Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Model Airplane News, then and now.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Model Airplane News, then and now.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 10:59 PM
NoOneFlysAtMyClub
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Model Airplane News, then and now.

Everyone................. Slow DEEP Breaths!!!!!!!!!!

Feel better???
Old 03-14-2012, 03:54 AM
hemiflyer1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't mind all the ads if they were all glow, gas, or turbine stuff, but all the electric , the foam park flyers and to a lesser extent the heli's all turn me off. But life is tough for the print world nowdays, with my local news paper shrinking to about 1/4 the size it used to be, and others just closing up the doors. At least we have our 'puters, but I won't take it to the bathroom with me, that would just be wrong.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:29 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: NoOneFlysAtMyClub

Everyone................. Slow DEEP Breaths!!!!!!!!!!

Feel better???

You are right, some comment come across like deeply ignorant and arrogant. If RC is your life: You need to get a life!

I started in this hobby 40+ years ago, and I had a lot of fun with the hobby along the way. But when I see people presenting themselves like jack A..es, I am convinced they are doing something wrong, very wrong. If this is not a fun hobby, I do not know what is (and this is one of my 3 hobbies). And if you are not having fun with your hobby, you are doing something wrong.

If the weather is nice, no way are you going to see me in the shop building something. I will be out enjoying the day, remember, each of us gets a finite number of days, what we do with them is entirely up to us.

Some, will be home growing balsa for some ribs, or a rubber plant for making tires, or carving a prop, or re-building a servo with home made bushings, and a casing made of an old radio plastic box (previously ground and molded). I have better things to do:-)

And if you have fun growing the rubber tree to make tires, by all means keep doing it!

Gerry

Old 03-14-2012, 06:53 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: hemiflyer1

I wouldn't mind all the ads if they were all glow, gas, or turbine stuff, but all the electric , the foam park flyers and to a lesser extent the heli's all turn me off. But life is tough for the print world nowdays, with my local news paper shrinking to about 1/4 the size it used to be, and others just closing up the doors. At least we have our 'puters, but I won't take it to the bathroom with me, that would just be wrong.
Bet ya take your Ipod, Ipad, Ifone, Before long every room will have several screens and you'll move from room to room just like that Cable commerical. The best thing about the old mags is the adds ... what we used to drool over and how hard it was to make $8.95 for that supper special "WhatEver" ...
Old 03-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Fleet

McCoy Red Head .35 was about $5.95 new. Kraft 6 channel reed was nearly $600 in 1963 or so.

http://www.ahc1931.com/

Ray W.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:15 AM
qldviking

sounds cheap, but then what was an average wage back then
Old 03-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: E-Gap

McCoy Red Head .35 was about $5.95 new. Kraft 6 channel reed was nearly $600 in 1963 or so.

http://www.ahc1931.com/

Ray W.
In thelate1950s I drove from Montreal to Plattsburg, N.Y. and bought ten (10) McCoy 35 for $4.95 (four dollars and ninety five cents) each. A 200 miles return trip and sold 9 of them to the fellows in the club for $8.00 each.
It more than paid for my gasoline at $0.25 for an imperial gallon.

I was making about $8,000.00 ( eight thousands ) a year as an engineer with RCA and renting a three bedroom bungalow for $45.00 a month. I was in the process of buying this bungalow for $11,000.00 when RCA transferred me to Ontario in 1964.

I bought instead the bugalow I still live in for $16,000.00 . A five year old house at the time.
My latest property evaluation is $288,000.00 and the house is 52 years old.

Ah! ___"The Good Old Times" .

Zor

Old 03-14-2012, 02:42 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: crash1ace

hehehe, all these whiners!get over yourselfs....
\

Don't have much use for spelling or punctuation huh?

jess
Old 03-14-2012, 07:46 PM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: qldviking

sounds cheap, but then what was an average wage back then
1961 Summer was making $1/HR Night watchman at the local shoe factory. $33.80 take home, the first $18.50 went for a half barrel, Delivered. Guess we were too Old for toy airplanes by then... Ya know that thing about Girls, Cars and Beer ...
Old 03-14-2012, 07:49 PM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: jessiej

ORIGINAL: crash1ace

hehehe, all these whiners!get over yourselfs....
\

Don't have much use for spelling or punctuation huh?

jess
Wher ya been pardner ... this is the 140 word world . no spell no punk-c-ation ither.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:51 PM
qldviking

dont you meban no 'edumacashun'
Old 03-14-2012, 08:00 PM
HoundDog

dont you meban no 'edumacashun'
Nows qldviking ... ya bees assurd thems fok in STATESBORO, GA, USA Nose any stuff abouts use'n the Spells checker with this heres words ritter stufs. Ya know bein'g froms south of the mason dixon an alls.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:06 PM
qldviking

wots dis hear 'spells checker' fingummi doohikkiee lol
Old 03-14-2012, 09:23 PM
HoundDog

wots dis hear 'spells checker' fingummi doohikkiee lol
I's be ser-i-os now ... Wher'ss the dumb spellr cker thing-a ma-bob thing n\anyways ther ya knows? <- See's that's the Punk-C-ation
Old 03-14-2012, 09:29 PM
HoundDog

Hey gldviking: Use by chnce lives nerby that O'l Gator hunter Guy, Crok-A-diles DunDee? he he he LOL
Old 03-15-2012, 12:52 AM
qldviking

naah, that Crok-ah-dil dundee, he dungon and moofed to da yew ess ov aye, some hick town of bell hair or sum sich toon lol
Old 03-15-2012, 06:23 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Modern education doesn't teach spelling or punctuation anyway. One of my kids misbehaved in school, and brought home a nasty note from the teacher. I felt like correcting both the spelling, and puncutation, with a RED pencil, and sending it back. Prudence being the better part of valor, I knew she would just take it out on my kid, so I bit my tongue, and stayed quiet. When my eldest son was attending junior college, his teacher told him that she didn't care about punctuation or spelling, content was the only important thing. I have no idea how one conveys meaningful information without correct puctuation , and in English, a misspelled word can have an entirely different meaning than one intends.

Les
Old 03-15-2012, 06:28 AM
qldviking

even lack or mis-use of punctuation can totally change the meaning of a sentence, try this one for instance :- lets eat, mom > Lets eat mom [X(]
Old 03-15-2012, 06:56 AM
HoundDog

even lack or mis-use of punctuation can totally change the meaning of a sentence, try this one for instance :- lets eat, mom > Lets eat mom [X(]
Three Words "Outcome Based Education"
Old 03-15-2012, 07:21 AM
Zor
Banned

Come see thenice fall fairhorse show.

What is nice?
The fall ? . . . . . . . . This nice fall come to the fair and see the horse show.
The fall fair ? . . . . . This nice fall fair come see the horse show.
The fair ? . . . . . . . . This fall come see the nice fair and the horse show.
The horse ? . . . . . . This fall fair come see the nice horse at the show.
The show ? . . . . . . . This fall fair come see thehorse.at the nice show/

Have your pic . . . .. . . . . .

Zor

Old 03-15-2012, 07:27 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

Modern education doesn't teach spelling or punctuation anyway. One of my kids misbehaved in school, and brought home a nasty note from the teacher. I felt like correcting both the spelling, and puncutation, with a RED pencil, and sending it back. Prudence being the better part of valor, I knew she would just take it out on my kid, so I bit my tongue, and stayed quiet. When my eldest son was attending junior college, his teacher told him that she didn't care about punctuation or spelling, content was the only important thing. I have no idea how one conveys meaningful information without correct puctuation , and in English, a misspelled word can have an entirely different meaning than one intends.

Les
My oldest son graduated form a quite prestigious Engineering School is Mass (WPI). I had a hard time understanding at the time how they could graduate an engineer w/o any English comp in their curriculum. Of course, they handle so many projects and communications while in school, that his punctuation and spelling is good. Now a Senior Engineer, he did very well, but at the time I was really worried.

Punctuation and spelling are terribly important in the business world (well, at least at some levels). You did the right thing with the teacher:-) I had the same case happen more than once with my kids. We are bilingual, I am a linguist, and a teacher sometimes corrected something that was right in some of my kid's homework, replacing it with a gross mistake. You just teach your son to recognize the errors, and leave the teacher alone:-)

Gerry

Old 03-15-2012, 07:32 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

Three Words ''Outcome Based Education''

Outcome Based Education? Really? Many people do not even know what it actually means. The idea was popular over a decade ago...

Gerry

Outcome-based education (OBE) is a recurring education reform model. It frames itself as a student-centered learning philosophy that focuses on empirically measuring student performance, which are called outcomes. OBE contrasts with traditional education, which primarily focuses on the resources that are available to the student, which are called inputs. While OBE implementations often incorporate a host of many progressive pedagogical models and ideas, such as reform mathematics, block scheduling, project-based learning and whole language reading, OBE in itself does not specify or require any particular style of teaching or learning. Instead, it requires that students demonstrate that they have learned the required skills and content. However in practice, OBE generally promotes curricula and assessment based on constructivist methods and discourages traditional education approaches based on direct instruction of facts and standard methods. Though it is claimed the focus is not on "inputs", OBE generally is used to justify increased funding requirements, increased graduation and testing requirements, and additional preparation, homework, and continuing education time spent by students, parents and teachers in supporting learning.

Each independent education agency specifies its own outcomes and its own methods of measuring student achievement according to those outcomes. The results of these measurements can be used for different purposes. For example, one agency may use the information to determine how well the overall education system is performing, and another may use its assessments to determine whether an individual student has learned required material.

Outcome-based methods have been adopted for large numbers of students in several countries. In the United States, the Texas Assessment of Academic Skills started in 1991. In Australia, implementation of OBE in Western Australia was widely criticised by parents and teachers[1] and was mostly dropped in January 2007.[2] In South Africa, OBE was dropped in mid 2010.[3] On a smaller scale, some OBE practices, such as not passing a student who does not know the required material, have been used by individual teachers around the world for centuries.

OBE was a popular term in the United States during the 1980s and early 1990s. It is also called mastery education, performance-based education, and other names.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 AM
jessiej

Gud thang ARFs comz wif lots uf pitcherz.

jess
Old 03-15-2012, 08:05 AM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

Three Words ''Outcome Based Education''

Outcome Based Education? Really? Many people do not even know what it actually means. The idea was popular over a decade ago...

Gerry

Outcome-based education (OBE) is a recurring education reform model. It frames itself as a student-centered learning philosophy that focuses on empirically measuring student performance, which are called outcomes. OBE contrasts with traditional education, which primarily focuses on the resources that are available to the student, which are called inputs. While OBE implementations often incorporate a host of many progressive pedagogical models and ideas, such as reform mathematics, block scheduling, project-based learning and whole language reading, OBE in itself does not specify or require any particular style of teaching or learning. Instead, it requires that students demonstrate that they have learned the required skills and content. However in practice, OBE generally promotes curricula and assessment based on constructivist methods and discourages traditional education approaches based on direct instruction of facts and standard methods. Though it is claimed the focus is not on "inputs", OBE generally is used to justify increased funding requirements, increased graduation and testing requirements, and additional preparation, homework, and continuing education time spent by students, parents and teachers in supporting learning.

Each independent education agency specifies its own outcomes and its own methods of measuring student achievement according to those outcomes. The results of these measurements can be used for different purposes. For example, one agency may use the information to determine how well the overall education system is performing, and another may use its assessments to determine whether an individual student has learned required material.

Outcome-based methods have been adopted for large numbers of students in several countries. In the United States, the Texas Assessment of Academic Skills started in 1991. In Australia, implementation of OBE in Western Australia was widely criticised by parents and teachers[1] and was mostly dropped in January 2007.[2] In South Africa, OBE was dropped in mid 2010.[3] On a smaller scale, some OBE practices, such as not passing a student who does not know the required material, have been used by individual teachers around the world for centuries.

OBE was a popular term in the United States during the 1980s and early 1990s. It is also called mastery education, performance-based education, and other names.
Look what it's gotten us ...
The 140 word TEXT MESSAGE and people that can't or don't keep score. Just happier than a "Furry Frog" that My work'n days are well behind me, and I can Fly every day and harass all these Out Come Based Educ ma cated A Hols thet never learned to "KEEP Score" but there "ESTEEM"
Never got hurt cause they couldn't ever Fail or pass. Didn't want to hurt anyones fellings. Just like "Lectric Flyers" and ARF Flyers. Oh I don't have to learn to tune an engine clean a plane or build. I don't want to have to put in any "EFFORT". Just feel Gratified with out the EFFORT. Won't matter a pinch, They won't ever know what they've missed because the have always taken the "EAZYWAYOUT"
Old 03-15-2012, 08:22 AM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: jessiej

Gud thang ARFs comz wif lots uf pitcherz.

jess
Use's Getts Pitcherz ... Hows comes I's ain'ts got nun of them thar's PITCHERZ's ... ya thinks maby's causin I's buy's Udder peopl's Used Junk. Time saved not Buiding or slappen an ARF together means More Flying time. Speekns of Flyins Times I Peed offs enough peoples here taday so's I go'n "FLYING"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.