Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Central NEW YORK boaters

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Central NEW YORK boaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:26 AM
engineman351

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

Craig...BTW I have a 2614 but I cannot remember if it is a 2 or 3 blade. If I bring gassers to the pond I'll have my gas prop box with me. RC
Old 04-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: engineman351

Craig...BTW I have a 2614 but I cannot remember if it is a 2 or 3 blade. If I bring gassers to the pond I'll have my gas prop box with me. RC
Sounds good!
Old 04-13-2012, 02:45 PM
gassertom

Lucky Bob and Neil getting to run this afternoon - Cindy had to work and I had to rest up from a party thru her work from last night. Not as young as I used to be!
We plan on bringing both the 20 and 60 Mono and the 20 JAE out tomorrow morning. Hope to be at the pond by 10:30.
Tom & Cindy
Old 04-13-2012, 03:04 PM
advanced builder

We have a new record ,this afternoon Bob clocked in @14.7 seconds with his gas sport hydro. His driving was right on. Stayed in lane 2 and smoked the turns.Bob tried a new prop ,Wow it woke up. My 67 cat was really moving. The .67 Vee was a disappointment. The DZ was making the turns. Top-end was off. I was hitting 16 seconds after a prop change myself. Bob's Vector was setup nicely He was hitting 15.5 -15 seconds
. No running for me this weekend
. Today was great running.
http://youtu.be/MvXjLseyHfw
We could use a field box that's water tight so I can leave the stop watch.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Looks like building season just started at HJ Manor. I finally received my Executone cowl yesterday only to find that NOT WORKING ON THE FRAMING WAS A GOOD THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It seems the cowl was made to fit a 5" engine bay and Roger drew up the plans with one 4-7/8" instead. Now I have to go back and modify the cross frames to fit the cowl, not a big deal this time. Just curious, do I need to do a build thread on this boat as well?
Old 04-14-2012, 03:01 PM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

Looks like building season just started at HJ Manor. I finally received my Executone cowl yesterday only to find that NOT WORKING ON THE FRAMING WAS A GOOD THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It seems the cowl was made to fit a 5'' engine bay and Roger drew up the plans with one 4-7/8'' instead. Now I have to go back and modify the cross frames to fit the cowl, not a big deal this time. Just curious, do I need to do a build thread on this boat as well?
It that a Roger Newton build ,1/8 scale
Old 04-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Blackout

My gas boat wouldn't run today! [X(] Damn gas engines! Tom and Cindy's nitros ran good.

I managed to shear the flywheel key, so the timing was way off. Luckily, Bob had the parts and tools and I replaced the sheared key with a new one and this time torqued to spec and used blue loc-tite.

On the plus side, my 6S cordless starter worked flawless. I will charge the Lipos tommorrow morning to see how much battery was used today. We sure put it through a good test....

Bob, if you are free tomorrow we can try it again. I'll call you.... I still need to put the motor back in the boat, but the flywheel came off and went on like a charm. Nothing like the right tools to make a job go easy, and I thank you for that!
Old 04-14-2012, 05:28 PM
PropCircles

Craig, yea it's fixed !! Anytime tomorrow is fine just let me know.
Glad I could help out.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: PropCircles

Craig, yea it's fixed !! Anytime tomorrow is fine just let me know.
Glad I could help out.

Cool! Thanks.

The key was sheared into two pieces! The flywheel had moved a bunch, so the timing was way off...

Old 04-15-2012, 01:13 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

Looks like building season just started at HJ Manor. I finally received my Executone cowl yesterday only to find that NOT WORKING ON THE FRAMING WAS A GOOD THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It seems the cowl was made to fit a 5'' engine bay and Roger drew up the plans with one 4-7/8'' instead. Now I have to go back and modify the cross frames to fit the cowl, not a big deal this time. Just curious, do I need to do a build thread on this boat as well?
It that a Roger Newton build ,1/8 scale
Yes it is. Since I hadn't glued in any of the cross frames except the sponson transoms yet, it's not going to be a major job to rework the parts. I'm thinking, at this point anyway, it's going to be easiest to install one side's framing and engine bay wall and use that as a reference for the other side
Old 04-15-2012, 03:44 AM
Billk44

ORIGINAL: Blackout

My gas boat wouldn't run today! [X(] Damn gas engines! Tom and Cindy's nitros ran good.

I managed to shear the flywheel key, so the timing was way off. Luckily, Bob had the parts and tools and I replaced the sheared key with a new one and this time torqued to spec and used blue loc-tite.

On the plus side, my 6S cordless starter worked flawless. I will charge the Lipos tommorrow morning to see how much battery was used today. We sure put it through a good test....

Bob, if you are free tomorrow we can try it again. I'll call you.... I still need to put the motor back in the boat, but the flywheel came off and went on like a charm. Nothing like the right tools to make a job go easy, and I thank you for that!
I'd bet that key sheared when you dunked the boat last week. Did you replace with an RCMK key?
Old 04-15-2012, 04:02 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: Billk44

I'd bet that key sheared when you dunked the boat last week. Did you replace with an RCMK key?
I replaced with a Prop Circles key.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:35 AM
PropCircles

I ordered replacement keys for a sx254 from gizmo, not sure if it's zen or rcmk

Old 04-15-2012, 06:54 AM
Billk44

I ordered replacement keys for a sx254 from gizmo, not sure if it's zen or rcmk

I would use replacement RCMK parts for the K30. Thought I saw an article on Jim's discussing woodruff keys. The one thing everyone agrees on is the correct torquing of the flywheel nut.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Blackout

The K30S is running again!

Had a couple other issues though, no big deal. One was the top end bolts loosend up. Oil was seeping through and making a mess. Once that was tightened, the engine needed a leaner high speed setting. We started at 1.25 H/ 1.75L. We are now at 1 H / 2 L and the plug looks much better.

We think the pipe can go shorter for more rpm's. Measured from the engine exhaust outlet flange to the center of the pipe is 13 1/4". This is measured following the 90 degree header around. I need to cut the header more before I can go any shorter on the pipe.

We tried a couple different props, but since the engine tune was off, we need to start from scratch with that. The engine seemed to pull a 7016 pretty good, but after a few laps we slowed down because of the loose top end bolts. And once the top end bolts were tightened the engine ran too rich.

The best GPS speed we got was 50.4 mph. Not bad for a stock engine, but there should be more speed with some adjustments.

All this testing and no need for the retrieve boat.

When I charged the 4000mah LiPos for the starter this morning, they took 1625mah of charging. I think that is pretty good as we were really turning the engine over allot yesterday!
Old 04-15-2012, 02:45 PM
PropCircles

Here ya go, some video from the weekend. I'm new at this.. hope it works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uPdz...ature=youtu.be

Bob
Old 04-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Blackout

Bob
Video looked good! Thanks for sharing! I definitely need to mount the trim tabs on this boat. I thought maybe I could do without, I don't think so... I'm still going to leave the outside tabs off as the turning seems neutral. At one point, the video paused and loaded and my mono was probably pointing up at a 20 degree angle! [X(] The CG could probably go foward, and I have no problem with drilling new holes. Still seems weird that a low-lift hull like the Lazer could get loose at 50 MPH in somewhat calm waters. Different props could help too.... All in all runs good though.

Roger stopped by late afternoon and ran 2 tunnels and a Thunderboat. He ran his double secret Cobra II tunnel and his TS 3. Thunder boat ran well, but was a handful since the front end was light. Good driving prevented any blow overs.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:04 AM
Billk44

Bob
Video looked good! Thanks for sharing! I definitely need to mount the trim tabs on this boat. I thought maybe I could do without, I don't think so... I'm still going to leave the outside tabs off as the turning seems neutral. At one point, the video paused and loaded and my mono was probably pointing up at a 20 degree angle! [X(] The CG could probably go foward, and I have no problem with drilling new holes. Still seems weird that a low-lift hull like the Lazer could get loose at 50 MPH in somewhat calm waters. Different props could help too.... All in all runs good though.

Roger stopped by late afternoon and ran 2 tunnels and a Thunderboat. He ran his double secret Cobra II tunnel and his TS 3. Thunder boat ran well, but was a handful since the front end was light. Good driving prevented any blow overs.

Craig,
You should use trim tabs. Notice how it rocked side to side at speed? If it rocks the wrong way going into a turn - dunk. Way not try adding a little bow eight before moving the engine? Try 2 to 4oz in a noodle and push it all the forward in the bow. If that calms it down, you can re-establish the C/G and go from there. You are close but need to tame it down a bit so you can race it.
Bill

Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Blackout

Good advise, thanks Bill!

Trim tabs are going on. Do you think the outer tabs have any play with chine walking? If not, I won't put those on yet. I always thought the outer tabs only came into play in the turns.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Billk44

Good advise, thanks Bill!

Trim tabs are going on. Do you think the outer tabs have any play with chine walking? If not, I won't put those on yet. I always thought the outer tabs only came into play in the turns.
I always build the boats with good reps to designer specs. I would put the outers on and set them neutral. I believe the right inner tab trailing edge is set flush. Your build sheet should have that noted. The outers may have some effect on chinewalking depending on how much the hull leans over. I believe the trim tab bottoms are up 1/8 from the hull bottom. I am using CC racing turn fins.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:21 AM
Blackout

Anyone up for a Tunnel Thursday? Gonna get the Vision Craft out for it's first run of the season.

I won't be at the pond until 6:00 pm, but feel free to show up as early as you like. I'm too busy at work to take off early.

Larger boats are always welcome, but running all smaller boats works out better for the small time frame that we have, hence the name Tunnel Thursdays. Boats like .21 tunnels, .12 and .21 riggers, and .21 monos all can be run safely at the same time on Stony Pond. Another thing to keep in mind is to always run a full course, no putting around in the middle while another boat is racing around the course.

Don't forget your sunglasses! If the sun is out, you will need them when the sun sets.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:14 AM
engineman351

I plan on making 'Tunnel' Thursday. I'll leave the gassers home and bring just tunnels. I plan on having the Predator motor mount repaired and a regular FASST radio in the Cobra 2. I'm not sure what was up with the FHSS radio, but I certainly did not have control of the boat as I approached buoy 1. I'll leave freeing up the TS3 to my son Tom. RC
Old 04-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: engineman351

I plan on making 'Tunnel' Thursday. I'll leave the gassers home and bring just tunnels. I plan on having the Predator motor mount repaired and a regular FASST radio in the Cobra 2. I'm not sure what was up with the FHSS radio, but I certainly did not have control of the boat as I approached buoy 1. I'll leave freeing up the TS3 to my son Tom. RC
Sounds good! The wind forecast looks low so far.

With some luck, I'm hoping my .12 Zippkit rigger will be ready for the following week's Tunnel Thursday.

I ordered a 90 degree Novarossi O/B header from Glenn....
Old 04-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Blackout

Just to be clear, if you want to test a gas boat on Thursday, that's perfectly fine. I just wanted to encourage people to bring the smaller boats so that we can run them together and get some good fun racing in....
Old 04-17-2012, 06:38 PM
PropCircles

I'm up for tunnel Thursday. I'll have the .18 rigger ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.