Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Do your neighbors know you are in "the hobby"?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Do your neighbors know you are in "the hobby"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:48 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do your neighbors know you are in "the hobby"?

I was talking with a fellow hobbyist this past weekend, and he was telling me he has a hard time finding places to run and his neighbors don't like him running on their street.

I've been fortunate. I know most my neighbors and they know why I'm "always in the garage" and some of them have even taken an interest and might start. I run around my driveway and maybe a few quick runs up and down the street when testing something, but other than that I try to keep it pretty quite.

We all know that RC cars (especially nitros) attract attention. Curious what your neighbors think and/or is it difficult to find places in your immediate vecinity to do a quick run for maintenance.

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:59 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do your neighbors know you are in

My neighbors all know im into it just because i run them around the house fairly often. I dont do it at odd hours, and im usually not out for more than 30-45 minutes so it shouldnt be enough to bother anyone much. Or at least they dont complain

My next door neighbor always talks about how neat they are and that he has always wanted to try one. I have also had a few people walking by stop and talk to me about them as well.

I was out at the park one day playing on the skate ramps. A guy came over and said he was a pretty good ways across the park and heard my buggy and wanted to come check it out. He said he could tell by the sound that it was a nitro engine. I have talked to some interesting people just from them coming up as im running.

I guess im lucky I live in a small town. Heck i am renting a duplex on main street right now until my wife and i decide to buy a place, and I still have yet to have anyone complain. One of the advantages to living in a small town i guess. Well that, and the fact that my landlord is the Mayor
Old 03-12-2012, 08:02 PM
savagecommander

i dont take chances- i already had some stuff stolen from me, so i make sure im far away from my place when i do run. i keep a body post reamer with me just in case.

i have a 5B- so i think if i did run near my house, it would be "police on the scene"
Old 03-12-2012, 08:11 PM
The_Shark

everyone knows, my buggy is stupid loud, ive been living here since i was 6 (im almost 22 now) and i have been running R/c since 4, i only have a few neighbors that moved in when we did, but they are all cool about it, and actually my neighbor lets me run through his front yard (but i am careful not to dig up the grass)

when i run away from home (not at the track) i carry a hatchet on me just in case i get bothered (along with a water bottle if i get a case of "nitro eye"
Old 03-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Shabbernigdo

well once i fire up my baja any one who dident know finds out really quick. its not quiet at all.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:36 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

i dont take chances- i already had some stuff stolen from me, so i make sure im far away from my place when i do run. i keep a body post reamer with me just in case.

i have a 5B- so i think if i did run near my house, it would be ''police on the scene''
Really... Do you live in the ghetto or something?

My neighbors know about my hobby and I'm pretty sure they don't really care about it, they neither like it or hate it. The old guy next door asked about it once but usually people in my area pretty much keep to themselves. I only run electrics so I don't make a lot of noise and I don't run in the street much because it gets boring and the gutters always end up costing me money. If I was running a nitro I wouldn't expect my neighbors to be annoyed. Funny thing is the guy across the street from me has a nitro that he hardly uses and one night at around 10 him and his buddies pulled it out and started running up and down the street, after about 10 minutes I was the one who went out and told them it might be a good idea to put it away. His nitro hasn't been heard since.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:29 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My neighbors sure do, they're not fond of the sound a nitro engine makes. They give me nasty looks every time I fire one of them up, but it's a public street, so I can run whatever I want. I had them call the police on me once. Cop comes up and we start talking, as far as he was concerned, they're not illegal as long as I'm not interfering with traffic. He was amazed by how fast they go, and asked a lot of questions. Eventually he asks if I have any I would sell, he stops by after his shift and buys an electric stampede from me. Neighbors were not happy about that whole situation.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:36 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

ORIGINAL: proanti1

My neighbors sure do, they're not fond of the sound a nitro engine makes. They give me nasty looks every time I fire one of them up, but it's a public street, so I can run whatever I want. I had them call the police on me once. Cop comes up and we start talking, as far as he was concerned, they're not illegal as long as I'm not interfering with traffic. He was amazed by how fast they go, and asked a lot of questions. Eventually he asks if I have any I would sell, he stops by after his shift and buys an electric stampede from me. Neighbors were not happy about that whole situation.
LOL That's a funny story. I don't have a problem with nitros running in the street, it's only as loud as someone mowing their lawn or using a weed whacker... Although if someone in my street was mowing their lawn at 10pm I would be like what the heck.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:47 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My son and I run our Jato's in the neighborhood and no one usually complains.  My next door neighbor comes out to watch and smoke a cig.  Other neighbors will give me dirty looks because of the noise and smell.  I don't care.  One afternoon on the weekend the guy two doors down came out and yelled at me.  Said he had heard me the day before for 3 hours, huge exageration, more like an hour.  I just moved to the side street and ignored him.  I am not breaking any laws unless I do it during the night which I don't.  He is just a grumpy guy on oxygen.  He should come run one and I could get him a little close to the glow igniter and POOF!  just kidding.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:57 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

When i lived at my parents house a few years ago, the neighbors kid (about 10) would get his wal-mart rc out when i was out with mine. i felt bad cause he would get stuck on the smallest patch of grass, and im running thru it at 30mph. he wanted one and told his mom. his mom asked how much lol. i dont think he's getting one from her reaction.

the house i just moved out of, a few people down the street loved my buddies nitro and my flux xs. a guy from the church about 600 yards from my place thought the losi 810 was a crotch rocket so he came to check it out. he loved it. there was a house across the street tho where people always left their dogs outside whether they were home or not. the digs didnt like the flux too much. after several hours of barking every day, they were forced to move lol. but i usually keep pretty quiet. im not looking to cause trouble. just have some fun. there are some young punks here and there though that talk smack about it. rice burners. i laugh at them and say this will smoke your vtec till i top out lol

Old 03-13-2012, 08:02 AM
echthelion

my neighbors very much know i have a nitro as i very much dislike them. i tend to run my car when there having a BBQ or stuff to that extent when there all outside
Old 03-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Ttowntoolman

I live on the end of a dead end street......I rock my stuff whenever the hell I feel like it and have never had a complaint. Hell I block off the road and set up big old jumps in the road to see how many feet I can jump to the grass. Ramp was 60 feet from the end of the road last time, I just put a line of orange cones out accross the street so no one can invade my space. Had the cops down by me one time just by random chance as he was driving down my street.....he put the radar on my car for me for a couple of runs. Never had any niebors complain to me yet.........

Old 03-13-2012, 10:02 AM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

i was having  a hard time finding places to run back in the late 90's early 2000's do to noobs with nitro MT's.  they were making all kinds of noise, wrecking places up and doing damage to parks and parking lots.  so even though i had been running electric for there for years, i got da boot to.  but after 10 years those idiots have moved on to something else destructive and im able to hit up most of the old spots as long as i don't make to much noise.  so no nitro or gas.

the street in front of my house i used to run on all the time with no problems.  but i had to stop do to to many cars parked in the street and to many kids, i hate dealing with kids.  i was also starting to hear comments about noise (i was running a nitro TC a lot then) and even a few subtle hints about getting cops involved (which was a mistake, threatening me just makes the problem worse).  do to the amount of cars, traffic and kids i still can't run out there.  i can run electric off road in the backyard, but it gets boring cause it's so small of a space.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:02 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

LOL That's a funny story. I don't have a problem with nitros running in the street, it's only as loud as someone mowing their lawn or using a weed whacker... Although if someone in my street was mowing their lawn at 10pm I would be like what the heck.
my neighbor mows his at 2-3am... so honestly I can care less what ppl think of my nitros at 2pm

But my city has went above and beyond their call to stop nitros (and even 1:1 cars) running on my street seeing its caving in with 3 foot drops, and more potholes than the moon has craters.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:09 PM
ImANoob

I take my new LED lights body out at 1030 at night all the time
Old 03-13-2012, 01:23 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

My neighbors knows I am into RC. I run both Nitro and Electrics, I fire up my Nitros from the backyard and run it to the streets or the park nearby. But I dont run it near the houses that much, only in the parking lot and on the streets. Most of neighbors are senior and dont want complains from them to the HOA. They have seen me few times and they think that its a cool expensive toy. My nitros are just as loud as the landscaping equipment used in our condo community, and they are right there next to our door and windows when they do landscaping at 9am. So I know how it can be annoying.
One of them even asked if I can get them a good deal on a used one. There is this kid of my neighbor's, he would come out and watch when he hears my nitros running. I have an audience.
My mailman knows, because I order parts on line - I found out he is also into RC.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:46 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

My neighbors all know I run RC. I have never had anyissues with an of them except for when I refused to take a $20 offer for my RC10GT from one of my neighbors! I run both nitros and electric. When I run electric no one ever comes out to watch but when I start running my nitros it usually draws a crowd of spectators who have lots of questions.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:51 PM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

87 year old to the south, empty house across the street. 70 something to the east. further down the street is Gary he is in his 70s and like gun,s they are his hobby. next to him are the Harley riders
a lot of them go there and stand around passing some kinda filter less roll your own cigarette.

So yes they all know I am into planes, helicopters, trucks and rockets, and they don't care. GREAT neighborhood everyone keeps to themselves.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

i have a 5B- so i think if i did run near my house, it would be "police on the scene"
I have my Concealed Carry License and keep a pistol on me at all times when i am running. And maybe sometimes I keep it not very concealed. I don't live in a ghetto, but there is enough of those white, gangster wannabe teen/adults that I want to show that I won't stand for them stealing/touching/looking/breathing on my RCs/motorcycle/car etc...

I used to have a 5B and now have a 5SC and I HAVEhad the cops called on me for running them here. I live in a large apartment complex and hate everyone here with a passion. I have had several times where I have really pissed people off with the gas/nitro (hell even electric) RCs but I don't care even a little bit. Actually I kinda try to piss them off, because as stated before, I can't stand them.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:04 PM
BobbyMcGee

Yes, they know. I remind them almost every week when I start one of my jets in the driveway.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:40 PM
The_Shark

thats what they would call "WIN"
Old 03-13-2012, 08:44 PM
The_Shark

how to make a angry person even angrier; take off the pipe, now its almost instantly 2X louder, then run very closely to their house, while running close to their house, keep on blipping the throttle and do some doughnuts and full speed drive by's for good measure, smile and wave.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:10 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I live in a neighborhood with about 2/3 of the residents being 60+. The rest are 25-50yrs old. Only ever had one complaint from the lady next door, but she died last year. Her husband has no issues, even asks me about my engines. Some neighbors a block over have nitro and electrics and talk to me periodically about what I have.

I too had my RC stuff stolen a few years ago. The cops suck and sent rookies to investigate, the thieves never caught. But my collection is better now anyway. I keep all RC stuff in the house. My house is insured by Browning and Mauser, so anyone breaks in and they eat lead.

I keep the nitro noise limited to 9am to 9pm and its all good. Running at a local park last summer attracted a police officer who drove his unmarked Durango R/T across the soccer field to check it out. He put the radar on my SH .28 powered lst2 and I got 42mph even. It was a fun day.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:15 PM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

I live in a neighborhood with about 2/3 of the residents being 60+. The rest are 25-50yrs old. Only ever had one complaint from the lady next door, but she died last year. Her husband has no issues, even asks me about my engines. Some neighbors a block over have nitro and electrics and talk to me periodically about what I have.

I too had my RC stuff stolen a few years ago. The cops suck and sent rookies to investigate, the thieves never caught. But my collection is better now anyway. I keep all RC stuff in the house. My house is insured by Browning and Mauser, so anyone breaks in and they eat lead.

I keep the nitro noise limited to 9am to 9pm and its all good. Running at a local park last summer attracted a police officer who drove his unmarked Durango R/T across the soccer field to check it out. He put the radar on my SH .28 powered lst2 and I got 42mph even. It was a fun day.
Shortly after I moved into my first apartment I had most of my RC stuff stolen when I was at work. Luckily I had renters insurance, so they cut me a check to go buy more RC stuff and a new TV!
Old 03-14-2012, 01:17 PM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Shortly after I moved into my first apartment I had most of my RC stuff stolen when I was at work. Luckily I had renters insurance, so they cut me a check to go buy more RC stuff and a new TV!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.