Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > User Product Reviews
Reload this Page >

Nitroplanes Projet Sky Trainer 140

Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

Nitroplanes Projet Sky Trainer 140

Old 04-10-2012, 07:04 PM
edpare

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitroplanes Projet Sky Trainer 140

We've all experienced the common wisdom of "You get what you pay for". In my experience however, I got less Cessna 182 than I expected for my $180. ARF? I don't think so.

Yes, the fiberglass fuse with integrated fin and separate cowl are pretty. But the fin was not straight, the molded stabilizer roots had significant negative incidence compared to the wing, the wing joiner tube is aluminum instead of CF, the single (servo) tray ply was seriously delaminated and broken in places, the landing gear mounts and gear itself was undrilled (which was a good thing since the mounting instructions were wrong). There was a really nice, flimsy, and complicated anti-vibration motor mount included which may have actually worked had I used it.

The rudder control rod is the worst piece of engineering I've ever had the intelligence to disregard and replace with a pull-pull. I mean, most of the servo movement just bent the rod fore and aft - I could move the rudder from one stop to the other against the servo with one finger. The pull-pull works perfectly (drill the holes between the 3rd and 4th molded rivet holes inboard of the stabs).

Lastly, there was no provision to mount the battery.

I needed one full pound of lead on the firewall to balance the plane at 33%. I shoulda used a bigger engine like a nice, heavy G-38.

There's more but you get the picture.

I still think it will fly, though. I am using a Turnigy 26 HP-S gas motor, RCExcel ignition, RCExcel Optilkill ignition switch, 2000 mAh 4-cell for the ignition, 1950 mAh Ni-Cad for the Hitec Optima 7 receiver and 7 Hitec digital MG servos.

With a wing cube loading of 14.1 oz/sq ft., it's gonna need to stay fast, like a warbird. I'm really not that good a pilot, but I'm thinking the big flaps will slow it down enough to land on our 400 foot asphalt runway. I am not thinking about how thin the landing gear mount ply is. I'm not thinking about it. I'm not….

Old 04-01-2014, 06:22 AM
hurleycycle

Originally Posted by edpare

We've all experienced the common wisdom of "You get what you pay for". In my experience however, I got less Cessna 182 than I expected for my $180. ARF? I don't think so.

Yes, the fiberglass fuse with integrated fin and separate cowl are pretty. But the fin was not straight, the molded stabilizer roots had significant negative incidence compared to the wing, the wing joiner tube is aluminum instead of CF, the single (servo) tray ply was seriously delaminated and broken in places, the landing gear mounts and gear itself was undrilled (which was a good thing since the mounting instructions were wrong). There was a really nice, flimsy, and complicated anti-vibration motor mount included which may have actually worked had I used it.

The rudder control rod is the worst piece of engineering I've ever had the intelligence to disregard and replace with a pull-pull. I mean, most of the servo movement just bent the rod fore and aft - I could move the rudder from one stop to the other against the servo with one finger. The pull-pull works perfectly (drill the holes between the 3rd and 4th molded rivet holes inboard of the stabs).

Lastly, there was no provision to mount the battery.

I needed one full pound of lead on the firewall to balance the plane at 33%. I shoulda used a bigger engine like a nice, heavy G-38.

There's more but you get the picture.

I still think it will fly, though. I am using a Turnigy 26 HP-S gas motor, RCExcel ignition, RCExcel Optilkill ignition switch, 2000 mAh 4-cell for the ignition, 1950 mAh Ni-Cad for the Hitec Optima 7 receiver and 7 Hitec digital MG servos.

With a wing cube loading of 14.1 oz/sq ft., it's gonna need to stay fast, like a warbird. I'm really not that good a pilot, but I'm thinking the big flaps will slow it down enough to land on our 400 foot asphalt runway. I am not thinking about how thin the landing gear mount ply is. I'm not thinking about it. I'm not….

I just bought one from Nitroplanes.
How did the maiden flight go ?
Old 04-01-2014, 08:10 AM
edpare

Originally Posted by hurleycycle
I just bought one from Nitroplanes.
How did the maiden flight go ?
Actually, it flew great! Surprise! It flew more like the real thing: I needed rudder to turn it and flaps really slowed it down. I wish I had put a Robart Robostrut on it, though...