Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I tried to warn him

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I tried to warn him

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 02:16 PM
skippy7399

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I tried to warn him

IF! If he listens now and will take proper instruction, now is the perfect time to dump the Nexstar and get a plane worth the time and money learning to fly. One of the many clubs in my area won't even let these on the field because they are more difficult to learn on than other trainer planes. Might I sudjest an Aerostar or even a Hangar 9.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:41 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about that. I learned pretty easily with one. That was several years ago, and, as far as I know, the plane is still around and still being used to teach RC students to fly.

CGr
Old 04-16-2012, 03:37 PM
jpjamie

Life once existed in the land beyond Reset Button.

Great men lived there, with boxes full of sticks and the way of the great white paper called plans.
Today, man no longer feels desire for the land beyond Reset Button.

The knowledge of this land is only known by the elders, who know the way of the great white paper called plans.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:38 PM
CGRetired

That too.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:20 PM
mshay
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: skeletor507

First of all the power wires were not as close to us as you might think. My local club has wires right at one end of the runway, and second we chose this spot so that we would have the open area to fly up wind from us. What you don't see while the plane is at idle, is all the chain link fences marking bounderies for sports fields. Oh and by the way flycatch, it was not staged by any means. My buddy and I are both new to this hobby, I have just done more of my homework then he has, and when I tried to give him the answers he ignored me. He decided to put an onboard camera on, because he uses the same camera for riding his quad. It takes really nice video and is really durable, and thought that video from a first person view would look really good no matter what happens. So if anyone else has a snide comment on the video and the like, please go talk to a brick, because I don't wanna hear it. I know what we did was wrong, but like the title says, ''I Tried To Warn Him.'' Everyone says that you should have a spotter and that is all I was there for. Thank you and have a nice day.
The entire event was completely stupid, wreckless, and very irresponsible. You say you tried to warn him. You could have prevented rather than try to warn. You skelotor might want to go back to school because obviously you failed at your school work when it comes to the hobby.What a bunch of idiots newbies.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:07 PM
KitBuilder

JPJamie.... Yes it did .. but it sure is nice to be able to fly your creation digitally first. Especially if your venturing into new territory. I've been campaigning the 1/4 BUSA DR1 periodically getting ready for my winter build .

CG ... I agree there are reckless folks on both sides of the equation. What I was meaning is for those just starting out, first flight or less ... someone wouild be hard pressed to find a pilot with no experience sacrifcing thier build of 5 months on an unassisted first flight. Though just my opnion and I coiuld easily be wrong.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:12 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

You can't prevent someone from doing something stupid once they've made up their mind to ignore your advice. I would have had to watch his friend's folly also. Maybe from a little more of a safe distance incase he did hit those power lines, but I would have had to watch. And show the video.

I had a similar, albeit less consequencial experience with a fellow who was determined to maiden his new foamy Cessna 182 even after I offered to buddy box him for his first flight on one of my planes. I had my equipment right there and even showed him how it worked with my Super Cub, but he was determined to do it all himself. Of course, his first ever flight lasted about 20 seconds and his plane ended up in three pieces. Now he wants my help.

Maybe Skeletor's friend will learn something and try to be more responsible next time, maybe not. But......, if he hits those power lines next time, it will cost him a lot more than a plane and some pride!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:40 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Any trainer that needs speed brakes is too fast for a beginner.   Maybe if he had cut throttle to half after it lifted off, he might have had a better chance of flying it, but at WOT it is too fast for a beginner.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:44 PM
mshay

Humm now I know I posted a comment here 20 minutes ago....I guess skeletor must have deleted all the comments that hurt his feelings. I will sum up my previous post. You have done your home work?? You might want to attend some summer school classes, because you failed at doing the proper home work. You tried to warn him? You should have prevented the entire wreckless, irresponsible, stupid event. Don't attempt something like this again you inexperienced newbies. You could have caused a lot of damage to someone or someone's property. I laugh at you two for trying to fly without experience. Of course if you had an instructor it would have been different. Go back to school you rookies and get help before you hurt someone.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:12 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Harsh, maybe by now after pages of us screaming at them they get the point, we fly at fields designated for flying, away from people and cars and especially power lines[X(]
Old 04-16-2012, 06:22 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

this guy is a total donkey
Old 04-16-2012, 06:31 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

There's no reason for name calling or putting these guys down. They are newbies, pure and simple. Like all of us, they overestimated how easy this flying thing was going to be. But unlike most of us, they didn't have someone set them straight before they tried it.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:38 PM
5skyhawk172

+1

Old 04-16-2012, 07:06 PM
mshay

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

There's no reason for name calling or putting these guys down. They are newbies, pure and simple. Like all of us, they overestimated how easy this flying thing was going to be. But unlike most of us, they didn't have someone set them straight before they tried it.
there's all the reason in the world for the name calling and putting them down. If ya screw up you get drilled for it.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:26 PM
tmaucher

This guy is such a natural that I think his next plane should be a turbine. Lets up the anty.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Kicking a guy while he's down after messing up, especially when he knows he messed up, is not constructive. Agreed, the pilot did a reckless and dumb thing. I think we've established that as did the OP in his initial post. I'd like to see the situation bring out the best in the RC community, which it has done in many of the posts here. Constructive criticism, disapproval of the action but not the actor, help with finding an instructor, and a few good natured jabs at the goober who pulled this stunt are all evidence of that. But both of these guy are new to the hobby, and in the end, they didn't hurt anything. They easily could have and would have been liable, but they didn't. So let's not condemn them as idiots who have no place in the hobby until we see that they have no interest in learning the right way. From what I can tell, the OP is very interested in learning the right way and tried to talk his friend into it also. So how about let's help him instead of pushing him away?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 PM
tonyob

there's all the reason in the world for the name calling and putting them down. If ya screw up you get drilled for it.
So, if they'd fluked the trim on the plane and pulled it off that would have been fine, even though just as risky? Don't think so.

Can't see any reason to put these guys down. Lots of people have learned to fly without using a club or a trainer and have done so successfully. Some have also failed miserably and it's hurt our hobby. Best thing, in my opinion, is to point out the risk and explain that many have minimized the risk by using a club and club trainer.

In this case, no one got hurt, and that does count for something. It doesn't suddenly make it "responsible", but it keeps it in context.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:21 PM
BIGMIG

Well a crash video of a RC model i guess in a warped way can be kind of funny to watch if no one got hurt,and it wasen't your plane.
I would say the chance of a 40 size motor propeller cutting a heavy power line would be about the same as flying a hot air ballon to the moon.I have seen several cessna airplanes that hit them,killed the people but the lines were still there.

I crashed i don't know how many planes trying to learn on my own.Maybe if you buy a good supply of the lightweight foam cheapie models,you might learn to keep one in the air for a while if you can figure out how to make them fly right.There are some on the market that fly pretty darn good in the hands of someone that knows how to fly a RC model.The lighter they are and the slower they fly the less dammage they will sustain..in theory anyway.

I know a lot of guys who fly planes,and i don't think anyone of them could have had a successfull first flight with any model plane packing a 40 sized engine on a first un-a-sisted- flight......Would just find that hard to believe from anyone.

But i'll leave all the instructions ....planes to buy and try.....to the pro's which i'm not.
This has been a popular thread though with a lot of posts.....

BIGMIG

P.S. I will say it is amazzzzing sometimes what some of these balsa models can withstand in a crash........to bad some of the real ones don't do as well....

Wanted to post a picture of a plane i built that now hangs on the wall in my shop that has been ( RETIRED ).....My Son,Myself,and two others learned how to fly with this model.I couldn't even begin to tell you how many times it was crashed ....repaired and flown over again.It is and was still being flown when my Son and me was talking one day after flying it and we decided to hang it up on the wall as a conversion piece in the shop.......It was one tough model and served us well....[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74165.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1751439  
Old 04-17-2012, 02:05 AM
mrbeesboy

Ok.....I was the third person to post on this video and I never thought this thread would run 4 pages.....lol. Back when I originally saw this, I was like......What happened? What went wrong? After reading all the comments, I realized the difficulty that was taken on, by trying something that you don't have the experience/skill of being succesful. I take this thread to be "a training course'in a sense, where you need to getqualified/experience people that canhelp you be able to work yourselfup to flying thistype of plane. Yes, i'm a newbietoo. Being new to the RC world and being so excited about going out there and flying............I've learned from this thread......you still need to take a step back. Youhave to walk before you run. I understand the experienced person with their negative comments about what could have happend....i.e.... hitting the power lines....hurting someone.....andlosing the money inyour wallet, however, if this person was so excited about getting out there and having fun with flying...........I can see how that might have dilutedtheir thinking. Anyway, I will look for a good club, possible trainer and use a simulator to help me learn the right way. My Dad loved this sport and I just wish he was around where we could enjoy it together.
CAB
Old 04-17-2012, 02:10 AM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: KitBuilder

CG ... I agree there are reckless folks on both sides of the equation. What I was meaning is for those just starting out, first flight or less ... someone wouild be hard pressed to find a pilot with no experience sacrifcing thier build of 5 months on an unassisted first flight. Though just my opnion and I coiuld easily be wrong.
I couldn't agree more. You are right. I'll tell you this, though, I read here where someone has crashed as many as 5 planes in a year, some that many in a month, and laugh and joke about it (not all, but some do). I have crashed 4 planes in my RC flying career, and each and every one was my fault. I did something stupid or had a lapse of consentration, which caused a crash. And, I felt terrible about it. True, I've broken a few props or scratched a wing tip or two, but that is part of the early days of flying.

I just wish that potential RC pilots take the time to learn with the aid of an instructor. I know.. I know.. logistics often prevent this, but for the most part, most of these guys live close enough to get the instruction, but ignore the availability and just want to do it on their own. So be it. As some say, it takes a deep pocket, or one flight - one crash, and the RC career is over, I'm sorry to say.

CGr.

PS.. for those of you that want to "bad mouth" people here, be aware that I do read these posts and am pretty fast to press the delete button.

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil.

This is taken from the blurb directly over the Edit box.. Those are the rules.

CGr.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:47 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

I posted something along the same lines and pointed out that 99% of the people thought the video was funny, the other 1% can't stop themselves from criticizing. That very unoffensive post was deleted, probably because the "moderator" is one of the people saying he would never let someone like that in his club . Kind of harsh, eh? The moderator claims he doesn't like insults, but that really depends on who the person is posting, and who he is insulting.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:54 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

I totally agree the person posting this video needs to think long and hard about his actions. That plane could have knocked over that power line which could have fallen across a major interstate causing a 50+ car pile-up with women and children losing life and limb. Of course the downed power line would have caused a black-out leading to rioting, raping and pillaging of the nearby city which of course would have spread to other cities and eventually the whole nation. Eventually the government would fall and a dictator would rise imposing martial law on every citizen. So, my only question to the original poster is, why do you hate freedom so much?
Old 04-17-2012, 04:01 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: smithcreek

I posted something along the same lines and pointed out that 99% of the people thought the video was funny, the other 1% can't stop themselves from criticizing. That very unoffensive post was deleted, probably because the ''moderator'' is one of the people saying he would never let someone like that in his club . Kind of harsh, eh? The moderator claims he doesn't like insults, but that really depends on who the person is posting, and who he is insulting.
What got deleted. Looks like I am looking at it all. Some of the comments, I believe, were uncalled for. No, I am not a moderator.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:49 AM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: smithcreek

I posted something along the same lines and pointed out that 99% of the people thought the video was funny, the other 1% can't stop themselves from criticizing. That very unoffensive post was deleted, probably because the ''moderator'' is one of the people saying he would never let someone like that in his club . Kind of harsh, eh? The moderator claims he doesn't like insults, but that really depends on who the person is posting, and who he is insulting.
It's not a claim, it's a fact. Like it or not, I don't like people insulting others. That's not the reason I deleted your post. I'm quite sure you already know why, so I won't dignify your post by making further comments about it.

CGr.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:03 AM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: tfowen53

Go to a club? The closest club here in Dawsonville GA charges $250.00. Thats a lot just to see if you like the hobby. The club I started learning to fly with when I was stationed in Germany was $60.00. I think that around here they just don't want any new folks in the hobby unless you have lot of $$$.
Unless it is to keep out the rift raft.............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.