Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Team Associated RC10 project

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:58 PM
poeman446

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Team Associated RC10 project

Ijust found a Team associated RC10 buggy that my cousin gave me for a project years and years back. Ihave a futaba controller (75mhz) and a matching reciever. Im pretty much entirely new to RC stuff, so i need a bit of help. I got a 15T firebolt motor. Iam going to get a Tazer 15T ESC. Ineed a pair of Futaba crystals (75mhz). Iwill buy them off of someone here if you are looking to sell some (or know of a place to get some cheap). Iam a college student, not looking to get too big into the hobby, but as a Mechanical Engineering student, It does interest me. Ineed some shock rebuild kits for the shocks, and some new wheels/tires. Imight also need a new rear end or differential. Ican probably rebuild that though. other than that, I should be good to go. Can anyone give me some tips and tricks on getting into the hobby?

Also: The futaba controller doesnt have a battery pack and i went to my local hobby shop and they said it took 8 AA's but in a weird pack. Ican probably make my own, but should i use 1.2v rechargeable AA's or 1.5v regular ones? Thanks so much!

-Ethan
Old 03-31-2012, 05:01 PM
poeman446

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Team Associated RC10 project

I also need a battery. Ihave an old charger that will work with NiCd batteries (Ithink its a Nickel Cadmium charger anyway...) so those batteries will probably be better for me. ive heard the advantages of the new batteries, but like i said, Iwant to go as cheap as possible.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:19 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Team Associated RC10 project

Associated shock rebuild kits are only a few dollars at a hobby shop and includes new o-ring seals, plastic spacers, pistons and an assembly tool. Pick up a tube of "Green Slime" while you're at it and you will need some fresh shock oil too; 25wt is a good starting point for buggies. While you're at the hobby shop, ask them about crystals. I seem to remember that they run about $15 per set.

The tires and wheels are an issue since the old RC10s used 2" wheels. All the modern buggies ride on 2.2" so, you can modify an Associated B4.1 wheel to fit the RC10 axle and use larger 2.2 tires or you can pick up a set of these Losi Step-Pins: https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...s&pn=LOSA7378S. These are the only readily available 2" tires I can find. As for the fronts, I can't locate a set of 2" anywhere. However, the good news is that the bearings in the wheel and the front axles are the same size as the ones on the modern day B4.1. This means you can install B4 front rims and mount a set of 2.2" front tires of your choosing. If you go that route then you may as well swap out the rear wheels also and drill the center hole to match the RC10's axle diameter. Be sure not to drill all the way through, only about half way so the wheel still fits snugly over the threaded end of the axle.