Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Eneloop NIMH Receiver Packs

Old 02-26-2012, 12:08 PM
lenough

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eneloop NIMH Receiver Packs

Has anyone used these as receiver packs? I am thinking of using them in a 30cc gasser running digital servos.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Goldenduff

Default RE: Eneloop NIMH Receiver Packs

I have been told (by the guy that runs ? Hangtime hobbies) that this is not a good choice for receiver packs as they are not stable enough. He said they are great for transmitters though.

I have heard folk say life are the best for your set up possibly with a regulator.

Look at hang time hobbies (or maybe it's runtime?!) and email the guy your application. He will the set up including leads etc etc.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:54 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on the maximum current demands. The Eneloops have a slightly higher internal impedance than other types of batteries. If the current peak demands are withing limits, they will work well for the receiver.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:15 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: lenough

Has anyone used these as receiver packs? I am thinking of using them in a 30cc gasser running digital servos.

Thanks for any advice.
As a rule - don't
Tho these are excellent cells for low current devices -the internal resistance does not like large instant power demands and this could stop a 2.4 rx dead in it's tracks. ANY 24 rx
On low current demand they are fine but always check power /voltage under load with ANY 2.4 equipped model (the little 6400 bind n fly rx are about the only exceptions)\
In your example -do NOT use em - go for low resistance sub c NIMH - or A123 or similar cells.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Fs one

In my large planes i am using NIMH in transmitter only.I still use NICD for receiver packs 4.8 volts.I do not use 6.0volt packs.I don't run high high torque sevos and i don't do 3d flying.I use 1500mah NIMH tx and 1400mah Nicd in rx.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:33 AM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

I have read where Eneloop batteries do not like big demands.  So I use 6V batteries and high capacity configurations that would be otherwise sufficient to withstand the demands.  I have not as yet had a problem.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:02 PM
oldtimer4759

hi,
I have several 30cc size Warbirds, I run 2 Eneloop packs in each model, both 5 cell packs, plus a 4 cell pack for the engine, never had a problem,

BUT, it depends on the size of the digital servos you are using and the type of model you are flying, the type of radio, all you have said is 7 digital servos, more info would help.

Oldtimer
Old 03-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Disarray

I have a bird with 5 8611 servos (high torque digitals) and flew it for about a year on 2 5 cell eneloop packs. I change to the A9 TX that gave me real time battery telemetry. About halfway through my first flight of the day, the batteries would drop to 5 volts under load. Did not lose the plane, but it did make me change out my battery. I now use those same batteries in a Telemaster with 6 standard analog servos. My battery voltage never sags below 6 volts at any time during my flights, even when doing snaps, rolling loops and such. I use the eneloops cause that is what I have laying around, but I will not buy any more for RX packs.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:16 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have also been running some large trainers (5 standard servos) with 2000mah Eneloops and 2.4 with never a problem.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:20 PM
tomfiorentino

What he said....

Really.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:04 AM
WRM

Where did they get this information on the Eneloop?
Old 03-08-2012, 05:36 AM
tomfiorentino

There is a nice discussion on them on the hangtimes website. Probably the most authoritative info you will find on batteries.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:04 AM
Goldenduff

Yea, I did mention that in the first reply to this post!!!