Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

NEED HELP-TORNADO S30-BRAKE PAD BURNED

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

NEED HELP-TORNADO S30-BRAKE PAD BURNED

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:41 AM
vishaltaurean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP-TORNADO S30-BRAKE PAD BURNED

I just received my brand new Tornado S30 yesterday. During first step of engine break-in process,(with factory default settings) within first 60 seconds engine accelerated to full speed without moving tires and i saw smoke coming out from brake pad(i think, the round disc attached to spur gear box) and it melted the brake pad. Now i cannot move tires as burned brake pad is stucked.(it was moving well before starting the engine) i also checked 4wd system before starting the engine and it was working fine. The gap between gears was fine too. The only thing i found unusual was Low speed needle was loose from factory. it was like that small black rubber thing was holding it and it was not tightened with the carb.

Thaks in advance.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:47 AM
vishaltaurean

Default RE: NEED HELP-TORNADO S30-BRAKE PAD BURNED

I just investigated and found out that carb throttle is jammed that's why unexpected over acceleration happened. it's just brand new buggy. any idea redcat will replace it for me ??
Old 03-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: vishaltaurean

I just investigated and found out that carb throttle is jammed that's why unexpected over acceleration happened. it's just brand new buggy. any idea redcat will replace it for me ??
not sure, depends on who you talk to there. A lot of times these things fall under "the nature of the hobby" clause. If the throttle is truely jammed meaning the barrel is stuck they probably will. If it was just a linkage issue I'm not so sure. You said it was jammed, were you able to free it up and get it working correctly? How long did it scream for? These SH engines are pretty tough. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. If you get your linkage right and continue with the break in process it'll probably run just fine. Also for the brake, take a small screwdriver and pry the disk off the pads, I've scorched one of my discs several times and it never broke. Just clean it up with a little heavy grit sand paper on the disc and the shoes, it'll work just fine.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:22 AM
vishaltaurean

Still throttle is really jammed, and it don't seem it's linkage problem because all the links with servo works just fine.(no matter what u do it just cannot be back at zero position) it did scream for about 15 seconds and then nasty smoke came out of brake so i turned it off. and yes i cleaned brake pad with little screwdriver so i'm able to move the wheels but still it chocks a bit when the burnt part come in contact with two small metal plates. so wheels are moving but freely. i was afraid of messing things up more so i didn't open  those two small plates.

Thanks Dads like rc too for your support. it was great help.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Dads like rc too

Still throttle is really jammed, and it don't seem it's linkage problem because all the links with servo works just fine.(no matter what u do it just cannot be back at zero position) it did scream for about 15 seconds and then nasty smoke came out of brake so i turned it off. and yes i cleaned brake pad with little screwdriver so i'm able to move the wheels but still it chocks a bit when the burnt part come in contact with two small metal plates. so wheels are moving but freely. i was afraid of messing things up more so i didn't open those two small plates.

Thanks Dads like rc too for your support. it was great help.
well if your saying the carb barrel is closed and it still wants to scream then you have an air leak somewhere. You could further troubleshoot the problem but the question is should you have to with a brand new car, I would call Redcat on monday and explain the situation and see what they say.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:55 PM
vishaltaurean

NO,carb barrel is jammed-OPEN not closed and that's why it's screaming.

Thanks a bunch, Dads like rc too
Old 03-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Dads like rc too

so you said the servo works fine.  Does that mean you disconnected the throttle linkage from the servo and tried it?  Is it possible you have your radio's trim set wrong not allowing the throttle to fully return?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:50 AM
vishaltaurean

yeah i disconnected servo linkage from the throttle and i can move carb throttle now with the linkage.....so i think u r right about trim setting wrong.....i tried to move nut holding linkage from throttle side to adjust to zero(idle) position but i couln't move with long nose pliers because there is not enough place for wrench there. any suggestions ??

i think i'm getting close to my normal engine....thanks to your genius mind Dads like rc too

thanx again bro.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Dads like rc too

yeah i disconnected servo linkage from the throttle and i can move carb throttle now with the linkage.....so i think u r right about trim setting wrong.....i tried to move nut holding linkage from throttle side to adjust to zero(idle) position but i couln't move with long nose pliers because there is not enough place for wrench there. any suggestions ??

i think i'm getting close to my normal engine....thanks to your genius mind Dads like rc too

thanx again bro.

ok I think were on different pages...lets start over. You say carb is staying wide open when your finger is not on the throttle control. Before we go anywhere make sure your radio isn't set up for reverse servo. Once radio is right lets check out the trottle operation.

1st. disconnect linkage from throttle servo horn. Now test throttle servo, does it return to center? If not check throttle trim adjustment on radio. If trim is correct and servo operates correctly with throttle commands from radio with the linkage still disconnected, remove servo horn and reinstall at center.

2nd. with step 1 completed and servo is working correctly, re-connect throttle linkage. When radio is turned on where is throttle? If step 1 checks out and throttle is wide open then your adjustable linkage is just set up wrong. You can leave the linkage connected to the servo, just loosen the set screw on the linkage rod and with the servo in the closed/centered position, slide the linkage until the carb is closed. Then tighten the set screw.

Hopefully I haven't confused you with my explanation, I know it's hard to relate what you read to what your hands are trying to do.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:49 PM
vishaltaurean

reply for 1:servo works just fine with radio commands.
reply for 2:when radio is turned on throttle remains about 3mm wide. that's the closest i can get with linkage connected. without linkage throttle moves in full circle. i also tried to link servo and throttle the other way but i could not get the idle screw tightened. lets come to main point......when i turn on the radio,servo remains in middle(normal position), and plate which sits around low speed needle which connects to servo rod and throttle remains at 45 degree position facing downwards towards rear tires of buggy.and hence when i brake on radio that plate just bends....so is it normal ? i'm afraid i'd break the poor plate(which i think made of plastic).

now one more question.......when u start engine how should you set the idle speed...i mean with idle screw or with low speed needle ?

i hope i have answered your questions correctly.

thanks again.........
Old 03-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Dads like rc too

reply for 1:servo works just fine with radio commands.
reply for 2:when radio is turned on throttle remains about 3mm wide. that's the closest i can get with linkage connected. without linkage throttle moves in full circle. i also tried to link servo and throttle the other way but i could not get the idle screw tightened. lets come to main point......when i turn on the radio,servo remains in middle(normal position), and plate which sits around low speed needle which connects to servo rod and throttle remains at 45 degree position facing downwards towards rear tires of buggy.and hence when i brake on radio that plate just bends....so is it normal ? i'm afraid i'd break the poor plate(which i think made of plastic).

now one more question.......when u start engine how should you set the idle speed...i mean with idle screw or with low speed needle ?

i hope i have answered your questions correctly.

thanks again.........
ok the carb barrel plate that the linkage hooks into should be pointing approx 45 degrees in an upward position when looking at the side of the engine viewing from the battery tray side of truck "pointing to approx 2 o'clock". If the locknut holding that plate onto the barrel is loose, it will let the barrel slide out and rotate out of position like your explaining.

You should set the idle speed after the HSN is adjusted. Of course you may have to adjust it a little in the begining to keep it running but adjusting the HSN will also require an idle adjustment.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:34 PM
vishaltaurean

yes i think locknut is loose....any idea how to tighten it ???........and when linkage hook if 45 degrees upwards like 2 o'clock i cannot tighten the idle screw.....it just moves in circles any way to fix it ???

thanks a lotttttttt
Old 03-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Dads like rc too

yes i think locknut is loose....any idea how to tighten it ???........and when linkage hook if 45 degrees upwards like 2 o'clock i cannot tighten the idle screw.....it just moves in circles any way to fix it ???

thanks a lotttttttt
I just use a short pair of needle nose pliers. Sounds like you found your issue.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:22 AM
vishaltaurean

when linkage hook if 45 degrees upwards like 2 o'clock i cannot tighten the idle screw.....i can only get to the groove only when linkage hook is 45 degree downwards.....when its upwards like "2 o'clock" position as dads_like_rc_too mentioned, i cannot find the groove....any suggestions ??

thanks in advance....