YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS 110s problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:29 PM
BPF
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS 110s problems

I have had this engine for about a year. On its maden flight it experienced a crash from blowing off the wings of the aircraft. So I sent the engine in to YS parts and service to be repaired and they send it back in about 4 week and they said it was back to working condition. I have been running the engine until to day when I started up the aircraft and when i hit 100% power the engine came to a slow stop and hasn't started since. If anybody has any thoughts please let me know.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:07 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: YS 110s problems

Blockage in the fuel system comes to mind. You'll need to do a little detective work. If the engine is inverted it'll be easier as you can put the throttle fully open and pull the prop through 10-20 rotations and if no fuel is dripping out of the carb then it isn't taking a prime. It is important that you do this by hand as an electric starter will draw the fuel into the engine instead of letting it drip.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:16 PM
BPF

I thought to try that and it didn't make a difference.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:53 PM
petec

Exactly what did you try?
Old 03-06-2012, 06:56 PM
BPF

I opened up the carb and hand turned the prop but I also noticed I was not getting any pressure.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:21 PM
petec

How many cranks? Give me all the details you can, it will help me understand what is going on.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:23 AM
BPF

The engine will start up and idle but when I bring up the throttle it dies.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:55 AM
petec

So what changed to make it go from hasn't started since to will start but not throttle up? My thoughts are still on a blockage in the fuel system or a nicked line in the tank.

If you pull the needle valve out completely, put the throttle wide open (without a glow driver) and crank the engine through you should get a good flow of fuel coming out of the needle valve opening. If not there is something blocking it further up the line. You did flush out the fuel filter right?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:26 AM
BobV1700

Just a thought..........................that reminds me of the problems I had which we all discussed on an earlier thread 28/11/2011 or thereabouts. My problem started with the rear bearing cage breaking up and scoring the cylinder and piston very badly. I also found that the fuel system would not pressurize at all and in fact the engine would tick over very briefly but quit as soon as I began to throttle up. I eventually found the brass crankcase bushing had rotated a small amount, enough to completely block off the crank case to regulator vent hole and hence no pressure. Just a bit of a guess here, but if you attach a length of fuel pipe to the crankcase pressure nipple and place the other end in a small container of fuel and then spin the engine over with an electric starter you should see air bubbles in the container of fuel?. If not the crankcase is obviously not producing any pressure and fuel will not flow in sufficient quantity to run properly. Obviously the fuel line(s) and one way valve needs to be checked and properly working in place first. 

It just reminds me of my problem, ie no pressure in the system and the engine only running for a few seconds and then quitting.

Bob
Old 01-05-2013, 07:42 PM
cubarican323

HELLO I HAVE A YS 110 AND I SET UP THE FUEL FILTERS AND CHECK VALVE AND SEALED THE LINES AND WHEN I GO TO START IT MY STARTER BAERLY TURNS THE PROP I THINK IT MIGHT BE LOADING UP. WHAT DO YOU THINK IM DOING WRONG? PLEASE HELP