Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Hobao pirate ep brushless conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 06:00 AM
domizgood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobao pirate ep brushless conversion

Hi guys I have recently been give a nitro pirate ep. I thought of selling but this thing is so old I don't think it's worth the effort for the amount of £ I'll get back for it. So I thought I might try and convert it to brushless. I've got a savage flux already so have an ok understanding of the electic side of rc. Can anyone give me some tips on what to do? Cheers Dom.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:56 AM
rccrazer

Default RE: Hobao pirate ep brushless conversion

i know there was a handfull of electric conversions made. i do enoy nitro, owning 3 of the whinny lil demons, but i have 10 other electric vehciles. so i know how your feeling. look up "ofna pirate brushless converion" on google. and i'm sure the one i remember will be able for purchse somewhere.

(hoabo, ofna, and hong nor all come out of he same factory just sold in differnt countries under different names)
Old 03-23-2012, 08:14 AM
domizgood

Good info! Cheers matie
Old 03-23-2012, 09:06 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rccrazer

i know there was a handfull of electric conversions made. i do enoy nitro, owning 3 of the whinny lil demons, but i have 10 other electric vehciles. so i know how your feeling. look up ''ofna pirate brushless converion'' on google. and i'm sure the one i remember will be able for purchse somewhere.

(hoabo, ofna, and hong nor all come out of he same factory just sold in differnt countries under different names)
while that might be true(I looked and couldn't find info not sure where you came up with it) about coming out of the same factory that does not mean they are the same RC's or made with the same materials

OK Ofna just rebages the 2 cause they are the US distributor, and have contracts with them. My jammin instructions I still remember it having it say hongnor in the manual though somewhere. Its kinda like how redcat, exceed, and himoto are the US distributors of HSP

Hongnor, and hoabo are 2 different companies though with different RC's, and even if they are in the same plant I'm sure they have 2 different lines with different designs. Otherwise if that wasn't the case ofna's replacement parts would be more universal like how a quite a few of the hongnors share parts together, and can be cross swapped. Last time I went to my LHS looking for ofna parts for my one jammin I picked up some hyper 7 parts cause they looked similar(was just gonna use them if I couldn't find the actual part) when I found the jammins parts I held them up and they were a bit different, and non-interchangeable while I'm sure there are some that are (hell 1/8th buggies, and truggies look virtually the same no matter what manufacturer)
Old 03-23-2012, 09:35 AM
domizgood

How about this?
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ansmann-...products/34457

Would this fit?
Do any parts from the hyper range fit the pirate 10?
Old 03-23-2012, 12:11 PM
rccrazer

the hyper buggies were 1/8 and the old pirate (still loved that huge engine it had, the biggest ever put in a car that size), was 1/10it dis share many parts, however the mount is for the 1/8 scale sized motors, so if you can ghet a 1/8 motor to fit in the chasis ( 1/10 motors are 3650 for the standard 540 size can, messured in 36mm in diameter and 50 in length. hence 3650) your going to be golden with wheelies.

i had been a "you get what you pay for" person, atone time,i dumped 700 dollars in toupgrading an already electric set up from brushed to bl. now i can spend 90 and be lipo ready on my 1/10 setups. i can pay just about 140 and be set up to race witha 1/8 scale platform

let me see what i can find,sadly the school computors don't like posting links here, so i willtry to help as best i can.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:49 PM
domizgood

Thanks mate all help is apretiated
Old 03-25-2012, 07:59 PM
rccrazer

i found one on rcmonster.com, and ater some research it looks like a 1/8 bl system will fit!

tacon 2250 kv motor and the hobbywing 80a speedo would be a great combo.

it's designed for the hyper 7 buggy, but it looks like it is going to be flawless.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:19 AM
domizgood

Nice 1 mate thanks for the help! I was thinking about putting a mamba max pro esc and a castle motor. I know that may be over kill but I like the idea that if I wreck the buggie I still have very good electrics left over