Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:42 PM
dash008
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

I'll be flying mine this Sunday in memory of Mike.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:50 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: hrrcflyer

Gent's

I think that a fitting tribute to Mike would be if EVERYONE in the brotherhood who has an Ultrasport in flying condition would take it out to their local flying fields this weekend and fly the wings off of them. If I hadn't done something stupid and sold my US1000 about a month ago, I certainly would. I'm sure he would be watching over all of us.

Just a thought.

David
I too will make time to fly an US in memory of Mike on Saturday. I am really going to miss him here at RCU. He had so much enthusiasm for the US and all his projects in addition to using his gifted talent of graphic design to help us.

Keep em flying in memory of Mike,

Scott
Old 04-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Tango Juliet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been pulled in too many directions over the last 5 months to get any building projects completed, and I've really procrastinated on my US60 build. Now I learn of Mikes passing and feel regret for not getting it done sooner so I could share it with him. I'd like to say that I'll rededicate myself to getting it done soon, but I just won't have the time. When I do though, I will add some sort of tribute to Mike in the final scheme.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:07 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: Tango Juliet

I've been pulled in too many directions over the last 5 months to get any building projects completed, and I've really procrastinated on my US60 build. Now I learn of Mikes passing and feel regret for not getting it done sooner so I could share it with him. I'd like to say that I'll rededicate myself to getting it done soon, but I just won't have the time. When I do though, I will add some sort of tribute to Mike in the final scheme.
Tango,
I know exactly how you feel, mine was in a holding pattern as well for way to long...

I cleared my bench of other projects and will dedicate this week to finishing mine, A little sanding on the back of the fillets and I can finish covering the fuse.. I started on the tail while I was waiting on filler to dry, the base is white UC, but the color will be loud and proud...
Any body have some design skills that could work up something we can all put on our tails in memory
of Mike.. I been doing the press and seal method with windex and it's awesome for cutting out patterns..

Jimbo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88553.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1751108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14499.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1751109  
Old 04-16-2012, 06:26 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

This weekend's weather was some of the roughest in the Midwest. Winds never got less that 25 mph so nobody was able to fly. I'm sure Mike understands and will be looking from his lofty perch for his flyby when the weather subsides.

Mustangman, great job so far on the covering.

Scott
Old 04-16-2012, 07:12 AM
ameyam

Can the brotherhood answer my question here

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11043705/tm.htm

Thanks in advance

Ameyam
Old 04-16-2012, 07:25 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40
>
>
>
Any body have some design skills that could work up something we can all put on our tails in memory
of Mike.. I been doing the press and seal method with windex and it's awesome for cutting out patterns..

Jimbo
How about a small picture of Mike.
That is easy to do.

Zor
Old 04-16-2012, 07:28 AM

How about " Minnflyer" over a ribbon like they use for the support our troops campaign or the cure for cancer. I can't do the graphics but I'm sure somebody who knows what I am talking about would be able to.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:36 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: Zor

>
>
>

Jimbo
How about a small picture of Mike.
That is easy to do.

Zor

Zor,
when you see my final colors you will understand why that won't be a good idea, two of the many colors will be hot pink and metallic purple. A pic of Mike although respectful, would send the wrong message. I think Mike would shoot it down with alightning bolt from the wild blue yonder...
I will work on something later, it's time to go get my fuse covered.........
Jimbo
Old 04-16-2012, 08:16 AM
Tango Juliet

Tango,
I know exactly how you feel, mine was in a holding pattern as well for way to long...

I cleared my bench of other projects and will dedicate this week to finishing mine, A little sanding on the back of the fillets and I can finish covering the fuse.. I started on the tail while I was waiting on filler to dry, the base is white UC, but the color will be loud and proud...

Jimbo
It's looking good already Jimbo. I can't imagine your wild color scheme, but can't wait to see it.

It would be a great thing for someone to come up with some sort of decal or design that we can all add to our airplanes.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:31 AM
smkrcflyer

It would be a great thing for someone to come up with some sort of decal or design that we can all add to our airplanes.
That's what I was thinking.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:46 AM
hrrcflyer

Well,

"Somone" was looking out for me this weekend. I was sitting at my flying field yesterday in the 25 knot winds. I was the only person there and I was just getting ready to leave when a friend of mine who I hadn't seen in almost two years, pulls up in his van beside me. We got to talking and out of the blue, he asked me if I had ever got my US 60 kit finished. I told him no, that I sold the kit before I had a chance to start it. Then he proceeds to say "If you want the one I have, you are more than welcome to it". He said that he had to stripped the old monocote off and it was just sitting in his garage.... I could not say YES fast enough..........

So next weekend, I will be the proud owner of a US60. I need to find the thread where someone put retracts in their existing wing, because I want to do the same thing. Even though I doubt I can make it electric, I have a YS60 and a Hatori pipe that will suit it just fine.......YAAHHHOOOOO ! ! ! !

David
Old 04-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Mustangman40

Well,

"Somone" was looking out for me this weekend. I was sitting at my flying field yesterday in the 25 knot winds. I was the only person there and I was just getting ready to leave when a friend of mine who I hadn't seen in almost two years, pulls up in his van beside me. We got to talking and out of the blue, he asked me if I had ever got my US 60 kit finished. I told him no, that I sold the kit before I had a chance to start it. Then he proceeds to say "If you want the one I have, you are more than welcome to it". He said that he had to stripped the old monocote off and it was just sitting in his garage.... I could not say YES fast enough..........

So next weekend, I will be the proud owner of a US60. I need to find the thread where someone put retracts in their existing wing, because I want to do the same thing. Even though I doubt I can make it electric, I have a YS60 and a Hatori pipe that will suit it just fine.......YAAHHHOOOOO ! ! ! !

David
David, that sounds like a good combo and should be a blast.. I would look into electric retracts if it was me, I think that would be the way to go being it is built already....
Old 04-16-2012, 12:48 PM
prgonzalez

ORIGINAL: smkrcflyer

That's what I was thinking.
I was thinking in adding a mourning black decal in the fin of my US60.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:25 PM
matadco

After I built mine I decided to add manuel retracts. Takes a little work but well worth it. Not only that but it is more attractive in flight with the legs up.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:22 PM
hrrcflyer

Well,

''Somone'' was looking out for me this weekend. I was sitting at my flying field yesterday in the 25 knot winds. I was the only person there and I was just getting ready to leave when a friend of mine who I hadn't seen in almost two years, pulls up in his van beside me. We got to talking and out of the blue, he asked me if I had ever got my US 60 kit finished. I told him no, that I sold the kit before I had a chance to start it. Then he proceeds to say ''If you want the one I have, you are more than welcome to it''. He said that he had to stripped the old monocote off and it was just sitting in his garage.... I could not say YES fast enough..........

David
David, that sounds like a good combo and should be a blast.. I would look into electric retracts if it was me, I think that would be the way to go being it is built already....[img][/img]
Mustangman40,

You are absolutely right about using electric retracts. I have a pair of the original Lado electrics that I had in my H9 Miss America. The wing mods should be pretty simple. I am however having second thoughts on using my YS60 & pipe though. The motor is supposed to go with a Great Planes Illusion kit that I've been trying to get rid of for the last three years. I do have a backup motor however, a YS91 4 stroke, but if I remember correctly, my friend had a 2 stroke in it the last time I saw him fly it. So I doubt the YS91 will fit. Anyway, if it doesn't I still may put the YS60 on it or buy an OS 75AX for it.

David
Old 04-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Mustangman40

Well,

''Somone'' was looking out for me this weekend. I was sitting at my flying field yesterday in the 25 knot winds. I was the only person there and I was just getting ready to leave when a friend of mine who I hadn't seen in almost two years, pulls up in his van beside me. We got to talking and out of the blue, he asked me if I had ever got my US 60 kit finished. I told him no, that I sold the kit before I had a chance to start it. Then he proceeds to say ''If you want the one I have, you are more than welcome to it''. He said that he had to stripped the old monocote off and it was just sitting in his garage.... I could not say YES fast enough..........

David
David, that sounds like a good combo and should be a blast.. I would look into electric retracts if it was me, I think that would be the way to go being it is built already....[img][/img]
Mustangman40,

You are absolutely right about using electric retracts. I have a pair of the original Lado electrics that I had in my H9 Miss America. The wing mods should be pretty simple. I am however having second thoughts on using my YS60 & pipe though. The motor is supposed to go with a Great Planes Illusion kit that I've been trying to get rid of for the last three years. I do have a backup motor however, a YS91 4 stroke, but if I remember correctly, my friend had a 2 stroke in it the last time I saw him fly it. So I doubt the YS91 will fit. Anyway, if it doesn't I still may put the YS60 on it or buy an OS 75AX for it.

David
Yeah David,
that is something to think about being it is already built, I would go with what fits the nose best...
Old 04-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Mustangman40

Tango,

Jimbo
It's looking good already Jimbo. I can't imagine your wild color scheme, but can't wait to see it.

Thanks Tango,
I was thinking the same thing about a design we could all use. I will work on something over the next couple days.. Someone who is good at doing graphics as to be a member of the brotherhood, lets see some ideas..

I got the fuse all in white today, going to start cutting my templates after dinner, that's where the fun starts...lol

Name:	Mk25457.jpg
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1751271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55856.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1751272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19358.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1751273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91816.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1751274  
Old 04-16-2012, 03:00 PM
prgonzalez

Very nice job Mustangman!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:17 PM
rickbrad
My Feedback: (30)

Somehow we have to get MinnFlyer heading for the Heavens:
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Tango Juliet

My basic scheme is white with a dark blue, green, and gold accent (Notre Dame colors), but my intent is to use the Liquid Sheeting process and eventually paint it. Looks like you got the wing/fuse fairings covered pretty well (another one of Mike's tutorials).

I got the fuse all in white today, going to start cutting my templates after dinner, that's where the fun starts...lol
Old 04-16-2012, 06:59 PM
Mustangman40

My basic scheme is white with a dark blue, green, and gold accent (Notre Dame colors), but my intent is to use the Liquid Sheeting process and eventually paint it. Looks like you got the wing/fuse fairings covered pretty well (another one of Mike's tutorials).

Tango,
They were fun, I am happy how they came out.. Mikes tips sure did help a bunch, as always.This is the first plane I have covered in about 10 years and the first time I used UC.. Good bye Monokote, just trim pieces from now on with that crap!!! I do like MonoKote for doing trim with Windex and that is what I am using on my US...

I got a bunch of templates cut tonight, boy that is my favorite thing to do. Iput the first piece of color on before my eyes had enough.....lol Lastsneak peakbefore it's all done, the boys will need their sunglasses on when i show up at the field with this thing..........

I changed my scheme a little to leave the fin and rudder blank for aGraphic tribute to Mike. It's the least I can do after all the PM's he answered while I was building it...

Jimbo

Name:	Ay73655.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1751400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50905.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1751401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75253.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1751402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14297.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1751403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23231.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1751404  
Old 04-16-2012, 07:20 PM
rickbrad
My Feedback: (30)

Those wing fairings really do look well done. Kudos!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:27 PM
rebranger

Retracts?, I got a 120 ol kit, weight 12 .5 lbs, (heavy) that's in Auburn Colors, Orange & Blue, about wore out tho, I have a heck of a time keeping the landing gear legs (wires) straight; have increased size twice. I  belly land it in the grass most of the time. Got a ST 2000 on it, pump & Perry carb, screams like a banshie, I love it, got another yellow & blue, with a OS 160 , it really honks
Old 04-17-2012, 04:08 AM
Tango Juliet

Don't forget to flesh-out that cockpit Mustangman, unless you're going to paint the canopy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.