Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

30.5 will not start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 05:54 AM
Gravet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30.5 will not start.

Little history

Got the Baja two months ago and ran the heck outta it after the proper break-in. I got about two tanks through it without a hiccup. In fact, I never had a problem with the engine and at the time of disassembly, the engine was great.

After some bashing I threw a foam and broke a shock tower. I figured now would be a great time to order a few upgrades, take apart the car for learning (and rebuilding) purposes and clean it. Best way for me to really learn how these things tick is to simply take them apart. All the upgradesI ordered were non-engine related (since it was running great). So I disassembled the buggy while I waited for the parts to come back.

Two weeks later, the new parts are on and the buggy is re-assembled. I did remove the exhaust and carb during the assembly and had no problem getting everything back together properly. I DID reset the carb screws and set them to the standard 1.5 and 1.25 turns.

After everything was ready, charged and fueled, I started pulling. A dozen pulls nothing, a hundred pulls (and a few feet of pull cord) nothing.

Here is what I've done for trouble shooting:

- Checked flywheel to coil gap - business card
- Checked for spark - got shocked too many times and saw plenty of strong arcs
- Changed to new plugs
- De-flooded dozens of times (at least turning it over and pulling to clear and have put a few drops of oil in cylinder)
- Used a hair-dryer to warm and dry cylinder - desperation had set in

That was all over a few days, still noting, not even a pop. Time to dig deeper.

- Disassembled carb and reassembled finding nothing - replaced carb to engine gaskets
- Disassembled head - ring looked fine, head and piston looked fine - replaced head gasket
- Noticed my intake manifold was cracked (on the outside, the crack didn't make it to the inside) so I replaced it with a billet and those nice thick gaskets

Pull time. Nothing. I am lost and at the end of my rope. I'm a happy guy and all I want to do is drive this damn car around the fields. But, man is it wearing me out.

ANYideas are much appreciated?

I will admit to fiddling with my carb screws too much and I'm at the point where I'm not confident with how "tight" I'm screwing them to reset and then return to stock turns (1.5 and 1.25). Can someone measure their high and low screws (in mm) so I can at least confirm I'm close?
Old 04-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Gravet

Default RE: 30.5 will not start.

I see I've got 13 of ya.

Let's take a look at my starting procedure.

-Garage has been about 65 degrees the past few starts.
-Hasn't been started in weeks
-Gas cap tight
-Radio on
-Receiver on
-Choke off
-pump carb until fuel just starts coming out the other end of carb (more pumps?)
-Pull 20-30 times
-Set choke
-Pull 20-30 times
-Choke off
-Throttle wide open
-Pull, Pull, Pull

Anything I'm missing or doing that may warrant better results? Before all the problems it was a few pulls with choke on. Then a few pulls with choke off and it was ready to rock...

Old 04-12-2012, 12:08 PM
tapkoote

Try changing out the coils
some times the high tension wont be strong enough to over come the compression in the cylinder
check the rotor key hasn't sheared and threw the timing off
tap

Old 04-12-2012, 01:19 PM
savagecommander

if you can smell gas inside the cylinder when youre pulling it over with the plug out, fuel is getting in. prime the bulb, close the choke and pull. it should start up and quickly die. open the choke and pull, and it should fire up. if you have gas, and spark your needles arent open enough. dont rely on "stock settings" so much- they are different from engine to engine.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Gravet

Thanks for the ideas. I'll check out both and post my findings.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:20 AM
Gravet

I realize all carbs are different but I really need a baseline measurement because I'm worried I've turned the screws too far. If someone would, please close your high and low screws and measure the distance from the carb to the top of each screw. I can then take that measurement and seeif I've gone too far closed.

What damage can be done by crankingthe screws too far in when resetting?

Old 04-17-2012, 12:06 PM
tapkoote

You don't say what carb it is
the threads on those needle s are very fine
if you stripped a thread and it's in the fuel circut, the carbs junk
does it wet the plug with the choke on?
take the needles out and inspect them for damage, when you screw them in
just lightly to the seat, seats are aluminum
your problem is spark or timing, or you'd be getting a little pop as in the begining.
however, what ever it is let us know
tap
Old 04-17-2012, 01:47 PM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Gravet

What damage can be done by cranking the screws too far in when resetting?
Like tapkoote said, you could strip the needles by cranking on them too hard. If you're turning the needles all the way in, just go until you meet resistance. You don't need to turn them in hard. The stock needle settings you've been using sound about right. For stock needle settings for most of my carbs, I do some where around 1 1/2 turns on the low speed needle and 2 turns on the high, and adjust from there.

Sometimes to unflood an engine (if that happens to be the problem), I turn both needles in all the way and then try and start it (no choke, I think). That usually burns up whatever fuel is in the engine without pulling more fuel in. Then it's just a matter of readjusting the needles. I only mention this because when I first got into this, my first problem was a flooded engine, and turning it upside down and pulling the pull start didn't work for me when unflooding the engine.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Gravet

Thanks for the replies, folks. I'll pull the screws next week (busy week and will be gone over the weekend). The carb is whatever is stock on a 30.5 King Motor.

I didn't crank "too" hard. But, it seems like they both went down further than they should. It's frustrating because the thing was running great until I disassembled and reset the screws.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:05 PM
454chad
My Feedback: (28)

get rid of that carb and put a walbro 668 or a 990 on it that should fix the problem i had the same problem with my km good luck
Old 06-13-2012, 09:05 AM
nyctankman

Have u check for an air leak? I run a wb 990 on my 30.5 fm & the stock carb settings I ran to brake in was 1 5/8 on the high & 1 1/8 on the low. Let me know how it goes.