Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

A better prop for Eflite Carbon-Z

Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

A better prop for Eflite Carbon-Z

Old 01-07-2012, 07:57 AM
DeaninMilwaukee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A better prop for Eflite Carbon-Z

I was looking to get into something a little bigger and more powerful, perhaps .40 class for some pattern flying practice when the first ads for the EfliteCarbon-Z showed up.

It seemed a pretty good flyer with plenty of power and was indeed quite fun to fly, about what I expected of it.

While the plane flew very nicely, I wasn’t pleased with the short flight times and low top speed, which was partially caused by the stock prop. At 12×5.25, it made excellent thrust, but required a lot of throttle to just maintain level flight. I tried out an apc 10×7-e as a Motocalc‘ed best guess at a prop that woulddraw about the same current as stock. With this one change, the plane flew much more to my liking. It was considerably faster and was able to maintain level flight at around 1/2 throttle. Taking advantage of this, my flight times went from the 4 minute range to more than 6, and the batteries stayed much cooler as well. It still has plenty of power to hover, but seems more powerful in ordinary flight, especially regarding climb rate. It can get to be a speck in the sky very quickly now. I do agree that the 10″ prop looks kinda small on the front of the plane, but its results can’t be argued with. I feel it makes the plane more fun to fly than stock.

Dean

Old 03-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Handiman
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: A better prop for Eflite Carbon-Z

Try some different props
At $3 each you should get a couple of spares anyways.
You should test with a watt meter to be sure you do not exceed your speed controller or battery capibiltiies.
When you want some advice please xplain-
Which motor are your using? What batteries are you using? What speed controller are you using?
If itis stock say so. Please.
Someone may have tested a setup before.
Good Luck
Old 03-11-2012, 06:17 AM
DeaninMilwaukee

Default RE: A better prop for Eflite Carbon-Z

"Try some different props
At $3 each you should get a couple of spares anyways.
You should test with a watt meter to be sure you do not exceed your speed controller or battery capibiltiies.
When you want some advice please xplain-
Which motor are your using? What batteries are you using? What speed controller are you using?
If it is stock say so. Please.
Someone may have tested a setup before.
Good Luck "

Ok in order:

I used motocalc to determine most likely best prop.
I have a wattmeter, but I know that since rpms are about the same, amps are about the same.No overloading anything.
I wasn't asking advice, I was sharing what worked.
The plane is stock except for the new prop. Batts are Zippy 2650 20c's.
Props are in stock everywhere, its a common prop.
I did search, and found no one using this prop, which is why I posted about it.

Dean