Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

New 6, 8, and 11 ch. JR radios announced - DMSS technology

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New 6, 8, and 11 ch. JR radios announced - DMSS technology

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:50 PM
littlera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 6, 8, and 11 ch. JR radios announced - DMSS technology

The new JR's are here! The new JR's are here!

Here is a link to JR's site that describe the release today of several new radios in the 6, 8, and 11 channel flavors today. Obviously this is timed to the opening of the Toledo show today. The new radios feature DMSS technology and have telemetry. Can't wait to buy one for myself!

What is the DMSS technology? Seems I remember that is what JR has been using in Europe and maybe other markets.

What do you guys think? They have the styling of the recent 11 channel unit I believe.

http://www.jrradios.com/New/Default.aspx
Old 04-12-2012, 01:35 PM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: New 6, 8, and 11 ch. JR radios announced - DMSS technology

No images.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:55 PM
littlera

Click on any of the product titles. This takes you to full specs and at least one image.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:19 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: littlera

Click on any of the product titles. This takes you to full specs and at least one image.
Will they be available in the US?
Old 04-12-2012, 02:57 PM
littlera

The JR site with the announcement is a USA site. It will locate USA dealers only, and refers you to a different site for international business. The fine print at the bottom shows a copyright for Horizon Hobbies, the USA distributor. And, as I pointed out, the announcemnt on the eve of the Toledo show is no accident. JR and others frequently debut new products at this largest of all R/C expos.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:32 PM
slarty

Well slap me with a wet kipper !!!

I never expected Horizon to take these onboard as they are in direct competition with their Spektrum brand !!

Totally gobsmacked !
Old 04-13-2012, 07:03 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: slarty

Well slap me with a wet kipper !!!

I never expected Horizon to take these onboard as they are in direct competition with their Spektrum brand !!

Totally gobsmacked !

Ditto!

Didn't see that coming...
Old 04-13-2012, 10:54 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

I'll be darned.. it's on Horizon's site, too

http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid

Old 04-13-2012, 01:28 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

I'll be darned.. it's on Horizon's site, too

http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid

I have one in my hand at the Toledo show, right now.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Silent-AV8R

I suspect this should end the complaints about Futaba having FASST, FASSTest, and SFHSS. The new JR radios are no long compatible with DSM2, DSMX or the BnF planes. Interesting to see JR going to a single receiver solution with 2 antennas and leaving the Spektrum technology.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:11 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

i was rather surprised that it took this long for JR to slap horizon down and make em fall into line on the whole radio tech thing. DMSS has been the JR thing everywhere else in the world for what, about a year now?
Old 04-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: mongo

i was rather surprised that it took this long for JR to slap horizon down and make em fall into line on the whole radio tech thing. DMSS has been the JR thing everywhere else in the world for what, about a year now?

I'm not getting that out of this at all. Spektrum will continue on as it is. I don't see that changing. JR has now decided to take a different path after using Spektrum to get to market quickly.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:13 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so if i were to buy JRs new 11x all my DSM2 receiver wouldnt not work?
Old 04-14-2012, 12:11 AM
littlera

Correct. The two systems are not compatible.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:12 PM
1bwana1

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

so if i were to buy JRs new 11x all my DSM2 receiver wouldnt not work?
The JR11X as currently offered by HH is DSM2/DSMX compatable. The new JRXG11 is not compatable. At this point you have to view them as different radio systems.

But understand that the 11X is a dumbed down version of XG11.The 11Xis missing a number of software and hardware features, as well as telemetry, and has a poor excuse for a manual compared to the XG11.

Yes, it is confusing and I am more than a littleunclear at this point about what the future looks like. I have really enjoyed my 11X, but wish it was as full featured as the XG11. HHseems unwilling at this point to openly discuss the future JR roadmap in the U.S..

As big an 11X fan as I have been, I would not recommend to anyone that they buy a JR/HH radio at this moment. It woud be wise to wait and see what is really going on.

Yes Bill, I am seriously thinking of making the switch to the 18mz. Just have to find a way to make the finances make sense....
Old 04-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: 1bwana1

Yes Bill, I am seriously thinking of making the switch to the 18mz. Just have to find a way to make the finances make sense....
Come on in, the water's fine!! Just think of all the extra time you'll have on your hands only having to connect a single RX!! And the weight savings!! It's all good!! And this is a hobby, since when does any of it have to make sense??
Old 04-15-2012, 12:51 AM
Pippin

There is an update available for the X11.

Here: http://www.jrpropo.co.jp/english/dl/...&db_flg=eng_dl
Old 04-15-2012, 05:13 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will be interesting to see how many of those users screw this up
Based on the lack of thought seen exercised with other brands - this update looks like it will baffle more than a few
Old 04-15-2012, 06:22 AM
1bwana1

ORIGINAL: Pippin

There is an update available for the X11.

Here: http://www.jrpropo.co.jp/english/dl/...&db_flg=eng_dl
It looks to me like that update is to update the 11X Zero to XG11 specs. It does not apply to the JRHH DSM2/DSMX based radios. I hope HH eventually supplies an update for us.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:54 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

And this is a hobby, since when does any of it have to make sense??
Well said..
Old 04-15-2012, 09:43 AM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

I've been a loyal JR customer for many years. I currently use an 11X and an X9303. Like a fool, I jumped into DSMX with both feet. Now that I've replaced half my receivers with DSMX I find out that to get telemetry I'll not only have to sell my 4 month old 11X (which won't be worth much anymore), buy an XG11 (which cost $100 more than my 11X), then replace all my receivers AGAIN. As I told the Horizon Hobby rep at Toledo, if I decide to replace all my receivers again, it won't be with JR. I'm done. While at the Weak Signals Show, I spent more time checking out their competitors offerings.

I work in the IT industry and believe me, I understand technology advances and planned obsolescence, but this is ridiculous. You'll have a difficult time convincing me that JR didn't know they were going this route when they suckered their loyal customers into jumping on the DSMX bandwagon.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Silent-AV8R

I guess what people need to wrap their heads around is that JR is a separate company. I don't think they did this lightly. They obviously decided that it made sense for their business to separate themselves from being tied to the Spektrum technology. None of us knows what may have gone on behind the scenes between those two companies. I do not think that JR did this as any part of a "planned obsolescence" program or anything like that. For all we know Spektrum was the prime cause by ending their licensing deal or something like that.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:25 AM
BuschBarber

I guess what people need to wrap their heads around is that JR is a separate company. I don't think they did this lightly. They obviously decided that it made sense for their business to separate themselves from being tied to the Spektrum technology. None of us knows what may have gone on behind the scenes between those two companies. I do not think that JR did this as any part of a ''planned obsolescence'' program or anything like that. For all we know Spektrum was the prime cause by ending their licensing deal or something like that.
The reason they gave at the Toledo Show was that in some overseas areas, DSMX has to operate at a lower power. DMSS does not, so Range is better. There were other marketing reasons.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:47 PM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

I guess what people need to wrap their heads around is that JR is a separate company. I don't think they did this lightly. They obviously decided that it made sense for their business to separate themselves from being tied to the Spektrum technology. None of us knows what may have gone on behind the scenes between those two companies. I do not think that JR did this as any part of a ''planned obsolescence'' program or anything like that. For all we know Spektrum was the prime cause by ending their licensing deal or something like that.
I agree. We can make assumptions and speculate, but in the end most of us will probably never know the real reasons behind this move. Doesn't change my perception as a customer or the feeling that I got screwed by DSMX. I don't understand why they can't upgrade the 11X to DMSS w/ telemetry the same way they offered an upgrade from DSM2. I realize it would have to be sent in and of course there would be a cost, but it would be worth it for a lot of pilots if the cost were reasonable. To me, it appears that they were stringing along existing JR customers, giving us just enough to keep us hanging on to the brand until they were ready to release their own DMSS technology in the States. Taking full advantage of opportunities to maximize profit along the way.

As always, there will be many varying opinions on this subject with each of probably right on some level. In the end, we'll each make our own choices. I will continue to use my 11X with DSMX receivers until someone else makes a high quality 9-11 channel radio with telemetry. Until then, I will only purchase Spektrum DSMX receivers for my 11X. If JR is abandoning DSMX, then I will quit buying JR DSMX products. BTW, I know that JR is still technically manufacturing, selling, and supporting DSMX receivers (for now).
Old 04-15-2012, 01:55 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

yer beef is not with JR, they released the DMSS tech over a year ago. blame Horizon for deciding to continue with their own spektrum tech and refusing to import/sell the JR DMSS tech.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.