Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 8FGS vs DX8 Programming

Old 04-01-2012, 06:45 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Futaba 8FGS vs DX8 Programming

Now that Ihave one of each, Iam finding the Spektrum much easier to program than the Futaba. The menu is easier to navigate, though the thumb roller can be a bit touchy. The touchpad on the Futaba is much more difficult to use than the thumb roller and the menu layout is haphazard. Ineed to setup dual rates and expo and havent found it yet. As an example Isetup my Deweyville with the Futaba to start with, and setting up the throttle was a pain. Ithen decided to use the Futaba RX in my Kadet instead so put a Spektrum RX in the Dewey and was able to setup the throttle in just a few minutes.

The manual for the Spektrum is simpler to follow too, it walks you through each menu, the Futaba is more like hunt and peck and if you dont know what you are looking for, you can spend hours trying to figure it out. For example I needed to figure out the flap settings on the DX8, found it and had them setup in minutes. For my T-34 it has 2 aileron servos and one flap servo. There is a wing setup that matches exactly, then I went in and set the flap switch and done. I am still trying to figure out the menu on the Futaba. Iam selling my DX6i so I transferred my planes to the DX8 already which took me more time to power up the planes than it did to bind and setup the radio.

Idid figure out the throttle cut easy enough on the Futaba, and got the throttle setup on the Kadet once I figured out the menu settings. However, too many steps involved and have to try to remember them each time.

Now the flipside, the RX install for the Futaba is simpler, no satellite to mount, no little antennas to fool with. Itake a couple left over pushrod tubes and cut about 1 inch pieces and set them at 90* apart and just stick the antenna in them. The Spektrum though Ineed to find clear open areas, not one, but two of them 90* apart. If I want to use Futaba servos I hve to clip the tabs off, though Inoticed the 3004 servors are beveled, so only the tab needs to come off.

The final test will come when Ifly with each one though, comfort wise and accessibility to the switches will decide on which radio will be my main radio.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Jamming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Futaba 8FGS vs DX8 Programming

Been flying the dx8 for a year now and couldn't be happier, mostly helicopters though. The higher resolution makes it feel very locked in on my helicopters and the telemetry is fantastic. The options for each aircraft is very simple and works very well. I also have a 14 channel futaba and also love it but it's overwhelming to program if I don't use it monthly. Looking forward to the dx18 release.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 AM
RogerParrett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the DX8 does everything you need, you will find the 8FGS to be an overkill. My everyday TX is a Futaba 12FG.

I had the DX8 last year and from a programming perspective, found it limiting. On the other hand, the gimbles were silky smooth. Loved the backlighting, and telemetry was a nice feature.

The DX8 - in airplane mode - does not save trim settings when you switch conditions. The manual says it does, but in fact it does not - this was confirmed by a call to Horizon Hobby and later from Spektrum engineers. The LHS where I bought the TX initially refused to take it back, even after I pointed out the documentation error and said the TX would not suit my purpose. (This was about six months ago. Perhaps now they've either changed the documentation or fixed the bug.)

Finally, Spek stepped in and worked a deal so I could return it. I still do business with Spek as they proved once again to be an upfront company. The LHS, after being a loyal customer for almost 10 years, lost my business.

I have friends who fly the DX8 - and they all love it.

But I'd be wary of trying to compare the programming capabilities of the two systems - they are two different beasts... but the DX8 gimbles are awesome....lol

r/s... Roger
Old 04-05-2012, 10:28 AM
acdii

I did find the DX8 easy to fly with, much better than the DX6i I was using. 

I have yet to use the Futaba though, but I got it for my Mustang, and it was the special that came with 2 RX, so I have one in my Kadet. I just feel the manual could be better written for the Futaba, but once I do get it programmed it should suit my needs just fine. 
Old 04-05-2012, 11:52 AM
AndyKunz

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: RogerParrett

If the DX8 does everything you need, you will find the 8FGS to be an overkill. My everyday TX is a Futaba 12FG.

I had the DX8 last year and from a programming perspective, found it limiting. On the other hand, the gimbles were silky smooth. Loved the backlighting, and telemetry was a nice feature.

The DX8 - in airplane mode - does not save trim settings when you switch conditions. The manual says it does, but in fact it does not - this was confirmed by a call to Horizon Hobby and later from Spektrum engineers. The LHS where I bought the TX initially refused to take it back, even after I pointed out the documentation error and said the TX would not suit my purpose. (This was about six months ago. Perhaps now they've either changed the documentation or fixed the bug.)

Finally, Spek stepped in and worked a deal so I could return it. I still do business with Spek as they proved once again to be an upfront company. The LHS, after being a loyal customer for almost 10 years, lost my business.

But I'd be wary of trying to compare the programming capabilities of the two systems - they are two different beasts... but the DX8 gimbles are awesome....lol

r/s... Roger
Yes, Roger, the DX8 does and always has had Flight Mode trims. If you go to the Trim Setup menu, change the mode from Normal to FMode, that activates it. It has operated this way since long before version 1.0.

I know, I wrote it.

Andy
Old 04-05-2012, 12:27 PM
acdii

Does the telemetry module it comes with have inputs for two battery voltages? I want to monitor and set alarms for the flight pack and ignition pack along with cyl temps on my Deweyville.  It is my first gas plane with a DLE 20. I want to be able to log the flight times so I have a baseline for when I get my Mustang completed and the DLE installed in it.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:11 PM
AndyKunz

The TM1000 includes provides two voltage reports. One of them is the voltage on the bus that the receiver is on - this would be your flight pack voltage. It's good for 3.5-9.6V. The other is a high-voltage-capable input that comes with a set of leads. This is the one you would use for your ignition pack. Note that the text in the DX8 seems to be more oriented toward electric flying, but the inputs you want are there.

The TM1000 also has a temperature input that you can use for your cylinder head or EGT (only 1 temperature). For a high-temp installation you would probably want to change the insulation on the sensor to a high-temp one. The sensor itself is good up to about 700F from what I recall. Hopefully your cylinders don't go there!

The TM1000 also includes an RPM input. You can get a Hall Effect sensor that works by watching your crank go past, or it can be used with the timing input. I don't fly ignition (yet, that may change later this summer), so I can't give you the details, but there are a number of guys who have done this on gasoline engines.

Andy
Old 04-05-2012, 06:33 PM
acdii

DOH Iread that in the book! Iforgot that one voltage can be read from the RX connection. Since Irun a DLE20 it has the tach output, so this is a perfect match. Iwill install it next week and see how it works.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:59 AM
RogerParrett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

ORIGINAL: RogerParrett

r/s... Roger
Yes, Roger, the DX8 does and always has had Flight Mode trims. If you go to the Trim Setup menu, change the mode from Normal to FMode, that activates it. It has operated this way since long before version 1.0.

I know, I wrote it.

Andy
Hi Andy. I need to be bit more specific. On page 17, the manual states:

"Rotate the roller to highlight Trim Type and press to access.
Select F-Mode (each flight mode has its own trims) or Common (trim are always common regardless of flight mode)."

When F-Mode is selected in Airplane Mode, in fact, the L.Trim and R.Trims are not saved. Again, this was confirmed by Horizon Hobby. After they confirmed this, they worked a deal with the LHS so I could return the TX.

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean the four normal trims.

On the other hand, if the software is fixed and L / R.Trims are saved across Flight Modes, I'll buy the DX8 again. Except for that bug, I really liked it.

r/s... Roger
Old 04-06-2012, 11:21 AM
AndyKunz

Thanks for the clarification, Roger.

The L/R trimmers are treated as if they were analog inputs, that is, they aren't flight-mode specific. This is a great suggestion for a feature, though, and I'll put it in the database for updates. Who knows, it may happen sooner than you expect.

Andy