Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I tried to warn him

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I tried to warn him

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 06:29 PM
skeletor507

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I tried to warn him

ORIGINAL: poison

Don't know why you posted the video if you did not want comments

I'm fine with comments, I just don't need anyone talking **** saying the video was staged, or that I am just as much as at fault. I TRIEDTO WARN HIM NOT TO DO IT,but since I know more then he does I felt obligated to be there. We weren't expecting the plane to do what it did. I am not surprized that it crashed since my buddy wouldn't listen to me, but at the same time I feel bad, because I know how much he spent on it. I have been using a sim and I have buddy boxed once, but with all that aside I even know better then to adjust the trim while on the ground. IMO the plane spends very little time one the ground and even less time taxiing, so who cares if it bounches to one side or the other use a little rudder to correct it. Oh and one more thing, the only reason I posted the video is for the lucky shot through the wires.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:31 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

that was awesome!
Old 04-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

goirish, well, he may be a member of the club, but I'm no longer a member there. Too many scary fliers. I just visit there now to chat from time to time.

skeletor507, no matter why you posted the video, thank you for doing so. It was interesting. Like some have already said, it may help others to not make a bad decision and fly under-trained. You have done your fellow hobbyists a good service.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:44 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

So $250 for a yr worth of flying and instruction is too expensive? How much was that Nextstar you just destroyed there in 6 secs??[X(]
Old 04-15-2012, 08:06 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

ORIGINAL: tfowen53

Go to a club? The closest club here in Dawsonville GA charges $250.00. Thats a lot just to see if you like the hobby. The club I started learning to fly with when I was stationed in Germany was $60.00. I think that around here they just don't want any new folks in the hobby unless you have lot of $$$.
About two minutes of research on www.modelaircraft.org turned up two clubs within 20 minutes driving of Dawsonville with very reasonable rates. There's an electric only club that costs $75 a year, and an all planes club that costs $100. Yes, that's a significant investment if you're young and don't have a full time job (or even if your not!), but it will ensure that you can fly in a safe environment using a proper runway and with experienced pilots helping you. If you are under 18, you might inquire if they have a youth membership that is cheaper, and of course you should take advantage of the AMA youth membership as well.

You might think that the clubs are gouging you or just trying to be elitist with their dues, but if you've priced land lately, looked into getting a contractor to level and build a runway, and figured up what it costs to mow the 10+ acres of land that a flying field needs to maintain you'll find that the dues are generally a bargain. I can honestly say that the help I've gotten from guys in my club have saved at least two airframes, and maybe more. That's worth more than the $100 I pay to be a member there every year. And I'm now working on learning to fly pattern and getting some instruction on that, which I simply couldn't have done any other way.

If your buddy just wanted to put a plane together and take it outside and destroy it, then sure, he doesn't need a club. Plenty of guys want to do just that and they have a blast with it. But if either of you actually want to do this hobby and become competent RC pilots flying good performing planes, the club is the way to go.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Hands down funny. I like how after the crash you can see the same power line pole right over the wing, you could not do this in another 1000 flights if you tried. At least you have the video.

I would suggest a slow flyer, if you got to learn yourself. It can be done, but you need to know the basics to do it, and the right trainer, that plane was haulng the mail. A simulator would be a plus, too. Luck was with him, for sure.

No harm done, fix that model, then try a slow flyer before another try with the speed devil.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:45 PM
skeletor507

Thank you everyone for your input and I appologize for any hard feelings I may have caused. I shared the video just to share it and hopefully to keep other new people from trying the same thing. I agree 100% with joining a club and using the buddy box. I have flown one time and one time only and that one time was on a buddy box. It's a lot harder than anyone thinks it is. Shoot when I flew I got my directions mixed up when the plane was coming back at me, which I know is easy to do, but I have 10+ years experience with glow powered off road vehicles, and I can drive them just fine. Just being nervous is all it was I think. Anyway thanks again for the input and please continue commenting if you wish, lets just keep the negative ones to ourself. Thank you.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:39 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there left thrust on the engine. He built the plane. Maybe buyhim a baseball bat and ball for christmas...
Old 04-15-2012, 11:49 PM
Thisstrangeengine

Engine was running great! Sorry about the crash... I remember my first flight which was also very short, but I just turned too sharp to the left and she went down only breaking a prop and knocking an aileron loose. Next flight and landing were successful and never looked back... He'll get it if someone helps...
Old 04-16-2012, 03:38 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

ROFLMAO!!! Too funny!! And yes, going through the power lines yet to boot!! Well, now maybe he won't be too proud to ask for help now......and get rid of the Nexstar....IMHO it is a bad trainer. Avistar is a better plane.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:21 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: skeletor507

Thank you everyone for your input and I appologize for any hard feelings I may have caused.
Don't worry, it wasn't you. 99% of the people that watched the video got a kick out of it and just hope the guy is smart enough to take your advice the next time around. The other 1% is the granny-patrol. In their opinion you are more dangerous than a serial killer or child molester. Every time someone posts anything like your video they jump all over it with their doomsday predictions. "You could have knocked the pole down, it might have fallen across a highway causing a major 47 car pile up, women and children would have been killed, lots of lost limbs. On top of that the whole city might have lost power, causing a blackout which would lead to looting and rioting, all because you wouldn't stop your friend and make him go on a buddy box "
Old 04-16-2012, 05:07 AM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: smithcreek

Thank you everyone for your input and I appologize for any hard feelings I may have caused.
Don't worry, it wasn't you. 99% of the people that watched the video got a kick out of it and just hope the guy is smart enough to take your advice the next time around. The other 1% is the granny-patrol. In their opinion you are more dangerous than a serial killer or child molester. Every time someone posts anything like your video they jump all over it with their doomsday predictions. ''You could have knocked the pole down, it might have fallen across a highway causing a major 47 car pile up, women and children would have been killed, lots of lost limbs. On top of that the whole city might have lost power, causing a blackout which would lead to looting and rioting, all because you wouldn't stop your friend and make him go on a buddy box ''
This will all happen on December 21st 2012
Old 04-16-2012, 05:42 AM
Flyin Beagle
My Feedback: (1)

I find this to be very Funny. So often we see some new comer to these forums say they want to learn to fly on thier newly acquired ducted fan banana hobby POS fighter jet. We all tell them to go buy a trainer and get help at a club, but if they dont please make sure they video tape the first flight for our comedic entertainment. This guy goes and purchases a proper trainer and has a friend with him that can fly but refuses the good advice given. He does video tape the first flight for our entrtainment and he gets blasted by other users on the board for being unsafe.

Give the guy a break, he wasnt the pilot, he was trying to help someone else with a plane who apparently is fairly stubborn, he gave us all a good laugh, and showed us a video of something we all thought would be impossible.

Thanks for sharing, now help him fix his plane and, properly teach him to fly. If he still refuses your offer then I would buy a good helmet or get as far away as possible.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:47 AM
rglgatortail

Hey Skeletor you never did say if the plane is fixable,
or what exactly was broken
or if the plane is getting fixed

If your friend dont want to fix the plane let me know and ill fix it and give it a new home. I'm just saying. And thanks for the video
Old 04-16-2012, 06:12 AM
flyboy9994

Dumb question #372

Why was the fuel tank pressure line not connected to the muffler? Also appears to be plugged.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:26 AM
Mustangman40

This vid is a great tool to teach others who think they don't need help, thanks for posting it... I had to watch it 4 times to see how he missed the power lines, holy crap batman...

Jimbo
Old 04-16-2012, 06:57 AM
pdm52956

ORIGINAL: dalolyn

ORIGINAL: smithcreek

Don't worry, it wasn't you. 99% of the people that watched the video got a kick out of it and just hope the guy is smart enough to take your advice the next time around. The other 1% is the granny-patrol. In their opinion you are more dangerous than a serial killer or child molester. Every time someone posts anything like your video they jump all over it with their doomsday predictions. ''You could have knocked the pole down, it might have fallen across a highway causing a major 47 car pile up, women and children would have been killed, lots of lost limbs. On top of that the whole city might have lost power, causing a blackout which would lead to looting and rioting, all because you wouldn't stop your friend and make him go on a buddy box ''
This will all happen on December 21st 2012
Not true.........according to what I've heard, everything is suppose to just float away not fall down!

That said, I'm thinking he should have waited until then to try this flight.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Mk23socom

ORIGINAL: flyboy9994

Dumb question #372

Why was the fuel tank pressure line not connected to the muffler? Also appears to be plugged.
That was the fuel fill line.. a 3rd, stand alone line that has nothing to do with the pickup or the exhaust pressure line. I use that set up and find them completely convenient and simple.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Jamming

I don't think everyone needs a instructor or a club, some people don't have the luxury of a close field with a experienced pilot including myself. I have self taught helicopters of all types, granted crashed 30 plus times and spent hours on he sim, but I have my own flying field but living 70 miles from any club makes it hard to get training. The right plane and a safe area can be easy to learn to fly a plane.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:47 AM
jquid

ORIGINAL: tfowen53

Go to a club? The closest club here in Dawsonville GA charges $250.00. Thats a lot just to see if you like the hobby. The club I started learning to fly with when I was stationed in Germany was $60.00. I think that around here they just don't want any new folks in the hobby unless you have lot of $$$.

Most clubs do have trainers available, if not I am sure he could have at least met someone (Club Trainer) that would have let him buddy box without having to pay dues first. The majority of people in this hobby want to help people into it, not take $ out of their wallet.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:32 AM
skeletor507

ORIGINAL: rglgatortail

Hey Skeletor you never did say if the plane is fixable,
or what exactly was broken
or if the plane is getting fixed

If your friend dont want to fix the plane let me know and ill fix it and give it a new home. I'm just saying. And thanks for the video
Yes it is fixable. All that happened was a broken prop, and the fuse has a crack on the left side from the firewall to the top of the cockpit. Oh and by the way I got first dibs if he decides not to fix it. It seems like he's not in any hurry to fix it so fingers crossed that I get a brand new broken airplane.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Tjettzky

I think this video proves your friend has otherworldly, though raw, natural piloting skills in order to get through those lines. Perhaps he is the chosen one...
Old 04-16-2012, 11:38 AM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: llindsey1965

heres the point , go to a club and get some help , someone could have gotten hurt and then we all would have a black eye
+1x5
Old 04-16-2012, 12:08 PM
KitBuilder

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

ARFs are great for introducing the masses, unfortunately when you don't work for sometihng that you attain other than a hour at your kitchen table. your likely to be reckless.
Not all of us that put together ARFs are reckless. Saying that putting together an ARF would likely make us reckless is a reckless statement. Those that fly like this are going to do it regardless of what the nature of the build is.

CGr.

You are correct and I apologize however, it is based on fact though as you state - certainly doesn't apply to all.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:14 PM
CGRetired

We know you will only build kits, and know you are very good at it, however, there are those of us that 1. don't have the talent, 2. don't have the time.

So, if we are going to fly, as much as I would love to put a kit together, well, I settle for ARF's and make the best of them. I am fairly confident that, with this issue, there are probably as many on the kit side as the arf side.

CGr.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.