Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Composite-Arf rookie questions

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Composite-Arf rookie questions

Old 01-08-2006, 09:08 PM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Composite-Arf rookie questions

It will be fine. I have flown one with the P-70 and it was also fine.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Mavpro

I'm almost about to be finished, and wonder how well it will handle off our grass runway. It's about 115 metres long, a bit bumpy, and I wonder if I will have to mount some bigger wheels... I have the Eurokit standard brake-wheels. Are these too small? My engine is the Simjet 1200 GE which puts out 8 kg thrust. I keep trying to get the plane as light as possible, using only two wing servos and the Jettronics valves. No boxes and one 5 cell Sanyo KR 1800 SCE battery pack. The engine battery is 2200 mAh 7,4 V LiPo. I've installed the "original" fuelcell @2,5 ltr, and will top it up with the UAT. As far as I can see, ther is no way to build it lighter, and hopefully, the thrust vectoring wil help it off...?
Old 03-19-2010, 01:24 AM
Old Claw
My Feedback: (1)

Anyone here had experience with both the Mk l Rookie and the new model with canards? I have a Mk l with a P80 and it does everything. My mate has a P80 SE, which sends it very well. Another guy in our club is running a P120. Very fast. Anyway. I'm thinking of getting one of the stretched Rookies with canards. Any comments. Dear old Cliff
Old 03-19-2010, 01:50 AM
Old Claw
My Feedback: (1)

Anyone here had experience with both the Mk l Rookie and the new model with canards? I have a Mk l with a P80 and it does everything. My mate has a P80 SE, which sends it very well. Another guy in our club is running a P120. Very fast. Anyway. I'm thinking of getting one of the stretched Rookies with canards. Any comments. Dear old Cliff 
Old 03-19-2010, 02:30 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 731 Likes on 527 Posts

Cliff

I have a Mk 1 Harpoon/Rookie, A Mk II Harpoon and have had a Rookie that I sold. The Rookie tracks slightly better with the long nose, the canards on the Short nose Harpoon Rookie don't really add much-maybe it turns slightly tighter at slow speeds and takes off with them active in a yard or two less.

It's mainly the look/Colour scheme that makes the choice, the Rookie canopy opening is much easier to work with. P80SE would be a perfect turbine, I've flown my set with a P60, P80, P120 and Booster 160!

Dave Wilshere
Old 04-05-2012, 03:32 AM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI everyone,
It was mentioned in the manual to use the supplied screws to mount the servos.
I have noticed that these screws are of a bigger diameter then the standard servo screws.
As a result they do not fit the brass washer supplied with the servo.
How are you supposed to screw these in?
Do I just force them in, and make them fit?
If I use the standard screws supplied with the servos they seem to small to bite into the pre drilled plywood supplied.
Any ideas?
Your help is much appreciated.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:43 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some Hitec & JR brass washers are of a bigger dia, you will also notice the slight reduction in dia on the non flanged side of some brass washers, these can be drilled out if the screw will fit into the flanged end.

Lots of people do not use the supplied rubber and brass washers and just screw the servo directly onto the ply servo mount, I suppose with the low vibration of turbines this can be a viable alternative, however the line and level of the control push rods can be compromised by doing this.

You will love the Rookie, one of the best kept secrets of the all composite world, those that say it will bounce are just landing too fast, don't believe a word they say LOL, with the canards acting as a brake and up vector on landing the Rookie will slow down beautifully and settle onto the mains without any trouble.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 04-05-2012, 04:14 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have a picture of the canards being used as a brake? I'm wanting to try it but not sure how much to put into it..
Old 04-05-2012, 05:34 AM
BaldEagel

Anywhere from 65degs upwards, I started out with about 80degs, but after a few posts from those who have been using them longer started to experiment with less, with 65degs the nose will lift upon application and you will have to wait for the ballooning to subside prior to landing, with 80degs the balooning is less, but the drop in speed is almost immediate especially if using reflexed ailerons as well, the nose does will not lift as much so you have to be careful not to land on the nose wheel first, this is what caused the infamous bouncing that some on here said was a trait of the Rookie.

In the end I put the canard and reflex on a side slider and used this to control the approach with a fairly high power setting and nose high attitude.

Mike
Old 04-05-2012, 06:52 AM
roo

Mike, if you deploy the canards in a turn the short lived nose up effect is disguised, same goes for the flap. Learned this tip from Bennie in AMT years ago. Paul.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:58 AM
BaldEagel

This is true if you have to pull lots of up when in a turn, but not with the C of G set to the optimum for vectored thrust operation.

Mike
Old 04-05-2012, 12:46 PM
roo

Yes, been there, changed the underpants!! :-). Paul.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Justflying1

Hi Mike,
Thank you for the information. Unfortunately all my brass washers on my Hitec 7985 servos are all to small. There does not seem enough meat on the washer for it to be drilled out.
I will just mount them using the rubber inserts only as I don’t like the idea of leaving these out as well.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:03 PM
BaldEagel

The alternative is to CA a tooth pick into the pre drilled hole and re-drill the size you want.

Mike
Old 03-02-2013, 01:25 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

So sad that sooooooooo many nice photos in these forums just went Poof. With that, does anyone still have photos of their Rookie II with Todd's pro link retracts? Would love to see how you set up your steering. Thanks.

Roy
Old 03-02-2013, 02:40 PM
DrScoles

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Are these images gone forever? I think the build threads are one of the BEST parts of this forum. It seems like someone in the jet community could have set up a forum that would compete with RCU. Dreamworks comes to mind.... ;-)
Old 03-02-2013, 04:10 PM
hooker53

Hey Doc. It would seem that they are. I'm sure they are on a hard drive somewhere but the site dropped the links to them and poof. I would love to see how folks set their front steering up and know it was on this thread but, no more. Did you ever rebuild your Rookie Doc?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Plane Insane
My Feedback: (4)

At least for the time being, you can probably still get the photos that you want out of the threads via Google Images.    Put in something relating to the thread and what the photo is and you'll likely see them, albeit not exactly in order I'm guessing.  

Hopefully they'll be able to restore all the photos from backups if nothing else..

Old 03-02-2013, 06:45 PM
DrScoles

ORIGINAL: hooker53

Hey Doc. It would seem that they are. I'm sure they are on a hard drive somewhere but the site dropped the links to them and poof. I would love to see how folks set their front steering up and know it was on this thread but, no more. Did you ever rebuild your Rookie Doc?
Nope, don't have the skill or time to do it. Gave it to someone in Canada as a donor. Just glad to have it out of my shop. I'm afraid I've been collecting jets at too fast a pace for the space in my garage
Old 03-02-2013, 07:06 PM
hooker53

Doc. Welcome to my world and prop planes to boot. Ha. Did you have yours setup with two wing surfaces (elevons) or the four servo setup? Just can't decide on that one for some reason.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:37 PM
DrScoles

Mine had two servos in each wing. I didn't build it, not sure what the ideal set up is.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:53 PM
hooker53

Understand that. Hope you feel better. I've had that same disorder. No fun.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:02 PM
hooker53

Did anyone cut their speed brake bigger then the normal 60mm X 230mm? The scorings on mine is larger then that.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:34 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: hooker53

Did anyone cut their speed brake bigger then the normal 60mm X 230mm? The scorings on mine is larger then that.
Lots of people did and then complain that the air brake does not operate properly, the problem is once you go outside the size recommended you put a curve on the brake and undersurface of the fus this then prevent full operation, advice is don't do it, use the Canard at 80degs as an additional air brake if you require to slow down more, the infamous Rookie/Kangaroo bounce on landing is caused by landing too fast, not landing nose leg first or any other excuse, its just landing to fast and not with the nose up, well that's my experience anyway, hope that helps.

Mike
Old 03-04-2013, 03:11 PM
hooker53

Mike. Your input means a lot. There was a question on this myself and that's why I ask. Think I may just cut it as per the instructions. I've also found out that any of them will Kangaroo if you come in too hot. Every one of them has their own envelope.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.