Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Transmitter Impound

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmitter Impound

I am curious.With 2.4 ghz systems ,do you need to impound your transmitters? How likely isthere to be a problem with let's say, our whole flightline 20 stations ,all filled 10 with 2.4 ghz TX's 10 on 72 mhz,? I think, all the 72 mhz systems should impuonded without adoubt, but do the 2.4 systems need to be "impounded'? Thanks, John
Old 03-20-2012, 10:01 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Transmitter Impound

Is it the club you fly at that wants to do impounds? I know some clubs where there is a mix of both 72 and 2.4 being used like to stick to the old rules
to try and prevent someone from forgetting they or on 72 and turning on there radio.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:34 AM
Rotten40851

Yes, it is club policy to what we consider impounding you Tx. by placing your Tx on a central table. and place a frequency pin stating your name and frequeny you are on. Most of the flyers at our field fly 2.4 but many still fly on Ch 11 - 60 on 72 mhz., some of the guys with the 2.4 radios are wondering if it isneeded to impound a 2.4 transmitter because of interfering with another 2,4 or 72 system? I can be bothersome to have to leave your radio Tx out in the sun away from your station if you dont have to. If it it necessary to do with the older technology, they would still need thereTx'sat the so called impound. So far we have never had any interference on any type of 2.4 system with each other or any 2.4 to 72 Mhzinterference either. I would like a little more information before making a sugestion at my club
Old 03-21-2012, 05:38 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bottom line is NO, you do not need to inpound 2.4 radios due to interference. As stated before it is a good practice if you still have a mix of 2.4 and 72 radios.

Rafael
Old 03-21-2012, 05:39 AM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a normal flying day at the typical club field, impounding 72Mhz is a bit over the top, taking a frequency pin and hanging your AMA card in that spot should be enough protection, except for large events. Impounding 2.4Ghz is completely out of line, they don't even do it at large events for 2.4Ghz.
Our club still maintains a frequency board. When a pilot takes a 72Mhz or Ham band pin they clip their AMA card in the provided clip under that frequency, this way anyone can check to see who's on what channel. We then have a 2.4Ghz clip area where those on 2.4Ghz hang their AMA cards, we gave up on 2.4Ghz pins long ago
When a club imposes an impound, they're taking on some responsibility for the safety of the radios, that's why so many large events are 2.4Ghz only, they don't want the hassle of impounding radios.
Pete
Old 03-21-2012, 05:40 AM
Silent-AV8R

None of the clubs I belong to require impounds. We do use a pin system for 72 and 50 MHz systems.

I fly at a lot of large soaring contests. None of those require impounds any longer either. Plus they restrict it to one entry per frequency for the older channels.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:36 AM
BuschBarber

At our field, we Impound only during events and only non-2.4 radios. There was a time when those using 72Mhz RF modules would just impound the Module. You could use a DSC cable when working on your aircraft and not be transmitting.

We have a Frequency Board and ask that anyone flying put their AMA card on the board so that we know they have AMA. Non 2.4 radios require a Frequency Pin.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

There's no legitimate need to impound 2.4 radios especially at a local flying field.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:02 AM
KB9STD
My Feedback: (1)

There is no NEED to impound 2.4ghz transmitters, due to frequency conflicts.But, IF You are going to "IMPOUND" 72Mhz (and/or 50Mhz or any other frequency) transmitters, You should impound ALL transmitters.That way,if someone sees any transmitter left unattended outside the impound area they are likely to investigate(and maybe spot a transmitter accidentaly left on,or someone who forgot to get the frequency clip etc.) and avert a potential crash.If You encourage anyone using 2.4 Ghz to ignore any form of transmitter control,You are begging them to forget about the issue if/when they are dealing with a 72Mhz system.
If a pilot is totaly averse to dealing with even a little control(as in "I don't NEED to, cause I'm using 2.4 Ghz!!").Perhaps a "Club" setting isn't the best suited to their needs.
Just my personal opinion!!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:59 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Since 2.4 frequency hops, it is impossible to issue it a frequency pin, since the frequencies, yes frequencies since it transmits on 2 channels changes every time the radio is turned on.  2.4 Gigahertz is so far out from 72 Megahertz, that that you can surround a 72 radio with dozens of 2.4 radios all turned on and not interfere with it or the dozens of radios surrounding it.

One other thing to note, a 2.4 Ghz radio has a short antenna, the Mhz radios have a long antenna, very easy to recognize the difference.

An impound table serves one purpose, to avoid frequency interference, so a flyer doesn't shoot down another flyer. but with 2.4 that is an impossibility.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:46 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

A lot of clubs still use 2.4g flags though, to control access to the pilot stations and to keep people in the habit.

Andy
Old 03-26-2012, 06:37 PM
johnfly

At our "big" annual fly in "around 30~40 pilots" We have the pilots write down the frequencies they are using ie 2.4 or 16,24,59..... if there are no conflicts everyone keeps their radios ....... if there is a conflict those pilots are instructed to use the frequency board and to impound only those radios when not in use. Keeps everyone safe.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:07 PM
jayjayneri

In the F3A worlds and Asian championships, there was no impound as everyone was recquired to use 2.4ghz.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

At our field there is no one left still using 72. The frequency board is very seldom opened any more. There is certainly no need to pin up the 2.4 and if the club attemped to mandate pinning for 2.4 or impounding the ones doing so would run out of town on a rail.

Free at last, Free at last from the pinboard what a wonderful thing

John
Old 03-27-2012, 08:58 AM
Guerra
My Feedback: (48)

At our field we took down the transmitter impound rack. We then filled the rack with gravel and now use it to drag the runway edges. It's been a good rack.