Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Help with my 6-15 volt 25 amp Pyramid

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Help with my 6-15 volt 25 amp Pyramid

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:35 PM
deadpedal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my 6-15 volt 25 amp Pyramid

Greetings. I've recently aquired a new Pyramid 6 to 15 volt 25 amp power supply. I already had a Triton Jr and balancer that I was previously using with a car battery. So far the two are working great together, but I have a few questions.

I've been running the voltage around 14 volts since the Triton Jr handles 12 - 15. Will running the voltage up nearer the 15 volt limit charge LiPos any faster than at 12 volts and is that recommended?

Can I run two or more chargers like the Triton Jr from this single power supply at the same time? Charging different size LiPos at the same time from it?

If I buy another charger to add to this setup is another Triton Jr a good idea or are there better options now? Currently my largest packs are 4S 4000mAh 14.8v 25C for my 40 size planes.

Any other advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-31-2012, 03:35 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Help with my 6-15 volt 25 amp Pyramid

Varying the voltage on the ps will not affect the speed at which the TJ can charge nor will it affect the TJ's power or max power. It won't matter , but the highest voltage >15 is recommended. Anything over 15 and the TJ WILL turn off and reset giving high voltage input error.

You can also run any number of TJs or any other chargers from this ps as long as the total power doesn't exceed the maximum of the ps. It looks like its max might be around 12 volts x 15 amps = 180 watts?

Nowadays you can do a lot more for your money than the TJ. It's a 63 watt charger , and there are plenty of 50 watt , 80 watt , and 100 watt chargers on the market for less money. Maybe you like Hobbyking or value hobby? A nice match for your ps might be a 120 , 150, 180 , or 200 watt charger.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:14 PM
deadpedal

Thank you so much for the response. I am now looking at this Turnigy 4x6s:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...k_Charger.html
It says AC mains PSU (>200Watts). Shall I assume that means this is really four 50 watt chargers?

Also, I have a bunch of various size balance plugs for my current Equinox balancer. It looks like the plug on the Equinox side is the same as their "balance boards". Would you know if that's true so that I'd be able to use them with this unit?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:12 AM
guver

Yes, I think that is 4 x 50 watts. Most of those 4 channel chargers are 4 x 5 amp and 50 watts. That one looks like 4 x 6 amps and 50 watts. There's one or two on the market that's 4 x 6 amp and 60 watts for total of 240 watts. Turnigy also just came out with a 4 x 100 watt. I see it is back ordered. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_Charger.html It would allow more "sharing" of your 180-200 watts of power. In otherwords you could be doing jobs like this:

1- 100 watt job
1-60 watt job
1-20 watt job

With the other charger you are limiting EACH job to 50 watts, right?

If I remember correctly the equinox uses two extra outer pins even though it looks the same style. I don't think it will just "plug-n-play"
Old 04-01-2012, 02:26 PM
deadpedal

I'm really getting excited about this unit here:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14743

Able to charge 2 large packs... as large as I'd ever need at 1 to 3C
I believe from the specs it would be perfect for my power supply running wide open at 15v 25 amps delivering the power this would need to charge any packs.
Would I be correct that my power supply would be an excellent match for this unit?
Old 04-01-2012, 02:37 PM
guver

That looks to be a good match. It's hard to tell what power your ps really is without the specific link. This is backwards , the way we are going about it (ps, then charger , ect)

We should start with batts , then charge speed or current , then select charger then a ps. I guess I can see why we are doing it backwards because you already have the ps.

It wouldn't hurt to go the other way though and start with your packs. All we know right now is that the TJ is 63 watts MAX. Are you planning on doing jobs that require 5 amps and 63 watts or more?

This may help http://www.progressiverc.com/calcs
Old 04-01-2012, 04:41 PM
deadpedal

Here's a link to my exact power supply.
http://www.buyreliant.com/pyramid-ps...-power-supply/

Truth is I'm a nitro guy mainly, but recently my local flying field has gone electric only. I love the field so I finally have to fall in line with the other electric guys. I'm in the process of converting two 40 size planes to electric. I'm using 4s 4000mah 25c packs for those. I'm also going to be converting a 90 size Spitfire so I'll either have two batteries in series there or one very large one. This charging choice may help me decide to equip it with a single larger battery there.

Thanks a bunch for that link. It's awesome! Thank you for the continued help