Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Why Doesn't The AMA and the Hobby as a whole market to minorities?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Why Doesn't The AMA and the Hobby as a whole market to minorities?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Midnite_rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why Doesn't The AMA and the Hobby as a whole market to minorities?

I think this is the funniest thing I have read all day.  I thought I lived in the capital of racism, but I see it is everywhere.  Everything where I live is based on race.  There are entitlement programs and affermative action plans in place at every corner.  I guess I can die now cause I have seen it all.  Affermative action in the AMA.  Make sure that every race has the opprotunity to invest hundreds of dollars into a hobby and then send it crashing to the ground...... I was sure that it already existed.  We have African Americans flying at our field all the time.  In fact they have 2 of the nicest planes a the field.

Well whatever!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:08 PM
CellTech

Why! To prevent racists like djnsayne from becoming part of this hobby. Go back to your Rap music. Now wonder why the majority of white people don't listen to it. Ask your self why isn't the rap being marketed towards white people. People like you that have a chip on your shoulder are not welcome
Old 12-21-2011, 01:59 PM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

Blacks/Browns/Yellows couldn't give two hoots less about model aviation. If they did, the author of this thread wouldn't be asking such a stupid question. Why don't we see any minorities in our hobby magazines? There aren't any interested enough in the hobby. They know it's there, they simply choose not to participate.

On the other hand, there are many monorities in the R/C car hobby.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:48 AM
djnsayne
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: CellTech

Why! To prevent racists like djnsayne from becoming part of this hobby. Go back to your Rap music. Now wonder why the majority of white people don't listen to it. Ask your self why isn't the rap being marketed towards white people. People like you that have a chip on your shoulder are not welcome

You sir are a moron..... as it pertains to music 13-24 year old white kids are practically the only ones that buy rap music....... and their is no chip on my shoulder at all, you can ask my bi-racial daughter.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:56 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I know it's so funny,, we have a little wanna-B Gangsta group of kids (my son being one) in our Lilly white small town,, it cracks me up every time I see them.. It's cool, my grandparents thought we were degenerates for listening to Rock,, it's all good,, they're mostly all good kids.

djnsayne,

When you open a can of worms,, slimy things crawl out
Old 04-07-2012, 06:00 AM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tend to shy away from anything that targets me in any way not directly related to the product. If they target me for their new model as a warbird lover for example than that is one I would pay attention to. If however, they target me for their warbird by putting a hot babe in front of it and not giving any specs (we have all have seen these adds) then I will pass on it. Any product, or organization, that can't stand on its own merits and has to pander to specific demographics is not one i'm interested in. I do agree we should do more to introduce our hobby to those that may not otherwise have the opportunity to learn about it. As far as the magazines go, well I have never been in a mag and I have been participating for 30 years, including contests that mags covered. I also find it hard to believe that there is anyone left in this country that feels they can't participate if they don't see someone from their "ethnic/gender/age group." I believe it is more a factor of not understanding the availability/affordability.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Who are the minorities you are referring to in your original post and what constitutes the belief that minorities are not marketed to, or are not involved in marketing? Maybe some detailed analysis of you point would grant us a different perception of the issue. If you could explain your view it would be helpful.

Minorities can be many things and the vagueness of the original post makes it difficult to understand. I find in the two clubs I am involved with that people under 60 years of age and women flyers are the minorities. As far as marketing or public relations I am rarely concerned with who does the marketing nearly as much as I am the item being marketed.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:20 PM
djnsayne

Read the entire thread, the questions you have asked have already been adressed.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:59 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: djnsayne

Read the entire thread, the questions you have asked have already been adressed.
I have read the entire thread and that is why I posted the questions. So far here taken from one of your post is the only thing that really relates and does not specify the purpose or objective of the thread:

djnsayne The RC hobby would greatly benefit by promoting to minorities as this will increase the amount of modelers period. The reason that many people (white,black or any other) do not join us in our wonderful hobby is that they simply don't know it's out there or they are given the opinion that it's too expensive. Damn near everyone I know has some type of video game system and over 10games that has cost them over 1000 bucks..... this money could have been spent getting them into the air. Now I have only been flying for about 4 years, but I personally have gotten over 20 people into our hobby and they have been people of all races. The problem as I see it is market saturation.... It's time to focus on a new market and get minorities and kids out of the house and onto the field. Also at no point did I call anyone person or company racist. It's not racist to promote to middle aged, middle to upper classed whites since they already make up a huge part of your customer base. That's generally good business, however there are millions of untapped dollars out there that the hobby is virtually ignoring and I don't understand why.
Is your objective just to get kids and other people out of the house and into RC? I would just make the statement that RC is not marketed to the masses as well as it should be. It really has nothing to do with promoting to a minority unless you define minority as those of us that did not know about RC without stumbling upon it. Minorities is a poor word selection for this subject. I agree with you more than you can imagine about kids with video games. I think it is somewhat detrimental to our kids. They can use their fingers and reactions but cannot add or subtract or SPELL anymore!

RC lacks PR and that is for many reasons, just like many other hobbies do and that is primarily cost associated. I knew about RC as a boy around 10 years old because I frequented hobby shops. Other than that I would not have known about RC. For all the close to fifty years between as it was lost to me. In my area you do not hear about RC on the radio, TV, or any other media.

In approximately 30 years I did not know there was an RC flying field within 30 minutes of my home! Can you imagine how I felt when I found out about the RC field? I was excited but sad that I never knew about it because there is absolutely no PR here about RC. One of the first things I asked about when I joined was, why don't you guys do more to let people know you are here?

It's time to focus on a new market and get minorities and kids out of the house and onto the field.
I agree it's time to focus on a new market (strategy and implimentation). You can remove the minorities piece out because it really does not fit this problem as it is not a minority issue. Kids are anything but minorities and people are people. I applaud you for getting people into the hobby! Fantastic work and thanks. I have been working on my neighbors and I am making traction. When it comes to kids with video games I find the problem is the parents that allow them to sit in front of TVs for hours on end and not the kids really.

When I came up you could play video games but only for so long. After a while, it was mandatory that we got outside. No questions asked! [X(]
Old 04-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Chuck54sd

There is a very simple answer...... deep down inside we fear that they will come out to the field.... take to the air ..... turn into the RC version of the Tuskegee airmen .... and fly the living pants off of the "White Boys" !!!
Old 04-08-2012, 09:41 PM
djnsayne

Lol......... Well I crash all the time so I doubt if that's it!........