Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 05:40 PM
tunakuts3d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

1 Twin engine
2 counter rotating props
3 crew of two plus 12 passengers
4 once landed on the white house lawn
5 span 33'4" Length 47' 3 1/2"
6 Despite rave reviews from over 40 pilots no production contracts were made

7 think V/STOL
Old 03-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: tunakuts3d

1 Twin engine
2 counter rotating props
3 crew of two plus 12 passengers
4 once landed on the white house lawn
5 span 33'4'' Length 47' 3 1/2''
6 Despite rave reviews from over 40 pilots no production contracts were made

7 think V/STOL
The Canadair CL-84 Dynavert? Thanks; Ernie P.

The Canadair CL-84 "Dynavert", designated by the Canadian Forces as the CX-131, was a V/STOL turbine tiltwing monoplane designed and manufactured by Canadair between 1964 and 1972. Only four of these experimental aircraft were built with three entering flight testing. Two of the CL-84s crashed due to mechanical failures, but no loss of life occurred as a result of these accidents. Despite the fact that the CL-84 was very successful in the experimental and operational trials carried out between 1972 and 1974, no production contracts resulted.

The first newly designed CL-84-1 (CX8401) flew on 19 February 1970 with Bill Longhurst again at the controls. He continued with the CL-84 program until his retirement from active flying in January 1971. Doug Atkins then assumed the role of chief test pilot. At about the same time, at the height of the Vietnam War, the US Navy expressed interest in the concept. Atkins was dispatched on a cross-country tour that took a CL-84-1 to Washington DC (landing on the White House lawn), Norfolk, Virginia, Edwards Air Force Base and eventually full-blown trials on the USS Guam. The CL-84-1 performed flawlessly, demonstrating versatility in a wide range of onboard roles, including troop deployment, radar surveillance and anti-submarine warfare.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:06 PM
tunakuts3d

Yes,You got it. You're up Ernie !

Old 03-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: tunakuts3d

Yes,You got it. You're up Ernie !

Thank you, Sir. Continuing in the theme of "planes that everyone flew"... Ernie P.

A truly seminal aircraft, it was renowned worldwide.

What warbird do I describe?

Clues:

(1) It was truly a world aircraft, serving in the armed forces of Germany, Italy, Japan, France, Australia, Great Britain and the United States.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:00 AM
Ernie P.

An early morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(1) It was truly a world aircraft, serving in the armed forces of Germany, Italy, Japan, France, Australia, Great Britain and the United States.

(2) In addition, it was featured in one of the most famous movie clips of all time.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) In addition, it was featured in one of the most famous movie clips of all time.

(3) If it isn’t a household name, it is only because it’s successor aircraft were even better known.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:37 PM
zippome

I'm trying to think of what movie youre talking about. So, I'm gonna guess Casablanca, and the Lockheed Electra ?
Old 03-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: zippome

I'm trying to think of what movie youre talking about. So, I'm gonna guess Casablanca, and the Lockheed Electra ?
Sorry, no. Maybe not as well known as Casablanca, but still a classic. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(3) If it isn’t a household name, it is only because it’s successor aircraft were even better known.

(4) It’s successor aircraft included both bombers and passenger planes.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:26 PM
Ernie P.

And a late night clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(5) An early production model finished second, to a purpose built racer, in an 8,000 mile race.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:27 AM
Ernie P.

An early morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(5) An early production model finished second, to a purpose built racer, in an 8,000 mile race.

(6) It was a low wing, twin engine aircraft; with variable pitch propellers.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:35 AM
96TT

Douglas DC-2
Old 03-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: 96TT

Douglas DC-2

Bingo! The Good Ship Lollypop it is. Parent to both the Bolo B-18 and the DC-3, it was truly a seminal aircraft. And; you're up, 96TT. Take it away. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(6) It was a low wing, twin engine aircraft; with variable pitch propellers.

(7) Introduced in the mid thirties.

(8) Also served with Austria, Switzerland, Finland and Spain.

Answer: The Douglas DC-2

The Douglas DC-2 was a 14-seat, twin-engine airliner produced by the American company Douglas Aircraft Corporation starting in 1934. It competed with the Boeing 247. In 1935 Douglas produced a larger version called the DC-3, which became one of the most successful aircraft in history.

In the early 1930s, fears about the safety of wooden aircraft structures (responsible for the crash of a Fokker Trimotor) compelled the American aviation industry to develop all-metal types. With United Airlines having a monopoly on the Boeing 247, rival Transcontinental and Western Air issued a specification for an all-metal trimotor.

The response of the Douglas Aircraft Company was more radical. When it flew on July 1, 1933, the prototype DC-1 had a highly robust tapered wing, a retractable undercarriage, and only two 690 hp (515 kW) Wright radial engines driving variable-pitch propellers. It seated 12 passengers.

TWA accepted the basic design and ordered 20, with more powerful engines and seating for 14 passengers, as DC-2s. The design impressed a number of American and European airlines and further orders followed. Those for European customers KLM, LOT, Swissair, CLS and LAPE were assembled by Fokker in the Netherlands after that company bought a licence from Douglas. Airspeed Ltd. took a similar license for DC-2s to be delivered in Britain and assigned the company designation Airspeed AS.23, but although a registration for one aircraft was reserved none were actually delivered. Another licence was taken by the Nakajima Aircraft Company in Japan; unlike Fokker and Airspeed, Nakajima built five aircraft as well as assembling at least one Douglas-built aircraft. A total of 130 Civil DC-2s were built with another 62 for the United States military. In 1935, Don Douglas stated in an article, that the DC-2 cost approximately $80,000 per aircraft, if mass produced.

Although overshadowed by its ubiquitous successor, it was the DC-2 that first showed that passenger air travel could be comfortable, safe and reliable. As a token of this, KLM entered its first DC-2 PH-AJU Uiver (Stork) in the October 1934 MacRobertson Air Race between London and Melbourne. Out of the 20 entrants, it finished second behind only the purpose built de Havilland DH.88 racer Grosvenor House. During the total journey time of 90 hours, 13 min, it was in the air for 81 hours, 10 min, and won the handicap section of the race. (The DH.88 finished first in the handicap section, but the crew was by regulations allowed to claim only one victory.) It flew KLM's regular 9,000 mile route, (a thousand miles longer than the official race route), carrying mails, making every scheduled passenger stop, turning back once to pick up a stranded passenger, and even became lost in a thunderstorm and briefly stuck in the mud after a diversionary landing at Albury racecourse on the very last leg of the journey.

Military and government operators
Argentina
Argentine Naval Aviation - 5 (+1) DC-2 ex civilian Venezuelan [13]
Australia
Royal Australian Air Force - Ten aircraft were in service with the RAAF from 1940 to 1946.
No. 8 Squadron RAAF
No. 36 Squadron RAAF
Parachute Training School RAAF
Wireless Air Gunners School RAAF
Austria
Austrian Government
Finland
Finnish Air Force Donated by the Swedish military during the Winter War (1939-1940) which flew a bombing mission based on Tampere on 22 February 1940
France
French government
Germany
Luftwaffe
Japan
Imperial Japanese Army Air Service - A single example of the DC-2 was impressed by the Imperial Japanese Army.[14]
Spanish Republic
Spanish Air Force took over five DC-2s from LAPE inventory.[citation needed]
United Kingdom
Royal Air Force
United States
United States Army Air Corps *
United States Army Air Forces
United States Marine Corps *
United States Navy *

The DC-2 was the "Good Ship Lollipop" that Shirley Temple sang about in the 1934 movie, Bright Eyes.

The Douglas B-18 Bolo bomber served with the United States Army Air Corps and the Royal Canadian Air Force (as the Douglas Digby) during the late 1930s and early 1940s. The Bolo was built by Douglas Aircraft Company and based on its DC-2 and was developed to replace the Martin B-10.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:47 AM
96TT

OK, Here I go.

What airplain do I discrebe?

clues:

1) This airplain was areal sensation at the 15th airsalon in Paris in 1936.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:30 AM
96TT

This awnser I 've gotten in a pm, but these are not the plain I'm looking for.

"The PZL.23A? Several to choose from; WACO won the prize, and the Soviets had the I-17 and ANT-25."

clues:

1) This airplain was a real sensation at the 15th airsalon in Paris in 1936.

2) This is a twin-engined, twin-boomed airplain. 

Old 03-06-2012, 06:51 AM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fokker G-1?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:52 AM
96TT

That is correct. The Fokker G-1. JohnnyS you're up now again.

greetings Kjel
Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 AM
JohnnyS

1. On its attempted first flight, it was not able to take off. .

2. It was flown by the Poles, Greeks, Romanians, Luftwaffe, the Vichy regime and by the Free French.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:48 AM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: JohnnyS

1. On its attempted first flight, it was not able to take off. .

2. It was flown by the Poles, Greeks, Romanians, Luftwaffe, the Vichy regime and by the Free French.

The Bloch MB.150? Thanks; Ernie P.

The Bloch MB.150 was a French low-wing, all-metal monoplane fighter aircraft with retractable landing gear and enclosed cockpit developed by Société des Avions Marcel Bloch as a contender in the 1934 French air ministry competition for a new fighter design.

Although the competition was won by the Morane-Saulnier M.S.406 prototype, development proceeded culminating in the first attempted flight of the MB.150.01 prototype in 1936. Unfortunately, the aircraft proved unable to leave the ground. With modifications consisting of a strengthened wing of greater area, revised landing gear, and installation of a 701 kW (940 hp) Gnome-Rhone 14N-0 radial engine with a three-blade constant speed propeller, the MB.150 finally flew in October 1937.

MB.151s and MB.152s equipped nine Groupes de Chasse (fighter groups) during the Battle of France, but they were largely outmatched by the faster Messerschmitt Bf 109E. Six groupes continued to fly in the Vichy French Air Force until this was disbanded on 1 December 1942, the aircraft being passed over to the Royal Romanian Air Force by the Germans.

Though the Greek government had ordered 25 MB.151s, actually only nine of these were exported to Greece. They flew with the 24th Moira Dioxis (Fighter Squadron) of the Hellenic Royal Air Force in Elefsina against the Italians and Germans, scoring several air-to-air victories until 19 April 1941, when the last MB.151 was shot down.

During World War II, the Bloch MB.152 had destroyed at least 188 enemy aircraft, and lost about 86 of their own. They proved tough aircraft, able to stand considerable battle damage, and a good gunnery platform,[2] but with many problems: poor agility, poor weapon reliability, poor range (600 km, but here the Bf 109E was only slightly better, around 660 km), and were notably underpowered.

In 1944, several surviving MB.152s were liberated at an airfield in mid-southern France. After being flight-tested and evaluated, and painting out the balkenkreuzen and swastikas, they were fitted with more powerful American engines and went up against the last remnants of the Luftwaffe with the Free French.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:07 AM
JohnnyS

Right: You're up next!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: JohnnyS

Right: You're up next!
Good question, JohnnyS. You just happened to feature an aircraft about which I had read not long ago. I hope this one is up to standards. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(1) It was designed as a “contingency” backup to other aircraft already in production.

(2) Government leaders were concerned factories might be bombed, affecting the production of the other aircraft.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Ernie P.

Last clue of the day. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(1) It was designed as a “contingency” backup to other aircraft already in production.

(2) Government leaders were concerned factories might be bombed, affecting the production of the other aircraft.

(3) It was designed to use non-strategic materials (wood), both as a means of cutting production times and to avoid using materials needed for other war efforts.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:15 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Mosquito ?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:29 PM
JohnnyS

Heinkel 162 Volksjaeger?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:26 AM
Ernie P.

No correct answers thus far. Perhaps an early morning clue will help. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(3) It was designed to use non-strategic materials (wood), both as a means of cutting production times and to avoid using materials needed for other war efforts.

(4) It was specifically intended to be a very simple design, quick and easy to construct.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:27 AM
G T

Miles M20

Role Lightweight fighter
Manufacturer Miles Aircraft
Designer Walter G. Capley
First flight 15 September 1940
Primary users Royal Air Force (intended)
Fleet Air Arm (intended)
Number built 2 prototypes
Developed from Miles Master

The Miles M.20 was a Second World War fighter developed by Miles Aircraft in 1940.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.