Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Humor
Reload this Page >

Truth is stranger than fiction in model airplanes

Notices
RC Humor Have an RC related joke or story? If it is RC humor you're looking for we have this forum to make you happy now.

Truth is stranger than fiction in model airplanes

Old 08-07-2007, 11:44 PM
i live for 3D
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Truth is stranger than fiction in model airplanes

yea well i have lost 2 wheels in flight before!...i had to harrier it in for landing
Old 08-11-2007, 08:18 AM
BillyGoat

Well two stories of half a horizontal stab coming off then landing the plane without incident. Had the exact same thing happen and my story pretty much follows the previous. Stab comes off flutters to the ground. Expecting the imamate crash to happen but it doesn’t happen, so I bring it around for one of my best greased landings. Then look like some wizard pilot to those the witnessed the incident.

I’m waiting for the guy to post the story I read here a couple years ago that lost radio contact with his plane and watched it off. He turns off the Tx then sits down to have a cigarette. A few minutes latter he hears the hum of a model engine, grabs the Tx, turns it back on and lands the plane.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:53 PM
ClemenTang

makes a good commercial.

Clement
Old 08-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not really funny-ha-ha, but a couple weeks ago a friend at the field gave me a new Tx strap to replace the one I had misplaced. Put strap around neck, took off, and after flying for a bit remembered that I should maybe clip the strap to the Tx. Well, in doing so I managed to turn my transmitter off!![sm=confused_smile.gif]

Within the span of 2.5 seconds, realized my mistake, turned the Tx on again, and saved the plane just before it went behind the trees in a full-power dive. Landed with several years deducted from life span pf pilot.[:D]
Old 08-24-2007, 08:34 AM
edberg

I've lost half an elevator on my Parkzone FW190, surprisingly it flew fine, I even spent the rest of the day flying on half an elevator.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Montague

Here's one that I witnessed that is pretty funny.

One of the more experienced pilots in the club was helping another guy with a Top Flight giant P-51 ARF. It was a new plane, maybe it's first flight, I'm not sure. He takes off and flys around, everything is going great. Suddenly he loses radio, yells out, and starts "fishing". You know, when a plane is getting glitched badly, and you move the antenna around hopeing for a better link? Well, he gets the TX held up high and sideways. The plane is in a pretty steap dive, but suddenly responds. Since holding the TX up over his head and sideways saved the plane, the pilot then flew the plane around and landed it that way!

Once he landed, another guy who had also been watching walked up and said "what channel are you on?". Turns out, they did the test flight with out having the frequency pin! The other club member had arrived and gotten the pin while the new plane was in flight. When he turned on his TX before starting his engine, he heard the guys in the pilot box yell out, so he quickly turned off his TX! It was the quick thinking and turning off of the TX that saved the model, not the holding of the TX in such a funny way.

Needless to say, the story made the rounds in the club pretty quickly as a great lesson about making sure you have the pin, even if you are the only ones at the field at the time.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Montague

I have several "landed plane after a mid-air removed large portions of the airplane" stories from flying combat. Probably the most dramatic looking is this one. After getting hit, I was able to fly the plane around, make a couple of turns, pull the power and make a fairly normal landing. Had to hold a lot of aileron the whole time, but I think the wreckage still being attached added enough drag to keep the plane close to stable. Oh, and that plane doesn't have a rudder:

Old 08-24-2007, 11:40 PM
Isaiah 40:31

A no-rudder landing with that sort of damage. Impressive!
Old 11-23-2011, 05:03 PM
WaffleMan
My Feedback: (1)

Once my friend was hovering his electric profile foamy when the prop came off the plane. the plane just dropped like a stone.

Another time he was flying a different electric profile foamy and he tried to fly under a bench. Part of the prop was stuck in the wood!

Once the nosecone of my edf mirage came off as I was trying to take off.

I once had a midair with an easystar... I never saw it! I only found out about it after I landed... The glider had minimal damage, but what gets me is that I was so concentrated on my sweet stick that I never saw the glider. (Just for the record, the glider got in my way, not the other way around. I was flying the pattern. It wasn't my fault okay!?)   

I have done a touch and go where my prop got shredded up pretty bad and I took back off not even knowing it... I ditched in a field right next to the runway with minimal damage.

I have taken off without extending my antena, noticed the previosly stated fact, corrected it, then peacefully completing the flight.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Grooverc

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Here's a heli story for you. A guy in my club back in Jersey was flying his heli. He zipped the throttle to full and when the heli jumped up, it dislodged the battery which fell to the ground - and the heli just flew full-bore out of sight.

That evening, another guy from our club was coming home from work and saw a heli on the side of the parkway exit. He stopped, picked it up and thought, "This looks like Richie's helicopter". Went home and called Richie. It only had minor damage
Old 12-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Grooverc

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Here's a heli story for you. A guy in my club back in Jersey was flying his heli. He zipped the throttle to full and when the heli jumped up, it dislodged the battery which fell to the ground - and the heli just flew full-bore out of sight.

That evening, another guy from our club was coming home from work and saw a heli on the side of the parkway exit. He stopped, picked it up and thought, "This looks like Richie's helicopter". Went home and called Richie. It only had minor damage
God dialed this heli with his pinkie.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:08 AM
LonnieMcc

This took place many years ago when I was just getting started. I had bought a trainer at the LHS took it home and stripped it down and fixed it back up. Well, while I was still in flight training, my instructor was bringing it in so we could refuel. As he was on final it went dead stick and he landed it off in a ditch. But when he did, it went between to small trees and ripped the wing in half, right down the middle. He told me that it was not a problem to fix. So I took the plane home, made a new spar and put the wing back together.

Not the funny part lol.

About a week later I went back out the field with repaired plane in hand. My current teacher was not at the field that day, but another great flyer was. So he said he would re-maiden the plane. Well take-off was ok. But once the plane was up, all hell broke loose. The plane was all over the place as he was trying to set the trim. At the field I use to fly at, there was a line of Pine's about 15 feet behind us. Needless to say, the plane went behind them and out of site. I was expecting the worse, but after about two minutes of him working the controls my plane comes flying out back over the field. The instructer was finally able to land the plane.

I am guessing that when I repaired the wing my table was not quite level, lol
Old 12-06-2011, 07:24 AM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Truth stranger than fiction....Well Guys.

Some time ago I was atour flying field that is way out on a farm, away from everything. We were a couple of guys flying.
I got my trusty old 9 ft Cub ready, lined it up, opened the throttle and started the take off run. Then, suddenly, here comes this humungus black and redrooster -overa 3ftwingspanand start chasing the Cub like it is a hen he is chasing.... all the way up to about 200 ft high - then it gave up the chase and turned away.

Oh, I almost forgot, then, last year, I was flying this old trusty Cub of mine again on the same field andwe did some rabbit hunting by dropping a 2 ft vuvuzela like a dart on an unexpected Bugs Bunny from about 600 ft up...

Man, this sounds like a genuine BS story ..... see post #39......

Cheers

Bundu
Old 12-06-2011, 08:30 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I didn't see this personally, but 5 friends of mine did...

This young pilot was flying a Bucker biplane, probably a 70 inch wing or so..it had a gasoline engine in it..
he throttles up on take off, the plane is wandering a bit..left and right.. he pulls it off the ground hard under power and the airplane starts to veer hard to the right and is on a out of control knife edge as it screams towards a post on the edge of the field... there used to be a fence at this sight, but now the wire is gone and only a few wooden posts remain..just as it looks like the plane will collide and tumble into pieces, the right wheel touchs the very top of the post and it knocks the plane back to level.. and the young pilot continues on with the flight like nothing happened !

And as mentioned above , I DID see a glow powered ducted jet fly out of site when the pilot lost orientation... he dropped the radio to his hip, and we all just stood there.. this was when ducted glow was high dollar high tech... after awhile we started hearing the plane again.. it was coming straight back level and fast.. it was an uneventful landing ! At this time I don't recall if he turned off the radio anymore :P but he sure had time to...
Old 12-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Truth stranger than fiction.... Refer to post # 37 above ......

Video clip of the large rooster story..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC8aTF9UP5U<o></o>

<o>

Video clip of the rabbit hunt story ...
</o>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsoerBGa1Vo

The truth can sometimes indeed be stranger than fiction.......but then it does sound like an awfully good BS story over a couple of beers.....

Cheers

Bundu

Old 12-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Kwigen

Years ago I would fly my Sweet Stick most every night in the cool of the evening after work. There was a flock of a dozen or so starlings which would cross my airspace about the same time each night. After a week of trying to be in postition (above and behind them) at the proper time, I managed an attack. The bird I hit neatly removed the right aileron horn causing the aileron to begin to flutter. Fortunately I was able to get the plane slowed down before it shook itself to pieces and land safely. Whether the bird survived or not I have no idea. They failed to return the following night, and I had no plans for another attack.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Clancy Arnold

This was not a strange flightbut is a true tale.

As a teenager Ilived right across the street from the entrance to the City Cemetary.
There was a drive down the center of the entrance which was about a city block long. Part way back it widened enough to fly a Control Line model on 60 foot lines.
I was enjoying a flight when a Funeral Procession came driveing in!
Quick, What should I do? Crash the model, fly over the cars, or a bunch of loops which would twist up and bind the lines!
The model flew good so I started doing wing overs. Fly a half a lap and climb into a wing over parallel to the road over and over again. Lucky for me they ran out of cars before I ran out of fuel.
Iam now 76 years young and still enjoy Control Line flying. See my Avitar!
Clancy
Old 03-10-2012, 01:38 PM
georbeckha
My Feedback: (12)

This happened last year to a member of our club (I'll not mention his name as not to embarass him)

He brought a new plane out to the field for it's maiden. After the pre-flight checks and fina check of the control surfaces (I know he checked everything because I watched him do it)
He ligned it up on the runway and took off on a fairly steep climb-out. Next thing you know he's rolling left and right and making it look like it was drunk.  He throttled down, made a drunk lap and landed uneventfully.
He taxied back to the pits and **** down. He looked decidedly green. All he said in a calm quiet voice was "The Ailerons aere reversed"

George
Old 03-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Clancy Arnold

George
While doing research for the Taube in my Avatar I read about a Doctor in the USA that in about 1913bought onetoteach himself howto fly it. After a couple of years he shipped it back to Germany for servicing. While back at the factory someone noticed that one of the controls was connected backwards. They corrected it but did notenter it on the repairs performedlist. He saidit almost killed him before he figured out what was wrong.

I had a friend who passed away recently that was injured in a private plane when it made a crash landing in a farmers field. The plane had just been returned from a major inspection. During the inspection a trim tab cable looked frayed so it was replaced. Yep!! They hooked up the new cable backwards. The pilot would crank in trim and it needed more trim . By the time the pilot figured out the problem the trim tab was jammed and he could not retain altitude.

Moral of the story, ALWAYSask some one else toALSO check your controls before a first flight.
Clancy