Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

The mini everyone has always wanted, losi 1/14th 8ight

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

The mini everyone has always wanted, losi 1/14th 8ight

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 04:20 AM
Geofiveo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The mini everyone has always wanted, losi 1/14th 8ight

To each their own with judging this vehicle but this video does it all for me. If I break something on this jump than I deserve it. The previous video to this one the break was my fault, didn't land it right. I'm personally very satifisfied with this Losi Product.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz7ghEh2_Bk[/youtube]
Old 04-10-2012, 04:29 AM
neiloid

Crazy stuff ! and I assume on this video you broke nothing?

Great song choice too

Next video could we see you jumping through the open front windows of your Tahoe ?

oh, was 2S or 3S?
Old 04-10-2012, 04:43 AM
Geofiveo

ORIGINAL: neiloid

Crazy stuff ! and I assume on this video you broke nothing?

Great song choice too

Next video could we see you jumping through the open front windows of your Tahoe ?

oh, was 2S or 3S?
Slow down now, I don't want to break any windows.

Thanks for the compliment. Pretty much I only run 3S. Ionly bash and the 2S is kind of a let down if I don't run it first. I have two 3Spacks and one 2S. Both Venom.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:02 AM
flipside7

Hey guys what's up with this car???

People complaining, selling them upgraded for 150??

Others saying they are great??

For someone interested in this car, it's very confusing, could you guys argue it out?
I wanna know who to believe.

Really interested in this chassis for a rally car.

Anyone see tc bodies used on this??

Info is coming out very slow on the M8, usually with how long this has been out, there'd be a definitive outlook on a vehicle
Old 04-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Geofiveo

ORIGINAL: flipside7

Hey guys what's up with this car???

People complaining, selling them upgraded for 150??

Others saying they are great??

For someone interested in this car, it's very confusing, could you guys argue it out?
I wanna know who to believe.

Really interested in this chassis for a rally car.

Anyone see tc bodies used on this??

Info is coming out very slow on the M8, usually with how long this has been out, there'd be a definitive outlook on a vehicle

Flipside, you gotta get around the web some more. There are several forums, which I won't promote on here, that have great information about the Mini 8ight. This one particular forum threadhas over 5,000 posts and the vast majority are positive. With others being about how to improve an already great platform. Some tracks in Cali are having there own Mini 8ight class for a vehicle that I'm not sure Losi intended to be raceable since it wasn't released under the TLRlabel. Just my two cents every now and again we all have a lemon, be it RCs or real cars. It's like saying F.O.R.D. (Found On Road Dead) or Chevy sucks. Pick your poison.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:36 PM
neiloid

Geofiveo is right there are may RC forums for mini 8ight TECH that have many more posts than this forum which are mainly very positive.

I think it's a great platform out of the box and one that can be tuned with aftermarket parts from Losi and other smaller fabricators. And the parts are reasonably priced.

The ESC is lipo ready and can handle 3S out of the box, as can the brushless motor to give you a cheap boost in performance.

Check out some of the YouTube videos, read a little more widely on the web and make up your own mind.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:46 PM
J0EC00L
My Feedback: (3)

Flipside,

They are right (geo and Neil) this "Buggy" is an excellent RTR for the price. Sure, there are some required hop ups to install which address some issues, but they aren't necessarily show stopping issues. The shock caps are weak and can break, but a few dollars on replacement caps from OFNA solve that issue. The servo is a little weak, but that's still debatable whether u need to replace it. If your just bashing, it won't make much of a difference, but if your racing, a 25$ servo solved that issue. Lastly, the shock towers are alum, but can bend given a hard enough landing. You can either bend them back or get CF ones. Still cheap, only costing you about 16 for a pair.

So, givent those upgrades, and a price at 250, you'll be about 300 in, which is still a bargain for what you get in the mini 8ight. This is a Race caliber mini that has many features built in that we overlook. It's very true to the 8ight name and is one of the best handling mini's out of the box. It's fast, especially on 3s and is quite durable. I know some have broke parts on it before, but that's usually due to mis-use and abuse beyond its intended purpose. However, watch one of geofiveo's videos of him jumping his Chevy Tahoe and landing upside down or on its side and tumbling through his yard. It survived those landings proving its toughness. When people say they break parts just driving it normally. I really question what is normal to them? I'm not suggesting they are stretching the truth, maybe something did break under those circumstances - but then that raises the question of whether or not they did a check on all their screws and parts to ensure proper fitment and tightness of screws. Some things from the factory aren't properly installed or break unexpectedly, it happens... But I can assure you that 80-90% of those who own a mini 8ight love it and are glad they bought one.

Lastly, I terms of a rally car - this is a buggy, not a rally car. It is going to drive like a buggy and handle like one, especially with very similar characteristics of its big brother. This buggy can flat out run!!!
Losi may introduce a truggy version, but I don't think they need to. If you want a rally, get the Traxxas rally or slash and start from there with your customization. I don't think this platform will deliver that rally experience, but I could be wrong.

Joe
Old 04-10-2012, 04:31 PM
ralph289

Hi

Shock tops and bottoms should be changed for Ofna tops #37100 and Traxxas bottoms #5439 - the Losi plastic is a little brittle. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxvps_3JirM&feature=g-hist&context=G2858726AHT4K6wwAQAA]shock fix[/link]

The stock servo is ok but the saver is a little weak, but if you wrap a ziptie round its a good fix but most have switched servo to an HS225MG with a Kimbrough servo saver or similar.

The aluminium shock towers are a little soft so most change these out for CF.

That's about it.

The car is great fun to drive and very durable. Hopefully by the time you buy they will have a bind n drive version so you can use your own radio.

Lipos - I run Turnigy 2200 with a 20c (30 burst) rating and they are fine and last 30+ minutes. The higher the C rating the better I guess.

If you are looking to race then get a shorter pack and move the esc off the centre brace to lower COG.

I couldn't wait to 2013 to buy though.

Hope this helps.
IS the Ofna tops #37100 kit enough to do ALL 4 shocks ?
Thanks
Old 04-11-2012, 01:09 AM
neiloid

Looks like Losi have finally got round to releasing the tyres on their own

Which means we can now run Schumacher White dish wheels with Losi tyres until Losi release their own......

Available NOW.

[link=http://www.losi.com/Search/Default.aspx?IsNew=True&SortBy=LatestRelease&Page=1]Mini King Pins[/link]

Old 04-11-2012, 01:11 AM
neiloid

Hi Ralph

I'm afraid that you need two of the kits for all four of your shock tops as you can't use the shorter tops that also come on the kit.

Lucky they are cheap !
Old 04-11-2012, 04:26 AM
ralph289

Hi Ralph

I'm afraid that you need two of the kits for all four of your shock tops as you can't use the shorter tops that also come on the kit.

Lucky they are cheap !
Thanks.
I would need the Traxxas bottom pieces also correct ? any one have the part # handy .
Thanks
Old 04-11-2012, 04:40 AM
neiloid

Hi Ralph

My pleasure chap. If you read up about half a dozen posts you will see that the Traxxas bottomsare #5439. You get six in a pack, so you are good to go. You need to pop out the Losi balls and use them in the Ofna tops and Traxxas bottoms. Easy job and you get a great fit and bomb proof shocks.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:44 AM
ralph289

Hi Ralph

My pleasure chap. If you read up about half a dozen posts you will see that the Traxxas bottomsare #5439. You get six in a pack, so you are good to go. You need to pop out the Losi balls and use them in the Ofna tops and Traxxas bottoms. Easy job and you get a great fit and bomb proof shocks.
THANKS for your help !
Old 04-11-2012, 08:15 AM
neiloid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArwNM...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA-fC...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tDYv...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ8PZ...eature=related from 1.35 in

I think these four videos show that the M8 can do most things well, it jumps flat, lands flat, has a good turn of speed, handles really well round a track and when it doesn't land well it just keeps on going.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:01 AM
ralph289

ABOUT how long will it run STOCK on a 1800 2S lipo ?
THANKS
Old 04-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Geofiveo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArwNM...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA-fC...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tDYv...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ8PZ...eature=related from 1.35 in

I think these four videos show that the M8 can do most things well, it jumps flat, lands flat, has a good turn of speed, handles really well round a track and when it doesn't land well it just keeps on going.
The third video was kinda cool. That basically vert jump was different. Idon't think I would like driving that jump personally. Kinda gimmicky.Otherwise cool.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:16 PM
neiloid

ORIGINAL: ralph289

THANKS
About 20 minutes

Depending on conditions and driving style.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:40 PM
ralph289

THANKS
About 20 minutes

Really I kind of thought it would be longer then that, is there a lipo with more mah that would fit it for some longer run time ?
Old 04-11-2012, 03:47 PM
neiloid

I run Turnigy 2200 20c 2S lipos and get about 30 minutes of full throttle fun so I reckon 20 minutes in an 1800.

Need to do the battery tray mod to fit them but it's easy done and the rewards are great as your choice of lipo opens up hugely.

THANKS
About 20 minutes

Really I kind of thought it would be longer then that, is there a lipo with more mah that would fit it for some longer run time ?
Old 04-11-2012, 04:14 PM
ralph289

Great thanks for the info !
Old 04-12-2012, 08:58 PM
flipside7

Thanks guys, kind of what I thought, I still have two mini t's one rtr, one pro, and in the six years, they have been nothing but great. Was getting ready to order the m8, and I saw the post about sum1 hitting the throttle and breaking the shock tower, and I had to ask.

I know that when things break, expressions tend to be whiny, esp. On the net!

I have two t's, four vendettas, 3 zdracing, and several xmods, so I know the ins and outs pretty well as far as breakage, and misuse. I have so far chosen great minis with no misses, I just didn't want to make a bad choice with my record so far.

Every car I run is of fantastic quality, so when looking at the m8, I wanna be sure.
Knowing my losi cars, I expect it will be all that, plus very lightweight.

Joe, I just want a rally look, as in a tc body, not a traxxas, I learned long ago watching my friends with their traxxas vehicles, no thanks.
But any info on alternative body info would be hype. ( maybe theres some on an unnamed forum with lots of posts) PM???
Old 04-12-2012, 09:37 PM
J0EC00L
My Feedback: (3)

Flipside,

Good to know you understand the ins and outs and what constitutes as mis use and abuse.

Again, this is a buggy... Really not designed to accommodate a rally look. You would have to find someone willing to mill you some shock towers or really tall body mounts. You might get away with devising some type of way to make a longer front body post and use the rear wing mounts as some type of rear body posts? You'd have to do some wheel base measurements and determine which 1/10 rally bodies would line up, then place the un painted lexan body over the mini chassis and see what modifications you will have to make in order for it to look legit. That would be my only guess.

If you have that many vendettas, I recommend converting one of them to a rally car - in fact, I believe they make a rally version of the Detta. The Detta is very nice handling car, as you already know. If you already have a Detta rally, why turn this wicked cool buggy into a rally? Just to say you did it? Lol.

Good Luck finding a solution.

Joe
Old 04-13-2012, 03:20 AM
neiloid

Joe

Look what arrived in the post from you today.

Will post pictures once installed.

Luckily it's on the QC on the bolts that is a little lacking ! Oh, and they're not hex heads.....

Thank you mate, they look brilliant !!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76094.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1749691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13521.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1749692  
Old 04-13-2012, 05:03 AM
neiloid

So, just finished getting the T-Bone Pro Racer Front Fender and rear Skid installed.

I snapped off the stock bumper and Sharpied the cut edge and reinstalled it to fill the gap in the chassis then the T-Bone mounted in with the supplied philip head screws (Sharpied so they look less obvious on the black underside)

The rear skid installed just as easily with all the counter sunk holes lining up perfectly with the chassis holes.

Also took the opportunity to add a couple of buffers to the battery tray to move the lipo away from the centre driveshaft.

Finally I put on my new wheels and tyres ready for indoor racing - just need to find an indoor race circuit near by

Thanks to Joe for hooking me up with the T-Bone stuff and to Mainamigo over at the MSUK forum for the dish wheels and tyres.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36231.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1749707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38061.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1749708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66043.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1749709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66116.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1749710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67945.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1749711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94443.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1749712  
Old 04-13-2012, 06:05 AM
neiloid

ORIGINAL: flipside7

Thanks guys, kind of what I thought, I still have two mini t's one rtr, one pro, and in the six years, they have been nothing but great. Was getting ready to order the m8, and I saw the post about sum1 hitting the throttle and breaking the shock tower, and I had to ask.

I know that when things break, expressions tend to be whiny, esp. On the net!

I have two t's, four vendettas, 3 zdracing, and several xmods, so I know the ins and outs pretty well as far as breakage, and misuse. I have so far chosen great minis with no misses, I just didn't want to make a bad choice with my record so far.

Every car I run is of fantastic quality, so when looking at the m8, I wanna be sure.
Knowing my losi cars, I expect it will be all that, plus very lightweight.

Joe, I just want a rally look, as in a tc body, not a traxxas, I learned long ago watching my friends with their traxxas vehicles, no thanks.
But any info on alternative body info would be hype. ( maybe theres some on an unnamed forum with lots of posts) PM???

Hey Flipside

Not a rally car body but a different look from Team Bluegroove. You can get it as a shell, shell & wing or shell, wing and under tray. Not sure about the look, personally but it may float your boat? Cheap as chips too if you are Stareside.

[link=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRUGGY-BODY-WING-AND-UNDERTRAY-FOR-LOSI-MINI-8IGHT-8-EIGHT-TLR-BUGGY-CHASSIS-/150702149911?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item23168c5117#ht_500wt_1180]Bluegroove Truggy[/link]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.