Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Earthquake 3.5 motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Toby2500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Earthquake 3.5 motor

I have a earthquake 3.5 with a bad motor. Was wondering which motor I can replace it with without major work was thinking a sh.28 and ideas or help ??
Old 04-16-2012, 05:31 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Earthquake 3.5 motor

ORIGINAL: Toby2500

I have a earthquake 3.5 with a bad motor. Was wondering which motor I can replace it with without major work was thinking a sh.28 and ideas or help ??
why not just drop a new SH .21 in? The .21 has plenty of power IMO.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Toby2500

I just figured if I'm going to buy a new motor might as well try to go a little bigger and I always have to make sure I can beat the tmaxxes no problem. My buddy has got one I already beat him just figured why not go bigger it's better right
Old 04-16-2012, 05:55 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just figured if I'm going to buy a new motor might as well try to go a little bigger and I always have to make sure I can beat the tmaxxes no problem. My buddy has got one I already beat him just figured why not go bigger it's better right
i see.

well i think the .21 and .28 are both considered big blocks. I cant say how much it will take to make the .28 fit in the earthquake...but id bet it will take less work than any other upgrade.

Of course, if you are worried about top speed...there is always alittle play with the gearing even on the stock .21 motor.

drag racing nitros is cool...unlike electrics its more about setup. Your buddy can have an insane motor...but if he doesnt know how to tune it will it wont matter. Im assuming your buddy has a tmaxx or revo? Your earthquake is lighter to start with. less wieght means less power is needed.

My buddy had a aftershock 3.5 and the speed blew me away. it could accelerate as fast as my brushless truck on 2s lipo...and had a higher top speed!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:45 PM
kchobbies

he is completely correct no reason to switch to bigger motor but they are very easy to swap beacue yes the .21 and .28 are big blocks so the motor mounts swap right over but also gotta think going to bigger motor means faster fuel consumption i know my aftershock has the .28 in it currently for demos but i also have a sirio .21 race motor i run in it at the track beacue their is about a 40 dollar diff between the two and question how did your .21 blow?
ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

i see.

well i think the .21 and .28 are both considered big blocks. I cant say how much it will take to make the .28 fit in the earthquake...but id bet it will take less work than any other upgrade.

Of course, if you are worried about top speed...there is always alittle play with the gearing even on the stock .21 motor.

drag racing nitros is cool...unlike electrics its more about setup. Your buddy can have an insane motor...but if he doesnt know how to tune it will it wont matter. Im assuming your buddy has a tmaxx or revo? Your earthquake is lighter to start with. less wieght means less power is needed.

My buddy had a aftershock 3.5 and the speed blew me away. it could accelerate as fast as my brushless truck on 2s lipo...and had a higher top speed!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Toby2500

Believe it was bad from redcat just got the truck a week ago and have had nothing but problems with it getting it to run . Gotta send the motor out to redcat to get the problem resolved just trying to put something else into the truck for now and I figured as long as I was doing that might as well try something bigger and maybe leave it that way and keep the .21 that redcat sends back to me as a spare. I don't know these are my ideas and help or insight is appreciated
Old 04-18-2012, 01:49 PM
kchobbies

no worries does your motor have compression and air leaks anywhere?? because they are known too have some occasional air leaks cause them to run for min or two then die out (not redcats fault though just part of a new car everything has its flaws part of mass production).... well feel free if ever have any questions to PM me been helping alot of the new members and what not and can even join us on facebook.com/kchobbie

Believe it was bad from redcat just got the truck a week ago and have had nothing but problems with it getting it to run . Gotta send the motor out to redcat to get the problem resolved just trying to put something else into the truck for now and I figured as long as I was doing that might as well try something bigger and maybe leave it that way and keep the .21 that redcat sends back to me as a spare. I don't know these are my ideas and help or insight is appreciated
Old 04-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one thing I would consider is your drive train.  I don't have an Earthquake but have been looking them over.  I think the diffs are smaller and probably weaker than what is in my Monsoon XTR.  What I can tell you that is my Monsoon is a Torque monster.  I think if that engine were put into a drive train with weaker components you'll be replacing all of that too.  Just something to think about.