Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Tower Hobbies Uproar 40 build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tower Hobbies Uproar 40 build

Old 01-30-2012, 01:51 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Tower Hobbies Uproar 40 build

Here is a little video that was taken by a friend using his FPV set-up. I am flying the Red (#2) Uproar. Nothing particularly special just us practicing to get better at plane to plane video. I got so carried away I ran the thing out of fuel and ended up about 20 feet short of the run way. No damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_gjpeKHCro
Old 02-12-2012, 04:29 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Great Planes Dazzler fans....

Cliff (Daddyo57) told me about ten days ago that the Dazzler had been re-released. I was just at the Tower site and run across it . $65 list price.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ591&P=7
Old 02-26-2012, 05:37 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

My son and I took the Uproars to the “Frozen Fickle Finger of Fate Fun Fly” at Jetero RC club yesterday. The red Uproar went as a back up but we never had to put a drop of fuel in it.

Participation was down this year with 16 pilots flying. Once again we had a blast. This year my son placed 1st and I 3rd.

The flight task were
1-timed climb and glide with spot landing
2-bomb drop and limbo
3-strait flight out and back race and balloon bust
4-timed flight task = take off - 3 loops - 3 rolls - under limbo - land in box – stop rolling...Bonus points- taxi to designated shut down area.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:56 AM
tobydogs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice to hear from you and the family ricky, glad your flying with your son...mine is taking an intrest a little but his schedual with his friends is a little hecktic along with work. he's 20years old....lol...never to old to start getting the rc addiction,i'm just affraid he'll go into my hanger and steal all my planes[jk].

man ,i can't wait for this wind to die down so i can get speed runs in with hopped up hk parkjets. check out wattflyers"need for speed "thread in the pusher prop jet section.we'er having a blast. i still fly the same uproar all the time at the field and it's still one of my favorite birds! take care my friend,stu
Old 03-04-2012, 06:02 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Stu,

How's it going?

Sent you a PM
Old 03-04-2012, 06:03 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Here is a little update on the three Uproars. None of them have had any real damage as of yet. (Knock on Wood). The Monokote has had to have a few patches on #1 particularly due to bamboo sticks used in the balloon bust of last years fun fly contest. The stock landing gear gets pulled off every 10 or so flights to get re-bent back to the way it’s suppose to be. Banged the wings of the purple one pretty hard a couple weekends ago and broke nothing. So, with all the holes I put in these airframes to save weight, even in the shear webs of the wings, I would say structural integrity has not been compromised.

I/we have not had any problems with aileron/elevator servos since changing them out to the ones mentioned in a earlier post. The jury is still out on using the 9 gram servos from Hobby King on the throttle. I had one go bad today while flying the Red (#2) Uproar on its 10th flight. This one went to idle and stayed.

Uproar #1-Blue
50 flights total
28 flights since Aileron/Elevator servo change
25 flights since switching throttle servo to 9 gram from Hobby King

Uproar #2-Red
13 flights total all servos changed before maiden.
10 flights on 9gram throttle servo before failure changed at field and flew 3 more times

Uproar #3-Purple
74 flights total
60 flights since Aileron/Elevator servo change
34 flights since switching throttle servo to 9 gram from Hobby King
Old 03-30-2012, 03:58 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

*&#$...One of my neighbors dozen or so freaking cats got into my barn were I keep the Uproars. Apparently it decided to peel out while standing on the TechOne foamy box that was on the top shelf on the opposite side of where the airplane sits. Of coarse the corner of the box had to dig into the wing of Uproar #3. [:@]

I could live with it and be happy if I cracked it up farting around at the field. But to have to make a repair because of this....Well-[>:]!!!!

I have not looked yet to see if I have enough copper color. Wouldn’t you know it ripped the covering on both sides of the rib so I need enough material to recover two bays. Only structural damage that I see so far is the trailing edge sheet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86776.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	1744777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67226.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1744778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24591.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	479.7 KB
ID:	1744779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex68479.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	483.4 KB
ID:	1744780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep85225.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	465.7 KB
ID:	1744781  
Old 03-30-2012, 05:11 PM
tobydogs

hello ricky,sorry to see the hanger damage done by the neighbors cat, i would want to wring it's neck!!

i feel your pain on having to patch up such a nice build. heres a few pictures of my roar damaged by the lg breaking off and popping thru the wing bottom. i wasn't happy with the red being slightly different shade but i did have the ghost smoke decal left over fom the original pack so she looks great still. i also inserted the pictuer of roar #2 that a small stick like tree snagged my wing on a bad landing approach ,it seriously was a stick about 4ft high and ripped the wing right off. i had the replacement kit waiting an built the roar i fly today. like you, i love the roars flying caracteristics so much thati have a kit in the waitting for that day it's needed....lol

take my friend,stu

Name:	Mk26706.jpg
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1744819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75250.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1744820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44097.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1744821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47933.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1744822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45798.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1744823  
Old 03-31-2012, 10:01 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm a cat person. I will relate my Up-Roar story. Just finished scratch building a new one. Was going to maiden it the next day and had it hanging with my other Roar. Decided to work on my OS .70FS and had it pointed into my shop. It back fired and tossed the spinning prop into my shop and the prop went right through the wing. As I recall it never broke a rib but I did have to patch the brand new planes covering. That makes me a bit crazy but that was in the days of Fun Fly contests so I knew the plane may not las a day.
Rick, it's just a Roar, slap some tape over it and go fly!! OK, I know, yours aren't just Roars!! Scratch built works of wonder and engineering!!!Go ahead and be mad!!![:-]
Old 03-31-2012, 01:05 PM
gunneredwards
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nothin a shotgun or some antifreeze couldnt fix...

Old 03-31-2012, 02:33 PM
outdoorhunting

Agreed, gunner! A neighbor used to have a couple of male cats that would get into my garage & spray. You can't believe the smell. I told him & told him to take care of the problem. Long story short, I did. You can't believe how high a cat can jump when introduced to a 12 gauge. Since then, he don't speak to me, but the other cat never gets out of his house !!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:44 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

I manage to make a mess with my hasty repair of the wing covering. You know how it is....If you don’t have the time to fix it right...do it so crappy that you have to fix it again when you have even less time. Oh well[:'(]. I should have followed Genes suggestion and grabbed the packing tape. It would not have been the first time I used tape on a plane like this. But I wanted to fix the trailing edge sheeting[:-].

I made a little 1/16” splice and glued it under the trailing edge sheet to fix that up. When I cut the piece of purple – in hindsight – I cut it too narrow. When I went to heat the covering with my heat gone to shrink it up tight, the material pulled on the inboard side, made a mess, pissed me off even more [:@]and I said screw and left it like you see it. It flew just fine yesterday. So, when I get time with nothing else to do maybe I’ll fix it right. Or maybe I’ll wait till it peals off on it’s own before I worry about it.

Look at the bright side....It gives people at the field something to talk about. Look at that bagging covering.....How ugly is that.....Why doesn’t he fix it.

The purple (#3) has enough flights on it that the holes in the wheels were all wallowed out. So I gave the wheels a brass bushing upgrade. Using some 3/16 brass tubing I cut a couple pieces in length to match the width of the wheels. I then drilled out the wheels on my little drill press with a 3/16 bit. Scribed (scratched) the OD of the brass tubing with my Xacto knife to facilitate gluing and used some medium CA to glue the brass to the wheels. Now the wheels don’t wobble like a Flintstone mobile......

Name:	Nl30101.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	363.4 KB
ID:	1746118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36598.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	438.9 KB
ID:	1746119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Np32169.jpg
Size:	365.4 KB
ID:	1746120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60286.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	370.6 KB
ID:	1746121  
Old 04-02-2012, 05:04 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

ORIGINAL: tobydogs

...........hanger damage done by the neighbors cat..............

................heres a few pictures of my roar damaged by the lg breaking off and popping thru the wing bottom..............
............. i also inserted the pictuer of roar #2 that a small stick like tree snagged my wing ..................
Stu,

With this repair it was not that I was so bummed the plane had damage (after all that one is ugly as sin) as much as it was I have no time to be fixing it. The only thing I have to fly right now is these uproars. I try to leave the Blue one alone as it is for my son. I also had to do some work on the red one. Just can’t get the engine happy on that one.

I think I remember you writing about both of the uproar crack ups in your post. Catching that twig for a tree had to be a trip. Flying along and POW! Wings gone.....

I have patched a few over the years. Once upon a time I had no choice but to fix them. There was no money to buy replacements. I once had a Flight Line Scooter II that I put three fuses on the wing before finally building an all new Scat Cat. That was in the day when those kits were, I want to say, less than $30.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Gray Beard

Rick, every time I see the inside of those planes I remember All the cutting and drilling that went into them. The lightest Roars I have ever seen built. Have you ever given any thought about making the Red one electric?? With a loading of zero I'm thinking it would be a kick in the pants to convert. Next big sale at Hobby People I will be picking up another motor or two plus the ESCs just to have on hand. Due to the blood thinners I'm on I have decided to put my planes away except electrics. I could loose a finger and bleed out.
Either that or let some of the other guys start my planes for me?? That could work!! Even better if I could get them to clean them at the end of the day too!!!
Old 04-03-2012, 01:08 PM
tobydogs

grey beard, elec uroars rule!!! i only do electrics and also am on blood thinners[open heart in 09]. i have to think glow power is safer then electric do to the engine is either running or not. but outrunners come alive with a touch of the throttle, and a bite from glow will stall the engine, but outrunners stop for no hand,or is that no man....lol...i know you knew this but figured i post it anyway for those who maybe don't understand the very real dangers we face building and running these bigger outrunners with sharp apc props. at least we don't have to wipe the slime off our birds at the end of the day.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:07 PM
outdoorhunting

Ya might not have enough fingers to wipe off the slime !!! Hahahaha
Old 04-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Gray Beard

I don't know how many followed Ricks build of these three planes but the thread is worth starting from the first post. Up to the point we started doing the BS thing when the planes were about finished. Back in the days of the fun fly events I usd the Roars. I built them from scratch too but never did anything like Rick did. He cut the parts then removed pretty much anything that looked like wood from those parts. His roars are a bit thin on wood. I figure the loading on one of his is almost nothing and would be perfect for electric.
I make sure my motors don't come on unless I do it from the TX. Not only will electric keep chewing off parts, those little thin props are way sharp!! I figure I will be doing a lot more building then flying this year, well, I hope to be anyway. Once I get off the meds I should have some new planes to fly too.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Steveibrc

Hello Rick and to all that hang out here

This is my first day of school on these weird little stick planes. Must be a heck of a design to have such a following of believers. Now that the hog is done, i am in the market for a new girlfriend, something in the 40 class that i can use, at least to some degree some of the parts and pieces around the shop. You all think the world of these, and it might be just the ticket. Gotta lot reading and learning to do.............Steve
Old 04-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Gray Beard

Steve, the Roars are just a box fuse plane with a thick wing. It was designed for fun fly events that require a plane to do everything you can think of. The Dazzler was it's better looking sister plus there are a bunch of them with a profile a fuse. They have a bunch of lift and will fly so slow it's scarry. When 3-D was just coming into being the fun fly type of planes were used to learn with.
Fun fly planes were designed to be built almost over night because fun fly events tend to be very hard on a plane. Most pilots take a few of the same plane with them when they compete. They are born to die.
Tower sells te Roar kit and it is still priced very well. In Ricks case he went way over board on his builds. He built 3 at the same time and hand cut every piece and made them as light as you are even going to see a Roar. The planes came out as works or art. It really was a shame to see one of them get hurt.
If you plan on building one know in advance that the stock plane is a perfect flying machine. You can use anything from a .25 to a .60 in one. .60 is going to kill the air frame pretty fast but I have installed a MDS .58 in one for break in and it worked OK. The .25 was just for the fun of it. When I was involved in fun fly events I used the Roars and only used the cheap OS .46 LA engines. For me, that was a perfect match. The plane is designed for any .40 engine.
If you build one you will be hooked. The plane is that much fun.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Steveibrc

Gray Beard, Thank you for the time to give me an overview if the situation. Funny that you should mention the OS 46 la, i have a new one on the shelf. Looks like i have 33 pages of this thread to read while i organize for the build.... Steve
Old 04-09-2012, 10:58 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Gene
You know, I think one of my uproars would make an excellent electric powered fun fly machine. But I have not really thought about converting one. I have yet to graduate to electrics that size. With the right battery I could get the wing loading even lower than it is right now and still maintain a decent flight time. As you have seen in some of the videos, my uproars do fly very light and I love it[8D]. They will launch off the ground with ZERO roll out.

Steve,
Without a doubt the OS46LA would be perfect for one of these planes. If you read through the thread you’ll see that there are many guys that use that engine on this plane. Also, if you read the thread, I hope you enjoy it. There are a few crazy experiments documented throughout. My intent was to go for it and see what all really works and or how far I could go. Then share with everyone that reads this thread. I actually learned a lot about building light with these planes. And- my planes are still flying-so I reckon I did not go too far…..[:-]

I think this design Uproar/Dazzler are reasonable popular because of the value….In other words it flies good, it’s easy to build, and the cost is good too. The plane is not a 3D flyer even if you build it light. I believe the tail is too short to be good at that. But, I am not a successful 3D pilot either. It’s also not a pattern plane. None the less it will do some pretty crazy flying. As Gene mentioned this plane is great for all the Fun Fly type of “task oriented flying”. It will fly fast and slow right down to nothing. It will turn on a dime. Set-up accordingly it will roll faster than you can count.
If I were to build another there is only two things I would do different. One is I would go with a Dazzler style aileron instead of what I did, and I would use a 2 ounce smaller fuel tank because it turns out I would have gotten plenty of flight time. The rudder and elevator modifications are great and the light weight plane and equipment that I ended up with work fine. But I did change out a few servos along the way.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Gray Beard

I got the SWOOSE plans today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If nothing else I may be able to get the templates copied and cut. I will probably be building 3 at one time. I'm pretty sure both my buddies will want one so I will make up enough templates. May even go to the craft store and buy some fresh spray glue?? That's only a maybe, let's see how much I still have undr the bench!!
Old 06-16-2012, 03:39 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Last Sunday (June 10th) I had the chance to take a couple of the Uproars to Temple Texas for a Fun Fly Competition. I took #3 – Purple and #2 – Red. The red one went along as a back up in case I dorked the other plane but also to show I could build and cover a decent looking plane. The purple still looks like crap....I did get a couple of complements on the red one....

Anyway, only seven pilots registered to fly in the competition. The wind was a bit stiff but manageable. The routines in this fly-in were heavily favored in “spot landing” ability. Long story shortened I brought home the trophy for first place.

The Uproars are just a blast to fly in this kind of stuff. Love it.

I also have to say: the group of guys in Temple were great to go fly with. Me and one other member of my club drove out there and they treated us as if we flew with them every Sunday. Had a blast....

Name:	Li21224.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	508.6 KB
ID:	1772502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22526.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1772503  
Old 06-16-2012, 07:48 AM
Gray Beard

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!! I always liked the purple plane but you know I'm color blind. I also like checks. Let it be an eye opener to anyone that may be a CD for Fun Fly or club Events, a trophy is a nice thing to give out as a prise!! Really a big boost to the ego and something that can be kept and shown forever. I have one kits and engines, even building supplies but I don't have them any longer, I would have rather had the Trophy!
I just looked up the Up-Roar kits in the new Tower Talk, the kit is now $70.00. When I first started building them they were $40.00 and I was killing them so fast I started building them from templates I had made from a kit. Still my all time favorite plane to fly and I love the 40 size, cheap to build and will fly perfectly with cheap servos and a .46 la engine.Anyway, CONGRATULATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only are the fun fly events a ball to fly they are hard to win!! It is an even bigger deal when you win with a plane like yours, you brought building to another level with those Roars!!!!!! That was a great build thread too!!
Old 06-17-2012, 04:39 AM
gunneredwards
My Feedback: (4)

Congrats Rick... wish i would have known they were having a flyin as i would have tried to get up there to meet you. I havent had a chance to fly in 6 months.
dan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.