark Side.

Rob
Old 03-06-2012, 03:51 PM
lee101

Old 03-07-2012, 03:19 AM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just looked at a video on the Lindinger website of the Vanquish flying on the new Hacker A60 XS V2 on 6 cells 45C 4500, Hacker 125 controller all up weight 4180 grams. The video was short but the Vanquish looked like it was flying nicely.

John
Old 03-10-2012, 04:17 PM
g_mkoch

Well

after getting bored of making holes in the sky and seeing how well my father's vanquish flies; I've decided to get into pattern and put together a vanquish for me. Again I'll use a Q60 with an ICE120HV, 9551 for ail, 9650 for elev, dual batt regulators and falcon prop. The only difference this time is that I'll use a Hitec 7954 for rudder since I have a couple left from the 50cc I sold. I just got the airframe and I did notice two changes from my father's vanquish; first the plane now comes with robart hinges instead of the CA hinges on all surfaces, second now the rudder goes all the way up and no longer has the fairing at the top of the horizontal stabilizer, this increases the rudder area by a couple inches.

Happy Landings
Old 03-11-2012, 11:45 AM
3rdworld

Has anyone tried fitting the Plettenberg Advance 30-10? I know the Hacker Q 60 will just bolt in. Just ordered a Vanquish and looking for a good motor and options available.

Mark
Old 03-11-2012, 03:24 PM
wattsup
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mark, have you considered the Hacker A60 6XS V2 mentioned above? It may also be a "bolt in" like the Hacker Q60. I've never heard of anyone running the Plettenberg Advance 30-10 but that does not mean someone has not tried. My thinking is most pattern flyers that spend $650 USD on an ARF like the Vanquish are not willing to spend approx $550 USD on a motor when you can get
similiar performance out of the Hacker A60 6XS V2 for less than $200 USD. My only fear is that it would be another power eating/amp hogging, battery eater like the Hacker 12S V2 they recommend for the Osiris! My flying partner has yet to find a 5s 5000 mah battery that will handle the load on his Osiris. Perhaps the Hacker 6XS V2 will do the same to a 6s 5000 mah battery. Without info related to amp draw etc, I'd be reluctant to run this combo. I'd love to have a Vanquish that has an AUW of 4180 grams but not if it's going to go thru batteries by the handful! The first CLUE should be the capacity of the ESC they recommend. In the case of the Osiris/Hacker 12s V2 it was a 100 ESC. I see with the Vanquish/Hacker A60 6XS V2 takes a 125 amp
ESC! I suspect these two Hacker motors may be better suited for 3D use rather than pattern. If your life's goal is to go out and bore holes in the sky than I guess it really doesn't matter! Just be aware and try to get as much technical info about ANY motor before you buy it! Does anyone know if Lindinger has published any additional info on their website about the Vanquish/Hacker combo featured in the above video? I've tried to get additonal info from Hacker USA but, they don't seem to be interested in doing business or don't want to be bothered. I've left phone messages and e mails but so far, no answer. BTW, I can't even get parts info related to my Hacker 13xl Comp motor from them. Who knows, they may not even be in business anymore! Just my thoughts, Everette
Old 03-11-2012, 04:34 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

I got a Plettenberg Advance 30-10 for this arf but i havent been able to find a way toi mount it without adding a lot of weight. I have given up the hope to run the advance 30-10 in my EF Vanquish and orded a Himax so i can finish my plane and start flying it. Ill prob sell the pletty and score more battery sets.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:17 AM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wattsup

The first time I was aware of the A60 XSV2 was when looking at the new Sebart Mythos 125, this is the reccomended motor with a 125 amp controller and 45C 6S battery. From the Hacker website this combo produces 2200 watts on a 21x10 APC prop at 100 amps. Then I saw this combo used in the Lindinger Vanquish. From the way it flew it certainly looked like 2200 watts was enough to fly it well at 4180 grams. I do not know what effect drawing 100 amps will have on a battery maybe you could advise. BTW I don't think I would buy this combo as I have both 8s and 10s setups which will fly both the Mythos and a 2M model.

John
Old 03-12-2012, 04:56 AM
wattsup
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi John, I suspect they are using at least a 100/125 amp Esc to compensate for the excessive amperage generated by this particular motor and prop combination. My belief is that this combo will have a negative effect on the batteries_ie, excessive internal heat build-up leading to puffing, accelerated high IR readings and shorter lipo life in general. If they are suggesting a 21x10 prop then that's really the clue to the performance witnessed on the video. Based on my flying partner's with his Osiris/Hacker combo, I think you would be lucky to get a 5 minute pattern flight based on how the Vanquish was flown in the video. I like the Vanquish and is hard to beat for the price. Yes, you are better off all around sticking with 8s or 10s. Hope this helps, Everette
Old 03-12-2012, 04:42 PM
barnowljenx

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

3rdworld, I did have a Pletti Advance available when Iacquired a used Vanquish. The previous owner had used an AXi 5325/24 (or something like that!) and Itried very hard to come up with a mounting scheme for the Pletti. However, it looked likea fair bit of surgery would be required and then, if I wanted to sell the Vanquish, I'd have to sell the Pletti with it. So, Igot an AXi 5330/F3a and that just bolted into place with no hassle and it has bags of power - rarely do Ineed full throttle. Around 3/4 is all that's needed for good vertical performance with the same speed as the model flys horizontally. On very windy days Ioccasionally use full poke but it is for very limited times.

Wattsup, you certainly have a point about fitting a Pletti to a Vanquish but, as Isaid, Ihad one available. It is now sitting on the shelf waiting for the next opportunity to upgrade at the end of this season - maybe! If the Vanquish is as good as it is proving Imay wait for a couple of seasons! Regarding excessive current draw, Idoubt it with the Pletti as you only need the power when you need the power! My view with the Vanquish fitted with the AXi 5330 is that the Pletti would require less throttle, and hence similar or lower current draw than the AXi. Ican fly a 6.5 min schedule and then fly a couple more manoeuvres and the 4900 Rhinos I'm using are usually at around 65-70% used and barely warm - OK it was only 5 deg C when Iflew it.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:35 PM
3rdworld

Thanks Guys for all the advise. I have decided to go with the stock Toque Silver bullet motor for now and if i am not happy with that setup, then I will try the Q 60 hacker or possibly the Fury 60/67 -230 F3A
ESC will be either the cc Phoenix 85 HV or Spinn 99 or Jeti equivalent. I am hoping to swing a 21x 14 prop. I will look out for any other recommendations and reports.

Mark
Old 03-13-2012, 05:02 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark,

The 21X14 works well on the Torque. It is a lower KV motor, so it prefers the larger props.

Arch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.