Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Royal Kits

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 04:58 PM
jjscott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Royal Kits

Oops. My MK kit may not be a Royal kit after all. I just realized my kit is a G and Royal's is a Q. A Royal 310Q was just listed on ebay with some pictures of the plans. There is a very slight size difference in span. The fuselage construction is basically the same with minor differences. The biggest difference is the Royal has wood construction for the cabin top behind the windshield. The MK shows a windscreen and cabin top as one piece back about to the rear seat. The Royal instructions included in my kit clearly are marked 310Q, so they don't belong with the MK kit.

It's a beautiful kit, but it apparently does not belong in the Royal thread.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78165.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1733078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63433.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1733079  
Old 02-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I followed that kit to see how it did. I'm glad you got it because I was more interested in the picture sheet of their other offerings. Is it possible that you could scan it and post it here? I had a JU-87B that I thought was one of their kits and would like to see the catalog sheet to verify.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2012, 03:29 PM
chistech

You have a rare kit as there were not a lot of MK kits made. In essence it is not a Royal as Royals were Marutakas which were originally MK. Below is some info I copied off a Marutaka site:

Mr. Masahiro Kato was a top FAI pattern pilot who won many Japanese National championships.

As many high level modelers, he was designing and building his machines himself. After establishing his own company, named M. Kato Model Aircraft Manufacturing Co. Ltd, he began selling his MK kits.
Parts were all first quality balsa, pre-cut and many already pre-formed. A very high level of quality was achieved, Mr. Kato being without any doubt a very perfectionnist man, how could he climb to the first place in his country otherwise?

His main products line consisted of high level aerobatic models but he also designed some scale warbird. These were soon handed over to Marutaka, so he could concentrate himself on Pattern flight, altough he continued to design and draw many scale models for Marutaka. His first scale model MK kits were diffused in very small numbers and they did certainly not bring him much money, considering the high level of craftmanship involved. I will try to establish a list of the now very scarse scale models kits and also give an outlook of his long list of stunt champions, designed by M. Kato or by some of his fellow competitors.

Some MK very first scale warbirds designed by M. Kato:

ZERO

KAWASAKI HI-61 "HIEN" WS 70 "

JUNKERS 87 D-5 WS 1875 mm 4 kg .60
Old 02-28-2012, 05:25 PM
jjscott

Michael, I'll post pictures of the catalog pages when I get a chance. My MK catalog does not show a B Stuka. As to the MK 310G, I haven't been able to find anything on it.

Jim
Old 02-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Riddle4U

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting history...thanks!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:56 AM
P-Y
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,
I'm starting to build a Royal C-47 that I bought one year ago. But there's a problem: wood parts don't fit the plans: they are slightly bigger than the plans. (in both directions)
I don't know if I'm using original or copied plans. What should I do? Should I just ignore it and try to build it as good as I can? Or should I buy new plans (which could possibly not fit my wood parts too) ?
Thanks.

PY
Old 03-05-2012, 01:23 PM
grh_70

The sure fire way would be to determine the exact amount of enlargement
needed to make the plans fit the parts, then have the plans scanned as a TIFF
file which can be imported into a CAD program capable of precise
enlargement/reduction. If you don’t have access to a suitable CAD
program, you can download DraftSight, a free AutoCad workalike.

Enlarge the plans by the exact amount required and save the file as a PDF using
a free converter such as Pdf995. Take the file to a plan printing service
and have it printed at 1 to 1 scale and problem solved

An easier way is to find a plan printing/copying service that is capable of
Copying and printing at the required scale in one operation. The problem
here is you are not likely to find one that can scale by other than full
unit percentages. For instance if you need 103.6% and they can do only
100, 105, 110… etc.

GeneH
Old 03-07-2012, 01:36 PM
P-Y

Gene, thanks for your answer.
I measured the length of the fuse and the length of the wings. They are about the same than the lengths of the Top Flite DC-3.
I need to increase the Fuse by 102.5% and the wings by 101.2%. I still haven't figured out what I'm gonna do, because I moved few month ago to an eastern European country and I don't know where I could do it (and I don't speak the local language yet) . May be I should have bought the TF DC-3 instead of the Royal
PY.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Sharpeye22

If your wood is correct and your plans are not. I have the Royal DC3 and could get my planes copied and send them to you if you are willing to reinburse me.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:19 PM
P-Y

Thanks Larry, but Paypal isn't available in the country where I am so it would have been difficult to reimburse you. (FYI, I'm in Belarus).
However, I'm going back home in 2 weeks for holidays and my brother will get the plans right for me.
Thanks again.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:40 PM
GrahamPC

I am currently building a Royal/Marutaka Zero 62 inch from an origional kit, and have started a build log here.

By the way, If anyone who follows this thread has any experience with fitting a four stroke in one of these, I'm pondering engine choices at present. I have some ideas but would be interested to hear about others experiences!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Riddle4U

Very nice. I am the originator of this thread and built the very plane you are building. Note the first pictures at the head of this thread. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Riddle4U

Oh, and while I am at it.......thanks to all of you for your contributions over what is now surprisingly four years of this threads existance! It has been a rough time for our nations economy and all of us! It is comforting that so many are continuing to find the time and money to continue their beloved hobby. Keep it up great folks, and lets all continue on with even greater fervor! Remember to support your hobby as a whole and bring in and help new people interested in model aviation. It is a worthy use of the time given all of us on this planet. Thanks, Eric!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

P-Y,
Considering the age of the kit, the plans shrink and expand over time so there will be differences between the parts and plans. A fudge factor will come in handy here. I have the same kit; what engines are you looking to put in him?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:12 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: GrahamPC

I am currently building a Royal/Marutaka Zero 62 inch from an origional kit, and have started a build log here.

By the way, If anyone who follows this thread has any experience with fitting a four stroke in one of these, I'm pondering engine choices at present. I have some ideas but would be interested to hear about others experiences!

I fit a 91 OS Surpass in my Royal FW 190, I didn't use the wood rails that are the original design and went with a engine box so I could move the fuel tank forward, I also did some modifications since my build was a clone of the kit I have in the box here is my build threadhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5620546/anchors_5620546/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#5620546 so far I haven't touched it in a few months until today when I started to work on it again I will update the thread shortly as I begin work on the model but you might find a tip or 2 in it from my ups and downs
I also increased the engine space by making a fiberglass cowl instead of the wood pile the original has the zero on the other hand has the metal spun cowl which serves the same purpose

Name:	Ca80614.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1752566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29734.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1752567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98361.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1752568  
Old 04-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Riddle4U

the original kit came with a spun aluminum cowl much like the zeke to my knowledge. So I have no idea what you refer to as the wood pile. I am pretty sure about that. Glad you at least found a glass cowl! Nice plane...keep her light of course.
as an edit the pics show really nice work and it looks terrific! Hope that encourages you.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:23 PM
bigtim

ORIGINAL: Riddle4U

the original kit came with a spun aluminum cowl much like the zeke to my knowledge. So I have no idea what you refer to as the wood pile. I am pretty sure about that. Glad you at least found a glass cowl! Nice plane...keep her light of course.
as an edit the pics show really nice work and it looks terrific! Hope that encourages you.
yes I know the aluminum cowl is just a small cone for the front of the cowl, the rest is solid wood blocks that form the cowl and blisters,there was no finding the cowl for my build

I built a plug from the formers and a replica of my aluminum cowl front cast in plaster, I then made the cowl for the kit using a 5 piece form I built, if any one is interested in a cowl I can make one up for a nominal fee if you read through my build thread I detail the steps I took to make the plug and cowl it took about 2 weeks to do just the form for the fiberglass cowl.

there is a guy that goes by the name of royalfarms that has been laser cutting the short kits for some of the Royal planes hopefully he comes out with the FW190 its a clean looking plane in this size range

Name:	Us53865.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1752593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94527.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	1752594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie97938.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1752595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98978.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1752596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88365.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1752597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49316.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1752598  
Old 04-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Riddle4U

I guess I didn't realize the aluminum part on the original cowl only went back a short distance. Great job on the cowl form and plug as well as the final part! The FW is one of the more true to form Royal designs in my opinion. Looks great. -Eric
Old 04-20-2012, 02:58 PM
bigtim

since I cloned my kit I wanted to do some upgrades, I built up some of the tail structure to accommodate the retractable tail wheel and also lightened up some areas, the gun hood was from a after market part I got from fiberglass specialties and did some modifications on, having the fiberglass cowl makes the engine space much larger which is part of the reason I did it.

the other was just the experience of making a part from a mold
Old 04-20-2012, 07:25 PM
byjoe
My Feedback: (3)

I had a st 90 in my Zero. It kept cutting out about half way in flight. I put a tt91 4c in it up right.there is a video of it flying on Utub.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:15 PM
bigtim

ORIGINAL: byjoe

I had a st 90 in my Zero. It kept cutting out about half way in flight. I put a tt91 4c in it up right.there is a video of it flying on Utub.
got a link there's a ton of royal zero videos on the tube hard to tell which one is which I did a search and couldn't find any thing
Old 04-25-2012, 04:10 PM
MN Flyer

Big Tim - I purchased one of Royal Farms FW kits and it looks great really well done. I noticed that he has not sold any more kits since and does not return e-mail. I wonder if he got into trouble for selling the kits?? Does anyone own the rights to Royal anymore? Hopefully he will be back with more especially the P-38.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:16 PM
johnboy151a
My Feedback: (68)

I got the FW-190 short kit from him too, great work. He is a full time farmer and this is one of his busy seasons. Cutting these kits is just something for his off season time. I doubt he got in any trouble for selling that kits, a couple folks have been selling copies of Royal kit plans, engine cowls, decals and canopy's for a couple of years now. I spoke with him a couple of times and is real easy to work with. Still waiting for him to get around to cutting the Royal Stuka.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:40 PM
bigtim

agreed these kits have been out of production for quite a while, rumor has it that he is working on a 60 size RUFE float plane that one is on my list of short kits to get
Old 04-26-2012, 07:30 AM
byjoe
My Feedback: (3)

The link to utub is [email protected]. under jerrys zero.

Jerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.