Vess Balance Ring, Anygood?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:55 AM
ericrcpilot
My Feedback: (145)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vess Balance Ring, Anygood?

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

I'll stay with the same anwer I've had from the beginning. If you feel you gotta have it, buy it. If you already know how to balance and don't have the need for a new widget, don't buy it.

I cannot understand why so many seem to believe this ring is a ''must have'' item in order to accurately balance a prop. Perhaps I am blowing my own horn, annoying as that may be, but I'm not filling anyone full of chit. The way I figure it, I must know something. I get paid a lot of money to run around the world taking care of engines. And that just the specialty side. BTW, all those props are mass balanced the old fashioned way, at the first point of assembly. Wonder why?

Wanna see my passport a1pc? I'm kind of curious now about your pc qualifications.

I don't know who said it is a must have item. It is a nice way to do the job.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:32 AM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no use for the VBR. Properly balanced props, prop hardware, and spinners can be mixed and matched, loaned/borrowed or moved around from one engine/airframe to another without even thinking about it.

With the VBR you have to keep spare VBRs and spinners all set up and indexed to your spare props for each plane you take to the field. So it's not just one VBR for your engine/plane, it's one for the plane and an extra spinner and VBR for each spare prop you need to take or your forced to balance it at the field. For those in competitions that may not always be possible, to have spares ready for service at a moments notice definitely raises the cost well beyond the value of the time it takes to balance propellers IMO.

Not that I ever need to use a spare prop you see, but I always have one handy.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:15 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: ericrcpilot
I don't know who said it is a must have item. It is a nice way to do the job.
No one has said such, not yet. That's a fabrication.
No one has even said it's the only way, nor the best way. But it has been said it's another way to do the job.

Looking this thread over, you'll not find those in favor of the VBR saying the old way is wrong or bad.
Yet most against the VBR are those who have not used it, wrongly assume it to be a bad thing, and
attack the very idea as some evil thing. THAT is very sad![&o]

If you choose the old way, then stick with that.
If you want to try a VBR, do so.
If you want to combine both, do so.

It's ALL about personal choice. Just do NOT let any one person attempt to dictate what you can or should use.

If ya get tired of someone shining you on, just hit the "BLOCK" button and then all you'll see from their posts is;
"This user is on your "block" list and the message has been blocked. "[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-23-2011, 02:50 PM
jedijody

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

....Yet most against the VBR are those who have not used it, wrongly assume it to be a bad thing, and
attack the very idea as some evil thing. THAT is very sad![&o].....

Quite the exaggeration from my viewpoint.

An intelligent, experienced person does not need to buy and use a VBRto understandwhat it is, how itfunctions, or what value it may have for them, it's a very simple device.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:51 PM
a1pcfixer

Not everyone has your recognized level of expertise. Some of us would be doing good to remember half of what you forget![8D]

It would be far more enlightening to see the detractors here, go one on one with Robert Vess.[sm=punching.gif]
But we already know that's not happening. The excuses should prove amusing.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look, if this thing was the pinnacle of prop balancing every UAV using a glorified version of an RC engine would have one. Vess would not be able to keep up with the demand. I mean, really, multiple engines, complete units, are sent out with every new UAV, so there would be a whole lot of production going on. Just try to run out an buy 50 or 100 of certain sized RC engines to gain some concept of the UAV purchasing volumes. You won't be able to do it. The same would happen with the Vess ring. The UAV market would tiew up 100% of the manufacturing capability. The RC market would be getting only the left overs.

It's a fine product for people that are lacking the experience and expertise needed to do it the way it's always been done, but it's just not a product that is necessary for everyone. I rate it right up there with power distribution systems. I own 1, and only 1, but that's only because I have a plane that requires 15 servos. The condition could be handled differently but the PDS just simplifies the process. Same applies to the balance ring. It works for those that have the need or the desire, but it is not necessary for everyone. As time goes on and more and more skills are lost to experience attrition it will gain in popularity.

As for going head to head with Vess, for crisakes why bother? The man's in business to make money and if he's doing that with props and balance rings more power to him. There's absolutely no reason for him or anyone else that knows their chit to be humble or defensive.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:19 PM
raptureboy

ORIGINAL: plowboy1966

Just because I don't choose to scratch build my own planes doesn't not make me incapable, nor does it diminish my admiration for the craftmanship involved. To suggest otherwise is insulting and almost certainly hypocritical. Since hand carving propellers is the way it used to be done, and requires immense skill and experience, then we should never, ever, buy a prop from a manufacturer? Is that the just of the argument? Maybe I should get rid of my ARFs and build myself a nice 25# warbird and power it with an OS .91 and attempt to fly around in circles, that is, if I ever get the time to fly the damn thing with all the building and hand carving props that is!

Amen Brother. T O M it seems that every time I come across one of these threads about something new or innovative you are in them, criticizing and putting down either the poster or the product or anybody who doesn't do it the "old way" or your insulting all of us as being ignorant or lazy because we don't have the time or natural talent that you seem to have been blessed so much with, . Really? I'm a master carpenter and a cabinet maker but I don't insult people or think they are ignorant and lazy because they went and bought some particle board furniture, instead of a shop full of tools and built it themselves. While I would agree there are a whole lot of gimmicks out there in this hobby and others, some things are worth having because they just make it easier,and there's nothing wrong with that. I have not used the VBR so I won't comment on whether or not it's a gimmic or a valid solution to a sometimes very frustrating issue, for some of us anyway. There is a line between never minimizing and never glossing it over and just being rude. I think I'll go play with my arf now, right after I finish building my own micro chips for my next computer
Old 02-24-2011, 03:28 AM
Tired Old Man

Lol.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:18 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

As for going head to head with Vess, for crisakes why bother? The man's in business to make money and if he's doing that with props and balance rings more power to him. There's absolutely no reason for him or anyone else that knows their chit to be humble or defensive.
Actually, I take offense to that. Robert Vess is one of the nicest guys that is in RC. He doesn't need the money, and I don't think he's trying to make boatloads of money from his RC stuff. He does work for NASCAR, Cirrus, and several other aircraft companies. He's done work for the military, and these are just some of the things he's talked about... I'm sure he can make the ends meet and is not trying to do more than providing a great solution for a balancing problem.

The props started out as a personal project for I think his plane...there was local demand, and he had them manufactured... I believe the originals were cut in a cabinet shop.. I think there's one or two of those still flying... I could be wrong here, but I believe the VBR's were just an idea he had, and in testing, worked really well...

Go ahead and flame the product, even though you haven't used one, and feel you are better than that. But please don't make more baseless assumptions about one of the nicest guys in RC.

I've balanced props both ways, and I prefer the VBR.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:29 PM
TheRickster
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either way you still have to balance props.. Let's get someone to design a Canfield Balancer like Bergen used on gas heli's.. Then we could all fly "Balance Free" and live in Harmony with one another once again..

Rick
Old 02-24-2011, 06:04 PM
Tired Old Man

I haven't flamed the product. If you want to be accurate I've been berating people that have never learned how to balance a prop. Those that do and elect to use a Vess ring do so out of personal choice, not desparation generated from ignorance. Those that have to rely on a balance ring still have some learning to do and are simply looking for a crutch to carry them instead of learning how to do something.

Sheesh, brand/product loyalty provided to something that most in here talking about haven't even tried.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:43 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe Vess could add another product.A nice looking aluminum spinner that had the places to add the weight where needed. Like all one piece....except for the cone part. Capt,n
Old 02-25-2011, 07:40 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I used the Vess balancer on one of my planes. Why? because i like to try new things and then I'm able to advise others about them. Before the balance ring I spent over a hour balancing my prop (Vess) and spinner (Trueturn). When I rebanced the prop and spinner with the Vess ring I only needed two set screws. This told me I did it right the first time, but then again I used quility props and spinners to start with. The one thing I really liked with the balancer was larger and the crush affect on the prop was less.
The down side is when you remove the prop you must mark it so it goes back on the same way.
This produst is great for thos that don't know how to balance and have no one to teach them.
The time spent is about the same both ways. Dennis
Old 02-25-2011, 08:58 AM
a1pcfixer

Shoot, it's good both ways, just a matter of personal choice.

Some of the guys in competition are re-balancing with the VBR is 5 minutes or less!
You don't HAVE to to have a VBR for each, but that too is an option.

As to marking them......it also helps to mark the screw postions before applying Locktite
to each set screw. You've used it, you'll understand why I said that.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:19 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

Shoot, it's good both ways, just a matter of personal choice.

Some of the guys in competition are re-balancing with the VBR is 5 minutes or less!
You don't HAVE to to have a VBR for each, but that too is an option.

As to marking them......it also helps to mark the screw postions before applying Locktite
to each set screw. You've used it, you'll understand why I said that.
Did you use blue locktite? Heat will help get them loose. Is that close???
Old 02-25-2011, 12:16 PM
a1pcfixer

Yes, and no respectively.[8D]

My use of the word "it" refers to the VBR and the positions of each set screw.
Think 'remembering'.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Nothrottle

Checked Horizon, out of stock! Are they that much in demand or have they went outta business?
Old 03-17-2012, 12:48 PM
mando

Very much alive......

http://www.vesspropellers.com/servlet/StoreFront