Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Converting to IR

Old 04-13-2012, 01:32 PM
strippersteel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Converting to IR

Hey guys i'm wanting to possibly convert my tank from airsoft to IR to be compatiable with Tamiya tanks. I've searched the forum but couldn't find the information I seek. Is it even possible and is it worth the time and expense? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default RE: Converting to IR

Cheap way:

Talk to blitzkrieg65 about the DBC (HL radio) or DBCRC2 (hobby radio).

Or YHR about the DBCRC3 if you have a hobby radio and want better sounds.

Expensive way:
Tamiya electronics: check Jason's store on ebay- a reliable source
El-Mod: talk to blitzkrieg65

Hope this helps?
Mart
Old 04-13-2012, 02:00 PM
tsull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just gone through two tank conversions and have all the do's and don'ts! At some point, I'll do a complete tutorial on the cheapest method possible.

For very quick reference:
1) Start with a HL IR tank as it provides the correct recoil, Applel and barrel options (do NOT buy a HL tank with metal treads - you'll need to start upgrading other components and the plastic treads are lighter and easier on the tank)
2) Buy Darkith's BDC-2 (use a better hobby radio if possible) and DBU kit (they are fairly easy to build if you are careful AND TEST EVERY CONNECTION PRIOR TO HOOKING IT UP!
3) Modify the recoil unit with a microswitch and use a PICO Switch to power the recoil unit from the recoil servo lead on the DBC-2
4) Use the HL Apple and install the LED's from Darkith's DBU in the turret and feed the 3 wires to the HL Apple Sensor.
5) Modify the HL Apple sensor by replacing the HL sensor in the Apple with 1 of the 4 sensor's that came from the DBU kit

And BINGO - go kill some $1,000 Tamiya Tanks for pennies on the dollars.
One of the best HL Tanks to use is the KV-1. It's light, tracks hold up well and has enough room to work in. And it's cheap.

Good luck - it's a blast to kill the big T's with a HL (they get all flustered if the HL doesn't break - when it does, everyone has a good laugh).

However, I do dream of buying a Pershing Tamiya that works right out of the box!
Old 04-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Glen B

My two HL Tiger I's are converted using SLU's.

I am working on a HL Panther G that is a conversion from airsoft to IR.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29681.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1749795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41074.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	1749796  
Old 04-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The DBC3's are a better option today than the older DBCRC2's. Plus you can get then with Benedini sound cards loaded with which ever tank sounds you want. YHR distributes them. Contact him and he can fill you in on all the details. It is much easier than it used to be and a lot of systems are plug and play. which is the way to go for new commers, and old hands to boot.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:05 PM
whiteknight1066

There's also a system that seems to have been forgotten over here called the IBU. IT's a piggyback onto the RX-18 board just like the DBC series, but is really, really plug-and-play. The directions are really well done and clear too. Iran one in my HL KV at the last carshow event down in Danville and it did great. The only problem Ihad was the gun didn't recoil; turns out I'd painted it too much and gotten it stuck, which then burned out a transistor...Ireturned it to Ivano, who promptly repaired it. In the meantime the KV in question is getting a major facelift (cast turret anyone?) so it won't be at the extravaganza, but Ihope to roll it out soon. Anyhow, it's about $200 and is a great, easy unit to get a first-timer battling IR. It even works woth the HL radio! As for the SLU, this is also reported to be a superior piece of equipment, however it doens't act quite exactly like a Tamiya does; some clubs (like Danville) would likely have a problem with that. Do some research, read what you can, and come to a decission. My suggestion is do cheap and easy first, which means a DBC from Phil or YHR, or an IBUfrom Ivano Bretti. Hope that all helps!

Andrew
Old 04-13-2012, 11:42 PM
tsull

Another great benefit to starting with the HL IR tanks is that you truly become knowledgeable about how they work, the electronics, engines, IR systems, etc. I have burned out several boards, recoil units, etc and now have a pretty good idea on how to put together the different pieces. My son and I (everything in twos - one reason we didn't start with Tamiya) are now planning an IS-7 build and the different elements that we need to create and "synthesize" are much easier to understand.

My only problem is my son is becoming an ace on WofT. AND... wants to build it all. Now all I need is a large 3D printer, lathe/mill and the right CATIA translator software and we can build anything!

Old 04-14-2012, 01:50 AM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

they also make that mako system for the HL IR anyone try one yet
Old 04-14-2012, 07:51 AM
FreakyDude

look at this  plug and play, low cost option that allows play with Tamiya, HL and WSN. I have 2 on order.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:13 AM
tsull

I just looked up the site and products. I hope you'll do a review on the boards when they come in. I've been using David's boards and DBU's and he's always been just great helping me fix everything I fry out..... and the kits are so well priced. How are you planning on using an Apple and hit LED's with this new system?
THanks!
Old 04-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Panther G

I didn't start with Tamiya's either and still think HL tanks are probably the best bet for first time rc hobbiests. Maybe not for people who have more experience with rc gear but definitely for the new guys. There so many options now to get your HL tank IR/Tamiya compatible it is almost hard to choose. when i started you had 2 choices. Tamiya or a DBC. The new guys now have it easy. LOL.
 I was wondering about the IBU. I had heard a little about it then nothing. didn't know whether they panned out or not.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

whiteknight1066's IBU seemed to work just fine when he brought his KV to Danville.
It registered a hit everytime I shot at him 

Old 04-14-2012, 10:50 AM
strippersteel

Freakydude thats a great find but I have a couple rookie questions.  So on my airsoft HL I can buy that and then purchase the battle system and be able to battle Tamiya tanks?  Also I live in the states and I wonder what shipping would be or if I could find it somewhere here closer to me?
Old 04-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Panther G

They are proprietary to that company. They have free shipping going on now. They do look like a very viable option. I read all the information on the site and am even considering using this on my KV-85 custom build that still needs electronics. i have plenty of Rx18 boards lying around with cables so i though I just may try these out. For the money you really cant lose to give them a try.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:30 PM
whiteknight1066

Hey there guys. Ialso looked at the Mako boards from Oz; they look very enticing! Do take note, however, that there is one piece, the Mamba board, that is still in development and not available in order to make our HL's Tamiya compliant. I think I'm going to wait until all three pieces are out and then try the set. Inote that they do nothing for the sound, but DO appear to make everything battle-worthy; worth it for somewhere around the $100 mark, which is where I'd guess the set would come in at. And yeah, the IBU worked great in my KV, Ijust had that operator-error recoil problem that Isorted out.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:48 PM
whiteknight1066

Strippersteel, Isaw your question adn here's my attempt at an answer. It seems that at this time there is no strait-forward, drop-in airsoft replacement unit or kit to make HL airsoft tanks IRbattle capable. First, you need the hardware to shoot and recieve IR signals; that's the battle unit everyone is talking about, and they've gotten to the point of being almost plug-and-play. HOWEVER, you also need a muzzle-flash of some kind, and this gets tricky. Some of the battle units will take care of this for you, like the DBC and the SLU (and the IBU, IIRC). However, these do NOT allow for the "high tension flasher" unit from HL to function, as you are bypassing this function on the RX-18. That last bit was probably gibberish, but take my word it doesn't work without some monkeying around. So basically, the muzzle flash is possibly taken care of by your battle unit (most likely, but make sure when you're reading about the unit in question). The worst part is that you'll likely want a recoiling action barrel as well, and this gets REALLY difficult. You see, the the HL Airsoft unit is completely different than the HL recoil unit, which is cheap but nasty in it's way (but is low cost, and works). The Airsoft is triggered by a completely different circuit that isn't exactly used by the IRunits, and many of the aftermarket HL battle systems co-opt this function and render it unavailable to make the HL recoil unit work. For instance, you plug the DBC into the jack where you'd need to plug in the HL recoil unit (and several other functions, but lets talk about those another time). The DBC then supplies a SERVO recoil controll function, but as far as Iknow (though I'm not sure) doesn't just give you a blip of pure voltage like you'd need to get a recoil unit going. So more monkeying, a bit of soldering and a LOTof swearing later and MAYBE you have something that works...it's a headache. It CAN be done, and I'd personally love to know more about it, but you're going to have to learn alot from haunting forums, ask a bunch of questions, probably pester YHR, and build some things from scratch. However, once you're done, you'll have a sweet tank and the ability to do ANYTHING you want with it. So don't get discouraged by my doom and gloom; just know it's a bit of a learning curve.

EDIT: Ijust remembered; the IBU has a neat little feature that lets you switch from servo-recoil to HL/ Tamiya recoil operation at the flick of a DIPswitch. Nice, eh? that'd save you a bunch of sweat, Strip. Just don't load so much paint onto your barrel that it gets stuck...>.<
Old 04-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Rebellion13

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

According to the SLU website, the HL high tension flash and recoil/air soft unit can all be used.

Cheers
Wade
Old 04-14-2012, 11:26 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A DBC3 in an HL Airsoft tank will allow you to have a full functioning airsoft HL tank and you can have a completely Tamiya compliant IR system,

Just a recap on the DBC3 features, as it appears people are not aware of all it does.

Completely Tamiya compliant IR, with weight classes complete with the interface with the drive motors to slow down the tank when it has been hit
Blocks the Heng Long recoil jerk
Removes the superspin
Adds Momentum
LED Flash
Interfaces with a standard RC receiver

If and when you want to add Benedini sound that option is available to you.

Plug and play for $100

Cheers
Old 04-15-2012, 12:24 AM
Airbrushler

ORIGINAL: Rebellion13

According to the SLU website, the HL high tension flash and recoil/air soft unit can all be used.

Cheers
Wade
look on page 13 in the manual
Old 04-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Rebellion13

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks, I was replying to whiteknights post on which he stated that a HL flash could not be used and that the recoil had to be modified to work, and I thought that I had seen they could, and this does confirm it, thanks AB. BTW whiteknight I wasn't trying to prove you wrong in any way, I myself want to equip my tanks with the SLU and was hoping someone would chime in, on whether these could in fact be used, I most likely will use tamiya recoils though. And I have heard that colored led's look better then the HL flash anyway.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 04-15-2012, 11:41 AM
tsull

I'm heading into the shop to finish up the recoil modification for a KV and KT using David's DBC-RC2HL. I'll post a tutorial on the recoil modification and using David's DBU and the HL Apple. It's a very inexpensive modification as the DBC-RC2HL and DBU cost $70 (you need a rc radio for the DBC-RC2HL board). In addition to David's electronics, you will also need to purchase a PICO switch to power the recoil system. However, by using the DBU and placing it INSIDE the TURRET and running the LED's to your periscopes or similar locations on the turret - you can use one of the sensors from the DBU and replace the sensor in the Heng Long Apple (the Apple has no LED's). By using the HL Apple, you will save another $80 plus.
Your total cost is about $100 dollars. On my HL KT, I just received an Impact Apple which is similar to the Tamiya, but cost considerably less. I'm mounting that today for DAK's battle next weekend.
tjs
Old 04-16-2012, 05:42 AM
vett guy

dont  bother with the mako i got one cant get it to work and cant get a answer fron the marker sooo dont waste 29 $
Old 04-16-2012, 11:08 AM
strippersteel

Thanks for the detailed answer Whiteknight.  I've decided to just leave it airsoft, not worth the hassel.  I'm just going to get a HL Jadgpanther or a Panther to do IR battles with and keep the airsoft Tiger to terroize the dogs lol.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:41 PM
ausf

ORIGINAL: Airbrushler

I just got one today. Just over a week from Oz to NY. It plugs right in and worked as advertised. It was taking and giving hits within minutes of opening the envelope. I put it in my new HL StuG III G. It's already IR. THe only downside is it registers hits by spazing out. I wish I got the $15 2nd board which gets rid of the track recoil and slows the tank down with damage (As is, it only shakes until it's destroyed). The only problem I've had was the HL and my M4 are on the same frequency, so until I get a new crystal, I can't use it with both Tamiyas (I have 2 sons, hence the need for 3 battling tanks).

I have a DBU package with sound on the way to compare, which will go in a HL Pz IV that's enroute.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Airbrushler

ORIGINAL: ausf

ORIGINAL: Airbrushler

I just got one today. Just over a week from Oz to NY. It plugs right in and worked as advertised. It was taking and giving hits within minutes of opening the envelope. I put it in my new HL StuG III G. It's already IR. THe only downside is it registers hits by spazing out. I wish I got the $15 2nd board which gets rid of the track recoil and slows the tank down with damage (As is, it only shakes until it's destroyed). The only problem I've had was the HL and my M4 are on the same frequency, so until I get a new crystal, I can't use it with both Tamiyas (I have 2 sons, hence the need for 3 battling tanks).

I have a DBU package with sound on the way to compare, which will go in a HL Pz IV that's enroute.
cool let us know about the DBU what one did you get so there are two different modes on the Mako you can get one has the Shimmy and the other one gets rid of the Shimmy when it's hit? hot is the momentum does it deminish when hit thanks for the info

Greg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.