Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Scale RC Helicopters
Reload this Page >

RC Aerodyne 500 size Apache

Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

RC Aerodyne 500 size Apache

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 05:56 PM
wayne1966
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Aerodyne 500 size Apache

Hey Joe, Just checking to see how the build is going!
Old 02-05-2012, 05:41 PM
jkpape

Hey Wayne,

It's stalled right at the moment. I kind of lost interest in it because of all the issues all of us were seeing. I'm about ready to start back on it though.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:32 PM
wayne1966

i do understand, keep us informed. I will try and do a video when the weather gets better.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:01 PM
latinflyer

Hello,
Any updates or photos will be appreciated;I just got one in Ebay for $150, I have been following all input from RC groups to Youtube and seem to be a good kit overall, taking in consideration that it includes a 3D 500 class helicopter and the scale fuselage.
I am wondering if I can use futaba full size servos or if I need some specifics on servo type. How about if I make it flybarless?

Please reply with as much information you can provide.

Latinflyer.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:02 PM
wayne1966

Hi Latinflyer, you will not be able to use standard servos on a 500 size mechanics. read back on our post and you will see what was used and some issues we had with this kit. What mech's do you have? RC Aerodyne sell's the muti blade heads and state with thier system you may not need the flybarless sytem but I am not an expert with flybarless. As you attach the engines and such use CA with an excelerator instead of epoxy.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:15 PM
jkpape

Latinflyer, there are some issues with the kit. The worst being the landing gear. Which, I hope, has been corrected with the new kit that is supposed to be coming out. The Align servos are probably the best fit. I had some issues with the hitec. I haven't finished mine yet. I needed a break from it, and have been scratch building a Sterling Fledgling. I built one 42 years ago when I was 8 years old. It was my first R/C plane, which I still have but too fuel soaked to ever be flyable again.

Joe
Old 03-18-2012, 07:11 PM
armyrcer-RCU
My Feedback: (17)

Latinflyer

There was a lot covered in the 6 pages of this thread on problems and some solutions. I am not sure if I would sink too much money on a multiblade head for this kit. I do not know if this is your first scale build and how much the person did you bought it off of. I know mine came with the tail cap glassed so I had to trim it with a exacto knife. You are going to want to put more support where the winglets connect to the fuse. Check your wood in the fuse and make sure it is all glued together. My landing gear had the wrong spring in the struts and have yet to find a spring so I put wood dowel in there. I am not trying to be negative but just be open to what you may run into with it. The helicopter is a clone and will probably be a full house heli. I had a bad blade grip right out of the box and RCA replaced it with a new set for free. The blade grips are still too small for blades to slide in without gouging the lade around the root. I and Wayne sanded down the blades where they go into grip to get them to fit. Hope this helps and be sure to ask away. 

Mike
Old 03-18-2012, 10:49 PM
latinflyer

Thanks to everyone on responding, I am positive and open minded also. No this is not my first one, actually I have 4 450 class scale on my sleeve and two 500 class.
One swift conversion into 50 size 620 on a Hughes 500 San Diego Sheriff type. My only concern on this one is whether I can use standard servos as I did on my swift or not.
The kit will arrive on Wednesday and will be able to see the cut outs and realize the size of servos I can use. I don't want to use small servos as the Apache has tendencies on bee on the heavy side and will need all the torque I can get.
I will check the landing struts and if a spring is needed I have lots at work to try out and or find out the best fit. If I can help long the way to all of us on the perfect spring I would do so too. I work doing RND on Electromechanical so this is not new I expecting some personal work to be done I will keep everyone posted on from beginning to end.

Thank you.
Latinflyer.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:14 AM
armyrcer-RCU

Latinflyer

That's  good you have some scale builds under your belt. I used stock align servos,motor, and esc out of a 500 kit and worked fine. The align servos fit perfect. With that setup your head speed will be high for a scale ship but you are correct the apache is heavy.please post your build along the way curious on if you come across some of the issues we had. I have bought a md500 in 500 and 600 size from RCA and these were nicer than the apache. Wayne and jkape did not have a spring issue with their landing gear as I did. We all had problems with the gear being straight to be able to mount it correctly to the fuse. I am in the process now of converting the FHH 500 back to pod and boom and let my son fly it. Good luck on your build and a few pages back you can see my landing gear with the springs to get a idea of what I was asking about. Take care mike
Old 03-19-2012, 06:39 AM
latinflyer

ORIGINAL: armyrcer-RCU

Latinflyer

That's good you have some scale builds under your belt. I used stock align servos,motor, and esc out of a 500 kit and worked fine. The align servos fit perfect. With that setup your head speed will be high for a scale ship but you are correct the apache is heavy.please post your build along the way curious on if you come across some of the issues we had. I have bought a md500 in 500 and 600 size from RCA and these were nicer than the apache. Wayne and jkape did not have a spring issue with their landing gear as I did. We all had problems with the gear being straight to be able to mount it correctly to the fuse. I am in the process now of converting the FHH 500 back to pod and boom and let my son fly it. Good luck on your build and a few pages back you can see my landing gear with the springs to get a idea of what I was asking about. Take care mike
Thank you for the reply,
Sure I will post progress and see whether I encounter the same problems you guys had. I did noticed the landing gear not aligning on everyone pictures, I keep that in mind. I will keep in mind also making a mounting plate in the bottom as someone has mentioned may be a good idea.

Latinflyer.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:52 AM
wayne1966

Mike and Joe, i made a short video of the Apache. it is not very good and it was kind of windy but here it is. It flies very heavy. At 4.5 min flight time i still had 50% battery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwQQDdtUKgQ
Old 03-25-2012, 12:44 PM
armyrcer-RCU

Wayne,

Saying YouTube not available. How is the Huey coming along. I am in the process of building 2 md 500 at the same time.

Mike
Old 03-25-2012, 03:40 PM
wayne1966

It's coming along very well, I had to wait for decent weather to finish testing the mechanics. it has been very windy. So you can't see the video? I click on it and it goes straight to it??????
Old 03-25-2012, 03:42 PM
wayne1966

Try this one!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwQQDdtUKgQ
Old 03-25-2012, 03:44 PM
armyrcer-RCU

Came up now nice shots with the mountains in the background. 

Mike
Old 03-25-2012, 03:48 PM
wayne1966

Is one the little bird and the other the jive?
Old 03-25-2012, 03:51 PM
armyrcer-RCU

Yep I'm am repainting the little bird and the g-jive is the red and silver. The little bird came black with waterside decals so I repainted olive drab with painted letters and numbers. You on the chaos lounge if so it is under md500 little bird. I will post a thread over here as well just seems no many on here anymore.

Mike
Old 03-25-2012, 03:54 PM
wayne1966

Yep i am on the Chaos lounge, i will check it out. i just go by wayne on there.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:58 PM
armyrcer-RCU

Yeah I'm under mike should put your build on your Huey o er there as well trying to get the scale section moving bait. 

Mike
Old 03-25-2012, 04:09 PM
wayne1966

I will, Thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 04:21 PM
jkpape

Wayne, that's cool. What battery are you using? Makes me want to get mine finished up. Scratch building a Sterling Fledgling right now. None of the local hobby shops are carrying much in the way of balsa anymore. The arfs have ruined the hobby for some of us.:-(
Old 03-25-2012, 05:59 PM
wayne1966

I am using a 4 cell 5000 mah 40c bat. i get about 6 to 7 min. on it. the ESC will get about 110 degrees f. the bat. does not even get warm. i understand what you are saying about the ARF but i am just as gulty. At this point in time if i had to spend weeks or months actually building a plane or heli. i would not fly it, I would be afraid to but i do respect the person that does and wish I had the skills!
Old 03-25-2012, 06:41 PM
armyrcer-RCU

I understand with the kit building. I built a sig hog bipe and the 4 star 4-40 and enjoyed it. The sad thing is as you said balsa is getting harder to buy locally. With current work load and all the arf scale helis work out well until I retire.

Mike
Old 03-26-2012, 01:16 PM
jkpape

Wayne,
Sure you would fly it. That's 90% of the enjoyment of building. I have couple of arfs & planes that others have built. But, it's just not the same as flying something I built myself. Building one of the "current generation" kits is so much easier than ones of 20-30 years ago. There wasn't much in the way of instructions back then. 3d solid modeling cad has really helped in the design of models. And, thank goodness for CA glues. Ambroid glue is what I learned to build with. Good stuff, but took forever to dry, then came along Titebond & epoxy. Cut the build time in half. CA cut the build time by half again. The only draw back to Ca is that you better have it right before putting the glue to it.:-).
Old 03-26-2012, 03:39 PM
wayne1966

You are right, as long as i have something to fly while a take the time to build from scratch, i could handle it. They do have some heli fuse kits that are this way i might look into. Send me some pic's of planes you have built, i am always interested.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.