Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Latest jet- The Vortex 32

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Latest jet- The Vortex 32

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 04:48 PM
edpare

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Latest jet- The Vortex 32

This plane was not made for glow power! []
Plane arrived with no damage but missing all 7 set screws for gear collars and adjustable control rod. The right wing had been assembled out of the jig such that the wing joiner tube was offset 2mm from the center rib and both holes for the 5mm screws holding the wings on had to be moved about 4-5mm to allow the wings to have the same incidence. The fiberglass collars for the aluminum joiner tube epoxied to the inside of the fuselage came off with the first trial fit and had to be CA'd on after final fit. Gear wire was very soft and may require replacing with music wire. Wheels were too small and were replaced with 70mm to allow 11-inch prop sizes. Instructions were little more than a few pictures and left virtually the entire assembly to my imagination. Tip: horizontal stab is bolted to the booms which are bolted to the wings which are bolted to the fuselage. Canopy mount holes were drilled off-center so measure the canopy before drilling! The battery hatch is a very thin piece of clear plastic painted white. While magnets were glassed in the fuselage for it, there is no way to put magnets on the hatch cover which will have to be screwed on. OK, since COG requires the battery to be placed in the nose.
Servo holes in the booms were cut for mini size servos which I built up with basswood to take 8g micro servos all the way around except Futaba 3003's for ailerons.
Scorpion SII-3020-1110kV with an APC 10x5 should give me 674 W and 93oz of thrust

With 15oz 4S 3800mAh battery, AUW was 2.18kg/77oz.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:10 PM
edpare

Maiden today with zero wind, clear skies, 70 degrees. Low rates (50%) with 35% exponential on elevator and ailerons. COG exactly per manual and checked by three different concerned old timers
Lift off was uneventful: I let it get enough speed up to fly off the paved runway before applying slight up elevator for about a 40 degree climbout. One click each of left aileron and up elevator and I was straight and level at half throttle and thinking: this thing flies like a low-wing trainer! Four circuits around the pattern and I turned off the motor at about 100 feet altitude downwind and started my final turns and approach normally. Flare was normal, landing was soft at "fat wing" speed. I did not need power again until taxiing back to my station. 4.05 volts left on all 4 cells so I'm guessing I can stay up there 8 - 10 minutes at mid-throttle.
Totally predictable and surprisingly easy to fly.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Ian Prentice

Hi guys
I am just about ready to test fly mine with a Jetcat p20 fitted ! I have managed to fit retracts ! Are you guys using 20mm each way on the control surfaces ?
Cheers
Old 09-09-2011, 04:52 AM
edpare

ORIGINAL: Ian Prentice

Hi guys
I am just about ready to test fly mine with a Jetcat p20 fitted ! I have managed to fit retracts ! Are you guys using 20mm each way on the control surfaces ?
Cheers
A TURBINE?! WOW!!!!
I am using the manufacturer's throws with about 20% exponential but I am definitely NOT a good pilot. Thankfully, the Vortex is very stable
I am very curious to know what your all-up weight is with retracts, turbine, and fuel? Mine is 80 ounces with battery and it seems very fast (not as fast as your turbine, I'll wager!)

Old 09-21-2011, 06:32 AM
Ian Prentice

Well it has now flown half a dozen times ! Vertical performance and ultra stable ! All up weight was 5.5lbs less the 20 oz fuel
It needs a lot of downthrust to stop it pulling up when power on !
Great little model ideal for the p20
Old 09-21-2011, 06:36 AM
edpare

Good for you!

What kind of retracts did you use?  5.5 pounds is pretty light!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Tony Babington

Hello Ian Prentice,

You mention a large amount of down thrust needed on your Vortex P20 powered. I would be interested in an idea of value, degrees or packing thickness. I think I have about 5 degree on my Falcon 120 with a wren 54. I would be gratefull of any help. Kind Regards Tony
Old 04-10-2012, 04:21 PM
edpare

Ian, those side inlets looked small to me. Did you enlarge them and or/add "cheater" holes forward?
I am impressed when I think of all the extra fabrication you had to do to make mounts for the turbine, gas tank, and ECU.
What did you do about the "chromed spaghetti" gear?
Old 08-28-2018, 06:33 AM
monki69

Default Manual

Hello
I bought a vortex by second hand and I dont have the user manual and I dont know where GC is either. Would you mind sending me it ?
besides I dont have the cockpit, does anyone know how to make or get a new one

br
Old 08-28-2018, 06:34 AM
monki69

Default Manual

Hello
I bought a vortex by second hand and I dont have the user manual and I dont know where GC is either. Would you mind sending me it ?
besides I dont have the cockpit, does anyone know how to make or get a new one

br
Old 01-31-2019, 04:20 PM
david101

Default Cog

Cog from manual is 4.06 inches from leading edge.
No canopy . Carve one from foam & glass.
Completing one now for P20 turbine

Ail. & Elev. Thro's 20 mm each way. Rud. 27mm.