Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

I Saw it! TF 60 Size Corsair ARF!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

I Saw it! TF 60 Size Corsair ARF!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:54 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: I Saw it! TF 60 Size Corsair ARF!!!!!

Like I said: I just recieved mine. Checked it over, and I realize there are some BIG improvements over the kits in this ARF.

PROS:

Biggest improvement: the wing scoops.
I cannot overstate how nice I think these are, and I wish I could purchase them seperately so that I could use them on kit built Corsairs (or ANY Corsair this size). The scoops are recessed as per full scale, and have fairly accurate details such as the louvers and the oil cooler. I rate these parts A+, there simply is no batter, and it would be difficult to scratch build such accurately scaled scoops.

Next up: the belly pan.
It's much lighter than the built up version from the kits, AND is adds the engine compartment hot air exhaust vent. The built up ones also tend to not be as accurately curved. This is another part I would love to use on a kit built TF Corsair.

The tailwheel cover.
This will make it SO much easy to add gear doors, and or have access to the tailwheel mounting and linkage. Another part that I would like to use on kit built Corsairs.

Airfoil Shaped Tail Feathers.
This isn't that big of a deal for me, but I know that for some it's nearly everything, and certainly more important than some of my other "PROS". The stab has curvature to it, it is not flat as in the kit. Some claim to able to spot details such as this much more easily, than say: the mis-shaped rudder and/ or wingtips (see "CONS" below).

The Fuselage is Better/ an Improvement of kit built Corsairs.
Specifically: it is rounder where it needs to be. There is no sudden transition from flat, upper section to rounded underside aft of the wing. The kit builds as an upper half, and the lower half is added later. That translates to a rounded bottom section which does not properly transition to the flat sides of the upper portion. The ARF utilizes 1 piece formers that alow for the proper Corsair look.

NEUTRAL:

Spinner.
That an aluminum spinner is included is nice. I was surprised when I discovered that it will work with my Saito .91 (I thought Saito and O.S. engines used different thread patterns?). A little heavier than the TruTurn spinners I am accustomed to using on my '60 size' Corsairs (about 50 grams for stock, 30 grams for 7/8" TruTurn), but that could be handy if the plane tends to be tail heavy. On the negative side tho: it is also a little too large to be scale representative. The TruTurns that I use are 3/4" ~ 7/8" diameter at the 'barrel', this one is 1.14" diameter all the way thru. This might be a good spinner for the Top Flite P-47 ARF tho.

The included main wheels are a mixed bag: nice size, light weight, but need to be modified to look right. The stock wheels are considerable lighter than many of the aftermarket choices of the same size, AND more narrow, BUT the included hubs bear no resemblence to any full scall Corsair wheels that I have ever seen, and the tires lack 'thread'. Full scale Corsairs have spoked hubs, NOT smooth, flat ones. A+ for size and weight, D- for looks.
Specs for Stock Wheels:
3.56 inch diameter, 0.89 inches thick. Weight: 31.9 grams each.

Generally speaking, this is ONE NICE LOOKING CORSAIR right out of the box. BUT, it does NOT have a scale accurate finsh/ scheme. The real '#29/ Ira Kepford' Corsair sported a tri-color paint scheme, with the bottm surfaces being flat white, NOT flat gray.

CONS:
However, there are a few other scale discrencies which it shares with the kits:

The Rudder is STILL Wrong.
Full scale Corsairs have a rudder which is rounder at the top, The Top Flite kist (including the giant scale) have somewhat squared off rudders, as does this ARF.

The Wingtips are a BIG Improvement, but still not exactly right.
Altho a big improvement over the kits because the head on profiles ARE better/ more scale accurate (top of wing should be straight line, underside curves up to meet topside at tips, more curvature as seen from above), they are still a little off/ and like the rudder: too squared. The Hangar 9 Corsairs by contrast actually got it right. If one could install Hangar 9 wingtips on a Top Flite Corsair: one would end up with a VERY accurate wing. Still, if I wasn't going to recover mine: they are enough of an improvement (over the kits) to leave just as they are.

The Cowling STILL lacks Details.
It is now a one piece unit, AND made from fiberglass. As such, it is lighter than the kit version. I'm not so fond of many of the OEM fiberglass cowls tho: many, including this one are TOO light/ not robust enough. Since a lot of times, builders have to add weight to the nose to get a model to balance properly: I would rather have a little more strength even if it weighs a little more. But the bottom line of this cowl: it would have been easy enough to mold in some details, such as cowl flap lines, and the (3) 'cowl attachment straps'. When I build the kit versions, I always modify the cowl ring by using a hacksaw to inscibe coal flap lines. I'm thinking it could be more difficult cutting into fiberglass. I'll just use a cowl from the kit on mine

Paint.
Lastly, it is my understanding that Top Flite/ LustreKote no longer offers replacement flat paint in the matching colors for this model. In other words, if you damage something that requires re-painting : Good Luck/ You are On Your Own!

CONCLUSION:
Overall, this is a pretty nice ARF, ceratinly a BIG improvement over the kit version. I'm glad I got it, it will make a nice addition to my fleet. From what everyone is saying: the completed weight should be around 10 lbs, and from experience with the kit versions: I know that it will fly very well at that weight.

That all said: I intend to remove covering/ finsh from mine, re-shape rudder and wingtips, apply a painted finish to mine, AND add an F4U-1/ birdcage canopy to it. Also leaning towards making the wings foldable, even if only by hand/ manually.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94274.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1739006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25516.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1739007  
Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Brad-C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

Like I said: I just recieved mine. Checked it over, and I realize there are some BIG improvements over the kits in this ARF.

PROS:

Biggest improvement: the wing scoops.
I cannot overstate how nice I think these are, and I wish I could purchase them seperately so that I could use them on kit built Corsairs (or ANY Corsair this size). The scoops are recessed as per full scale, and have fairly accurate details such as the louvers and the oil cooler. I rate these parts A+, there simply is no batter, and it would be difficult to scratch build such accurately scaled scoops.

Next up: the belly pan.
It's much lighter than the built up version from the kits, AND is adds the engine compartment hot air exhaust vent. The built up ones also tend to not be as accurately curved. This is another part I would love to use on a kit built TF Corsair.

The tailwheel cover.
This will make it SO much easy to add gear doors, and or have access to the tailwheel mounting and linkage. Another part that I would like to use on kit built Corsairs.

The Fuselage is Better/ an Improvement of kit built Corsairs.
Specifically: it is rounder where it needs to be. There is no sudden transition from flat, upper section to rounded underside aft of the wing. The kit builds as an upper half, and the lower half is added later. That translates to a rounded bottom section which does not properly transition to the flat sides of the upper portion. The ARF utilizes 1 piece formers that alow for the proper Corsair look.

NEUTRAL:

The included main wheels are a mixed bag: nice size, light weight, but need to be modified to look right. The stock wheels are considerable lighter than many of the aftermarket choices of the same size, AND more narrow, BUT the included hubs bear no resemblence to any full scall Corsair wheels that I have ever seen, and the tires lack 'thread'. Full scale Corsairs have spoked hubs, NOT smooth, flat ones. A+ for size and weight, D- for looks.
Specs for Stock Wheels:
3.56 inch diameter, 0.89 inches thick. Weight: 31.9 grams each.

Generally speaking, this is ONE NICE LOOKING CORSAIR right out of the box. BUT, it does NOT have a scale accurate finsh/ scheme. The real '#29/ Ira Kepford' Corsair sported a tri-color paint scheme, with the bottm surfaces being flat white, NOT flat gray.

CONS:
However, there are a few other scale discrencies which it shares with the kits:

The Rudder is STILL Wrong.
Full scale Corsairs have a rudder which is rounder at the top, The Top Flite kist (including the giant scale) have somewhat squared off rudders, as does this ARF.

The Wingtips are STILL Wrong.
Altho an improvement over the kits because the head on profile is better/ more scale accurate (top of wing should be straight line, underside curves up to meet topside at tips), the overhead (and underside) profile is, like the rudder: too squared. The Hangar 9 Corsairs by contrast actually got it right. If one could install Hangar 9 wingtips on a Top Flite Corsair: one would end up with a VERY accurate wing.

CONCLUSION:

That all said: I intend to remove covering/ finsh from mine, re-shape rudder and wingtips, apply a painted finish to mine, AND add an F4U-1/ birdcage canopy to it. Also leaning towards making the wings foldable, even if only by hand/ manually.
I have a spare set of the wing scoops and an extra belly pan if you're interested in them for kit builds. PM me for details if you want.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:27 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just checked my center wing and unfortunately, the flaps will not deploy. Three of the four hinges are glued in the wrong direction. I'm debating on having it replaced since I am removing them anyway to glass. This reminds me of my Tower Kaos when the ailerons were glued on the opposite wings.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:45 PM
iflircaircraft

I have futaba S3003 servos all around. Are they adequate?
I am using a 6v battery.
Tom
Old 03-16-2012, 04:30 PM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: iflircaircraft
I have futaba S3003 servos all around. Are they adequate? ..............I am using a 6v battery.
Tom
Adequate? yes. But personally, I would spend another buck (each) and get the ball bearing version: S3004
Old 03-17-2012, 07:22 AM
scottrc

Got the covering stripped off last night and ordered 1/2oz glass for it. In a way, I'm glad I am taking off the covering because they don't use any pre-covering sealant, like Balsarite, so the covering, once started, peeled off as a whole like a big banana.
Other than the flap hinges, which I have fixed, the overall construction is really good. The fuselage build up is a lot like the Royal kit hence why the more scale x-section profile.

Over the next few weeks I plan to put in the gun ports, exhaust stack, all the fun stuff.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:03 PM
iflircaircraft

Made my maiden flight Saturday 3-17. I first made a cpl laps on the ground and it had no nose over tendencies. I then lined her up and she tracked straight. I increased the throttle slowly and with about 1/4 throttle the tail lifted off and leveled out. At about 3/4 throttle and with a bit of up elevator she lifted off nicely in a gradual climb. No rudder correction was needed. Once I got it to a decent altitude it needed a cpl clicks of aileron and elevator for straight and level flight. The OS .95V with the MA 14x7 three blade pulled her around with authority.
I flew only a few circuits and left the gear down.
The first approach to land was too high and too fast so I brought her around and made a shallower approach. She came in a bit fast and bounced 3 or 4 times but she was still in one piece although one of the struts turned in so I packed her up for the day.

Over all I was pleased with how she flew. Next time up I'll test the flaps and raise the gear to see what, if any, elevator trim will be needed.

It can disappear when flying in a blue clear sky especially when coming around the third turn and it's nose is in line with your line of sight. Keeping her close would be a good idea.

Tom
Old 03-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

What Size (diameter, width) Are the (Stock) Main Wheels?

Also, Please measure the wheel wells, to determine what is the largest diameter wheels that could work with them.

For the record: full scale Corsairs have wheels that are 32'' diameter. Since these are 1/8 scale, the correct scale size would be 4'' I know from experience that fitting 4'' wheels into a '60 size' Top Flite Corsair is quite a challenge. But the recommended size is 3 1/4'', which flat out appear to be way too small. I have found that 3 1/2'' wheels offer a good compromise of scale looks and functionality.
I just ordered a pair of these 4" wheels from Hobby King. They look like they could be substantially thinner than the Robart wheels. For $13 shipped they are worth the risk!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2pcs_Set_.html
Old 03-21-2012, 03:13 AM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: iflircaircraft

Made my maiden flight Saturday 3-17. ..................I flew only a few circuits and left the gear down.
The first approach to land was too high and too fast so I brought her around and made a shallower approach. She came in a bit fast and bounced 3 or 4 times but she was still in one piece although one of the struts turned in so I packed her up for the day. .......................Over all I was pleased with how she flew. Next time up I'll test the flaps and raise the gear to see what, if any, elevator trim will be needed............Tom
CONGRADULATIONS on Successful Maiden Flight!
Don't be afraid to use the flaps: they DO make it easir to land (unless you are 'dead stick'). And, maybe you should do a little landing practices with another plane (preferably a tail dragger, and about the size of the Corsair), and practice landings like full scales do: fly to a position just above the runway, cut reduce throttle and try to hold it just above the runway by increasing up elevator, let it bleed off speed, and allow it to settle onto runway.

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich
..........I just ordered a pair of these 4'' wheels from Hobby King. They look like they could be substantially thinner than the Robart wheels. For $13 shipped they are worth the risk!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2pcs_Set_.html
Adversized as 26 mm thick, that's just a small fraction over 1": NICE! I'd still rather find some Top Flite 4" ones tho: not as good looking but less than 1/2 the weight.

AS FOR MINE: STILL WAITING for reply from Tower. I'm thinking they probably have a smaller staff than they did in 2008, working fewer hours, so I'll give them another day or 2.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:37 AM
Brad-C

It took them almost two weeks to get back to me and then another week+ to get the replacements sent out when I had my wing and belly pan problems. Had to be pretty patient but they took care of it.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:43 PM
iflircaircraft

Thanks for the congrats CJ.
As for me practicing with another tail dragger about the size of the corsair I'm SOL. I have a Great planes SP extra 46 size ARF with a saito 72, an Aeroworks Edge ARF with a 90 OS 4 banger, a Midwest Super Stearman (kit built) with a OS 91 4S and my Top flite Cessna 182 Skylane (kit built) with a 91 SP RCV and last but not least my Great planes Super Skybolt (kit built) with the OS 1.08 2S.
The first flight was just to get a feel for this bird. For the first flight of any new plane I just do 3-4 circuits on the ground and 3-4 or so circuits in the air. Then I go over everything on the plane such as screws,clevises,servos,engine mount,etc
Future flights I'll pull up the wheels, do some slow but high passes with mid and full flaps, big loops and rolls to get a feel for how she performs, her stall characteristics, etc.

Tom
Old 03-24-2012, 04:27 AM
wheels down

????????????////
I have a magnum 90 4stroke mounted side ways (horizontal)
does not look to have any down thrust on engine just side thrust
has any body had this problem or noticed this
Looks like there is up a couple degrees
should there be 3 degrees down? or is this normal for this arf
any help would be great
Old 03-24-2012, 05:00 AM
iflircaircraft

I mounted my 4 stroke horizontal as well and did not add any up or side thrust. It took only a slight (3 clicks down and 2 clicks rt aileron) trim for level flight. CG at 4 1/8".

Tom

Name:	Lj22876.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	1741986  
Old 03-24-2012, 06:36 AM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: wheels down
????????????////
I have a magnum 90 4stroke mounted side ways (horizontal)
does not look to have any down thrust on engine just side thrust
has any body had this problem or noticed this
Looks like there is up a couple degrees
should there be 3 degrees down? or is this normal for this arf
any help would be great
This is typical setup for Top Flite kits AND ARFs. The right thrust is enough to give it very managable flight characteristics, especially during takeoffs and anytime power is applied at slower airspeeds. Also typical is total lack of downthrust. Personally, I like to remove a little of that right thrust and ADD a little downthrust. I like to use the 2 deg offset plates, mounted at 45 deg angle so it is simultaneously removing some right thrust will adding a slight amount of down thrust. Adding downthrust reduces the tendency for and aircraft to climb during power, and dive when power is off. In other words, the aircraft will maintaing more cosistant pitch under varying power levels, and thus reduce the need for trim changes when landing. This is good for aircraft that are primarily flown upright (not inverted, as in sports/ aerobatic aircraft).

Link to offset plates:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXE953&P=SM

Full scale Corsairs do not have any engine offset. HOWEVER, the wings and stab both have a few deg of positive incidence (which would be about the same as having engine downthrust), AND the fin has an offset (2 deg?) to help counter the torque effects at slow speeds.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Chad Veich

...does not look to have any down thrust on engine just side thrust
Are you measuring against the fuselage datum or against the wing? As noted by Corsair Jock the motor may be set at zero to the fuselage but if the wing and tail are set with some positive incidence then you have downthrust. This is a common set up on WW2 fighter types.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:42 PM
CorsairJock

Recieved my replacement wing center section: looks A-OK (flaps work correctly).
I am also working on a Top Flite P040 ARF, and that project is #1 on my list, and should be flying by the end of April.

I did take the time away from it to remove the covering of the (new) wing center sedction, AND the out wings. I must say: I'm impressed!
For starters, the way the center sectioned is sheeted differs from the kit: the sheeting goes spanwise (instead of 45 deg angle). They must pre-form it somehow, to accomodate the gull bends. I can see where they 'cut' several "V"s about 2" long from where the outer wings attach, and fill them in with fillets. I'll try to take pictures tomorrow to show what I mean.

Wingtips: BIG Improvement over kit versions:
Also, the wing-tip shaping is better looking/ more scale accurate than I originally thought (or maybe they modified it some from it's original design, after reading some of my posts here?). From the original pictures, it appeared to have the same, squared off look of the kits, but now I see that they ARE more curved. Still not exactly right on, but a considerable improvement from the kit version, and unless one intends to remove the covering to re-finish it as I am doing: they are worth leaving just as they are.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:13 PM
wheels down

I haven't measure it yet just notice when I got done and hung it on the wall with the rest of the planes
I just notice that the spinner hub was at an upward angle and to the right
Have many planes hanging on the wall from 1/4 scale gp 300 1.60 and 1.20 .60 40 size 1.60 - .46 engines and hanger 9 p-51 150 32 cc gas
all look to have down thrust and right thrust
I check on it sunday
I will post a couple of pictures
thanks john
Old 03-25-2012, 12:07 PM
wheels down

Here is couple of pic of the fire wall
level top of fuse
add 3/32 washer behind the top to bolts just to get the motor mount level
the fire wall as you can see in the pic is angled upward and to the right
I pretty sure it was assembled wrong
What are your thoughts???
could some look to see if there fire wall is angled upward when the fuse is level
This is one of the first arf kits when they first came out
bought from tower hobby late nov/early dec

Name:	Yw67903.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1742701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11729.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1742702  
Old 03-25-2012, 12:57 PM
iflircaircraft

An incidence meter mounted to the engine's thrust washer with the fuse's center line level would give you a more accurate measurement of either down or up thrust. My $.02

Tom
Old 03-25-2012, 01:12 PM
CorsairJock

..................Have many planes hanging on the wall from 1/4 scale gp 300 1.60 and 1.20 .60 40 size 1.60 - .46 engines and hanger 9 p-51 150 32 cc gas
all look to have down thrust and right thrust........
thanks john
As I stated earlier: right thrust is normal for Top Flite warbirds, downthrust is not normal on Top Flite warbirds (e.i. 0 deg downthrust is normal on Top Flite warbirds)

On the other hand: it should NOT have an up-thrust either.

Suggest you go back and read my post, because I am NOT going to repeat everything.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Chad Veich

Here is couple of pic of the fire wall
level top of fuse
add 3/32 washer behind the top to bolts just to get the motor mount level
the fire wall as you can see in the pic is angled upward and to the right
I pretty sure it was assembled wrong
What are your thoughts???
could some look to see if there fire wall is angled upward when the fuse is level
This is one of the first arf kits when they first came out
bought from tower hobby late nov/early dec
The top of the fuselage forward of the canopy is not a good reference line as it is not parallel to the fuselage center line/datum line but rather slopes down. When you rotate the fuselage in such a manner to make the top of the fuselage level then you will naturally end up with the firewall angled up. The only thing that matters in regards to how the plane flies is what the relationship is between the engine thrust line and the wing/tail incidence anyway. Top Flite is not above making an error but, generally speaking, they turn out a good product and in my opinion what you are seeing is an optical illusion. If you are convinced there is a problem then, in my opinion, the best course of action would be to put an incidence meter on the wing and then compare that to the thrust line of the engine. Good luck with it and be sure to let us know what you find just in case there is an issue that others need to be aware of.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:32 PM
wheels down

Thanks guys
Agreed Top flite is one the best out there
I dont have a incidence meter at this time but I have to get one
I think I'll try to fly it and see how it acts and adjust as needed
I will let you know how things work out
Thanks again for all the help
john
Old 03-25-2012, 02:48 PM
CorsairJock

.............The top of the fuselage forward of the canopy is not a good reference line as it is not parallel to the fuselage center line/datum line but rather slopes down..............
Agreed.
.............Top Flite is not above making an error but, generally speaking, they turn out a good product................
Good product: yes, but at least in the case of their Corsairs: they are not excatly scale accurate. Like I stated in an earlier post: the Top Flite Corsair (and some of their other warbirds as well) has 0 deg eng thrust (up/ down), 0 deg incidence on wings, 0 deg incidence on stab. Full scale Corsairs have the 0 deg downthrust, BUT have 2 deg pos wing incidence at the root, 1 1/4 deg pos. incidence on the stab.
There are other deviations as well, but none of the others affect flight performance.

I think I understand why Top Flite chose '0-0-0': back in the seventies, when the original Top Flite Corsair ('red box') was designed: 'pattern' planes were king. After you learned how to fly proficiently, you likely graduated to a pattern planes. Pattern planes were designed to be fast and able to perform precise manuevers. That said, they were streamlined (many times having retracts), sported powerful 2 stroke engines, and had '0-0-0'. The reason for the '0-0-0': iy meant that the plane could fly inverted as easily as it could upright, AND could perform VERY axial rolls. That all said (my theory anyway), Top Flite designed "Sport Warbirds" (yes, that is what they called them), so that pilot could fly them simular to the pattern planes of the day. The Gold Edition kits, while drastically different in costruction, maintained the '0-0-0' plan (I have a set of plans for G.E. Corsair, and they clearly show the '0-0-0').
It appears that the ARFs, while a great improvement in scale accuracy over the kits (I won't even bother with the kits anymore, the ARFS are such an improvement), stiall appear to have the '0-0-0' plan (not to be confused with a recent presidential candidate's tax plan).

Back in the 70s (from what I remember anyway), there was another company: Royal (AKA Marutaka), which produced highly accurate, very detailed Corsair kits (and many other warbirds as well), definately more scale accurate than the Top Flite kits. On the other hand (and I got in trouble for saying this a long, long time ago): the Royal kits built heavier, mainly because they utilized more ply and hardwoods than the simular size Top Flite kits, resulting in more weight.

BTW, I also have very detailed 1/8 size full scale plans, which clearly indicate 0 deg downthrust, 2 deg pos wing incidence, and 1 1/4 deg pos stab incidence. Anyone familiar with the long running 'Top Flite Corsair Mods' thread will know that some builders of the kits are modifying them to have scale incidences (which will also probably make them easier to fly).
Old 03-27-2012, 10:07 AM
scottrc

Recieved my replacement wing center section: looks A-OK (flaps work correctly).
I am also working on a Top Flite P040 ARF, and that project is #1 on my list, and should be flying by the end of April.

I did take the time away from it to remove the covering of the (new) wing center sedction, AND the out wings. I must say: I'm impressed!
For starters, the way the center sectioned is sheeted differs from the kit: the sheeting goes spanwise (instead of 45 deg angle). They must pre-form it somehow, to accomodate the gull bends. I can see where they 'cut' several ''V''s about 2'' long from where the outer wings attach, and fill them in with fillets. I'll try to take pictures tomorrow to show what I mean.

Wingtips: BIG Improvement over kit versions:
Also, the wing-tip shaping is better looking/ more scale accurate than I originally thought (or maybe they modified it some from it's original design, after reading some of my posts here?). From the original pictures, it appeared to have the same, squared off look of the kits, but now I see that they ARE more curved. Still not exactly right on, but a considerable improvement from the kit version, and unless one intends to remove the covering to re-finish it as I am doing: they are worth leaving just as they are.
I have all the covering removed on mine and would agree that the sheeting is really well done.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:40 AM
CorsairJock

Thanks for the reminder, here is left top center section with covering removed. This it better, smoother than any kit built one that I have seen. Notice the 3 elongated triangle balsa pieces that are fitted into the sheeting.

The whitish stuff where the root area meets the gull is some sort of filler which was there when I uncovered it/ factory installed and sanded.

Also note: this is the center section which had the immovable flap. I was successful in dislodging it, but it was very difficult, even with the aid of a heat gun. I will install again with Robart hinge points oriented correctly, and I don't think I'll attempt to remove any of the other flaps.

Name:	Sq46432.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1743508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52239.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1743509  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.