Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

AE Mini MGT 3.0 carb settings?????

Old 02-24-2009, 11:23 PM
mikez104

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AE Mini MGT 3.0 carb settings?????

Ok, so I get my first a truck because they look like they are really fun and I've read about breaking it in and I'm attempting that but can't keep the thing running. The first start up was easy but now it starts and I run it up to half throttle and it sounds ok but then it just quits. Not sputtering out but just dies like someone shot it with a .40 I get it running again and start to go and am giving it some throttle and let it off to slow down and it idles at what sounds to be a good speed then it just dies again. Repeat this process many times. I'm now getting very frustrated and saying bad things.

I fill the tank back up and start it and it runs while the battery is attached to the glow plug and I take it off and a second later it dies. Repeat this process many times. More bad words. At this point a break out the instructions and read about the settings for the carb. It says that the low speed screw should be 6.5 to 6.75 turns out from bottom. I figure I'll see where mine is set so I turn it in and find that it is only at 1.75 turns out so I reset it. Now it don't run [:@] at all. So I find another sheet that came with the truck and it says that the low speed screw should be turned out 2.5 turns from bottom. I'm no genius but I can tell that one of these documents is way off. One says the settings for the high speed should be at 3.5 and the other says 2.5. What gives?

Does anyone have this truck and could they throw me a few pointers before I kick the thing to the curb?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:58 PM
ilanstylz
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: AE Mini MGT 3.0 carb settings?????

Ok hope this helps, I just got my mini a few weeks ago and had trouble breaking it in as well......... First off if its cold outside your going to run into problems getting it to run right, when you first get it started you should let it idle for at least 4-5 minutes to let the engine warm up.......Do you have a temp gauge? If so you should use it to check the temp on the engine before you even try to throttle it, I let mine get to as close to 200F then I started to run it........

The settings should be 2 1/4 turns counterclockwise from the closed position on the high speed and 2 1/2 turns on the low speed needle from the closed position........

Check your idle screw as well, make sure you have the 1/16 gap..........

Trust me I had similar problems breaking in my Mini, but the key is to be patient.........

Here is a thread on AE's forum about the problems I was having:

http://www.aeforums.co.uk/forum/inde...showtopic=3932
Old 02-25-2009, 12:26 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Might want to try a new glow plug. Many times a plug can go bad and only run well with the igniter on it, and then die when you take it off. Plus, during break in, its common to go through a plug or 2.

Try that and let us know if it helps.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:38 AM
mikez104

Thanks ilanstylz, I will try that tonight. I'm not sure why they would have conflicting information in the instructions. This may be a stupid question but is the condition of the glow plug important when the engine is running? Once you remove the battery, the element is no longer heated so if it starts can I assume that the glow plug is ok?
Old 02-25-2009, 09:47 AM
twomanytoys

Mike
Where in PA are you located?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:31 AM
mikez104

By Pittsburgh, Bethel Park
Old 02-25-2009, 11:20 AM
ilanstylz

What do you mean by remove the battery? Do you mean the glow plug ignitor? To answer your question, yes the condition of the glow plug is very important... The way you test the glow plug is to take it out of the engine and put it on the ignitor if it lights up fast and a really bright orange color its good, if it seems somewhat dim or doesn't light up at all then its bad........ The ignitor is important as well, it should have a really good charge I'm guessing your using the stock one that came with the mgt rtr kit, if so make sure the "D" battery your using is still good or brand new..........
Old 02-25-2009, 11:20 AM
cummins driver

It would seem that the glow plug wouldnt matter once its running, but it does. The heat from the motor keeps the element glowing and it continues to aid in firing the engine. I had a plug go bad on me a couple of days ago. Truck was running great and then it all of a sudden started idling really rough and i drove it back to me and it died and wouldnt restart. I pulled the plug out and the element had come loose and wasnt heating. Anyways, replace the plug just to be sure.

Eric
Old 02-25-2009, 12:48 PM
mikez104

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

It would seem that the glow plug wouldnt matter once its running, but it does. The heat from the motor keeps the element glowing and it continues to aid in firing the engine.
Ah ha. Now that makes sense to me. I learned something new. I did take out the glow plud and hooked it up to the igniter and it slowly lit up and I heard lots of sizzling down in side. It eventually got very bright. It seemed loaded up with fuel.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:10 PM
breezerboat

I too have the Mini MGT 3.0 And breaking it in was a learning experience. It's tough.

I found that the glow ignitor they gave me (the one with the Dcell battery) sucked. I got one of the ignitors that charge from an outlet. I think it does a better job starting my truck.

To keep mine idling the first times I started it, I had to give the throttle real small taps constantly or it would die. And I mean small taps, not even 1/4 throttle. Just enough so it tried to move.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:22 PM
mikez104

Well, I set the carb to the settings ilanstylz said and started it up. It would idle until i disconnected the igniter then it would die. I swapped the glow plug and it ran great. I got to run a tank through it before it got too dark to see. It runs good but after half throttle it bogs out for a second. Thanks for the tips. Off to get more glow plugs... the last batch I got was the tower hobbies brand. Are these as good as any? It seems like they quit working in a hurry. My son put one in his car and it ran good for half a tank then it died. I checked his glow plug after it died and it didnt even get hot. It looks like the wire broke.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:35 PM
sincityshooter

Mccoy's FTW
Old 02-25-2009, 09:57 PM
ilanstylz

I agree with sincity, mccoys are good plugs, I also use OS plugs as well......... It sounds like you still need to do some tuning, but once you have it tuned just right or very close the MMGT will be loads of fun.....
Old 02-25-2009, 10:23 PM
breezerboat

plugs for the Mini MGT are Odonells #99 ODO99, or the McCoys 59. That's what I use and it is also the ones the manual says to use.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:26 PM
mikez104

Looking on web sites I have just found that there are many to choose from. Would I want hot or cold? I saw on the OS site that they have an A3 that is supposed to be good for breaking in an engine.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:51 PM
cummins driver

Glad the glow plug fixed it for ya. Sometimes they can be problematic because they dont always just give up completely, as you have found out.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:16 PM
chris1990

I am also having trouble starting my mgt 3.0.  Once it starts it runs like a bat outta hell but getting it started is the problem. I have it tuned correctly and it runs perfect just has a hard time starting and i have already put a new glow plug in and charged the ignitor. Any suggestions?
Old 03-31-2012, 12:01 AM
muscleflex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same problem on mine. i think the engine gets too hot inside the body hence the problem of restarting it.... i'm gonna spend the weekend trying to tune it and hopefully i can get it working.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:47 AM
forrest225

ORIGINAL: muscleflex

i have the same problem on mine. i think the engine gets too hot inside the body hence the problem of restarting it.... i'm gonna spend the weekend trying to tune it and hopefully i can get it working.
Mine is always hard to start if it's hot and has sat not running for a minute, the fuel just boils when it gets to the carb. I've heard that this can be common in buggy racing and that they use keyboard cleaner to cool the carb off. Seems like it would be hard on the intake manifold to change temps that fast though, so I normally just prime the hell out of it and pull QUICK [8D]