Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite P-47D Thunderbolt ARF .60-.91: Building & Mods

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite P-47D Thunderbolt ARF .60-.91: Building & Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:58 PM
7kings
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite P-47D Thunderbolt ARF .60-.91: Building & Mods

Yes - they're 5mm.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:34 AM
callide

I have the 90 degree e-flite retracts and perhaps I should of considered the 85 degree. The 90 degree in the down position appear to go past vertical, hence the diehedral in the wing. Should I go the 85 degree retracts but someone here said maybe they will fall a little short of vertical,its just if I send these 90 degree retracts back for the 85 and they do fall short of 90 I'm stuck with them, just wanna make sure.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:30 AM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what is worth.
The stock retracts open to 90 deg and when you sit the plane on the ground it looks like they are bowed in so much that the tire doesn't sit flat but angled inward toward the belly of the plane.
I cannot imagine the 85 deg being any better to cure this problem.
I would however wait until someone with the e flite retracts post their opinion for you to make and educated guess.

Good luck.
Fabio
Old 03-18-2012, 10:53 AM
orthodoc

I've got the E-flite 90 deg on mine. Just need to them slightly with small washers. This gets the to about 88 deg or so which seems perfect.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:43 AM
orthodoc

Sorry - iPhone.

Shim them slightly with small washers.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:56 PM
callide

I looked at shimming with washers but that put pressure on the retracts in the up position, I looked at elevating the retract out on an angle to the tyre is just touching in the retracted position but that now put the retact unit out of the wing too far, I probably sound to fussy but I do want the jug to look good sitting standby for its next mission.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:25 PM
7kings

The 85 degree E-Flite retracts are the correct ones for the P-47.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...tracts-EFLG410

-Brian
Old 03-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Doomking

I am a bit confused.
How do the 85 degree fit better making the landing gear perpendicular to the ground when the stock one which is a 90 degree looks to be sitting inward and not perpendicular ?
Would less degree be more pronounced inward ?

Fabio
Old 03-18-2012, 06:46 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is from page 2. Somtimes it helps to start at the beginning.
ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

Stock Retracts with RoboStruts:

Here are pics of my retract installation. Gear doors are not mounted yet (will fly without them for first few flights), but everything else on the wing is ready to go.

I went with the #650 straight struts because full scale P-47 struts have only a slight amount of offest anyway (see scale drawing).
When I DO get the gear doors installed: the spring loops will hardly be visible. I like 'forgiving' landing gear, which is why I use RoboStruts AND the spring loops.

As you can see: I removed parts of the wheel wells, becuase there is a real lack of room for wheels. Like I said earlier: choose after-market wheels VERY carefully. If they are too wide, you won't be able to get them all the way into the wells.

Last pic shows gear door placed over landing gear. It is not attached, just set on there to show that it will ALMOST be flush with the wing, when it doies become attached.

ALL pics and drawings are of left main landing gear.
Of particular interest might be the scale drawing detail of a main landing detail. The axel is slightly offset from the strut (not 90 deg from it). The strut does exit the wing at about 90 degree ang.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:56 AM
callide

I see that the standard fuel tank is a 14oz tank, wondering how long I could fly for with a OS 91fx.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:18 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Doomking

I am a bit confused.
How do the 85 degree fit better making the landing gear perpendicular to the ground when the stock one which is a 90 degree looks to be sitting inward and not perpendicular ?
Would less degree be more pronounced inward ?

Fabio
This might help. The retracts open at less than 90 deg to account for the dihedrel of the wing. http://www.robart.com/catalog/secure...awings/605.pdf
Old 03-28-2012, 09:52 AM
7kings

raptureboy is correct - if there were no dihedral to the wing, you would be good with a 90-degree set of retracts. With the dihedral, you need the 85-degree retracts to keep them perpendicular to the ground.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Doomking

Precisely .....I understand the geometry of which 85 degrees mounted on a p 47 would be perpendicular to the GROUND and not the wing.
However the point I was trying to make is the the stock 90 degrees retracts which are perpendicular to my wing, do sit inward once the plane is on the ground and not outward as you would think with the additional 5 degrees.
Just curious if any of you that have the stock retracts do suffer from the same bowed lag sindrome that my plane seems to have.
Did I confuse you guys even more? ...hehe

Thanks for all the help.
Fabio
Old 04-04-2012, 05:14 PM
orthodoc

Need some help from the experts. Problem with a damaged steering arm for the tail wheel (plastic and brass component that joins push rod to tail wheel wire). Plastic around the brass inner ring was actually cracked when I received it but I chose to attempt a repair with JB weld rather than try to get TF to send new one. Has held up great for over a year through many rough landings but now the plastic is starting to delaminate completely. Got more in JB weld than original plastic around the ring now.

Problem is finding a replacement part. TF doesnt offer tail wheel assembly as a separate part and can't seem to find good substitute at LHS either. If anyone has spare tail wheel assembly they would be willing to sell or can point me to alternative much be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-07-2012, 07:13 AM
funkymeter2003

Interesting, I had the same problem. Can't say mine was cracked when I got it though. I crashed my first p 47, bought another and as I was gutting it saw the cracks in the plastic.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Doomking

I had same problem right out of the box.
I purchased a steering wheel harm I think either from Dubro or great planes. The shaft collar was little bigger than the stock one but I cranked it down all the way and it is very secure on to the tail wheel wire.
The plastic in the replacement is very thick and same quality of servo harms, unlike the brittle garbage that comes with the stock ARF.
let me know if you need picture of the part.

Fabio
Old 04-09-2012, 07:18 AM
orthodoc

Thanks Fabio,

Ifound the Great Planes and Dubro steering arms but didn't try them b/c figured wouldn't tighten well on the smaller tail wheel wire. Glad to know worked ok for you. Will give that a shot. . . . . I knew Icouldn't be the only one with this issue!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 AM
Ford34tom

Where do I go for good, clear drawings of the panel lines on a P47, specifically a Razorback. I am going to try to bring mine to a little higher level than my past warbirds. Thanks for and suggestions.

Tom
Old 04-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Doomking

OK I had already enough [:@]

Maiden the P-47 today. As expected from the one I had in the pass it is a breeze to fly right after take off.
Loops, rolls, split S you name it the DLE 20 performed flawlessly and pulled the plane around with authority.
Than the landing.....came in little hot like all the warbirds I fly, greased the landing on the mains and settled on the tail.
Our field it is bit rough for a plane with small wheels such as the p-47.
The landing wire after the long landing roll took already some abuse and one got bent and no longer retract properly. Need to be straighted by hand.
So here I am taking off the stock garbage retracts, removing the plastic wheel well covers and I am here asking what would be the most reliable and durable retract system for this bird out there.
I had Robart "wire" pneumatic retracts on another p-47 with robostruts and they were entirely too wobbly. Did not liked them unless they got better now.
I am looking for something with struts that can take regular abuse from a regular grass flying field without bending....
I am open to any suggestions....

Thanks for your help.

Fabio
Old 04-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Dago Racer13

Fabio;

Getyour club to put inblacktop and you won't have to worry about your cheap gear.Have them put in some drain too so we won't have to wear our waders in the middle ofAugust!
Dave
Old 04-30-2012, 05:45 AM
7kings

Fabio - I think your best choice for struts for a bumpy, grassy field is going to be the stock 5mm steel rods with the coil at the top. Oleo struts like Robart and RCSkylite are good for compression absorption, but you're going to be dealing with more lateral forces, trying to bend them backwards, which they do not handle well.

-Brian
Old 04-30-2012, 05:51 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Completed flights 6 thru 12 on mine with a lot of landings for fine-tuning the needles. Landing have been slow and soft as I cranked in more than 45 degrees on the flaps and added flap-to-elevator mix to maintain a constant shallow dive when idling. I then add a bit of throttle to control rate of descent. Landings are really nice that way. I may have just re-invented the wheel here, but the setup really works well.

Also added invasion stripes to aid visibility. All in all, I really like the plane!
Old 05-13-2012, 07:42 PM
funkymeter2003

Guys,
I converted this ARF over to a razorback but have a question as to how to finalize the canopy. Is there a solid piece attached to the fuselage at the rearmost section of the canopy were it slants or is it right behind the cockpit? Right now i have an open space aft of the pilot and know that can't be right. THanks all
Old 05-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Either of these helpfull?

Old 05-14-2012, 08:57 AM
funkymeter2003

Yes, very helpful...now I am not sure how to make that happen! I used the formers and canopy from the kit version but it does not mate up like it appears that would. I will figure something and thanks for the pics. By the way, I recommend the conversion if you like the razorback, definitely pretty cool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.