Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

BAJA SRT4 100cc gasoline twin cylinder 2-stroke 1/4 scale

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

BAJA SRT4 100cc gasoline twin cylinder 2-stroke 1/4 scale

Old 02-18-2012, 11:08 PM
JariV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BAJA SRT4 100cc gasoline twin cylinder 2-stroke 1/4 scale

I need to update the starting system into electric starter system so it's going to take some time. Current pullstart requires too much power and the cords snap very easily.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:28 PM
JariV

New starting system designed, manufactured and installed. Battery drill is the tool spinning the long starter axle facing rearwards. Tried to start it last night but the engine failed to start so far. Starter worked very well and it is easy to use.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:20 AM
Johnnysplits

ORIGINAL: Mudgy

Ahh Johnny,

how many vehicles have YOU manufactured?

I would keep very quiet if I was you, until it's running. The egg on your face won't show that way[sm=47_47.gif].
No reason to reinvent the wheel!!! Ijust want to see what kind of perfomance he's gonna get from that engine and if it stays cool enough.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:35 AM
JariV

You will find that out soon enough.

I think I found out the reason why the engine failed to start. Too long and too small ignition module wires. I will replace the wires with heavier wires and try again. And after I get it started I will tune the carb and ignition and keep on checking the temps. Then a drive test to see if the driveline holds up. If it doesn't then I need to update the driveline with stronger parts. After that I will go to a chassis dyno to see how much it will put out.

I'm asking that there would not be any kind of a fight over this matter as the last time I posted dyno graphs on another forum there was a fight because some of the other dyno operators didn't believe the numbers. That time it was about a 30,5cc engine I built with my own mods. After that incident I never published any numbers because if that only results to a grown-up playground with verbal fists flying in the air then there's no point to publish anything.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:38 AM
Croozer
My Feedback: (1)

Nice job!

Just remember 'Haters gonna hate'.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

ddoouubbllee ppoosstt

Old 03-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Jari this is a free forum and you have every right to post whatever you want.
Don't let a few negative comments from people who don't understand what you're doing stop you.
If things get out of hand I'm sure the good moderators will deal with it accordingly.

We're all (part from the odd doubter) confident that your car will work just fine.
Maybe not straight away but in the end you'll make it work.
You're clearly a talented builder with la good understanding of small motors and scale RC cars.

There's always one person who has to stick their nose in homebuild threads with their opinions.
When it comes down to it, nobody's trying to reinvent the wheel, just have a bit of fun and create something different.
If they can't understand that they should stay away from homebuild threads, keep their opinions to themselves and stick to playing with things that come in a box with instructions.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:31 PM
JariV

Thank you Dirty,

very friendly words. You are a gentleman.

Bad news. I begun to wonder why the engine only coughs every once in a while and thought that I had used too thin gauge wire to power the CDI. Replaced the wires with heavier gauge equivalents only to find out that the engine is still not willing to start. I thought that the only possible remaining reason is that the CDI unit is faulty. Checked for spark with a timing light and there was spark on the left cylinder but NOTHING happening on the right one! And the box came new with the new engine. Goddamit! The new box is faulty! As you know it does not matter if the plug itself is faulty and if CDI is supplying voltage to the spark plug (which is supposed to be faulty) then you can still see the "spark" in the wire itself.

So I need to buy another CDI. And for that i am asking help from you now.
Here's the situation:
- power supply voltage for CDI is 6.0 - 7.0 volts (normal 4600 mah Nimh 5-cell battery)
- 2 cylinders
- 100cc RCS SV twin gasoline 2-stroke engine (rc aviation engine)
- magnetic pickup on the crankshaft collar
- no modifications by me to these parts

My problem is that the ignition curve in the box is designed for aviation use. I would need an ignition curve suited for car application. Of course I can adjust the position of the pickup to reduce the massive ignition advance to gain more rpm's on top but it will still be a compromise. I would like to find a supplier or somebody who could make me an adjustable CDI with at least a 3-point curve. Preferably a 6-point curve. I don't do electronics myself. Does anybody her know who might be able to help me? I am not assuming to get anything free of charge unless someone is introducing a new product that I could test. I am a very good test pilot also in written format.

So, can somebody help me? Or know who might?

What about this:
http://ot40.com/cdi_ignition.htm
Old 03-06-2012, 06:56 AM
speedypetey61

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think you need to contact Oddified.com. Speak to Ian, I am sure he can steer you in the right direction.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Futterama

Maybe this could be a solution? They have for 2-cyl engine and custom ignition curve:

http://www.power-spark.de/index_en.html

Jari, this project is very very cool. The car looks awesome! I haven't read the whole thread yet, but will do tomorrow. A guy asked me to help in this thread because he knew I do a lot of electronics at home, so I hope my link can help you.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:46 PM
JariV

VERY INTERESTING !!

One question: Is there a version that utilizes a signal pickup (Hall sensor) and not a replacement flywheel voltage?

Can i use the original pickup and send the signal from that sensor to this system and not need to install another type of a flywheel?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Futterama

I haven't used the system myself, so I don't really know. But there is a contact page, try to contact them directly with your questions.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:14 PM
JariV

I read the installation instructions. I understand now. So a separate flywheel is not needed.

INTERESTIIIIINNNNGGG !!!!!!!

THANK YOU Futterama!!!

One thing that I did not see included is the coils. I need to ask about that.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Futterama

The coils are not included, the system is meant for marine use where they have a source coil for making a few 100's volts and this voltage is put into the high voltage spark ignition coil. So you need the spark coils on the side, I think it is something like this:

http://redlinemotors.us/#/zenoah-260...ion/4541609656

You see the red source coil, this coil is replaced by the CDI ignition, and the grey coil is used for making the spark.

Also see this from the manual: "engines with more than one cylinder and engine speeds exceeding 20000rpm need battery packs with minimum 9V supply voltage" - your engine has more than 1 cylinder so you might need a higher battery voltage.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:35 AM
Killer RC

Awesome work. Those pipes are sexy.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:51 AM
JariV

Thank you. Hope to get it to run very soon. And hear the pipes.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:51 PM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

I've just recenly started checking this thread out, and OMG!!! this thing is an amazing work of art! excellent craftsmanship JariV. I love just seeing this rc. it looks so badass with the body and tires. Hope to see a video soon! great job!
Old 03-15-2012, 04:49 AM
JariV

Thanks cumminspower,

I got another stock type ignition in the mail today and I will try to get the engine started with that first. I will order the Power Spark also but first I will need the baseline so I can then easily see the differences. Hopefully I get the chance for some footage so you guys will also see and hear something.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:15 AM
JariV

I don't believe this... New parts plus an Emcotec remote killswitch and all possible switching combos and all settings done. Failsafe keeps on and no effing spark. I begin to be so frustrated that I want to find the biggest sledgehammer in the garage and do some "tuning" to that @!;:'f car...
Old 03-16-2012, 02:41 AM
Mudgy

deep breaths mate....no problems only solutions. You will come out on top mate.[8D]
Old 03-16-2012, 03:41 AM
madmax123

just read the thread and i am anoyed with some of the responces and angry!

the build is great but personally i don't know why you bothered to post it up HERE!!! i have seen a few of my friends on here been banned for little to nothing,some hardcore
R/C users,it's always the same the rude ones seem to get away with it here all the time.nobody should be allowed to say such comments,johnny splits comments are not CONSTRUCTIVE at all,he should have thought about his posts before making your thread look bad and anoying you,i know i would get anoyed with some of those comments,people fail to see such work and dedication yet are fast to spot faults at a product that is not even finished nor tested.this is just agrevating the thread starter.

i for one would be extatic if it was my build as i have been of some of my own in the past and coincidently you like to share on the forum then,but posting here,with some of the users that can get away with been this rude,i wouldn't bother,i know i would end up angry and irritated!!!
end of the day we can all take criticisim,we are not all soft touches- but saying something won't work is not helping it is as i have ranted on about just downright anoying and rude!!

enjoy the beautiful car!

quote: jariv
Thank you Dirty,

you don't know him as good as some of the rest of us then obviously

anyway,keep it up,hope you get it started!

Old 03-16-2012, 04:06 AM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

ORIGINAL: madmax123

Thank you Dirty,

you don't know him as good as some of the rest of us then obviously

anyway,keep it up,hope you get it started!

...And.... who are you? [&:]
I get along with most people on forums and don't recall ever having come across you in the past.

I see you're fairly new to this forum... possibly someone who got banned in the past and set up a new account.
Either way you went out of your way to make a remark about me but when it all comes down I think I'll be just fine.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:20 AM
madmax123

i just registered in march,i have been reading here on and off for a long time and see you starting flame wars with several users in the past and you wern't too civil
at the best of times,you have done nothing to me ever but i just don't like the way you ganged up on some users here in the past.it's nice to be civil guys and have some manners! people seem to forget this on the internet,anybody can set up a forum or website and anybody can get banned!! it's nice to be respectfull of other users in the end of the day,we are all on here for the same reason R/C cars! it's always the same on RC forums,people just stir the crap and aggrovate others for no reason,when you do some much work to the cars and go to the effort to share it on forums more often than not you end up walking away feeling very angry and anoyed with some of the comments! what's worse is when the trools get away with it.

look let's not crap on this thread any longer,i was really just anoyed with the posts in his thread.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:27 AM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Well for starters it says that you registered 12/2/2011.....

I've never started any wars on this or any other forum.
Nor do I "gang up" with other users.

Whatever you're trying to do it's not working.

If you have anything further you'd like to say to me please do so in a PM.

Now lets get this thread back on topic.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:30 AM
kenazzo2000

Well ive just seen this thread today hmm i think i was sleeping lol well what can i say i like it when someone try s something new thats what i do homebuilds are the best youve done a great job jariv these homemade cars need to be tested to see what needs to be changed that's part of the fun of building never know whats going to happen you have got trouble with the engine try and talk to some rc plane guys maybe they can help hope you get it running never give up good job mate

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.