Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Retrival Ideas

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Retrival Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Jackal1983

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrival Ideas

Come on guys how do you retrive your boat when it conks out?

Im thinking of buying an electric tug boat to retrive!!!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Retrival Ideas

I saw a father and son retrieving a sailboat that lost radio signal and they tied two large truck tire inner tubes together and had a wood platform tied to the second inner tube. The father rowed out to the boat and the son on the other tube put the boat on with him and they rowed back to shore.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:02 AM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pick a good lake to run in first, one that the wind will blow your boat back to you, and a tennis ball on a fishing pole works great,
Old 04-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The rod and reel with a tennis ball works OK for dead boats that are within casting range but depending on how and why you have to retrieve a boat you may want another option. I take a Wal-mart 2-man inflatable boat with me, that, the oars and a electric pump for just under $50.00 will do the job. If the boat flips or gets hung up in weeds or whatever a little tug boat won't do you any good as then you may end up by trying to get 2 boats back.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Craig Dicko

Personally I would only ever run my boats when there is a rescue boat available.

The short clip below shows what happened when mine flipped over before I had sufficient buoyancy in the mid to rear section. Without the rescue boat I could have been waiting a long time to recover it by the other methods mentioned including wind!

Thankfully once rescued the radio box remained dry.

I'd recommend your volume turned up for this clip if you decide to view it

www.youtube.com/watch

Craig

Old 04-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Jackal1983

i use a rod and a tennis ball know!!!

The ultimate is for a dingy!!! i'll have a look around!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is that retrievel boat made of plastic or fiberglass ? I haven't been been able to find one small enough to fit in the back of my van.Do you know the manufacturer ? I used to have an 8' Sevylor with a converted Homelite on it.It wasn't fast ,but my arms weren't wore out anymore from rowing.Had to blow it up every time I went out.A little one like the one in the video would do. http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...IMG_0006-2.jpg
Old 04-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Craig Dicko

Hi
The boat in the video is not fibreglass. It seems to be made of a type of polyethyleneand has a wheel in the base of the hull for easy moving and launching. If you search the internet for Plastimo Rigid Tender you should find similar examples for sale. And probably on Ebay.

I acutally feel safer in this type of boat as opposed to an inflatable because you don't need to worry about a sharp prop blade potentially puncturing an air compartment.

Also we usually use the 12 volt outboard and take oars so that we have a back up propulsion method.

Cheers
Craig

Old 04-04-2012, 03:02 PM
madmorgan
My Feedback: (2)

a 2 hundred dollar flat bottom kayak from dicks is the way im going this year.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:00 AM
F1TUNNEL

I like the blow up dingy and elec pump combo, pumps 3 chambers in about 5 mins from car cig lighter and rolls up to not much, the paddle is the biggest thing and they are pretty stable.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:27 AM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

The rod and reel with a tennis ball works OK for dead boats that are within casting range but depending on how and why you have to retrieve a boat you may want another option. I take a Wal-mart 2-man inflatable boat with me, that, the oars and a electric pump for just under $50.00 will do the job. If the boat flips or gets hung up in weeds or whatever a little tug boat won't do you any good as then you may end up by trying to get 2 boats back.

that i what i ended up doing, wish i would have got the 2 man, cheaped out on the 1 man. Did get two collapsible oars and the pump though. Weeds could get your rc rescue boat stuck, you could have mechanical failure, Your vision can fail you, ( once you get 200+ ft offshore things start looking small it is hard to line up the rescue with a rc rescue boat.) I had a killer rc rescue jet boat, tons of low end push and maneuverable, but it was still a PITA to line the slip on the rescue boat up with my downed boat. And that is with a little 30 inch electric boat, couldn't imagine trying to pull a big ole gas boat full of water from a flip back to shore with a rescue boat would be a challenge to say the least.

I say get the 50 dollar set up from walmart and bring a rug or blanket you can set your rescued boat on so the prop, rudder, trim tabs, turnfin, or anything else that happens to be sharp doesn't puncture the boat.

So Plus 1 on wal mart set up.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:41 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

They fool you on the sizes. A one-man will fit a small kid, a two-man is just the right size for the majority of us. Bought a 3-man once but it was too big and I sat too low which made it harder to get the dead boat. A towel or something similar does help to keep the sharp objects from piercing the PVC. Look for the black oars as the blue and yellow ones break easily.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:20 AM
Johnnysplits

I use a pos electric speedboat of which I attached an eyehook to the transom. Then I clip the line from my fishing pole to it, flip the bail open, drive the electric boat out to the dead one, drive around it 1 1/2 times, then reel everything in.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:57 AM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the one man is rated for 190 lbs, i"m only 160. It does fine, but i do take on a little water if i get in it too hard. I was worried about the 2 man getting too big. Now i know to get that one if my one man ever springs a leak.

Again the fishing line works until the only thing sticking out of the water is the bow. Hard to catch a rudder or prop a foot or so under water.

I all boaters should have a fishing reel with tennis ball or something like that for the stalls or crashes that happen just off shore, but for the ones that happen coming out of lets say corner 2 at legg lake. I don't know anybody that can cast that far.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:25 AM
deslok113

The coolest retrieval device I ever saw was a crossbow! This guy put putty on the tips of the quarrel and then some kind of sticky goo over the putty. The tip was soft and VERY sticky. He would tie a string/rope to the quarrel and then..Shoot! Kind of like BowFishing!
Besides a fetcher boat (canoe, pirogue, dingy, or flatboat) I use a fishing pole with a tennis ball with a fishing weight on the top part. I can really put that thing far, easily over 100yrds!! But most of the time I take my RC boats on "fishing trips" in my big boat. I anchor the big boat in the middle of the Bayou and then use the kicker motor to troll to the stalled RC boat.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Jackal1983

I have a PWC in the garage but the lakes where the RC boat can go the PWC cant!!!!
Looking at something like this!! but cant find anything in Production yet.
http://www.gadgetreview.com/2011/07/foldable-canoe.html