Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

sealing gaps

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 03:55 PM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sealing gaps

Whats the best way to seal control surface gaps i.e. ailerons,rudder etc., Ive heard there was a plastic tape or something you can use,,,,if so where do I get it?

ThanksTAZZZZ
Old 03-15-2012, 04:00 PM
1320Fastback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: sealing gaps

It's called BlenDerm Medical Tape.

It is probably going to be a online buy but might be available in pharmacies.

If your plane is covered though then covering of the same color or clear covering is best.

Either way seal the gaps. It make a huge difference in the performance of the plane.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:08 PM
SeamusG

Best? What's the current covering? Is it a simple color on both fixed and moveable surfaces? Is it complex with many trim pieces thru the gap? Is it electric, gas or glow? So many questions. Enquiring minds need to know.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:20 PM
tazzzz

Its an ARF with glow,,and orocover
Old 03-15-2012, 05:22 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1320Fastback

Either way seal the gaps. It make a huge difference in the performance of the plane.

I would love to see some hard evidence of this! I've had many speed planes, and anything under 120mph sealing the gaps did nothing but take time! Really, i never noticed more than 1 or 2 mph between speeds of 120-150mph. Once the speeds started reaching 160+ it made a difference...

The BEST way I have ever made a noticeable difference, was Ensuring a TIGHT hinge gap between the control surface and the wing/tail. That makes more of a difference than sealing the gaps.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:29 PM
bradharvy

Dubro hinge tape. I used it to stop the "whistling" noise in my stick. Clear so you don't even see it. Unless you know it's there! It helped my "whistling" noise..
Old 03-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

You can use clear covering, but tough to keep anything permanently sticking if you've already slimed the plane.

I can't say much about the performance gain - I have yet to fly a plane w/o hinges sealed and then with them sealed, however I did just seal the gaps on my contest plane so I should know by this weekend

Aerodynamically speaking, it's easy to see how the plane would fly/respond better with the gaps sealed. It should be more consistent, with more control surface authority due to less high pressure spillage through the gap. Similar to the 'winglets' you see on the tips of commercial airplanes - they're all doing it now, 'cause the spillage of the high pressure air under the wing around the wing tip decreases lift/efficiency.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:53 PM
Rubbernecker
My Feedback: (22)

ORIGINAL: invertmast

ORIGINAL: 1320Fastback

I would love to see some hard evidence of this! I've had many speed planes, and anything under 120mph sealing the gaps did nothing but take time! Really, i never noticed more than 1 or 2 mph between speeds of 120-150mph. Once the speeds started reaching 160+ it made a difference...

The BEST way I have ever made a noticeable difference, was Ensuring a TIGHT hinge gap between the control surface and the wing/tail. That makes more of a difference than sealing the gaps.
Gotta agree with you on this one. Been flying 38 years and have NEVER sealed a hinge gap. I make them nice and snug when I build it. Most probably couldn't tell the difference between one sealed and one that was tightly fit. Also have a racer in the 100+ range and never noticed any issues with it. To each their own.

John
Old 03-15-2012, 08:24 PM
1320Fastback

Sorry I did mean aerodynamic performance like nice straight loops and consistent repeatable pattern maneuvers.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Oly

Sealing the hinge gaps does make a difference you can feel. If it didn't, why not make the hinge gap as wide as you want, instead of trying to make it as small as possible? A small hinge gap that is sealed will not only improve performance, but helps prevent flutter (notice I said helps). I use the covering I covered the plane with. I've even used multiple overlapping strips to blend with the different colored trim schemes. This is purely aesthetic, as I don't like the "bubbles" that clear tapes produce.

I highly recommend sealing hinge gaps.

Oly
Old 03-15-2012, 09:55 PM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

I say why hing anything!?. Use hardwood dowels and blend the control surface to the wing or stabilizer.. problem solved!.. ALTHOUGH, I don't think it will fly too well.. HEY JIM, how ya doing!?

Old 03-16-2012, 12:56 AM
epr3

when I was racing , we use a clear tape from 3M that was clear and very flexible. Sealing the gaps ( even if they are tight) make a big difference !