Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Need a Lipo balancer

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 04:06 PM
SDR-Hammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a Lipo balancer

To make a long story short. I'm without a charger for the moment so a buddy offered his Triton to get me by for now.

To use this charger for LiPo's I need a balancer so I've been doing some reading here on RCU. Threads regarding balancers is quite dated so I'm hoping some one can provide the latest info on Balancers... What are good ones and which ones to avoid, before I head off to the hobby shop in the next couple days? Also my packs use JST-XH connectors.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2012, 04:20 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Need a Lipo balancer

Balancers are pretty much universal (as long as you're within specs and are hooked up rightly) so any brand would work with any brand of charger would work with any brand of lipo with any brand of connectors. For the triton maybe the GP equinox would be a good choice , and if it's the original triton with a max rate of 2.5 amps then the included harness would work fine. If it's the triton 2 then you have an option to go up to 7 amps , and would need the hi-power adapters sold seperately. The equinox might be only good up to 6 amps if I remember correctly.

We don't mind hearing the story either in case you desire to share it. My respect if it's kept private too.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:03 PM
TheWoodCrafter
My Feedback: (1)

You are going to buy a balancer and not a new charger?

External balancers are a completely outdated tool.

Scrape up $50 and buy a LiPo charger.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:43 AM
SDR-Hammer

ORIGINAL: quver
We don't mind hearing the story either in case you desire to share it. My respect if it's kept private too.
No problem telling the story, just didn't want to bore anybody with the details. At any rate, since you asked... I had been using a Turnigy charger for a couple years but it was quickly becoming woefully inadequate for my needs but it worked. So when a buddy (same one that offered the Trition) and I went in together on a table at a local swap recently, I put the Turnigy up for sale and of course it sold. Well flying season has come much sooner to Michigan than expected and I'm without a way to charge my LiPo's... Enter the Triton to get me by for a few weeks.

As for the balancer... I had somebody tell me some time ago that the Blinky was responsible for more fires. Don't know how much truth is behind that statement, but all the same I want to make sure I make a wise decision here.

For those that took a little information to make big conclusions... A 10xp is on my wish list.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Goldenduff

So why not buy the 10xp I area of a balancer?

Does anyone know a good value ac to dc power supply. 1400w, 60 amps would be nice......

Cheers
Old 03-24-2012, 08:34 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I see this is just a temporary thing to tie you over until buying the 10XP. A blinky is very slow , but works ok too. It will work with the tritons and so will many of the cheap chinese balancers too. I would think that for under $20 you can get a balancer , but you could also get a 50 watt charger for about $20 too. go figure. If you were my neighbor you could be borrowing my balancers that I don't use anymore.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:39 AM
SDR-Hammer

Anybody have any more input on balancers instead wondering why I'm not buying a charger right now? []

Edit: thanks for the input guver. You posted while I was typing a response to the previous post.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:21 AM
richrd

Here's a thought buy a Watt meter with built in balancer you need both got one fron hobbyparts under $30
Rich