Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Radio Choice?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Radio Choice?

Old 03-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Traxxas_Man_KY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Choice?

Hi guys.....I'm gonna try planes again, enjoying the cars at the moment. I was wondering, for sport flying, and simple 3D planes, nitro.........What Radio would be best? I'm sure this is a Ford vs. Chevy question, but, thought I would ask. I have the Specktrum DX5 that came with a old Alpha trainer. My LHS can get me a DX8 with 2 receivers for 350.00 ..... I don't mind spending more if it's justified.

Thanks!

Steve
Old 03-18-2012, 07:07 PM
corch
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Radio Choice?

Yes it is a Ford vs.Chevy question!  LOL

Get as many channels as you can afford.  If I had to choose between your choices, I'd go with the 8 channel.

Also, see what other people at your field are using, because no matter what brand, the manuals leave a little something to be desired.  They'll be able to help you with set ups and little "tricks" they have learned.

Personally I have a 7 channel Futaba, but I know many people with Specktrum and Airtronics radios that have no real negatives about them either.  I got a Futaba because almost all of the other people I fly with use Futaba.

I would also suggest seeing if you can get a couple in your hand.....flying is difficult enough.  Don't compound it by getting a radio where you can't reach the switches, etc. without looking.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have three Futabas: a six, an eight/(14) and a nine channel. Sold my four channel that was ancient (late70's). I chose Futaba not because it was necessarily better, but all the best pilots in our club were flying Futaba and when I got back into R/C that was the buddy-box solution. Historically, Futaba is robust and capable.

Have never seen the need or desireability of changing.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Deandome

I'm not exactly an expert, but so far I'm liking the capabilities of my new [link=http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/aircraft-radios-receivers-and-accesories/aircraft/eclipse-7-pro.html]Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro[/link]. It's a lot different than the old Eclipse, more like the very well-received Aurora 9 (full telemetry available, a few of those settings are doable with the standard Rx w/out the telemetry module). I like that the LCD display is mounted at the top of the Tx...you can see it a lot better. Comes w/ NiMh (or is it NiCad...doesn't matter for this usage) Tx battery, too, which is an extra for many/most 7 ch radios.

AND, Hitec has a [link=http://www.hitecrcd.com/offers/fro2012.html]awesome deal right now[/link]. When you buy any current 2.4m computer radio...whatever setup (one Rx, two, one w/four servos, etc.)...you get another Rx for free, and you can buy yet a third Rx for 1/2 price, and/or the Rx/Tx programming module for 1/2 price.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:50 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It truly is a Ford vs. Chevy conversation when comparing the big 4 companies- JR/Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, and Airtronics. For what it's worth, Hitec and Airtronics give you the most features for the money generally, with Hitec having the edge when they have a promotion on. For what you're planning to do, simple sport planes and .40-.60 size 3d planes won't use more than 6 channels unless you decide to buy an Ultra Stick and want to do fancy stuff with the flaps. To make flying easier with those models, you'll want exponential on your flight surfaces and you'll likely use dual rates on your 3d machines. Having the basic computer features of end point adjustments and such makes setup a lot easier and lets you customize your throws just like you want to. Generally, the higher you go up in channel count the more programming features you get, but with basic planes like you are describing basic computer radios will get the job done. For a recommendation, the aforementioned Spektrum will work well, as will the Futaba 6 channel, the Airtronics RDS8000, the Hitec Eclipse 7 or Aurora 9 if you can afford it, or go up to a JR 9 channel. In particular, JR just upgraded their 9303 radio to the 9503 just to add a few non-essential features, so a good number of used 9303's are on the market at good prices. To make the decision easier, ask your intended instructor what buddy boxes your club has and get a radio compatible with them.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:02 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Everything everyone else has already said. I have always told my students to buy the best they could afford, the radio is the one thing that will be with you for decades. A good radio will expand with you as your planes get bigger and require a bit more set up. Brand choice is up to you. When I was looking to upgrade from my old Futaba 9-C I decided on the Hitec A-9. I have used the radio and set up a plane with one and really like it. I ended up just buying a Hitec Module for my old Futaba 9-C and converted it to 2.4. This way as I buy new RXs I'm still able to fly my planes on 72. That and I really like my old Futaba a lot. The one thing about Futaba and Hitec is the lack of RX choice. If you like tose little bind and fly planes then your out of luck again. Hitec has the 6, 7 and 9 RX and most of the RXs I used in 72 were 8s because I liked the way my twin elevator servos defalted to Ch. 8 in my radio. I just picked up the Hitec 9 RX and I'm happy with it. Found some good prices on the Hitec RXs too. That made me a happy boy!!! Look around and choose the one that fits your needs today and tomorrow. There are some very good choices out there today and all are pretty good.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:20 AM
levram1

Can I use Hitec RX with a Specktrum TX
Old 03-19-2012, 11:04 AM
opjose

Nope...

You must match manufacturers...

So if you use a Spectrum ( or JR since they are the same thing electronically ) TX you'll need a Spektrum or JR receiver.

There are cheaper "clone" RX's available for JR/Spektrums that will also work.

Likewise there are clone RX's availabe for Futaba as well, though I have not played with those.

My experience with the JR/Spectrum clones has been mixed.

Some work wonderfully without a glitch or problem... other from the same manufacturer have major problems.
E.g. I'll never use a 6 channel "orange" RX again, but the 4 channel has been reliable as anything else. The 7 and 9 channel have tested fairly well thus far.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Jackercsweden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuQ5H...gX_oRgAOwMd50=
Old 04-01-2012, 03:30 AM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the DX8, and really like it.

Telemetry, inexpensive orange rx's, and the bunch of bind and fly planes compatible with Specktrum drew me to it. The Aura 9 was the other one on my short list. I've had good results with orange rx, though I only use them in foamy ep's.