Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Lins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: Dash7ATP

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

The post that Jay was talking about was from 2007. Mitch has been taking care of the T shirt business for the past few years. I doubt that any shirts are available at this time. Maybe we need to look at another run. The first one was Tan, next was Maroon, and now Navy. I don't know which color to go with for version 4.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Sky Blue, Red, almost anything but green.

Joe
Brown!!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:44 AM
aminiet

My vote is for Black

Angel
Old 04-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Jaybird

Sorry! Didn't mean to stir the t-shirt pot!

I would like one though!

Jaybird
Old 04-06-2012, 08:57 AM
lazyace
My Feedback: (126)

yellow gets my vote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:10 AM
rcjunky67

hey Bill,Robert Abel brother#222 here. As I'm new to this forum , I was'nt around for the previous shirt's, and I was curious,did they have individuall brotherhood #'s on them too? And I'd love to have one if there's gonna be another run. Not too particular about color , but I think black would be cool.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We thought about putting the number on the sleeve, but it would have added too much to the cost, and would have become a logistical nightmare. I don't see anything wrong with you adding your number to the sleeve with an iron on decal.

The colors are not up for discussion, but will be decided upon by the T shirt committee (Mitch and I) We don't want to duplicate any pre-existing color, and the availability of suitable shirts makes a difference as well. The transfer also limits us to what colors will work. A yellow shirt with a yellow transfer is out of the question.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 04-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Dash7ATP

We thought about putting the number on the sleeve, but it would have added too much to the cost, and would have become a logistical nightmare. I don't see anything wrong with you adding your number to the sleeve with an iron on decal.

The colors are not up for discussion, but will be decided upon by the T shirt committee (Mitch and I) We don't want to duplicate any pre-existing color, and the availability of suitable shirts makes a difference as well. The transfer also limits us to what colors will work. A yellow shirt with a yellow transfer is out of the question.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Ican live with the committee choice, but light colors are much preferred here in the South where it gets pretty darn hot in the summer sun! Ido like yellow, biege, light blue, orange, even white. Black or Brown, noooooooooo..........
Old 04-06-2012, 12:21 PM
rone1948

I would like an x-Large if possible

Thanks Ron # 213
Old 04-06-2012, 03:39 PM
rccrasher65
My Feedback: (35)

Hey gents I'll take a few large shirts if another run is decided upon I missed the last run. Bill and Mitch what ever is decided. thanks for all your effort. Light blue would be nice also. I think the demand is here for another run . the brotherhood is growing very fast. Once again thanks for all your effort. George

Old 04-06-2012, 04:55 PM
JoeAverage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

JoeA,

No need to shout though a megaphone. You seem to be implying that a brotherhood member has the molds. I tend to doubt that as the brotherhood members are generally generous and help each other out whenever we can.

If the parts that are in your pictures are in your possession and are in good shape, reverse engineer them and make new molds from them. Whoops, I see that is what you intend to do if you can find the parts. If that is not possible, it may be time to carve new patterns for the molds from the plans.

If anyone here has a clue or any information, please get in touch with JoeAverage and help him out, it is at least the third time he has requested help in finding the molds.

In post 13613 I offered to sell the molds. The nature of them prevents me from wanting to send them across the border to be used as patterns and then sent back. Chances are they would not come back in the same shape for a myriad of reasons. No one contacted me to purchase them leaving me believing that they were only of interest to borrow for the purpose of copying.

When I have them sitting here in a couple of boxes why would I want more of them. It would have been easier for whoever wants them to buy them than make the 11 pieces that it takes to fab the 7 piece set of parts. 11 molds altogether as the cowl is a 3 piece mold.

Just for clarity, once again, I have all the molds for the 25% Effinger Waco D sitting here with all the other rare molds that other parts manufacturers do not have for the subjects I wanted to build when the molds became available for sale from the defunct parts builder.

I tried to make the Waco D parts available to the person who wanted them. READ my post.

I had a parts manufactufacturer make my parts from them. Making parts isn't as easy as just slapping resin and fabric in the molds. In my next post, the loud one, I could only assume that my offer to sell was no good. It seemed that unless I offerred to pack them up at my own expense and mail them off then I might get some interest.

Had I not gone through the posts to see if SuperCub Man was posting anymore ARE photos I would not have seen John's submission that again for the 3rd time I was looking for another another set of Waco D molds.

I can't sell the 25% Effinger Waco D molds I've got John. Mind you I only offered them for sale once. When no one accepted I was indignant. Guys here on this thread help each other out as you know. I have decided to use them for Pitts Samson parts, maybe. Go back and read 13613. I made 2 posts total regarding the said parts till now. If you find the 3rd request I made for these parts, let me know. If you find the find the first two requests I made wanting to buy these parts, let me know. Please. Just for clarity. Use quotes.

You are almost right about one thing. I'm not an esteemed member of the Brotherhood but I do have the molds and the green parts that the original seller made using that old polyester as well.

Best Regards.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:52 AM
nine o nine
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Jaybird, There are 3 medium shirts available from the last navy blue run. Send $45 to: Mitch Epstein 651 N. Main St Leominster, MA
Include your name and address and I'll send them right out to you.
There are no other shirts available at this time. I'll talk over the next run (need orders for 50) with Bill. Thanks, Mitch WB100
Old 04-07-2012, 12:07 PM
rcjunky67

hey Mitch,I'd like to get two , XXL shirt's if you and Bill decide the demand warant's another run. I'd like one for myself and I'd like to send one to my father in-law, also a lover of all thing's WACO, for father's day... Thanks , I'll keep my eye on the forum to see what ya'll decide to do.
ORIGINAL: nine o nine

Hi Jaybird, There are 3 medium shirts available from the last navy blue run. Send $45 to: Mitch Epstein 651 N. Main St Leominster, MA
Include your name and address and I'll send them right out to you.
There are no other shirts available at this time. I'll talk over the next run (need orders for 50) with Bill. Thanks, Mitch WB100
Old 04-07-2012, 02:08 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those interested this is the cowl from fibertech n more for the 1/5 scale Waco YMF.

http://www.fibertechnmore.com/store/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16476.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1747805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29787.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1747806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23890.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1747807  
Old 04-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Dash7ATP

ORIGINAL: mrdhud

For those interested this is the cowl from fibertech n more for the 1/5 scale Waco YMF.

http://www.fibertechnmore.com/store/
Iordered mine two weeks ago along with the wheel pants. Thus far, Ihaven't heard a thing..........

Joe

Old 04-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Jaybird

Jay,

Your bottom wing incidence should be at zero. Your top wing will probably fall somewhere in the 1 degree range either plus or minus. I prefer minus one. The horizontal stab should be somewhere in the 2-2.5 degree range (positive) range. These will be good base numbers for you to start.

With the bottom wing set at zero (just block up the tail until the wing zeros out, and then go from there. Use the bottom wing as your base and everything else should fall in place. You can place a strip of tape along the fuse to represent the datum line then, and work out your engine thrust line from there. That's another thing that I don't like about a model that someone else built. You have to put too much trust into what they did. Everyone seems to think that the GP Waco flies well, so I'd say that they are following the instructions of whomever did the design work.

Your numbers are right on. I dry fit everything together to show my father who was visiting for an early Easter dinner. With my incidence meters on it, it came out just as you said with the bottom wing at zero, top wing minus one and stab at positive 2-1/2. He was pretty impressed with the size and look of it.

Another question for the GP ARF owners. Has anyone tried unbolting the interplane strut brackets from the wing panels instead of the struts themselves? It occured to me that unbolting the bracket and leaving it attached to the strut would save having to handle the screws, washers and locknuts at odd angles to remove the strut per the insrtructions. It would also make them easier to identify right and left.

I also found the modification to the upper wing where they left the center panel bolted to the cabane struts and made the outer panels slide in and secure with a through bolt. I simulated it today and it works great.

Jaybird

Name:	Vs55473.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1747852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26964.jpg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1747853  
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2012, 05:31 PM
rccrasher65

Joe be patient, mine took awhile too. Those parts are made to order, they do not stockpile parts, as I was told. George

Old 04-08-2012, 03:35 PM
maimer

Will someone have the wing and fuse tamplates? I have the plans, but I'm missing the templates I'm from Argentina, and I will really love to build the Wavo 1/5, I will really appreciate the help
Old 04-09-2012, 02:52 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: maimer

Will someone have the wing and fuse tamplates? I have the plans, but I'm missing the templates I'm from Argentina, and I will really love to build the Wavo 1/5, I will really appreciate the help

Did you buy the plans from the AMA? You might contact their plan department and inquire about purchasing the templates only.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 04-09-2012, 06:04 AM
rcjunky67

ORIGINAL: Jaybird

Jay,

Your bottom wing incidence should be at zero. Your top wing will probably fall somewhere in the 1 degree range either plus or minus. I prefer minus one. The horizontal stab should be somewhere in the 2-2.5 degree range (positive) range. These will be good base numbers for you to start.

With the bottom wing set at zero (just block up the tail until the wing zeros out, and then go from there. Use the bottom wing as your base and everything else should fall in place. You can place a strip of tape along the fuse to represent the datum line then, and work out your engine thrust line from there. That's another thing that I don't like about a model that someone else built. You have to put too much trust into what they did. Everyone seems to think that the GP Waco flies well, so I'd say that they are following the instructions of whomever did the design work.

Your numbers are right on. I dry fit everything together to show my father who was visiting for an early Easter dinner. With my incidence meters on it, it came out just as you said with the bottom wing at zero, top wing minus one and stab at positive 2-1/2. He was pretty impressed with the size and look of it.

Another question for the GP ARF owners. Has anyone tried unbolting the interplane strut brackets from the wing panels instead of the struts themselves? It occured to me that unbolting the bracket and leaving it attached to the strut would save having to handle the screws, washers and locknuts at odd angles to remove the strut per the insrtructions. It would also make them easier to identify right and left.

I also found the modification to the upper wing where they left the center panel bolted to the cabane struts and made the outer panels slide in and secure with a through bolt. I simulated it today and it works great.

Jaybird
hey jaybird, where did you find the info on the upper wing mod? also I like the idea of unbolting the interplane struts from the wing, but I'm leaning towards using jb weld to permenantly attach the nuts to the struts themselves and just keeping the top wing in one piece.you may remember from an earlier post that I'd asked you how you were gonna set up the servo leads in the top wing , did you ever make a final decision? I guess if your gonna keep the wing as a three piece unit that ytou'll be running each lead down each side of the cabanes?and thanks for the other info you have posted.take care...
Old 04-09-2012, 06:18 AM
Jaybird

I found the thread back over on RC Groups. My plan is to run a lead up both cabanes. I've cut a second hole through the front cockpit and side to match the first one. I also plan modify the wing attachment by putting blocks inside the wing roots next to the dihedral brace boxes and putting in small brass 4-40 threaded inserts in from the bottom. I'll then use a nylon langing gear strap to connect the two pieces near both braces. That way the screws can go straight in and I don't have to angle one of the blocks to match the dihedral angle.

Here is the RC Groups thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post21223516

Made good progress with the covering iron last night, but there are some very stubborn spots on the tail and nose. Some of the covering is pretty sloppy and the cuts are ragged. The black leading edge and red stripes on the vertical fin run off to one side as they reach the top of the fuselage and don't match up with head rest piece.

Jaybird
Old 04-09-2012, 06:23 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"but I'm leaning towards using jb weld to permenantly attach the nuts to the struts themselves and just keeping the top wing in one piece.J

Just keep in mind that JB Weld is no more than epoxy with some black stuff added in for color.

Les
Old 04-09-2012, 09:53 AM
mrdhud

Hello all,

Finished one wing tip on top wing looks good to me I’ll get Bill to check it out when I see him at Top Gun. I have traced a set of patterns and will post them as soon as I can scan them to my computer. You will see the front spar has been moved to the proper location and I have trimmed the ribs down so to use cap strips. I didn’t use cap strips on w-7 & w-8 felt it would be easer to final sand with out using cap strip. Using 1/8” dowel to support the tip bow made it vary solid.
Thank again Bill for all your help on getting to this point. Hopefully this will be of some help to others.

Name:	Lj22534.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1748654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10125.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1748655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89298.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1748656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25831.jpg
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1748657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nz28388.jpg
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1748658  
Old 04-09-2012, 10:00 AM
mrdhud

Here are the patterns hope they print out ok.

Name:	Fd93172.gif
Views:	36
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1748659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12604.gif
Size:	495.4 KB
ID:	1748660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq36068.gif
Views:	28
Size:	445.4 KB
ID:	1748661  
Old 04-09-2012, 10:29 AM
rccrasher65

Dan, wing tip mods look great. What did you use for spar material? Looks like plywood of some kind. I'm using Straight grain Southern yellow pine, very strong and light. great job on the wings. George
Old 04-09-2012, 10:51 AM
mrdhud

Hi George,

I used 3/8 ply for the spars I felt a solid piece would be stronger then splicing pine and adding 1/8 ply to reinforce it. Time will tell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.