Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Mig 27 Foam Drone,, Carl Goldberg

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Mig 27 Foam Drone,, Carl Goldberg

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mig 27 Foam Drone,, Carl Goldberg

I might be interested in one of them, whats that, 3 planes to a box??
Old 05-23-2009, 02:55 PM
R/C Skyjumper

Call me on these as I live in Andover mn and would like to have these
Don 612 385 7601
Old 09-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Army MiG-27 pilot

Wow, it's been very interesting reading all about other RC pilots' experiences with MYfavorite, the old RS model of the Mig-27 Flogger D! (FQM-117B, I think.)

I was a 16R3H in the U.S. Army in '84 (might have been as early as late '83) stationed at FTBliss, TX, when the S-3 (Operations) Assistant OIC told me I was being sent to RCMAT (Radio Controlled Miniature Aerial Targets) School for six weeks. I had a buttload of various regular duties in Operations and initially resisted, but to no avail. I wound up having the time of my life in that school! Imagine being PAID to build and fly model airplanes! It was a BLAST!

We flew the Delta Wing RCMAT in that school: .61 2-strokes, either HB or K&B. Most Army RCMAT pilots swore by the K&B .61 with a Perry carb, but I always preferred the HB, with or w/o a Perry the HB carb worked just fine, in my humble opinion. I liked the HB .61 better, I guess, because it was easier to tune and maintain acceptable throttle control, in my experience, anyway.

I didn't flya lot of the Delta Wings, maybe a couple of hundred total in about six months or so. Bear in mind that MOST of the planes I piloted were either shot down almost immediately or ended up crashing because of some defect or another (not necessarily in design, although I tend to think that IS possible). Most defects were operator-based, either because of beginner-level flying skills (mine and the other 3 soldiers from my unit who attended the school with me) or beginner-level assembly/repairs. Perhaps some of those crashes NOT attributable to pilot error were just results of using an old engine one time too many, who knows?

I never liked the Delta Wing very much, mostly because it was SO difficult to fly! Easy to build, I'll grant you that: with a couple of privates having moderate mechanical aptitude, we could build 100 a day! Those were VERY long "Army days," mind you. Still, at times we HAD to build that many because of planes being shot down so quickly or crashing due to pilot error/mechanical defects.

Then The Flogger appeared! OMG, I was almost instantly IN LOVE! Ralph Fernandez, a retired Army warrant officer whom I'd known when stationed with him at a Chaparral/Vulcan Battalion in Germany several years earlier, was one of the RSSystems Training Representatives who appeared at FTBliss to train me, my fellow unit pilots and a whole bunch of other RCMAT pilots from various Army and National Guard units. We spent a couple or three days in the classroom learning how to build and repair the Mig-27s, then out to the desert to FLY! I had my left ankle in a cast because of a sprain, yet still it was a DREAM learning how to fly those wonderful birds! Under Ralph's expert tutelage, of course: for example, I was never taught how to "flare" on landing until Ralph taught me. Despite my limited mobility, I earned a score of 96% on my Final Checkout Flight. That was one of the most enjoyable 2-week schools, heck, 2-weeks of DUTY in my entire Army career!

I flew the MiG-27 at Fort Bliss (Biggs Field, White Sands) for a couple of years before being transferred to Hawaii. We played around and made a few modifications, of course, but we seldom had the time or resources to do much of anything creative. In Hawaii, being on an unaccompanied tour (without wife and kids: they stayed in El Paso, TX, while I was in Hawaii) I had a lot more time and, because of a lucrative part-time job, a lot more disposable income to get REALLY creative. And I also met a lot more RCmodelers, too, who would eagerly trade for stuff we (the Army) hadtons of (like 5-minute epoxy and props: we had footlockers full!). So I got spinners for props, landing gear (no retracts, doggone it!), fuel pumps (I think I actually bought some of those), bigger engines, etc., etc.

Along with a couple of different PFCs/Spec.4s, we flew several times for infantry units of the 25th Infantry Division, Schofield Barracks, HI. Those guys could SHOOT! One squad of 13 or 14 guys, all M-16s and just one M-60 machine gun, could DEVASTATE our "fleet" of several dozen aircraft ina single afternoon! The "grunts" had a good time, really enjoying the principles of Small Arms Air Defense when a squad's combined fire knocked a plane out of the sky!

When our C/V battalion went to Pacific Missile Range Facility Barking Sands on the island of Kauai, several times a year, for either practice or qualification with the 20mm Vulcan air defense guns, we got a LOT more flying time and, of course, a lot more BUILDING/REPAIR time. Thanks to a U.S. Navy RC planclub composed of mostly enlisted men (and one 0-6) stationed at PMRF, we became a lot more creative. Again, we traded old shot-up airframes, epoxy, propellers, fuel tanks, etc., for a lot of different components. I managed to get my hands on an F-16! It was SWEET! And INCREDIBLY fast! A lot lighter than the MiG-27, with the same (.61) engine, the F-16 could fly circles around the MiG! With a Super Tiger .90, though, the F-16 was untouchable: no RC plane in PMRF's RC planeclub could come close to it! The same can be said for the MiG-27 with an OS Max 1.08 = untouchable! Not sure if the F-16 was also made by RSSystems, but it wassignificantly smaller and lighter than the MiG-27.

Regarding all the discussion here on CG, which I assume is Center of Gravity, we always established CG just by balancing a plane on a thin board (width-wise, along the wings from tip to tip). Why do complex math formulas? Unnecessary. Just make your modifications, then balance the plane and mark your CG. Simple. Easy.

Landing gear: always home-made fabrications except for nose-wheel. Piece of quarter-inch plywood, about 4"X8", epoxied to CG under wings on fuselage, then screw landing gear to that. Usually used a fabricated sheet-metal spar with two approx. 3" balloon-type rubber tires. The spar screwed directly into the plywood using 3 or 4 screws. I'd have to draw you a picture, I guess: no photos or videos remain of all those fun days of fabrication and flying, unfortunately. I preferred a steerable nose wheel vs. steerable tail wheel. Reason: to keep the prop from chewing into grass (sand, asphalt), which was often a problem on landing by less-experienced pilots, sometimes resulting in a head-over-heels tumbling and destruction of a perfectly good plane!

Once flew a MiG with EIGHT 16-oz. fuel tanks! Kept it up more than an hour 'til the engine finally died and I had to glide it back. Extra tanks mounted in the fuselage under the wings, of course, and with a couple of fuel pumps. Yes, this arrangement required a bit of trial-and-error 'til we got it right. We learned that it was much more practical to fly with just one or two tanks, though, since the extra weight made for a REALLY slow plane until the last 20-30 minutes of flight.

All of the RS MiGs I personally built, repaired, modified and flew already had the aluminum spars in the fuselage and wings, so we never experienced a problem with structural integrity unless we did something stupid, like getting shot down or running into a tree!

Record for "combat" missions? At Kauai, PMRF, when flying in front of a dozen or so Vulcans on the north beach, I had a MiG that did 14 flights in front of the guns before one of my Privates deliberately turned on another transmitter and drove the plane into the drink (the ocean). That a%$#@*!! Yeah, I chewed him out, but really, that plane probably wouldn't have survived more than another flight or two, anyway, it was so patched up = over 50 holes from 20mm ammo, plugged with pieces of styrofoam from other broken planes and epoxy, shot-up ailerons and elevator repaired with popsicle sticks and epoxy, replaced throttle cable and fuel tank(s), etc. It was an ugly old combat veteran, and probably weighed a pound or so more because of all the sticks and epoxy! Most of our planes were lucky to make two or three 10-minute (one 16oz. fuel tank) flights in front of the guns without becoming confetti!

The transmitter and receiver had 4 channels, but only 3 were required to control servos for throttle, ailerons and elevator. (I don't remember if we had a rudder, but seems to me that we might have, in which case ailerons/elevator were one servo and the rudder was another.) What to do with the "extra" channel? HAVE FUN! The MOST fun was using a servo to open a "blow-away" styrofoam door in the underside of the fuselage, thus releasing a sandwich baggie containing about 4 ounces of flour! Nope, it didn't make a sound, but was surely a lot of fun when hitting a weapons crew! Ha, ha, he, he, ho, ho! Downside to such "strafing" runs? Since successful delivery of "payload" required a mostly head-on and low-altitudeapproach to a weapon system (20mm Vulcan, or an infantry squad), the odds were pretty good that our attacking plane would becomeconfetti before it successfully hit a weapons crew with flour! And, a lot of times when our attacking MiG wasn't shot out of the sky, we simply MISSED with our bag of flour. This was a learned skill, delivering such a payload ON TARGET, and thus required quite a bit of practice.

Another fun project with the 4th channel: mounted an early model of the Kodak Disc Camera (cheap, about $20-25), this camera was chosen because of its low price, mainly, and the automatic film advance feature. Camera mounted high up on the fuselage in approximately the "cockpit" position (had there been a cockpit), which allowed pictures to be taken without the prop obscuring most of the picture, and also usually didn't get much of that 2% castor oil fuel on the camera, especially the lens. Yeah, we tried mounting the camera under the fuselage, but fuel blow-back pretty much negated the quality of any pictures we could take, not to mention the time-consuming task of cleaning all that fuel off the lens and the rest of the camera and the servo. We DID get some very nice pictures of LOTS of 20mm tracer ammo coming at our plane! Wish I knew what happened to them. Perhaps the Battalion S-3 still has them, I don't know. After two cameras catching bullets, though, I stopped doing it. While my superiors enjoyed looking at the pictures, nobody wanted to kick in cash to buy another camera, and of course I wasn't about to ask my subordinates to donate money.

When "playing" with our planes, the 4th channel was always used to control the steerable nose wheel. Can't think of any other things we did with the 4th channel, at the moment.

Lot of talk on here about glassing and painting the MiG-27. Why??? Painting, maybe, but adding any more weight via glass? I assume they mean fiberglass coating. Seems to me that the increased aerodynamics (?) would be negated by the extra weight, but I'm no great expert. In the Army we only used spray paint, sometimes, and then sparingly, or more often Magic Markers to "decorate" our planes. Well, sure, we had a different mentality, since our planes were TARGETS. No sense in spending much extra time and money on them if they were subject to being shot down!

About the AH-Hind-24, I had one. I think I might have had a couple of extra airframes, too. We got one up and running, and actually was able to fly it a few times, but always very briefly. It wasn't made a huge priority for me to put one in front of the guns, so it wasn't a huge priority for me to spenda lot of time learning how to fly it. But it was certainly bulky, cumbersome and awkward. No wonder that M.I.T. says it's physically impossible for helicopters and bumblebees to fly!

Right beforeI got out of the Army in March of '88, I called RSSystems and attempted to speak with Ralph Fernandez about getting a job doing what he was doing: teaching U.S. soldiers (and Marines, too, I suspect) and allied soldiers how to build and fly RCMATS. Unfortunately, Ralph had bought and eaten a "camel burger" from a street vendor, contracted food poisoning and DIED. This was in mid-to-late February, if memory serves me correctly. So, with Ralph's demise, there went my one best chance to get a JOB doing what I dearly LOVED.

I've often thought about trying to find another job involving design/testing/manufacture/piloting of RC planes. Maybe one of the readers or contributors on this forum knows of such an opportunity? 'Cause I'm unemployed right now, and WOULD dearly love and greatly enjoy a chance to earn an income flying model planes! Who wouldn't???!!??

Oh, yes, one more contribution I personally made to the field: because our RCMiGs were designed to be hand-launched as targets with no landing gear, it always required at least a two-man team to launch them, one guy to toss the plane into the wind and the pilot to control it. So, since I wasn't always able to get a helper when I wanted to fly just for "training" (FUN!) in my off-duty time, I designed and built a 4-post launching stand. It took about a week or so, part-time, as my other duties permitted, to finally get it right. A holding/launching tray lifted up at about a 35-degree angle when an L-shaped launching mechanism was stepped on, catapulting the plane into the air via a strong rubber chain made entirely of rubber bands. I SHOULD have got some kind of Army dollar-saving award for my design, but never applied for it. This stand made a very useful and practical repair stand as well, since the engine could be test-fired without requiring someone to hold the plane down (like, on a tailgate, or a field table). I suppose I could describe it in more detail if anybody is interested. Or I could draw a very complex picture, with various views, but then that would require me scanning same and then saving it, uploading it, etc. Well, I WILL do so if there's a chance of some financial reward! Heh, heh, heh, probably not much chance of that.

I would be very interested in corresponding with any current soldiers or Marines who are (or have been) involved in flying RC planes as targets, especially the old MiG-27s!

And, hopefully, when I'm again gainfully employed and have some "disposable" income, I'd also like to buy some of those old MiGs and get back into the hobby! This "blogging" here has awakened some very fond old memories!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:49 PM
eagledancer

wow, i just was reading this last post, i HAVE one of these migs, its a r/s systems. heres the really weird part, i lived on Kawaii 85-86 and was a member of that r/c club...barking sands r/c club. my step mother was in the navy and stationed at PMRF. i remember sitting off base just north of where you guys were shooting those down and snorkleing out to pick em out of the water!!! talk about a long swim!!! i agree the hb 61 was the best engine they put on those. and i did see the hinds fly. there is a f 16 at a hobby shop close by and have been thinking of picking it up.
some things i did see with these planes, i have seen 3 engine versions, biplane versions, rudder control added. as well as trike gear. even a set of 8 main wheel and 2 nose wheel versions.

todd
Old 01-20-2011, 04:48 PM
networkit

Irealize this thread is old, but Ihave 3 of these planes sitting in my shed.. I am looking to sell 2 of them. Will entertain any serious offers. Ihave a FOX.60 (brand new)engine, as well as props, tanks and accessories. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2011, 02:36 AM
Army MiG-27 pilot

I offer $200 for 2 planes, Fox .60 (brand new) engine, props, tanks and accessories. Let me know if my bid is too high or too low, O.K.? I really, REALLY want this stuff!

Please send pictures of everything you want to sell to me (Army Mig-27 pilot) at [email protected]

I could increase my offer if you include any electronics such as receiver(s), servos, battery pack(s), transmitter, etc., etc. Just be specific when letting me know all you have which you wish to sell, please! And take a bunch of digital pictures for emailing to me! The more pictures, the better the offer! The more detailed and sharply-focused pictures, the better the offer!

I haven't been in the RC flying field in over 20 years, so I accept the possibility that I might be WAY off when it comes to valuation of old(?) planes, parts and accessories. So, please bear with me on this, as it might take a little time. I'm a motivated buyer! I hope you're also a motivated seller!

Would also entertain offers from other RC enthusiasts (past or present) with Mig-27 and/or F-16 styrofoam planes/parts/accessories for sale. Planes must be flyable! Or at least require little or no repairs/fabrication to become airworthy! Thanks!

Oh, I need EVERYTHING since I have NO RC supplies, tools, accessories, etc. Like a starter, prop wrench, voltmeter . . . . .. . I got NOTHIN'. But I want to get back into the hobby!
Old 01-21-2011, 02:44 AM
Army MiG-27 pilot

We flew the RS Systems Mig-27 styrofoam planes (weight about 8 lbs.) with .61 HB or K&B engine, which worked very well even if you added the extra weight of landing gear. With a SuperTigre .90 it would SCREAM! And with an OS Max 1.08 it was virtually supersonic!!!! I added a big, bulky (HEAVY) SuperTigre 1.20 to a Mig-27 and the extra weight negated ALL of the extra power: it flew even slower than with one .61 HB. I had a friend who put TWO HB .61s on a Mig-27 and THAT plane was pretty fast! When he could keep the engines synchronized, which was a MAJOR pain.He could only attain full synchronization of both engines (each engine mounted on a wing, not on fuselage) about 5-10% of the time: the rest of the time he was fiddling with it. Fun if you enjoy fiddling a lot, NOT fun if you want to spend most of your available time FLYING!
Old 10-25-2011, 11:04 AM
duvaloutlaw

I have a few of the F-16 drones, only one will fly the others are damaged from bad storage,,,,not by me. they are thick flat foam and slot together. i will post a few pics to night. i have the original boxes and the info that was on there. i lucked out and found 4 migs and 3 F-16 drones. later, bruce.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:07 AM
duvaloutlaw

can anyone give me a few tips on the cg, 33 percent back from where the wing meets the fuse or from where the wing changes angle,,,thanks.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:25 PM
flyinthepark

Bruce,
Do you still have the flying FQM-117B?
I would be interested if you still do.
Thanks
Nic
Old 02-17-2012, 10:53 PM
sparkola

CG is .5-1.5" back from leading edge of WINGTIP.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:11 AM
sparkola

Hey Duvoutlaw, you wanna sell one of the F-16 drones? How badly are they damaged?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:44 AM
donnspadbauer
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have a Manual for the RS sytems FQM 117B Drone? I can find the CG version but my RS systems version is quite different. Thank you, Donn
Old 03-19-2012, 04:24 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WoW....Been a long time since i have been in this thread.Glad to see it is still here.I never did fly either of the two Mig27's i have.But the good news is they are still in top number one shape.

BIGMIG
Old 04-07-2012, 09:11 AM
duvaloutlaw

I will upload a few pics, today. i have a few migs, and two f-16s. i have a third f-16 that is glued up and hangs from the rafters.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:14 AM
duvaloutlaw

I have been trying to run this stock mig, k and b 65, she ran for about twenty mins and now its no go. can anybody give me a starting point for the settings on the fast idle, or anything would be great. thanks all Bruce
Old 04-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Army MiG-27 pilot

In reply to duva outlaw:

K&B carbs SUCK!  The K&B engine is a good one.  Get a Perry carb and all of your problems will be solved.

I'm assuming you checked your glow plug and fuel supply already.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:29 PM
sparkola

I'd like to see the pics of the F-16's that you are selling. I'll take you up on your offer if the shipping is under 100.00 to 60554
Old 04-13-2012, 03:50 PM
duvaloutlaw

the carb took a lil tuning but the old motor is running good so far,,,few more test stand runs and it goes in the mig.....ill get the pics tonight, the f 16s i have are not like the migs,,they are flat board except for the wings wich are styro. i still have the printed part of the box incase any of those numbers would help me in the future....stay tuned.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:17 PM
duvaloutlaw

http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...emberID=564117you can see the box info in my gallery. plane pics to come.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:12 AM
thunderclap

i was given one of the mig 27 s and i would like to get it into the air , how ever the fuel tank is damaged beyond all hope of repair does any one have one thet are willing to part with ??? or know where i could locate one
 Mike
Old 06-01-2012, 01:43 PM
chingon

Mig 27 drone....One is extremely modified and the other not so modified..Love to fly this big eight pound foam drones using a h&b .61...I can see a os 91 in the near future...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14775.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1767963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68857.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1767964  
Old 06-01-2012, 01:46 PM
chingon

mig 27 with retracts...

Name:	Sq47807.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1767965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73653.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	1767966  
Old 06-01-2012, 01:48 PM
chingon

mig 27 drone with retracts.

Name:	Rp42735.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	1767967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99261.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1767968  
Old 06-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Army MiG-27 pilot

I really like the paint jobs you've done on your Migs!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.